Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

More gossip from our Marvelous Midwestern towns

I was on the Eavesdropping Porch™️ and got caught up on the gossip.

Sad that Queen Cecile is no longer with us....not that Donna had anything nice to say about her.

Fall means Oakdale and the Hubbard Squash at the Snyder farm.....I might have to stop by to see if Seth Snyder can test my gag reflex again.

I guess I'll have to look for more gossip about Springfield and Monticello.......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435January 30, 2024 10:50 PM

Old thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 2, 2023 3:21 AM

Also, a short thread about Nancy Frangione

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 2, 2023 3:21 AM

A trademark on the eavesdropping porch! What a clever idea. I should have thought of that.

Wonder what Emma will have to say? Or did you cut her in on a portion of the profits?

by Anonymousreply 3September 2, 2023 3:47 AM

It's 60 for me and 40 for Emma, Liz.

And you'll always have a place of honor on the porch...although we know you can eavesdrop just about anywhere!

by Anonymousreply 4September 2, 2023 3:50 AM

Are we going to do a promotional campaign to spread the use of eavesdropping porches across the country?

by Anonymousreply 5September 3, 2023 1:26 AM

Who was the biggest gay male slut behind the scenes-Dennis Parker?

by Anonymousreply 6September 3, 2023 1:55 AM

I heard that!

Yes, we should promote them. And charge money. I'll sell tickets!

by Anonymousreply 7September 3, 2023 1:56 AM

Welcome back, Little Miss Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 8September 3, 2023 12:32 PM

Pussycat!

Really, Holden was bad enough, but what's this business with international spy rings and a crooked cop? Lily, darling. *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 9September 3, 2023 2:06 PM

Jennifer Ashe (Meg on ATWT) was fun last week on Alan’s show but she insisted that she was the last Snyder to be introduced which was not the case. She spoke a little about Michael David Morrison so that was poignant. He certainly couldn’t get that monkey off his back. So sad. I think she also described Liz Hubbard as being “a law unto herself” which was a diplomatic way of saying she just did whatever the fuck she wanted in all her scenes.

by Anonymousreply 10September 4, 2023 4:43 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11September 4, 2023 3:04 PM

Even as a kid I felt bad for glamorous Pat being saddled with stodgy John.

by Anonymousreply 12September 4, 2023 5:18 PM

Meg may have been the youngest but both Caleb and Ellie came on after Meg.

by Anonymousreply 13September 4, 2023 7:12 PM

I hated when they paired Meg with Josh and tried to reform him. He was a fucking rapist.

by Anonymousreply 14September 4, 2023 7:14 PM

I was torn about that. Bill Fichtner was hot but they overlooked what Josh/Rod did, whether he was a teenager or not.

by Anonymousreply 15September 4, 2023 7:15 PM

Jennifer Ashe spoke to that, she said that could never happen on a soap today.

by Anonymousreply 16September 5, 2023 1:57 AM

Iva’s sisters all treated her like shit. Ellie stole Kirk from her and Meg married her rapist. Then her brothers started fucking her daughter. It is all very Tobacco Road.

by Anonymousreply 17September 5, 2023 2:04 AM

Holden Snyder's sizemeat could not be denied.

by Anonymousreply 18September 5, 2023 3:18 AM

I watched an old Route 66 episode that had lots of Beverlee McKinsey connections even though she wasn't a guest star.

It was a 1963 episode (season 3, episode 23) titled "Fifty Miles from Home." It featured Berkeley Harris as a young athlete who gets into a fight and is so badly injured that it ruins his chances of getting an athletic scholarship to college. It also featured Robert Emhardt was the young athlete's father angry about his son's future being ruined.

The Beverlee McKinsey connection comes in that La Bev married Berkeley Harris in real life in 1971. Meanwhile, Robert Emhardt was the first actor to play Mac Cory. Emhardt played Mac for about a year in 1973-74 before they recast the role with Douglass Watson.

by Anonymousreply 19September 5, 2023 3:35 AM

I think Emhardt only made a small number of recurring appearances over a year's time. He looked like Fred Mertz....I can see why Douglass Watson would have made the role his own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20September 5, 2023 3:46 AM

Robert Emhardt was a character actor. He looked like a support character, not a leading man.

Douglass Watson was a lead actor. He looked like he could carry the show.

Clearly when Harding Lemay wanted to transform Mac into a main character, he recast the role with Douglass Watson.

by Anonymousreply 21September 5, 2023 4:09 AM

Even when Berkeley Harris died in 1984, Beverlee only missed a few days of work. Lydia Bruce subbed for her (doing a very good job), but then La Bev was back at work.

I guess throwing herself into work was her way of grieving his death.

by Anonymousreply 22September 5, 2023 5:50 PM

R22 I think she only took the job as Alexandra because Harris was ill and then dying.

She was very done with daytime when she left in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 23September 5, 2023 6:05 PM

Supposedly, she was making a $1 million a year to star in Texas.

She must really have been "done with daytime" to walk away from Texas when she was making that kind of money and getting star billing.

by Anonymousreply 24September 5, 2023 6:14 PM

She was.

There was an interview on YouTube where she was talking to some famous Dick Cavett type journalist from Canada (unable to locate it now), and they discussed her career. She said she was out of daytime and ready for more film work.

She accepted the role of Alex in late 1983, probably about 18 months to 2 years after said interview.

by Anonymousreply 25September 5, 2023 6:25 PM

My understanding is La Bev didn't want to come back to Another World after breaking her collar bone in late 1979. Carole Shelley subbed as Iris for about three months in early 1980 while Beverlee was out.

Supposedly Beverlee wasn't going to come back after she recovered. Was tired of playing Iris after eight years. Was tired of the drive out to Brooklyn each day. Was done with daytime.

But then Paul Rauch lured her back with a $1 million salary and star billing on Texas.

by Anonymousreply 26September 5, 2023 6:38 PM

[quote]There was an interview on YouTube where she was talking to some famous Dick Cavett type journalist from Canada (unable to locate it now), and they discussed her career. She said she was out of daytime and ready for more film work.

Scott McKinsey posted that video on his Facebook page about 2-3 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 27September 5, 2023 6:46 PM

R27 Yes. Unfortunately I think it has since been removed.

by Anonymousreply 28September 5, 2023 7:14 PM

Is this it r28?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29September 5, 2023 7:22 PM

R29 Yes!!!!! Thank you. Looks like someone just reposted it a matter of days ago. Thank you for doing the Lord's work, R29.

by Anonymousreply 30September 5, 2023 8:40 PM

Rewatching that interview and it almost makes me want to cry because it's just so damn smart. Two intelligent people with their own ideas about art and performance having a conversation.

*sob*

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 31September 5, 2023 8:57 PM

Wow. La Bev dated Burt Reynolds in 1966-67. Who knew!?

by Anonymousreply 32September 5, 2023 11:40 PM

There is a writer and professor (Patrick Dilley) who is supposedly working on a documentary of La Bev. This has been in the works for some time now....

by Anonymousreply 33September 6, 2023 1:03 AM

Apparently not Burt.

Not one mention of her in his autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 34September 6, 2023 2:34 AM

James Earl Jones had a type, I guess….petite blonde actresses. First it was Bev and then it was his current wife Cecilia Hart.

by Anonymousreply 35September 6, 2023 3:02 AM

Another Bev clip I’ve never seen…I love it that the interviewer politely but firmly tells Jerry Lanning to stop draping his arm around Bev because it’ll mess things up in post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2023 3:07 AM

I want to see this Tom Snyder clip Bev mentions in the clip at r29. It was Bev, Charita Bauer, Ruth Warrick and Macdonald Carey. Apparently she hated Ruth Warrick!

