Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Opinion Piece from the WaPo

This one made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Please talk me down off the ledge, DLers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102December 6, 2023 9:47 PM

Nope. They're right.

Seriously, people, have your passports in order.

by Anonymousreply 1November 30, 2023 1:37 PM

Chilling. And totally plausible.

by Anonymousreply 2November 30, 2023 1:37 PM

And so many thought that holding up all those senior military promotions had something to do with abortions.

If elected Trumps choices will be running the military in a way he did not run it the first time.

The key now is for brain dead young progressives to insult and demonize everyone who does not agree with them on all issues 100% of the time. That is called expanding you base in reverse. Fucking morons.

Yes it could happen. It’s also very possible nether Biden or Trump will make it until Nov 2024. Either way you are going to be politically unstable and politically fucked for decades. You will never live long enough to see the kind of stable democracy I grew up with.

Stay on that ledge

by Anonymousreply 3November 30, 2023 1:40 PM

Can't help you. Many of us have been predicting this for awhile. It's all over.

It's their world. And they've built it in their image.

And us gays and lesbians? They may not build camps, but we're fucked. Those hard won freedoms will be gone. It's already happening in dribs and drabs all over the country. The deluge is coming.

by Anonymousreply 4November 30, 2023 1:44 PM

That's probably true, R4, if Trump gets in and survives even a term.

But the difference between now and the time before those hard won freedoms existed, is that partly because of the work done in America they still do exist elsewhere in the world. I'd recommend holidaying in Canada in January 2024.

by Anonymousreply 5November 30, 2023 1:50 PM

It's not as bad as you think- it's worse. Most Americans have no idea the guardrails and goodwill glue holding our Democracy together are so fragile and easily toppled. Throughout our human history there is an unwritten Universal contract mandating bad guys tell you their plans before they do it. Fascist leaders, dictators don't just happen out of thin air. Some of the language may be coded but a historical reverse look show there were no surprises. We are already knee deep in 'Nuremberg laws of 1935' copycat inspirational proposals around the country. I always believed America would go through a fascist phase, I just never expected it in my lifetime. God, I pray that I am terribly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 6November 30, 2023 1:53 PM

The most chilling part is the author's calling out the complicity of the Media. Everything else, his predictions about how the narrative unfolds, is all pretty well known and predictable. Nothing new, but I'm glad he said it outloud.

What discourages me most is voter behavior and the way the GOP has analyzed it correctly for decades. They weaponized the low information voters, these are the voters who live in their own bubble and do not react to public policy unless it directly affects them. Example: Lowering the cost of Insulin for Diabetics. If they aren't directly affected by this, they don't care. These are also people who think everything is always too expensive and resent paying for anything. Gasoline and groceries. housing, etc.

The constant refrain about Biden's age is simple and easy to grasp for them. "Biden's too old" has resonated with them just like "Emails!!!" did. My concern is that the general public doesn't know Kamala Harris well enough, leaving it up to the Republicans to define her, and they will. They have already begun to both dismiss her and demonize her.

by Anonymousreply 7November 30, 2023 2:22 PM

It is scary, OP.

I shared this almost a month ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8November 30, 2023 2:29 PM

R5 do you mean January 2025?

by Anonymousreply 9November 30, 2023 2:29 PM

What worries me is not the campaign. I am concerned about the Dems getting the House and keeping the Senate. If Trump is the nominee, they will invalidate enough votes in enough states, and refuse to certify results and install him as POTUS. That is their ground game as we speak, and not nearly enough attention is being given to the restrictive outrageous voting laws and requirements being passed in state legislatures right now.

by Anonymousreply 10November 30, 2023 2:32 PM

Biden beat Orange Caligula once already, he will do it again.

by Anonymousreply 11November 30, 2023 2:33 PM

R11 is the attitude that will kill us all.

R10 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 12November 30, 2023 2:34 PM

This is nonsense fearmongering.

It's weird to me how so many people are cheer-leading this notion, like they actually WANT it to happen.

Even on the Left.

by Anonymousreply 13November 30, 2023 2:56 PM

It is not nonsense. It's that kind of dismissiveness that will allow it to happen.

by Anonymousreply 14November 30, 2023 2:59 PM

[quote]Seriously, people, have your passports in order.

