Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How far is it from Oakdale to Chicago?

Wouldn't one expect it to be a suburb of the big city?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2024 8:34 PM

Callous posers from both coasts always trying to put down Oakdale.

by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2024 1:46 AM

Farther when Marland is in charge.

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2024 3:31 AM

Utter Llanview nut here- but I have become a massive fan of Barbara . And I would also watch Lucinda during OLTL commercials.

And when JULIANNE FUCKING MOORE returns for the finale? Come on!!

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2024 3:43 AM

As the World Turns Oakdale or Edge of Night's Oakdale?

by Anonymousreply 4May 19, 2024 3:52 AM

About 500K a year.

by Anonymousreply 5May 19, 2024 3:56 AM

ATWT r4

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2024 2:23 AM

I'm watching an episode from 1988 and Holden is on a private jet from Chicago to Oakdale.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2024 1:42 AM

Didn't Lisa walk from Oakdale to Chicago back in the 60s when they tried to give her her own show?

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2024 2:17 AM

R4, I think they were supposed to be the same place, no?

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2024 1:09 AM

[quote]As the World Turns Oakdale or Edge of Night's Oakdale?

Edge of Night was set in Monticello.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2024 1:16 AM

They never really said. I think both Oakdale and Springfield were supposed to be generally in IL, close enough to Chicago that one could drive or fly. (Which would really mean more Indianapolis, but that's neither here nor there).

Monticello was supposedly a suburb of Cincinnati.

Henderson....well, who knows where the fuck THAT was.....

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2024 1:22 AM

In 2006, Barbara bought Casey and Gwen tickets to attend the "Acid Ran" concert in Chicago, so they could check out potential bands for Lisa to book at her club.

When Casey had to convince Gwen to go with him (she and Will were newlyweds and Gwen didn't think she should leave her husband) Casey didn't understand the issue and said, "IT'S ONLY AN HOUR AWAY."

They took a bus to get there and back.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2024 2:20 AM

Donna Love could see Chicago from her penthouse.

Salem was also set in the region. When seeking a babysitter for Belle, Marlena said she had to look as far as Chicago to find one.

When Jeanne Cooper died, an article in Salem newspaper said "Genoa City Morns the Loss of Beloved Citizen" or something like that. It seemed a very respectful way to tie the shows together.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2024 2:41 AM

Bay City was also Illinois. An Irna Phillips affectation?

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2024 2:43 AM

Oh that’s by Elgin

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2024 2:48 AM

While Chicago is mentioned in SALEM, USA, it's zip code places it somewhere in Connecticut, yet we've seen the Missouri state flag used in its police station and courtroom.

It's a fluid kind of place.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2024 3:07 AM

R14 I assume so. She was from Ohio but despite not really mentioning a particular state she was describing Middle America, and Illinois is pretty dang middle.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2024 3:55 AM

[quote] Donna Love could see Chicago from her penthouse.

I see everything from my lovely little perch!

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2024 3:56 AM

Bay City and Somerset are both actual cities in Michigan....I thought that's where the soaps were set?

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2024 10:46 AM

R19 Bay City apparently was considered in IL. I don't know why. I assumed the same as you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2024 5:18 PM

Irna lived in Chicago , as did Bill Bell, so she set all her shows in Illinois. The Bells had a vacation home in Lake Geneva, and they passed through Genoa City, WI, to get there; which is how Y&R came to be set there.

Agnes Nixon lived on the Main Line in Philadelphia, so Corinth, Llanview and Pine Valley were located there.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2024 5:47 PM

All true, though Genoa City was really just the borrowing of a name, as the GC shown on YR is radically different than the real one.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2024 6:33 PM

When Genoa City became more of an urban setting, the show would often use Pittsburgh for its atmosphere shots and location shoots. Places like Newman Towers, Genoa City Memorial Hospital, the Genoa City Police Department building, and its International Airport, etc. all had real counterparts in Pittsburgh.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2024 6:56 PM

R23 Yes, I remember they did some outdoor shots there. ATWT did some too, in its last year or so.

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2024 7:04 PM

I always thought Genoa City was a stupid name for a soap location. It’s not even a port city like Genoa in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2024 7:05 PM

Found the ATWT one right quick. Filmed over near/at the Mattress Factory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2024 7:05 PM

In the very first episode of Y&R, we see the type of small Wisconsin town Genoa City was originally envisioned to be as Brad Eliot is being driven into town by a truck driver who'd picked him on the road.

And in the next scene, Sally McGuire peers out a window and reinforces this idea when she bemoans what "a drag it is being stuck in a place like Genoa City."

At least she had Snapper's hot cock to entertain her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2024 9:28 PM

Philece Sampler was the definitive Donna Love.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2024 9:35 PM

Yeah, about as definitive as Susan Batten was as Connor Walsh.

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2024 9:37 PM

Tonya Pinkins mentions ATWT in an interview.

She mentions Marland but also a "toxic culture"....but I think most of her time on screen at ATWT was before Marland came onboard. Or a big chunk of it, anyway. ATWT was trying anything to stay afloat before he got there.

[quote[ “We were the kids,” Pinkins says. “[Late Head Writer] Doug Marland was a great, great writer, but there was a culture there that was incredibly toxic. It was like the writers were reading all the soap mags and finding out what was going on in people’s real lives and putting that into the show. It was very tense.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 29, 2024 1:15 AM

(and also, Tonya is a little bit cuckoo)

by Anonymousreply 31May 29, 2024 1:15 AM

I recall Tonya doing an interview with Soap Opera Digest or Soap Opera Weekly, and saying she didn’t get along with ATWT’s EP at the time, Robert Calhoun.

by Anonymousreply 32May 29, 2024 1:19 AM

In the 1970s, Bay City was implied to be in Michigan. Harding Lemay never expressly said it was in Michigan, but he definitely never said, or implied, that Bay City was just outside of Chicago.

In the early 80s, the exact location of Bay City was changed to Illinois, making it a suburb of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 33May 29, 2024 2:49 AM

R33 Madonna was born in Bay City. MI. It’s very small.

So when Beth ran off to the beach on GL, and Lujack followed her, was it a Great Lakes beach?

by Anonymousreply 34June 7, 2024 10:14 PM

It may as well be a million miles..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35June 7, 2024 10:20 PM

R34, great question! Springfield, at various times, had beaches, lakes, rivers, and sometimes seemed to be close to an ocean (which baffled me).

I was the biggest fan of GL for many, many years. In 1987, when I was a senior in high school, I met a guy who had been offered a writing job on the show. He ultimately turned it down due to a writers’ strike. However, the show had given him a lot of background info including a map of Springfield, etc. He gave me all of the stuff the show had furnished. It was all ruined when my parents’ basement flooded.

by Anonymousreply 36June 8, 2024 3:51 PM

You live in your parents' basement?

by Anonymousreply 37June 8, 2024 8:31 PM

No, R37, lol. While I was at college their basement flooded and I lost a lot things that I wish I hadn’t.

by Anonymousreply 38June 8, 2024 8:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!