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2023 4:31 AM

R17, you are so right about Iva! What a 180 Lisa Brown did going from Nola to Iva.

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2023 4:42 AM

Two other things about the r29 interview (and I did post it and should have posted it all in one post)—

I never heard Beverlee or Victoria Wyndham talk about each other but it sounds like they did like each other personally and professionally. Also-I now understand why she left Texas (and daytime)-:she really took offense at the lack of respect for daytime, in spite of the huge amounts of money they made for the networks.

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2023 6:09 AM

I remember years ago hearing rumors of McKinsey and Wyndham feuding but it doesn't sound like they did. Whether they were besties or not, I dunno but it sounds like they were coworkers that respected each other.

I think some of those rumors came up just because Iris and Rachel feuded, and also the fact that once the 90 minute shows started, they could almost never be on screen in the same episode due to logistics.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2023 3:31 PM

Beverlee, the interviewer.....Burt Reynolds, Sandra Locke, Clint Eastwood......Ruth Warrick, Charita Bauer, MacDonald Carey, Victoria Wyndham.....

Only Lady Eyes A Buggin and Clint are still with us.......

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2023 3:32 PM

I seem to recall that during the period when Lemay was HW at AW that Rachel was on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays while Iris was on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

So, only on Fridays could Iris and Rachel interact and have a blowup. But Lemay was smart enough not to make it a weekly blowup. Some Fridays, the two never interacted at all, but the audience was on the edge of their seats waiting to see if they did interact. Other Fridays, the buildup in the previous weeks was so great, you knew the two were going to have at it.

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2023 4:39 PM

[quote]So, only on Fridays could Iris and Rachel interact and have a blowup.

They are still my favorite soap rivalry of all time.

by Anonymousreply 43September 6, 2023 5:44 PM

Lemay said it right in the AW memoir - Beverlee was best as a somewhat unsympathetic character.

The conflict between Rachel and Iris (and Mac) was as good as theater.

She was gangbusters in early years of GL - delicious Gothic conflict with Alan, fighting off India and the push/pull between Lujack and Alex until he accepted her. Her character languished for a while until she fought Roger, but the Mindy/Alex rivalry was great too (well, with Simms and La Bev).

by Anonymousreply 44September 6, 2023 6:57 PM

I never understood why Pam let Alexandra be a supporting player in the Sonni-Solita story.

Yes, I know that Beverlee and Michelle Forbes hit it off in real life and enjoyed working together. But for a year and a half,, Alexandra tagged along with Sonni as she tried to figure out her past.

Why turn this legendary actress into Sonni's talk-to for so long? Why not give Alex a storyline of her own? Why not have men chasing after Alex, even if they would eventually turn out to be con men?

This is one of the many reasons that 87-89 period of GL was so lackluster.

by Anonymousreply 45September 6, 2023 10:24 PM

After the proposed Mike/Alex pairing collapsed, Bev didn’t really have a strong leading man to work with on GL, until Roger entered the picture.

It’s interesting that both AW and GL plummeted in the ratings once Bev left, and neither recovered.

Obviously she wasn’t the only reason for that happening to either show, but her departure left huge voids.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46September 6, 2023 10:35 PM

r46 Reportedly Texas lost a million viewers once Bev left in late 1981.

by Anonymousreply 47September 7, 2023 12:05 AM

Alex was not served well once Pam Long left the first time. There were a few terrible years in there - those awful 1985-86 years. I remember reading that she was to have played a bigger role in the leadup to Phillip taking over Spaulding, but they rewrote some of that when Bernau became sick, and then the strike hit.

Although they loathed each other, Zaslow was a boon to the character of Alex.

I'm not sure she was really chasing big story, though. She was older, a widow, and wanted to keep working long enough to support herself. It was when her story actually got increased (and her character became more evil) and she started to have long days again, that she decided to quit.

by Anonymousreply 48September 7, 2023 12:51 AM

I think Beverlee and Victoria Wyndham were similar in that they both viewed daytime as a job. Daytime allowed Wyndham to raise her kids, buy some properties, and explore her real passions. I think it was the same for Beverlee, the difference being that when Beverlee got bored or felt that she had done all she could do with a role and her bank account was set, she just moved on. If Another World were still on the air, I bet VW would still be there. I think she cared about what she was playing, but she enjoyed the freedom and lifestyle that it gave her, more. I also think at some she just gave up fighting for better material.

by Anonymousreply 49September 7, 2023 1:03 AM

There is a petition for Beverlee to receive a posthumous Lifetime Achievement Daytime Emmy.

I agree she should have one, though there's a class of at least 15-20 that should receive one, as well (Lisa Brown among them).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50September 7, 2023 4:17 PM

Stephen Schnetzer remembers Nancy Frangione

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51September 7, 2023 4:38 PM

I had seen the episode when Phillip calls out Alan and Justin about not telling him about being adopted a few times but not the episode before. HB’s first episode evidently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 8, 2023 9:15 PM

Eli Simms storyline. The Bauers, The Lewis’ , The Reardon’s, The Chamberlin’s. What a time to be alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53September 8, 2023 9:23 PM

Isn't that the storyline that didn't make any sense with the timeline?

by Anonymousreply 54September 8, 2023 9:27 PM

HB's first episode was actually on Aug. 24, 1983.

Mindy showed up at Lewis Oil wearing a new mink coat. Josh and Billy asked her where she got it. Mindy said "From Granddaddy" and HB came to door saying, "Howdy Boys."

Wish I could find the video on YouTube, but can't. Sorry.

That episode also marked the introduction of one of the new, slower openings, replacing the Disco opening of the Marland era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55September 8, 2023 9:31 PM

R54 there was a little bit of it that didn't make sense, I think.

But the copy of it that they did circa 2002-2003 with Maryanne Carruthers was terrible and really fucked with the timelines.

by Anonymousreply 56September 8, 2023 9:45 PM

I just cannot wrap my brain around the idea that 1983 is 40 years ago.

Lies!

by Anonymousreply 57September 8, 2023 9:48 PM

Wow. First I've seen of this.

Love her or hate her, she kinda had that character fully formed in that audition! (With the help of Pam's writing, too.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58September 8, 2023 9:55 PM

Here’s this playlist that I got it from.

I also can’t find Beverlee McKinsey’s last day and scenes with VI. I loved those scenes and they seemed to have been removed. What a pity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59September 8, 2023 10:50 PM

I’m so glad they dumped that southern/country accent almost immediately. That would be the only note. Other than that Robert Newman is just sexy as fuck. And they had chemistry right from the start. She really was amazing and deserved all the accolades. The only problem and it wasn’t her fault was Reva dominating the show.

I just loved GL 80-84. Nothing like it.

by Anonymousreply 60September 8, 2023 11:03 PM

The Southern accents were a bit much. Overdone and didn't seem authentic.

by Anonymousreply 61September 10, 2023 1:44 AM

They toned them down significantly after the initial emphasis.

Which I assume was influenced by "Dallas" - daytime seemed to want to copy that vibe, thus the Lewises of GL and the Buchanans of OLTL.

by Anonymousreply 62September 10, 2023 3:11 AM

I would expect no less.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63September 11, 2023 7:29 PM

I'll bet India and Xavier went clubhopping every weekend in Andorra.

by Anonymousreply 64September 11, 2023 7:50 PM

Miss Eileen Fulton is NINETY years old today.