Where are you gonna go? Who will take you? On what basis? Why would, say, Canada or Mexico want you, thus antagonizing Trump's administration?

by Anonymousreply 15November 30, 2023 3:03 PM

[quote] And so many thought that holding up all those senior military promotions had something to do with abortions.

Just bears a reposting, because THIS 👆.

by Anonymousreply 16November 30, 2023 3:05 PM

Oh yeah, R13, we want it to happen.

Been around the past eight years? Better yet, are you sentient?

by Anonymousreply 17November 30, 2023 3:05 PM

We have some options. I am reviewing them and determining best courses of action.

Like Nazi Germany times, there will be a small window before other countries refuse entry.

by Anonymousreply 18November 30, 2023 3:06 PM

Pray for a Lee Harvey Oswald.

by Anonymousreply 19November 30, 2023 3:06 PM

I do think there is a carefully orchestrated attempt to try establishing a Gilead here. Tuberville's shenanigans, the House Speaker, etc. They've been planning this shit for awhile.

Hopefully, the voters turn out but I wouldn't be surprised if they steal another election. What was up with Trumps little trip to that south American shithole to see the new dictator?

by Anonymousreply 20November 30, 2023 3:30 PM

Biden’s chances of being reelected are looking more and more like a fantasy. Trump can only run for one more term. 4 years can cause a lot of damage however.

by Anonymousreply 21November 30, 2023 3:33 PM

Get your passports in order. They are coming for us when he is president.

by Anonymousreply 22November 30, 2023 3:38 PM

But seriously, can we not find any two people in the US more suited to this job than these two?

by Anonymousreply 23November 30, 2023 3:46 PM

R23's attitude is the problem. You only get two choices, sorry. And one is a Nazi. Just hold your fucking nose and vote for Biden.

by Anonymousreply 24November 30, 2023 3:49 PM

Stop buying in to the horse race hype, and the personalities, promoted by the Media. They just repeat the GOP talking point. Age. No one wants to talk about accomplishments. Because honestly WTF have Republicans accomplished? Let's start thinking about POLICY. The Democratic Party and all the candidates who are Democrats, are heading in the direction I need to go. Get on the damned bus.

by Anonymousreply 25November 30, 2023 6:20 PM

R25, as much as I understand and appreciate what you are saying. I don't think talking about accomplishments resonates with the average 'general election' Joe Six-Pack American voter. Having said that, I think we Dems need to run on the former Repub issues of guns, abortion and personal freedoms ( 'nanny state' telling you what u can /can't do). Those issues poll well for Dems and can bring over some undecided and 'I cannot vote for a trump' R voters.

by Anonymousreply 26November 30, 2023 7:32 PM

R26, how are Dems going to run pro-gun?

by Anonymousreply 27November 30, 2023 7:38 PM

Or be tough on crime, make the border secure, cut off illegal immigration,

Former dem positions that became gop positions that poll well with a lot of people including Dems.

by Anonymousreply 28November 30, 2023 7:44 PM

SHRIEK!

by Anonymousreply 29November 30, 2023 7:49 PM

I disagree. I think we should blast huge, ropey loads with President Biden's big dick accomplishments in the face of America and compare it to Dump's three incher's dribbles of watery, STI infested jizzum.

While Dump claimed he'd present "the best" healthcare plan in a "two weeks" timeframe that never came, yapped about infrastructure that was never built, and swore to bring manufacturing back to the US...big dick Joe Biden didn't just make promises, he delivered on them.

Biden should definitely highlight that he is the candidate who is holding the line on Democracy, on abortion staying legal, on growing the middle class, and on not giving our country over to the billionaires like sniveling bitch Trump will. But to discount everything he has done would be ludicrous!

Someone should take credit for it all and if it isn't the guy who got it done, it WILL be the shitbags across the aisle.

by Anonymousreply 30November 30, 2023 7:55 PM

We're post-fact, kids.

Give 'em tough on crime, make the border secure, cut off illegal immigration. The dupes want red state meat. Give it to them.

And no more soul of America it's her turn bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 31November 30, 2023 7:57 PM

[quote]While Dump claimed he'd present "the best" healthcare plan in a "two weeks" timeframe that never came

I'm still working on it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32November 30, 2023 8:02 PM

Well at least don’t run on , weak on crime, an open border , and lots more illegal immigration.

by Anonymousreply 33November 30, 2023 8:03 PM

R24 No one said I wasn't going to do that, you fat cunt. But after 2020 was decided by a relatively thin margin I can't believe the same two candidates are our choices.

by Anonymousreply 34November 30, 2023 8:58 PM

Dems should run two campaigns. A Positive campaign and a negative campaign. Go after the Republican Congress. All that "We go high" bullshit is for the Positive cam[aign. The Negative cam[aign should kick ass. As my old Auntie Jo used to say:Put their asses against the wall and keep them there." Or as Uncle Jimmy would say, "Kick their asses until their noses bleed."

by Anonymousreply 35November 30, 2023 9:01 PM

Nothing would please me more than to see a really decisive lop-sided victory, where Trump gets his ass handed to him.

by Anonymousreply 36November 30, 2023 9:03 PM

And this author is no wild-eyed liberal, but a neocon.

by Anonymousreply 37November 30, 2023 9:10 PM

I agree that the situation is dire, but I think Kagan underestimates Democratic cohesion and D-leaning independents, especially once Trump gets the nomination.

[quote]Biden is unable to make the usual incumbent’s claim that electing his opponent is a leap into the unknown

This cuts both ways: Trump's being a known quantity hurts him, too. Those that voted against Trump in 2020—by a margin of seven million—have little reason to come around to him when he's promising to do the same as before, only more so. MI and PA have leaned blue since 2016, including in this month's elections, and that's true elsewhere, too. Don't despair, work!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 30, 2023 9:33 PM

To R38’s point, this election has yet to be joined. While we may be hanging on every Trump utterance & (mis)deed, we are not representative of the general election voting public. The onslaught against Trump will be relentless. He, not Biden, will be the issue.

by Anonymousreply 39November 30, 2023 9:47 PM

r27, Dems would place focus on guns in next election. Not (pro) gun- but anti-gun. Every real poll shows Dems and R -both- want to see gun controls.

by Anonymousreply 40November 30, 2023 10:42 PM

I do think gun control is a theoretical winner. But so far, the proven vote getter on our side is abortion. Again and again and again Americans are voting, not just polling, in favor of abortion rights over banning it.

by Anonymousreply 41November 30, 2023 10:47 PM

I don't disagree that what is proposed in the article isn't in the realm of possibility, but you'll never get me to believe that the Media (WAPO included) hasn't been complicit in ushering in this foretold *Apocalypse*.

by Anonymousreply 42November 30, 2023 10:54 PM

Both WAPO and the New York Times have been complicit.

by Anonymousreply 43December 1, 2023 2:32 AM

Yes thanks, R9. I was sober but it was very late at night.

by Anonymousreply 44December 1, 2023 5:59 AM

[quote]Trump can only run for one more term.

Yeah, they said that about Putin too.

You are totally not getting it if you think like that. If he wins, this is the last election of your lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 45December 1, 2023 6:02 AM

I live in a purple city surrounded by deep red voters on every side, but 3 progressive candidates just soundly beat 3 conservative candidates in city-wide races who burned up a ton of money in fear-mongering ads about crime, safety, homelessness, etc. The problem is not with the voters, the problem is with the electoral college. By lapping up 30 or so low population rural states, the Republican Party has put itself in the permanent position of always being close to winning the presidency - even if their candidates lose the popular vote by 10 million votes or more. It was a cynical and undemocratic move on the part of the Republicans, but it has been hugely successful. An electoral college win would make Trump and the Republicans feel that the country had given him a mandate, no matter if he lost the popular vote by 12,000,000. Ironically the Republican party has done nothing, policy-wise, to help those rural states and their rural populations, other than giving them scapegoats and bogeymen to blame their woes on.

by Anonymousreply 46December 1, 2023 8:00 AM

R32 That's the thing...Obamacare DOESN'T suck and is better than ANYTHING a millionaire and his cabinet full of rich white dudes could come up with.