(Don Hastings will be 90 next April....Liz Hubbard would have been 90 in December *sobs*)

by Anonymousreply 65September 13, 2023 6:08 PM

Just read on the Locher Room FB page that Caelie Haines died last weekend. I think she worked at all the soap magazines at one point, but she was with WEEKLY for most of its heyday and was the editor that covered GL (and was a big GL fan herself).

Apparently she died suddenly - she was close to my age (!)

Very sad to hear. We complain about Mimi and a few others here but I remember her work being very good, well researched stuff. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 66September 14, 2023 1:35 PM

Aww, sorry to hear about Caelie. I worked very briefly at Soap Opera Weekly and she was a very nice person.

by Anonymousreply 67September 15, 2023 1:55 AM

How was Mimi, r67?

by Anonymousreply 68September 15, 2023 3:18 AM

I don’t think I dealt with her at all. I was just a temp, there for a week or so. I remember Caelie and Roberta Caploe. And the editor whatshername, she was OK,I remember transcribing a tape of a Kim Zimmer interview and she was bitching about newcomer Beth Ehlers. She said “That girl really meeds to calm down.” That stuck out at me.

by Anonymousreply 69September 15, 2023 3:29 AM

R69 LOL!

That tracks with Kim blindly mentioning her in her book. I don't think Kim ever cared for her.

by Anonymousreply 70September 15, 2023 5:49 PM

Yes, Zimmer had a blind criticism of Beth Ehler in her book. Only cast member she really criticized in that book.

by Anonymousreply 71September 15, 2023 5:52 PM

Other than Billy HB and Wanda, one else had southern accents or even attempted them. Well wait I guess the Shayne’s all did. But Josh and Trish didn’t which was weird. I really liked the Trish Lewis character. I wish they would have done more with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72September 15, 2023 11:53 PM

R72, I totally agree about the character of Trish.

by Anonymousreply 73September 16, 2023 1:17 AM

Trish was a great character. She definitely should have been on more. Trish should have been Alan or Ross's wife, sort of the Laura Bush unhappily married to the senator vibe, and acting out.

For whatever reason, they never seemed to know what to do with her.

by Anonymousreply 74September 16, 2023 2:35 PM

Was Trish married to Holly’s brother Andy off camera, or was that Vanessa?

by Anonymousreply 75September 16, 2023 4:48 PM

Not a P&G show but sadly it's being reported that Billy Miller (who was on AMC, Y&R and GH) has died. Alan Locher had it on his page and Michael Fairman did too, though it was taken down.

by Anonymousreply 76September 17, 2023 1:12 PM

r76

whoa what?

by Anonymousreply 77September 17, 2023 1:48 PM

The TVLine article doesn't confirm a cause of death (or didn't when I first saw it), but some posts on social media are suggesting it was suicide.

There's a discussion at this thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78September 17, 2023 1:58 PM

He had a hot ass but he couldn’tblive forever.

I always got him confused with Brian Gaskill who was on AMC, Port Charles, ATWT and GL. He’s ten years older, though.

by Anonymousreply 79September 17, 2023 8:09 PM

I’d take a Brian Gaskill comeback.

by Anonymousreply 80September 17, 2023 9:49 PM

R76 - You got it. Trish and Andy had divorced by the time she arrived in Springfield. Trish and Vanessa were best friends from boarding school.

Andy romanced (and abused) Katie Parker — he dated her to gain access to her keys. He was breaking into Sara MacIntyre’s office and reading her files. He was using that information to blackmail many denizens of Springfield. I thought that was a great story, and the best one that I associate with Katie Parker/Denise Pence. I really liked Katie/Denise.

by Anonymousreply 81September 17, 2023 10:21 PM

[quote] I’d take a Brian Gaskill comeback.

I'd take Brian Gaskill quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 82September 17, 2023 10:53 PM

14 years ago today.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83September 18, 2023 5:20 PM

OMG! 14 years ago!!

The date slipped up on me. Thanks for the sad reminder.

by Anonymousreply 84September 18, 2023 6:05 PM

A memorial of various soap journalists who have died in the last year (including Caelie Haines, mentioned upthread).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85September 19, 2023 3:41 PM

Michael Park will be on The Locher Room.

by Anonymousreply 86September 19, 2023 7:25 PM

And Michael Park knows a thing or two about Locker Rooms

by Anonymousreply 87September 19, 2023 7:28 PM

And adult video arcades, and the sauna rooms at gyms, and.....

by Anonymousreply 88September 19, 2023 7:36 PM

I just got Melanie Smith's self help book from the library. Am about to read through it but snuck a look at acknowledgements. She mentions one person and one person only from ATWT and to my surprise it wasn't anyone she really worked with a lot in scenes, it was, of all people.....Mary Ellen Stuart.

by Anonymousreply 89September 19, 2023 8:22 PM

R89, they’re very close friends to this day. They were together on one of the Locher Rooms.

by Anonymousreply 90September 21, 2023 10:33 PM

Pussycat!

by Anonymousreply 91September 27, 2023 12:11 PM

Isn’t Michael Park on The Locher Room live and direct from the Westside Sauna?

by Anonymousreply 92September 27, 2023 2:56 PM

John Wesley Shipp apparently had surgery recently - type not disclosed but he's recovering.

And Joe Lando had knee replacement surgery. Hilarious that Mr. Stud Joe Lando now looks like someone's old Italian grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 93September 27, 2023 4:44 PM

I did not know that Michael O' Leary became an alkie after GL was cancelled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94September 27, 2023 10:17 PM

O'Leary talked about getting sober in a one of his more recent Locher Room appearances.

by Anonymousreply 95September 27, 2023 11:30 PM

Good for O'Leary.

by Anonymousreply 96September 28, 2023 1:49 AM

Michael Park gives a fun interview on The Locher Room. He has high praise for Maura and says he gets that she always wanted a big family and a long lasting career on soaps but she’s capable of so much more like Tennesse Williams roles. He very amusingly makes it clear he thinks Frank Grillo is a huge douchebag. Alan surprises Park with the actor who played his kid. Adorable guy (he’s 30 now) with gorgeous eyes.

by Anonymousreply 97September 29, 2023 1:30 AM

Will have to check it out, R97. Thanks!

I still remember an episode where I think it was Kim Z and Robert Newman and then all the Marahs were on. Robert became very emotional seeing Ashley Peldon all grown up.

by Anonymousreply 98September 29, 2023 3:30 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99September 29, 2023 9:58 AM

Just got through watching the Michael Park session. It was fun. Good to hear him and his stories.

The man loves Maura, no doubt about that.

Clearly is not a fan of Frank Grillo.

And seems genuinely hurt than Jon Hennessy isn't responding to his, or anybody's, calls or texts.

by Anonymousreply 100September 29, 2023 11:07 PM

Jon Hensley?

by Anonymousreply 101September 30, 2023 4:08 AM

Kurt McKinney will be next in the Locher Room

by Anonymousreply 102September 30, 2023 4:08 AM

[quote] And seems genuinely hurt than Jon Hennessy isn't responding to his, or anybody's, calls or texts.

If the rumors are to be believed, Jon and Kelley broke up because Jon gambled away all their money.

Perhaps Jon is just ashamed and isn't talking to old friends. Or maybe he's on booze/dope/became a deplorable. All depressing to consider.

by Anonymousreply 103September 30, 2023 4:09 AM

Jon is still active on Twitter and he still looks good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104September 30, 2023 4:19 AM

r100

what's his beef with Frank Grillo? How are they connected?

by Anonymousreply 105September 30, 2023 11:36 AM

They probably attended the same soap fan events. And Grillo is a notorious asshole. I’m sure the ATWT cast heard all the stories of him slamming his salami into Wendy in his dressing room at GL.

by Anonymousreply 106October 1, 2023 2:45 AM

Poor Hunt Block had to hear them fucking all the time at the GL studio.

by Anonymousreply 107October 1, 2023 3:32 AM

Not that I would have turned down an opportunity to have 1997 Frankie Grillo slam his salami in me, in any dressing room of his choice....

by Anonymousreply 108October 1, 2023 3:33 AM

[quote]Poor Hunt Block had to hear them fucking all the time at the GL studio.

I'm sure it was the talk of the studio. Other actors could hear it in their dressing rooms too. Hunt's just the only one who mentioned it during an interview with Soap Weekly.

by Anonymousreply 109October 8, 2023 12:49 AM

WHET Hunt Block?

He's never done a Locher Room, but I'm sure he's been asked multiple times.

His last IMDB credit is from 2016, but a short stint on OLTL seems to have been his last steady acting gig.

by Anonymousreply 110October 8, 2023 12:53 AM

Linda Dano has Colleen Zenk on her podcast this week.

Previous episodes have included Anna Stuart (!!) and Stephen Schetzer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 9, 2023 2:14 AM

I would have gladly welcomed Hunt Block's salami inside of me, in a GL dressing room or elsewhere.....

by Anonymousreply 112October 9, 2023 2:15 AM

Thanks for the link, R111! Dano interviews a lot of soap ladies on her podcast, including Erika Slezak and Deirdre Hall.

by Anonymousreply 113October 10, 2023 3:02 AM

[quote]Dano interviews a lot of soap ladies on her podcast, including Erika Slezak and Deirdre Hall.

But I'll bet she never asks them about their first day.

by Anonymousreply 114October 10, 2023 4:00 AM

"Hey la, hey la, My Boyfriend's Back" - the Angels

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115October 10, 2023 4:07 AM

[quote] But I'll bet she never asks them about their first day.

And never ever ever asks them the exact same question in subsequent interviews! That is an Alan Locher Special! ™️

by Anonymousreply 116October 10, 2023 3:37 PM

I'd love for someone to ask Dano why she outed William Gray Espy all those years ago. Or was he just turned off by her shoulder pads, hideous hairstyle and drag queen fashion sense?

by Anonymousreply 117October 10, 2023 3:59 PM

The Dano/Colleen Zenk interview is quite interesting.

CZ calls out a certain former ABC exec that became ATWT's EP.....

by Anonymousreply 118October 10, 2023 4:25 PM

[quote]CZ calls out a certain former ABC exec that became ATWT's EP

By name?

by Anonymousreply 119October 10, 2023 4:29 PM

No, but we all know who she meant. That cuntress FMB!

by Anonymousreply 120October 10, 2023 4:30 PM

She only talked about how fmb didn't like Barbara Ryan. I wanted a complete takedown of that miserable excuse.

by Anonymousreply 121October 10, 2023 5:05 PM

She also mentioned her ex-husband, but again not by name, only as "the ex husband."

I always try to be understanding to both parties in a breakup, but from everything I've heard and read, Mark Pinter left her as soon as she got sick.

by Anonymousreply 122October 10, 2023 5:10 PM

In the Dano interview with Anna Stuartbthey mention an actor “who played Mark Pinter’s role” who was let go after one day because they had to spoon feed him every single line. I wonder who the first Grant Harrison was.

by Anonymousreply 123October 10, 2023 7:24 PM

R123 Dack Rambo played Grant before Mark Pinter but I don't think they were talking about him, he was there for a solid stretch of time. It must have been the first person cast - maybe a nighttime name that didn't work out.

by Anonymousreply 124October 10, 2023 7:28 PM

According to AWHP there was a temp replacement for Dack Rambo in1991 for1 day. If I remember correctly Rambo had to leave suddenly because of his illness.

Interesting that Colleen didn’t like FMB. If I remember correctly Barbara had a good storyline during that time-the John/Barbara romance, and the death of their son. Colleen has said in multiple interviews that she had had nothing to do from Marland’s death in 1993 until Hogan Sheffer took over, however.

As maligned as she is, FMB did keep the vets (Liz Hubbard excepted) actively engaged on the show. She also brought Scott DeFreitas back. And the episodes commemorating Kathy Hays’ 25th announcement were stellar.

I would take her over Goutman- admittedly a low bar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125October 10, 2023 7:44 PM

I doubt we know who Anna and Linda were talking about, they probably preceded Dack and was fired after a day because they couldn't remember lines.

by Anonymousreply 126October 10, 2023 10:06 PM

[quote]She also brought Scott DeFreitas back.

When? Clearly I missed that.

by Anonymousreply 127October 10, 2023 11:04 PM

Wasn't that when Andy was back and had the affair with Denise, resulting in Hope Dixon?

by Anonymousreply 128October 11, 2023 1:23 AM

If FMB brought Scott/Andy back, who fired him?

by Anonymousreply 129October 11, 2023 2:24 AM

FMB was at ATWT from November 1996 until July 1999, when Goutman replaced her.

Andy returned in 1997 and was written out in 2002.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130October 11, 2023 2:30 AM

As I recall, Scott DeFreitas was recurring during that time or at least most of it.

I remember a Soap Weekly item saying that Scott was late to work at ATWT one day because he was at an audition that ran over time.

So, the show's solution was to put him on contract. At for the duration of that storyline. That prevented hims from auditioning for other roles, at least without getting prior permission.

I'm fairly confident this was while Goutman was EP.

by Anonymousreply 131October 11, 2023 2:41 AM

Kurt McKinney visit to the Locher Room was interesting but didn't really reveal anything major.

When he decided to return to soaps in 1994, he wasn't enthusiatic about moving to the East Coast and doing GL. Thus, throughout the interview and audition process, his attitude was he wouldn't get it. Imagine his surprise when he got it.

FYI: He auditioned with Sonia Satra, who played Lucy Cooper. Originally, the show planned to pair Matt and Lucy, after doing a short arc with Vanessa and Matt.

by Anonymousreply 132October 13, 2023 1:28 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133October 13, 2023 2:00 AM

I did like Matt and Vanessa's early days. But they were the first of several couples (Danny and Michelle to follow) that I just burned out on because they were so overexposed.

Matt and Lucy makes a certain amount of sense, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 134October 13, 2023 3:46 AM

He was always pretty as hell but didn’t look like a Reardon. But then again neither did Michael Woods or Kassie Wesley.

by Anonymousreply 135October 13, 2023 8:20 PM

Tony Reardon was all Reardon. And all man. *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 136October 13, 2023 8:25 PM

For the Scotty DeFrietas aficionado/troll. Happened to come across this in my reading......

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137October 15, 2023 4:57 AM

Thank you so much, r137. Andy has always been my favorite alcoholic. And they're both only 18 in that article.