I'm not sure where this glimmer of hope is coming from. CNN is constantly talking about how well Trump is doing in the polls despite being up on 91 FUCKING charges.

by Anonymousreply 47December 1, 2023 10:36 AM

So cnn is reporting the news. Trump is doing real well in the polls and he has a shit load of charges against him. We all know that. The gop ones that. Trump knows that. The WH knows that.

You want hope or a report that shows what is happening on the ground in real time as of now?

by Anonymousreply 48December 1, 2023 10:41 AM

[quote] Those that voted against Trump in 2020—by a margin of seven million—have little reason to come around to him when he's promising to do the same as before, only more so.

I’ll say this. trump wranglers have done an excellent job keeping him calmer and quieter this go around. trump can never help himself and lets slip just how scorched earth he plans to go here and there but overall? A lot less coverage of controversial statements from him. This has to be by design. If he was as outspoken as he was in 2015, everyone would be on red alert as we were in 2020.

by Anonymousreply 49December 1, 2023 3:59 PM

R49

And watch the gop down play abortion this go around. Something like we are against it but it’s a states issue to decide nota federal issue. That approach tries to tamper down pro and anti on this issue. Just hope it’s kind of a non issue.

by Anonymousreply 50December 1, 2023 4:29 PM

"I’ll say this. trump wranglers have done an excellent job keeping him calmer and quieter this go around."

Are you on crack? He's constantly ranting and raving and saying the craziest shit that the media then reports on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 1, 2023 4:37 PM

R49 lives in a cave.

by Anonymousreply 52December 1, 2023 4:52 PM

[quote]He's constantly ranting and raving and saying the craziest shit that the media then reports on.

And yet ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 1, 2023 7:07 PM

[quote] [R49] lives in a cave.

For those of us who are the most virulent of Trump haters, we're on top of every Trump maniacal utterance. But the masses aren't not because he's not top of mind. That changes dramatically when he's in office and/or the presidential nominee.

by Anonymousreply 54December 2, 2023 10:52 AM

Kagan’s article makes it sound as if tRump retaking the Oval Office is all but inevitable.

[quote] This is the trajectory we are on now. Is descent into dictatorship inevitable? No. Nothing in history is inevitable. Unforeseen events change trajectories. Readers of this essay will no doubt list all the ways in which it is arguably too pessimistic and doesn’t take sufficient account of this or that alternative possibility. Maybe, despite everything, Trump won’t win. Maybe the coin flip will come up heads and we’ll all be safe. And maybe even if he does win, he won’t do any of the things he says he’s going to do. You may be comforted by this if you choose.

[quote] What is certain, however, is that the odds of the United States falling into dictatorship have grown considerably because so many of the obstacles to it have been cleared and only a few are left. If eight years ago it seemed literally inconceivable that a man like Trump could be elected, that obstacle was cleared in 2016. If it then seemed unimaginable that an American president would try to remain in office after losing an election, that obstacle was cleared in 2020. And if no one could believe that Trump, having tried and failed to invalidate the election and stop the counting of electoral college votes, would nevertheless reemerge as the unchallenged leader of the Republican Party and its nominee again in 2024, well, we are about to see that obstacle cleared as well. In just a few years, we have gone from being relatively secure in our democracy to being a few short steps, and a matter of months, away from the possibility of dictatorship.

The sliver of hope is that voters — when energized and enthusiastic — have beat back the odds over the last several election cycles. Let’s hope that continues next year.

by Anonymousreply 55December 2, 2023 11:22 AM

[quote]Not (pro) gun- but anti-gun. Every real poll shows Dems and R -both- want to see gun controls.

They say it but don’t mean it.

by Anonymousreply 56December 2, 2023 11:47 AM

[quote]You are totally not getting it if you think like that. If he wins, this is the last election of your lifetime.

No, dear.

by Anonymousreply 57December 2, 2023 11:48 AM

[quote]Please talk me down off the ledge, DLers!

Why?

by Anonymousreply 58December 2, 2023 11:50 AM

We're already seeing the beginnings of a civil war in this country. January 6 reflected it. Polarization and inaction in Congress will fuel apathy and enmity. We've also witnessed attacks on public officials (or their relatives). And we have elected officials (Greene) who are suspected of involvement in terrorist attacks (pipe bombs found att RNC and DNC headquarters before Jan 6).