Plus a sidebar about AW's original Josie, Alexandra Wilson. Thanks again.

by Anonymousreply 138October 15, 2023 12:35 PM

I wish Alan could get Ed Fry on The Locher Room. I’m curious how he looks nowadays and if he ever came out.

by Anonymousreply 139October 16, 2023 1:58 AM

Ed Fry is One of Us?

by Anonymousreply 140October 16, 2023 1:58 AM

I thought Ed Fry been married for years? I never got a gay vibe from him. I am surprised another soap didn’t pick him up after ATWT, he was a decent actor. I could see him as a love interest for Brooke on AMC or Jill on Y&R, or returning to AW as Adam Cory.

by Anonymousreply 141October 16, 2023 2:08 AM

Michael Park has been married for years.......

by Anonymousreply 142October 16, 2023 4:17 AM

Locher Room FB page featured scenes today where Lujack learned Alex was his mother.

by Anonymousreply 143October 16, 2023 11:07 PM

A former roommate went to college with Fry. He told me he found himself comforting Fry when he was sobbing in his arms over being gay and never being able to tell his family.

by Anonymousreply 144October 17, 2023 1:53 AM

Ed Fry looked very gay when he played Adam Cory on AW.

Gay face for days!

It was like a neon sign over his head blinking GAY, GAY, GAY.

by Anonymousreply 145October 17, 2023 2:53 AM

R137, thanks for posting. I really liked SD and the character of Andy. That article took me right back.

by Anonymousreply 146October 17, 2023 3:21 AM

I was happy to share. I have Newspapers.com (because I got it w/Ancestry) so if anyone else has a specific thing they remember from newspapers, Lynda Hirsch, etc. I'll try to look for it.

by Anonymousreply 147October 17, 2023 3:50 AM

Oh, no! I'm clutching Lenore's scarf as we speak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148October 19, 2023 12:26 AM

Sweet Locher Room with his oft-mentioned friend Jill Lorie Hurst interviewing him on his birthday. His cute husband showed up for a bit. And then Kim Zimmer told a story of Frank Grillo “moaning and groaning” about the writing and her husband (who was directing) walked over to him and said “You want Shakespeare? Go audition for the New York Shakespeare Festival.” Zimmer didn’t say what Grillo’s reaction was but I assume he mentioned something about going off to his dressing room to bang Wendy Moniz.

by Anonymousreply 149October 20, 2023 1:03 AM

Locher does have a hot husband.

by Anonymousreply 150October 20, 2023 3:00 PM

Listened to some more of that In with Linda Dano podcast. Her conversations with Colleen Zenk and Hillary Bailey Smith were fun. Dano has the unfortunate tendency of repeating stories too much. I think she told the Sammy Davpvjs Jr. OLTL anecdote at least three times. Anyway her conversation with Erika Slezak was interesting, mostly because Slezak is very candid about what a shitshow Prospect Park was. She even tells a story in which she found herself hovering over the shoulder of the PP accountant ordering him to write out her final check. And they still owed her a lot of money, apparently. Dano’s conversation with Judi Evans was the most disappointing. She only mentioned GL in passing and it seemed half of the podcast revolved around Evans’ living on a farm with her husband and raising chickens. I didn’t know she’d graduated high school at 16 and was in college in LA before GL, though. I’d love a really thorough interview with Evans someday.is it true she’s only on about 20 episodes of DOOL? I’m guessing that might change for the better with the new producer regime.

by Anonymousreply 151October 20, 2023 9:15 PM

Judi works full time for a funeral home or something. I think she's really almost rarely on DOOL unless they book her for a few weeks at a time.

by Anonymousreply 152October 20, 2023 9:35 PM

Judi is far from front burner on Days these days. I'd say she averages 4-5 shows a month. Her character definitely only shows up when the storyline calls for her. But those 5 shows may be in a short arc over a week or two and then she disappears again for a month or so.

by Anonymousreply 153October 20, 2023 11:50 PM

Ah, I see. She said she only works about 20 episodes a year. I hope Alan brings her back for a one to one interview.

by Anonymousreply 154October 21, 2023 12:55 AM

I was watching some 2000-2004ish ATWT episodes and.....here's a question I don't think has ever been discussed here before.

WHET Lesli Kay?

Molly was very central to the show, the Molly/Jake story was pushed to the forefront.....and then within a relatively short time, Jake McKinnon was killed off, Molly was sidelines and not long after, Lesli Kay was gone.

Was it her? Was she mad about the storylines? Was there a falling out? Did she leave when Hogan Sheffer left? Inquiring minds want to know......

by Anonymousreply 155October 22, 2023 9:13 PM

*sidelined

by Anonymousreply 156October 22, 2023 9:13 PM

Didn’t they just keep Jake around until Tom Eplin’s contract ended? They had Carly, Emily, Lily and Rose in the same age range, so there probably wasn’t room for her. Also, she always felt like she belonged on a West Coast based soap.

by Anonymousreply 157October 22, 2023 9:49 PM

R157 I agree there was a lot of overlap and one had to go. But they also got rid of Rose.

It just seemed she was someone's pet.....until she wasn't, and then she got booted out not long after. Didn't know if there was any tea about that. She didn't stay all that long at B&B (cancer reprieve notwithstanding).

by Anonymousreply 158October 22, 2023 11:47 PM

I loved the Molly and Jake story on ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 159October 23, 2023 12:36 AM

I loved Molly. Although I disliked the fat girl that played Holden and Molly's daughter. She was deadly dull.

by Anonymousreply 160October 23, 2023 12:46 AM

Molly went on to become the local news anchor at WCBS 2 in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 161October 23, 2023 1:32 PM

R161, I’ll have what you’re having.

by Anonymousreply 162October 23, 2023 5:16 PM

Not a P&G show but I'll share here....the Ryan's Hope book is out soon, Locher has the author plus Ilene Kristen and Christopher Durham on his show on Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 163October 23, 2023 9:06 PM

Thanks, R163. I’m excited about that book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164October 24, 2023 12:29 AM

I’m assuming it will mention Kate Mulgrew having a child while still playing Mary Ryan and then giving it up for adoption? I wonder if Maura West knows about this moment in daytime soap history.

by Anonymousreply 165October 25, 2023 5:56 PM

[quote]Not a P&G show but I'll share here....the Ryan's Hope book is out soon

It became officially available yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 166October 25, 2023 5:59 PM

R165 I'm missing the connection?

by Anonymousreply 167October 25, 2023 6:03 PM

R167/West is a staunch Irish-Catholic who’s pumped out five kids while still enjoying a lengthy career in daytime.

by Anonymousreply 168October 25, 2023 6:06 PM

In regard to Kate Mulgrew's baby...was the father Ben Levin or as speculated, Y&R's 1st Snapper, William Gray Espy? Mulgrew and Espy did a play together - Absurd Person Singular? - and supposedly hooked up.

by Anonymousreply 169October 26, 2023 2:17 AM

Ben Levin? Do you mean Kate's costar Michael Levin?

Kate reunited with her daughter at some point in the last decade......

by Anonymousreply 170October 26, 2023 3:47 AM

Her and her daughter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171October 26, 2023 8:48 AM

R170 no not Michael, It was Ben Levit I believe. Sorry for the confusion. I think Ben may have worked in production for the show.

by Anonymousreply 172October 26, 2023 9:49 AM

Oh that's right. It was someone involved w the show but in production.

by Anonymousreply 173October 26, 2023 1:45 PM

Loved Kate Mulgrew as Mary!

by Anonymousreply 174October 26, 2023 5:08 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 175October 26, 2023 5:52 PM

The thing that always struck me about Ryan's Hope was the characters were so different from the characters I was seeing on P&G soaps. It was a refreshing change.

by Anonymousreply 176October 26, 2023 6:19 PM

But then the Kirklands arrived followed by Max Dubujak and his daughter who could easily have been generic P&G rich family stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 177October 27, 2023 5:41 PM

As fabulous as Ryan's Hope was, Claire Labine's tenure on GL was so lackluster.