Biden needs to step aside.

by Anonymousreply 59December 2, 2023 12:24 PM

[quote] Barring some miracle, Trump will soon be the presumptive Republican nominee for president. When that happens, there will be a swift and dramatic shift in the political power dynamic, in his favor. Until now, Republicans and conservatives have enjoyed relative freedom to express anti-Trump sentiments, to speak openly and positively about alternative candidates, to vent criticisms of Trump’s behavior past and present.

Not sure what world this columnist is living in but none of this has actually happened. There is little, very little, to no opposition to Trump in the MAGA-led Republican party. He’s just making this shit up to sound reasonable.

OP, and others, you have to remember when this guy says “we” he doesn’t mean, we Americans. He means WE, THE MEDIA. These are two very different things.

You can dismiss the polls, and generally you should, but as some commentators have pointed out, there’s usually some interesting information in a legitimate poll. But mostly, people just focus on the horse race aspect which, 11 months out from an election, is not worth betting on. Most interesting are determining where the votes are, where is the unmined support? Because the while Trump has a hard ceiling of support, which is vulnerable, the votes to elect Biden are out there. Those voters just need to be activated.

But more than anything, whatever you think this election is about right now, 10 months from now all it’s going to be about is: do I want to see Donald Trump go to jail? Or do I want Trump to get off scott free? In the tradition of the best American reality tv shows, I think the majority of Americans - who are so sick of Trump and his followers and everything they represent - are going to want to vote Trump off the island and are more interested in seeing him tried and sentenced without a pardon than there are those who want to hand over the keys to the country again. Trump is not an American in the patriotic sense and I think there are still more Americans present in the country from Liz Cheney to Kamala Harris and everyone in between than there are chaos agents. Forty million people do not want to lose their health care - and it is well beyond the time when Trump can say, “I alone can fix it,” when we know he is a do-nothing traitor to democracy. He’s not going to fucking fix anything. The GOP can barely manage to support a den leader in the House. They’re not going to do anything with a 3 vote majority for the next year and they will lose the House.

Of course the media is obsessed with Trump and always have been and they will continue to prop him up and make him seem like a viable possibility. Meanwhile, serious people need to get involved, avoid feelings of defeat when there is everything to play for. Focus less on just Joe Biden and more on the Biden administration - both of which are highly capable and have already established a great record of achievements which you should be familiar with before worrying about TikTok. There is a deep bench of leadership in the Democratic party which FNC ably demonstrated the other night. Plus Trump has not only his astounding personal and legal baggage but also the baggage of his party, the Dobbs decision and everything else his SCOTUS is up to - George Santos is just the tip of that iceberg.

So don’t worry - get active. There’s plenty to work with. Get involved. Now. Don’t just rollover because of one columnist. We have saved democracy before. And we will do it again.

by Anonymousreply 60December 2, 2023 12:58 PM

Great post, R60!

by Anonymousreply 61December 2, 2023 1:08 PM

[quote] Will corporate executives endanger the interests of their shareholders just because they or their spouses hate Trump? It’s not surprising that people with hard cash on the line are the first to flip.

I mean what is this guy even talking about? At present, corporate executives are fleeing Twitter because of their refusal to support wannabe dictator Elon Musk, who is pretty closely aligned to Trump. While I agree with the nomination will come more money - maybe, I mean, do corporate executives really want to foot Trump’s legal bills? Because he’s not doing much campaigning - but the money is more likely to come from the likes of Leonard Leo, etc. and the continued small dollar donations. If anything, corporate executives will realise the power they have by NOT donating to Trump. I mean, state GOP operations are broke. Trump has bled them dry. Securing the nomination - for a candidate who has yet to be legally confirmed on a number of state primary ballots (which will be decided this month) - doesn’t necessarily mean his coffers will fill to the top. It might actually solidify support for Biden. With all of his time-wasting messing around with regulations and boycotts, etc. that he did in his first term, I don’t necessarily see why industry would be that enamoured with a 2nd Trump term. It may not have gotten a lot of play in the media but I’m sure corporate execs are aware of how much Trump fucked over WI in his 1st term. Just about 18 months out of the pandemic now, I can’t imagine they’re interested in more stock market chaos and costly tariffs, etc. They don’t have any real belief in Trump as a business leader. And a lack of support now would be a sure indicator of what he would face in a 2nd term. Leonard Leo and Harlan Crowe, sure. The whole of the American corporate elite? I doubt it. I don’t even know what this columnist is basing these assumptions on because one thing is for sure: this campaign and election will be like none we’ve ever seen before.

by Anonymousreply 62December 2, 2023 1:13 PM

This is the most liked comment on that column and it’s the most useful thing there. Full of useful info and links about getting involved, taking practical action.