They even fired Claire only to rehire her when they couldn't find anyone else suitable to HW.

Why didn't Claire shine during her year in Springfield?

by Anonymousreply 178October 27, 2023 5:56 PM

I really think Claire needed a partner or strong EP to help her....she was great but left to her own devices it was too much of a good thing. On RH she had Paul Avila Mayer at the beginning. At GH she had Wendy Riche.

In the case of GL, she was not well matched with Paul Rauch. And she wasn't all that great on OLTL either.

by Anonymousreply 179October 27, 2023 6:01 PM

Sounds like there was interference from P&G and the network too.

You had to be strong with a strong vision to work with Rauch or he’d walk all over you and push his cartoon camp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180October 27, 2023 6:03 PM

Claire created Gus Aituro. Anybody else memorable that she created?

by Anonymousreply 181October 27, 2023 6:28 PM

The whispery ditz that was secretly an FBI agent.

Claire's characters were big on character but didn't always generate a lot of story.

by Anonymousreply 182October 27, 2023 6:37 PM

Mary Mae, the cigarette girl at Danny's club?

She certainly didn't have any longevity.

by Anonymousreply 183October 27, 2023 6:41 PM

Remember Perdita? That was a Claire creation, who was implausible as some secret agent friend of the cute guy who looked like Ryan O'Neal and was of course, in love with Reva. Perdita called Reva 'bucolic' which was very Claire. Claire also blinded Reva, which pissed off Zimmer, who felt she was limiting her. Good for Claire.

by Anonymousreply 184October 27, 2023 7:11 PM

The Ryan O'Neal look alike must be Noah (played by Mark Dobies). He was a hottie, though too much like Josh to make much of a dent in the Josh/Reva thing.

The only one that ever really gave Josh a run for his money with Reva was Kyle. It's a shame GL never recast the role of Kyle - the opportunities for story were endless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185October 27, 2023 7:15 PM

Print edition of Soap Opera Digest is coming to an end.

Digest will continue publishing online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186October 27, 2023 10:13 PM

There's a separate thread about Digest print edition ending.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187October 27, 2023 10:17 PM

I once saw Mark Dobies sitting on the floor in Penn Station waiting for his NJ Transit train to be called. He was wearing shorts and I could see up the leg for a nice view of his white briefs bulge.

by Anonymousreply 188October 27, 2023 11:15 PM

Fuck, I knew Digest would fold eventually but I'm surprised it's happening nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 189October 27, 2023 11:27 PM

[quote]Fuck, I knew Digest would fold eventually but I'm surprised it's happening nonetheless.

It lasted 48 years.

And it seems that some of the online publication will remain.

So, it's not completely dead.

by Anonymousreply 190October 27, 2023 11:56 PM

R190 that's the question, whether they will still do online issues.....

by Anonymousreply 191October 28, 2023 12:48 AM

Thread discussing Alan Locher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192October 30, 2023 6:36 PM

That Locher video clearly should have just been linked here. Locher is not exactly someone of general DL interest.

by Anonymousreply 193October 30, 2023 6:40 PM

R193 Agree, he's only known by those of us who post here. Bad choice on that OP's part

by Anonymousreply 194October 30, 2023 7:12 PM

In fact I'll repost the video here since we'll be the ones to comment

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195October 30, 2023 7:13 PM

Non soap fans are responding to that thread because of the being interviewed in a bathtub angle.

by Anonymousreply 196October 30, 2023 7:27 PM

This was done w Roger Newcomb a while back.

by Anonymousreply 197October 31, 2023 4:26 AM

Someone seems to be intent on starting random threads with topics that should be discussed here.....guess they'd love it if all soap threads would be blocked again

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198November 1, 2023 2:17 AM

There's an item on SOD's website about Ellen Travolta returning to GH and without my glasses, I thought for a second it was an article about Helen Wagner......

by Anonymousreply 199November 1, 2023 9:39 PM

Zombie Nancy Hughes should come to Port Charles and lecture Ava, Sam and Carly on their trampy ways.

by Anonymousreply 200November 1, 2023 11:04 PM

Oh, I could lecture them all day. And a few hussies in Oakdale. *casts side eye at Barbara Ryan*

by Anonymousreply 201November 2, 2023 2:34 PM

[quote]Zombie Nancy Hughes should come to Port Charles and lecture Ava, Sam and Carly on their trampy ways.

Surely Nancy has plenty to say to Carly Tenney.

by Anonymousreply 202November 2, 2023 2:36 PM

I have plenty to say about MANY of the trampy hussies of Oakdale.

But don't come for Lisa. That's my girl. I do appreciate a bitch with a plan.

by Anonymousreply 203November 2, 2023 4:28 PM

Wonder what Nancy would have to say about Reva Shayne Lewis.

Or to Reva for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 204November 2, 2023 5:10 PM

Or Helen to Kim Zimmer, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 205November 2, 2023 5:32 PM

Just came across these... she's stunning

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206November 3, 2023 4:40 AM

Another...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207November 3, 2023 4:41 AM

And another...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208November 3, 2023 4:41 AM

Last one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209November 3, 2023 4:41 AM

Great shots. They look early 70s. Any idea what the photo shoot was for?

by Anonymousreply 210November 3, 2023 4:44 AM

No idea, I just saw them on Facebook. I love the first 2 shots.

by Anonymousreply 211November 3, 2023 4:46 AM

Victoria Wyndham really was stunning in the 70s, she had some really fucked up hairdos in the 80s-the worst was that shoulder length mess she had in 1982 or so.

by Anonymousreply 212November 3, 2023 5:48 AM

Did she wear a wig when she had that long flip? By 1974 that hairstyle was pretty dated. Maybe Harding Lemay had a thing for flips.

by Anonymousreply 213November 3, 2023 7:07 AM

There's not currently an AMC thread, so I'll post this news here.

Peter White, who played Phoebe Tyler's son Lincoln Tyler on AMC in the 1970s, has died at 86.

Peter was also in the original production of Boys in the Band.

He also had roles on Secret Storm and Love is a Many Splendored Thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214November 3, 2023 7:36 AM

Ah, loved Peter White. Thanks R214. Even as a kid, I knew he was one of us. I read in article he did in Jon Michael Reed's old Daily TV Serials magazine where he basically talked about being assualted by a burglar who tied him up and put a gun in his mouth. He had a sweetness about him, and his obviously fake romance with Francessca James told me all I needed to know.

by Anonymousreply 215November 3, 2023 7:51 AM

Those photos of Lady Eyes A Buggin are quite sensational, even if it looks like she broke into Dusty Springfield's closet and borrowed a few outfits.

She definitely gives off Margaret Keane vibes in those photos.

by Anonymousreply 216November 3, 2023 12:47 PM

I also shared the Peter White news in the SOD thread.....seems to be a catchall chat going on there now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217November 3, 2023 1:01 PM

[quote]Did she wear a wig when she had that long flip? By 1974 that hairstyle was pretty dated. Maybe Harding Lemay had a thing for flips.

She had a long hair style through the mid 70s. The she went to that short perm thing at some point. Personally, I think she is a strikingly beautiful woman, but her hairstylists have failed her over the years.