Follow the link and copy/paste it somewhere. It’s a great resource for those who want to save democracy. (DL wouldn’t let me post it.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 2, 2023 1:22 PM

R49, just wait. Right now he’s in a primary - the best position he’ll have throughout this entire campaign. And he’s competing for attention with the war in Gaza. Once he’s the nominee they won’t be able to hide him as much - and he’s crazier than ever. Apparently, he can’t even walk now unassisted. And people have been paying attention to what he’s been saying and it’s not pretty. He can barely fill a high school gymnasium so recently has taken to going to where the crowds are - football stadiums - with mixed results. All of this will just be magnified once he’s the nominee and it will be a total shit show.

I don’t think Biden should even agree to debate him. Who need to see that?

Plus in his court cases he’s now taken to declaring a “candidate immunity” just making shit up. It’s so clear he thinks he’s above the law and I do not think a majority of Americans are going to agree with him. Trump 2024: The Final Reel is going to be pretty fucking messy.

You think the majority of Americans are going to vote for someone for President who has 91 state and federal indictments against then and is offering the possibility of delaying their state trials until 2029 - that’s quite a cliffhanger - and giving him the power to end all of the federal charges and thus end the rule of law in our country?

Shit is about to get A LOT MORE REAL than than this columnist seems to think.

by Anonymousreply 64December 2, 2023 1:41 PM

He’s an insane jackass

And sorry, he’s too old too

by Anonymousreply 65December 2, 2023 1:57 PM

I’m kind of amazed some of you think I live in a cave because I think trump is quieter compared to the campaign for 2016. You couldn’t get away from him then.

I didn’t say he never says anything crazy, my point was so far, he is more background noise compared to before. If he was front and center like he was from 2015 to 2019, the threat would loom larger and feel less existential. I just don’t feel that overall fear that we collectively had in 2019.

I believe that behind the scenes pro-trumpers have been much more organized and strategic. I think that includes keeping trump on a leash to the best of their ability, Back in the day, trump tweeted all day, every day. Imagine if he was back on Twitter. Even though it’s a dying platform it still gets much more media attention than truth social.

by Anonymousreply 66December 2, 2023 2:22 PM

[quote]The sliver of hope is that voters — when energized and enthusiastic — have beat back the odds over the last several election cycles. Let’s hope that continues next year.

I think there's truth to that but the Democrats need a simple, imaginative platform and to pound the hell out of the threats the Republicans pose, especially to health care and women's rights. No poetry. No soul of the nation bullshit. No more we're America, we can do anything when we put our minds to it. That America, if not dead, is in a coma. It might never wake up. So meat and potatoes in terms people can grasp, on the upside and the downside.

by Anonymousreply 67December 2, 2023 3:39 PM

The Dems have to make it about the fight for democracy, a fight to save the American People Experience. Voters like to think they’re part of something larger than themselves, so it’s important to appeal to their egos.

by Anonymousreply 68December 2, 2023 4:35 PM

The fight for democracy is an abstract. It's like saying eat well to avoid cancer. Nobody thinks it will happen to them. When they're worried about Big Macs, it's no time for poetry or something larger than the self. Too many politicians promised not to cum in our mouths for people to buy into JFK speak at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 2, 2023 4:53 PM

But, despite the many naysayers, R69, it was an effective campaign strategy in the mid-terms.

by Anonymousreply 70December 2, 2023 5:10 PM

the problem isn't trump himself, it's the base that he activated in 2016. they're not going away. and it isn't just boomers. reactionary radicalization is spreading like wildfire among young men. not even just whites. they don't believe in democracy and they are extremely excited for a future of political violence.