In all honesty, some of those hairstyles made both VW and BM look older than their actual ages.

by Anonymousreply 218November 3, 2023 1:24 PM

R218 yes, McKinsey looked awful for a lot of AW. I think she had naturally thin straight hair and must have worn a wig on the show. Probably the same at GL. She looks great in her final GL years and when she first came on at GL, but they had a granny wig in rotation in the mid 80s and it aged her a good 15-20 years.

by Anonymousreply 219November 3, 2023 1:46 PM

The early 60s were not kind to Victoria Wyndham, at least not hairwise.

The permed short hair she was wearing for much of the decade were incredibly unflattering to her. By the end of the decade, they finally found a hair style that worked for her.

by Anonymousreply 220November 3, 2023 6:08 PM

R220 did you mean the 80s?

by Anonymousreply 221November 3, 2023 6:17 PM

Yikes! Yes, meant the 80s. thanks for catching that.

No idea what hairstyle VW had in the 60s.

by Anonymousreply 222November 3, 2023 6:40 PM

I remember reading a SOD question in the late 80s about Bev (pre Internet days) that said she was 50 (I think they shaved a few years off) and I was like, 50 now? The bitch looked 50 twenty years earlier!

I am one of the DL Bev fanatics and nothing but love here, but seriously, whoever did her hair in the 70s did her no favors.

by Anonymousreply 223November 3, 2023 7:52 PM

Yet another separate thread started on a topic we've discussed here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224November 5, 2023 4:55 AM

Someone was really hard for Matt Crane!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225November 6, 2023 3:12 PM

He was (and probably still is) a beautiful man, who eventually became a very proficient actor.

by Anonymousreply 226November 6, 2023 3:39 PM

[quote]I am one of the DL Bev fanatics and nothing but love here, but seriously, whoever did her hair in the 70s did her no favors.

La Bev did her own hair and makeup. Apparently she arrived at the studio in the mornings in full hair and makeup. That's been mentioned in several Locher Room sessions.

Not sure if she let the studio's hair and makeup people touch her up during the day. Or maybe she did that herself.

by Anonymousreply 227November 9, 2023 6:01 PM

I don't like that atall.

by Anonymousreply 228November 9, 2023 6:21 PM

Party at Reva Bend!!

November marks the 40th anniversary of the debut of Reva Shayne Lewis.

November 28 is the exact anniversary, but a party like this can't be contained to a single day. So, we're going full tilt boogie for entire month.

Share your Reva Shayne Lewis Lewis Spaulding Lewis Cooper Lewis Lewis O'Neil memories with us

by Anonymousreply 229November 10, 2023 2:01 AM

Of course this will have to kick off the celebration

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230November 10, 2023 2:20 AM

That video definitely wouldn't have been so memorable if Bolger hadn't done those thrusts.

by Anonymousreply 231November 10, 2023 2:39 AM

That was the moment he became MY Phillip!

J/k but he was damn hot

by Anonymousreply 232November 10, 2023 3:36 AM

Grant would have NEVER done those thrusts, NEVER.

His Phillip was way too uptight to ever let loose like that.

Bolger ignored the Spaulding stiff upper lip upbringing and let Phillip be looser and more carefree.

by Anonymousreply 233November 10, 2023 3:40 AM

[quote] Grant would have NEVER done those thrusts, NEVER. His Phillip was way too uptight to ever let loose like that.

If Grant had thrusted like that the law of physics might have broken down. His pendulousness might have caused a tsunami, and for sure would have poked a few eyes out.

by Anonymousreply 234November 10, 2023 3:43 AM

R181, I so wanted Gus to be Rita’s son.

by Anonymousreply 235November 10, 2023 3:05 PM

I was hoping Olivia would have been Rita and Ed's daughter - they actually look a bit alike.

But yes, making Gus a Spaulding was just so fucking random.

by Anonymousreply 236November 10, 2023 3:53 PM

Photos posted to the Locher Room FB page. One of a gathering of GL actors that also included Liz Keifer and Locher.

Everyone pretty much looks the same.

by Anonymousreply 237November 10, 2023 8:25 PM

November also marks the 40th anniversary of the debut of Lujack.

Nov. 29 is the exact date.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238November 10, 2023 10:48 PM

Beth and Lujack riding a horse on the beach while Almost Paradise plays.

From June 1984.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239November 10, 2023 10:50 PM

Didn't someone say Lujack was originally supposed to be paired with India or something like that?

It seems like they put Beth and Lujack together kinda quickly once he was on. Who knows

by Anonymousreply 240November 11, 2023 10:10 PM

Lujack debuted in Nov. 1983.

India debuted in September 1984.

Lujack and Beth were already a couple by the time India was on the scene.

Lujack and Beth didn't get together until after Lujack learned Alex was his mother in late April 1984, but had had scenes together to test their chemistry.

by Anonymousreply 241November 11, 2023 11:10 PM

Maybe it was Lujack and Mindy then. I just remember some really unlikely character was mentioned.

No, Bert, it wasn't you.

by Anonymousreply 242November 11, 2023 11:35 PM

Lujack wasn't part of Pam's Bible when she became HW.

Vince Irizarry started as a day player. They only gave him a contract when the audience reacted so positively to him. So, then they had to scramble to figure out how to work Lujack into the existing canvas.

I'm sure they also did chemistry tests with Lujack and Mindy to decided who to pair him with.

He also had lots of scenes early on with the Reardons since he was living in the boarding house. Also some scenes with Floyd and Katie and Hillary. Maybe they were thinking of pairing Lujack with Katie Parker.

by Anonymousreply 243November 11, 2023 11:43 PM

Beth and Phillip were the 'to root for' couple until Beth moved into The Boarding House, and something clicked with Lujack. I wonder if Grant wanted to be partnered with a hotter female than Judi? Or he wanted Phillip as more of an anti-hero. It certainly tied in with Alexandra on the canvas, and the rivalry between cousins Phillip and Lujack.

by Anonymousreply 244November 12, 2023 12:56 AM

I remember the explosion that blinded Beth....that was when I went from watching GL once or twice a week to, ooooh, I am all about watching this every DAY!

by Anonymousreply 245November 12, 2023 12:59 AM

Simon was the character originally intended for India but TPTB eventually put him with Jessie.

by Anonymousreply 246November 12, 2023 2:17 AM

Ugh, Jessie. Jessie and Calla bored the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 247November 12, 2023 3:35 AM

November is also the 30th anniversary of the debut of Tangie Hill.

by Anonymousreply 248November 13, 2023 4:45 PM

Marcy should have played a slightly de-aged Amanda Spaulding instead of that stupid character.

by Anonymousreply 249November 13, 2023 4:54 PM

NO. Kathleen Cullen was Amanda. Even with that, I liked Toby Poser until they made Amanda sordid - and a madam. I had no idea Toby was younger IRL than Grant and O'Leary, she should have been 10 years older at least.

by Anonymousreply 250November 13, 2023 5:26 PM

There was potential with Tangie being the never-before-mentioned ward of Roger. But the show went through so many HW changes in 1994 and 1995, none other subsequent writers had any interest in Tangie, or time to develop a story for her.