by Anonymousreply 71December 2, 2023 5:15 PM

r67 what is actually popular for the american public - massive investments in infrastructure and public services/transportation, universal healthcare, criminal justice reform, drug reform, debt relief, defense spending reductions - this is all considered 'radical leftism' by even the democrats. the democrats don't have anything to offer besides 'the status quo works great if we could just be nicer". this makes a figure like trump more appealing to people who aren't too sharp, because at least he represents some kind of destruction of norms.

by Anonymousreply 72December 2, 2023 5:18 PM

OP, many, many thanks for sharing this. As I read Kagan's piece, I kept trying to think of cogent counterarguments but could not. I tried to tell myself he's merely appealing to people's anxieties to sell his book but know that, even if that's true, he's still right. Our democracy and way of life are in real danger, but I am still hopeful that good Americans will save the day.

OP, just know that many people are as scared and disgusted as you are. You're not alone.

by Anonymousreply 73December 2, 2023 5:32 PM

Did any of you even read the article?

Kagan portrays Trump as Trump himself would like to be imagined - as a super intelligent, cunning politician who will bulldoze all opposition and secure all of his agenda. What I observed from the Trump first term was breathtaking incompentence and stupidity - most of his appointees couldn't even identify their own two hands let alone run or sabotage the government. Biden swept these people away and things started running again smoothly. Yet, according to Kagan, Trump has apparently learned from all his mistakes and now only hires the best people for the job (again something Trump would say). By the way, Kagan offers very little analysis of what happened during Trump's first term.

Even worse Kagan dismisses the 22nd Amendement which would limit Trump to only one term if elected in 2024. Kagan incredibly says Trump will just ignore it and the courts will back down and let him serve apparently forever. Really? In 2020, judges across the country, even those he appointed himself, rejected all of his erroneous legal challenges. Yet in 2028, they'd all just back down and let Trump serve for life.

by Anonymousreply 74December 2, 2023 6:04 PM

I HATE people who say "oh you're over-reacting" - no, we're fucking NOT.

People told women they were over-reacting about Roe - and look what happened. And they're not done with that - they're going after a federal ban AND are looking to ban contraceptives.

Just because many aren't saying it out loud, don't think it's not on the agenda for many of them.

by Anonymousreply 75December 2, 2023 6:20 PM

C’mon, what’s the harm in humoring Trump with one more term?!

by Anonymousreply 76December 2, 2023 6:46 PM

we haven't even seen the beginning of what will probably be a mass voter intimidation and disenfranchisement campaign, that is a real danger.

by Anonymousreply 77December 2, 2023 6:48 PM

If the Japanese military in Dec 1940 had taken out ads saying were going to attack next Dec 41

This is what the gop has done. They have been upfront and clear. If this does not bring out a massive effort, massive fundraising, massive voter registration , and a massive vote assistance, and the gop wins then we deserve the results.

I hope people are scared but I fear the lazy and the unconcerned

by Anonymousreply 78December 2, 2023 7:06 PM

[quote]Biden needs to step aside.

By all means, let's keep repeating the right-wing talking point that Biden, not Trump, is the real problem.

by Anonymousreply 79December 2, 2023 7:11 PM

Scary article. Nothing in it seems outrageous, sadly.

I am continually disappointed that so many Americans still want Trump. They clearly are primarily low information voters but many are educated and don’t care that he will be a dictator. This means we have crossed over to the dark side.

by Anonymousreply 80December 2, 2023 7:50 PM

[quote]They clearly are primarily low information voters but many are educated and don’t care that he will be a dictator.

Any "educated" voter who doesn't care that Trump would be a dictator is either profoundly stupid or mentally unwell.

by Anonymousreply 81December 2, 2023 8:02 PM

They’ve already rationalized it away and want him to be strong.

by Anonymousreply 82December 2, 2023 8:04 PM

Ultimately it comes down to racism and greed. They want a strong white man in office who will help their 401K and own the libs.

by Anonymousreply 83December 2, 2023 8:07 PM

"As he campaigns to retake the White House, Donald Trump has increasingly tossed aside the principles of limited government and local control that have defined the Republican Party for decades.

The former president is laying plans to wield his executive authority to influence school curricula, prevent doctors from providing medical interventions for young transgender people and pressure police departments to adopt more severe anticrime policies. All are areas where state or local officials have traditionally taken the lead.

He has said he would establish a government-backed anti-“woke” university, create a national credentialing body to certify teachers “who embrace patriotic values” and erect “freedom cities” on federal land. He has pledged to marshal the power of the government to investigate and punish his critics.

It is a governing platform barely recognizable to prior generations of Republican politicians, who campaigned against one-size-fits-all federal dictates and argued that state legislators, mayors and town halls were best positioned to oversee their communities. While many of his proposals would be difficult to achieve, the second-term agenda outlined by Trump could require waves of new federal intervention, even as he calls for firing government workers, neutering the “deep state” and cutting regulations."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 2, 2023 9:35 PM

For those who suggest getting one's passport in order: where do you suggest people go? And you do realize one can't just declare themselves a resident or merely ask for asylum?

I would like a little more infusion of reality in what people are advising.

by Anonymousreply 85December 3, 2023 2:04 AM

And R75, when you think about it, really think it through, if a person is denied birth control, and abortion, what's left? Sterilization. And here's something else to ponder. People think oh, Abortion. That doesn't affect me." But what does affect us all is the fact that with this ruling, the SCOTUS has opened the door to the government getting involved in medical decisions. It sets a precedent. If they can insert themselves between a woman and her physician, they can make laws and rulings about anything to do with anyone's body. Just remember, when those fuckers talk about smaller government fewer regulations, they are not talking about us, the people. For us they will regulate and intrude and suffocate us with what we can't do or see or read, and they will definitely decide how and when and where we express our sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 86December 3, 2023 4:45 AM

Americans are so fucking afraid of everything all the time. Toughen up cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 87December 3, 2023 4:48 AM

Trump is The Whore of Babylon. We are in the biblical end times, people.

by Anonymousreply 88December 3, 2023 5:36 AM

R88 Big Lots is selling Clutch Pearls ... $10 by the dozen

by Anonymousreply 89December 3, 2023 5:44 AM

WaPo is using it as the lead article in the week in ideas.

by Anonymousreply 90December 3, 2023 11:21 AM

God you Trump gals are nuts.

by Anonymousreply 91December 3, 2023 11:31 AM

Trump calls on supporters to intimidate democratic voters

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 3, 2023 11:41 AM

Were you up in arms when Maxine Waters did the same thing? I didn't think so.

by Anonymousreply 93December 3, 2023 11:57 AM

I guess Bezos doesn’t like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 94December 3, 2023 1:02 PM

I see the paid $ russian troll bots have been activated

by Anonymousreply 95December 3, 2023 1:19 PM

[quote] Were you up in arms when Maxine Waters did the same thing? I didn't think so.

Oh no, my sides!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96December 3, 2023 1:51 PM

You know what's sad? The Trumpanistas who post here with their snide, hostile, passive aggressive, ignorant asses, probably are NOT getting paid. They're so dumb they do it for free while members of Congress, state party officials, Ronna Romney, Congressional staffers, etc. are all getting paid.

by Anonymousreply 97December 3, 2023 3:22 PM

He's an obese 78-yr. old with heart problems. He's noticeably more stooped and confused than just two years ago. Things will be accelerating downhill quickly now.

He's just grifting the hillbillies to pay his exhorbitant legal fees.

by Anonymousreply 98December 3, 2023 4:36 PM

[quote]Were you up in arms when Maxine Waters did the same thing? I didn't think so.

I'm sure you were, dipshit.

by Anonymousreply 99December 3, 2023 6:23 PM

Trump won’t win but it will be an ugly year. Ultimately abortion rights and stopping Trump will lead to another blue wave. People will get more pumped up next year.

by Anonymousreply 100December 3, 2023 6:27 PM

Yes, R100, the energy immediately a presidential election is intense as it gets.

by Anonymousreply 101December 3, 2023 7:39 PM

[quote]But seriously, can we not find any two people in the US more suited to this job than these two?

Yes, we can, and its name is Britney Spears!

by Anonymousreply 102December 6, 2023 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!