Show also never found a love interest for her. Tangie was brought to town to be paired with the just-returned-to Springfield Josh Lewis, but that quickly fizzled out. There was lots of potential with a Tangie and Alan-Michael pairing (Rick Hearst had chemistry with so many of his co-stars), but JFP was determined to stick with the AM-Lucy Cooper pairing.

by Anonymousreply 251November 13, 2023 6:13 PM

Didn't Marcy sort of click with the guy who played the cop, the one who wore the hairpiece? He was kind of a salty detective. There's no question she was wasted. She could have also played Emily Norris, who would have been Blake's cousin, and the daughter of Ed's one time love, Janet Norris - who was married to crazy Ken.

by Anonymousreply 252November 13, 2023 6:58 PM

Simon could’ve been a great character had he not been saddled with sappy Jessie. I like scenes with him and India.

I also liked Calla. Again, Jessie weighed her down. I liked when they did some comedy with Calla and Alexandra.

They story of Ross and Vanessa looking for their daughter had Calla/Jessie as a red herring that really fooled me.

by Anonymousreply 253November 14, 2023 12:50 AM

Who was more badly miscast? Marcy Walker as Tangie Hill on GL or Sharon Gabet as Brittany Peterson on AW?

Both were cast for their names with little forethought given to the character they were bring hired to play.

by Anonymousreply 254November 14, 2023 6:30 PM

Brittany Peterson was worse, it led to the Sally/Catlin/Brittany triangle, which indirectly led to making Sally expendable and then killed off, taking the Matthews family with her and Alice’s link to Bay City.

Brittany was also married to Peter Love, and that character was ruined by associating with her-within a year he went from a heroic character Cecile was trying to steal from Sally into a vaguely menacing villain accused of being a serial killer. . Peter could have had potential, the show needed more men in his age group and an Iris/Peter romance would have been interesting, Donna would not have approved.

Tangie , in contrast, didn’t inflict damage on veteran characters like that, so I would say she was relatively harmless.

by Anonymousreply 255November 14, 2023 6:46 PM

Good points r255.

JFP was determined to hire a name to counter program Luke and Laura's return on GH. But JFP and the revolving door of HWs at that point, gave no thought to what to do with Marcy.

They barely even created a character for her. They loosely tied her to Roger by saying Tangie had been his ward as a teenager. But that was about it. Didn't really do much to develop that connection to Roger.

And the pairing with Josh Lewis was dead on arrival. Sarah Shayne gave her a terse, "Ms. Hill" to greet her and we knew that relationship wouldn't last.

by Anonymousreply 256November 14, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote]Brittany Peterson was worse, it led to the Sally/Catlin/Brittany triangle, which indirectly led to making Sally expendable and then killed off, taking the Matthews family with her and Alice’s link to Bay City.

Sally and Catlin were AW's Bo and Hope.

They had fantastic chemistry and electrified the show. The two were falling in love in real life while their characters were also falling in love. It was amazing to watch

However, show couldn't keep Mary Page Keller when her contract was up. Should have offered her a year-long contract so she and Thomas Ian Griffin could leave together. That way Sally and Catlin could leave together and the characters could be brought back later (as happened with Bo and Hope).

Instead, they let her leave and recast with Taylor Miller who didn't have the chemistry with Catlin and the pairing fizzled. Catlin end up leaving town with Brittany.

by Anonymousreply 257November 14, 2023 8:25 PM

Tangie Hill is a very good representation of how misguided JFP was. She really thought THAT was what GL needed.

by Anonymousreply 258November 15, 2023 2:54 AM

Liz, I'm dying to know.....who will you be eavesdropping on next week on Thanksgiving? Any good gossip?

by Anonymousreply 259November 15, 2023 9:50 PM

I'm on pins and needles waiting for Thanksgiving at Emma's.

She serves up the most fabulous feast of delectable items! Scrumptious morsels and oh so impossible to resist tidbits. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Oh, and food is usually good too.

I'm especially looking forward to seeing how Jamie Frame and Andy Dixon get along. A little birdie told me those two have been squabbling over Mike Kasnoff. Well, Mike certainly is reason enough to squabble, but I'd suggest Jamie look toward a certain Springfield mansion instead. That is, if his deep throat is deep, deep, deep enough.

I'll also be curious to see how India von Halkein gets along with everyone now that she's ensconced in the palace in Tanquir. Apparently, there are lots of reminders of Cecile there. And apparently a certain Mary Ellen Walters once knew the Prince.

And Carly Tenney, bless her heart, is apparently going into a dress designing business with Melinda Sue Lewis. And, bless their hearts, neither has enough sense to come in out of the rain, let along run a business. But Nick McHenry has reappeared on the scene and if offering to help them, ahem, straighten it all out. That's all nice and good but wonder what Nick really wants. Or if its really Nick. You know, Nick looks an awful lot like Lujack . . . .

by Anonymousreply 260November 15, 2023 11:12 PM

whoa!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261November 16, 2023 8:54 PM

Colleen Zenk on Y&R!

by Anonymousreply 262November 17, 2023 12:02 AM

[quote] A little birdie told me those two have been squabbling over Mike Kasnoff.

I would pay for a look at THAT OnlyFans

by Anonymousreply 263November 17, 2023 12:27 AM

Hello Nikki!

by Anonymousreply 264November 17, 2023 4:59 PM

Locher will have Colleen on soon, of course.

by Anonymousreply 265November 18, 2023 3:53 AM

Rejoice, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266November 19, 2023 7:55 PM

Flashback complete 1997 episode. Kerr Smith!! Shirtless Mark!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 267November 21, 2023 11:35 PM

Why didn’t recast Ryder Hughes? His paternity would lead to all sorts of story. His sister Christina also should have come onto the canvas, as a scheming, spoiled brat-Kim and Nancy could have tried to rein her in.

by Anonymousreply 268November 22, 2023 12:57 AM

Mark Kasnoff was a wet rag. But he was a very hot, beefy wet rag.

by Anonymousreply 269November 22, 2023 1:20 AM

[quote]Why didn’t recast Ryder Hughes? His paternity would lead to all sorts of story.

Who were his parents?

by Anonymousreply 270November 22, 2023 2:06 AM

Lisa’s favorite ex, Grant Colman, and his nutty ex-wife, Joyce. The Lisa/Grant/Joyce/Don quadrangle was the #2 storyline in the 70s, after the Kim and Dan story.

by Anonymousreply 271November 22, 2023 2:10 AM

The same thing at GL - I could never understand why they never brought Peter Reardon in as an adult.

With Ryder, even, his bio and adoptive parents weren't in the picture when he was on the show. But Peter could have easily reconnected with Vanessa and been in the same story orbit as Dinah, Billy, Matt, even the Coopers.

by Anonymousreply 272November 22, 2023 3:13 AM

There are so many examples on the P&G shows of kids who should have returned, but didn’t. Besides Peter Reardon and Christina Hughes,, these are the ones I am thinking about, off the top of my head—

Another World: Ricky Matthews (Liz’s grandson); Cory and Jeanne Ewing (I believe Mac was the godfather of one of them); Kevin Thatcher (Sally’s son)

As The World Turns-The Stewart Quads; Cricket Montgomery’s; daughter; Matthew Dixon (Iva and John’s son); and I always assumed at some point we would find out Dan Stewart had a son in England when he lived there for a couple of years when he was trying to keep Emily from Susan.

Guiding Light-Rita’s long rumored child; Tony and Annabelle probably had kids; Nola’s daughter Stacey.

by Anonymousreply 273November 22, 2023 4:17 AM

Olivia should have been Rita and Ed's daughter. Or a daughter Rita isn't sure was Ed's or Roger's. It would have made sense for Rita to escape to San Cristobel and give up the baby for adoption there.

by Anonymousreply 274November 22, 2023 1:34 PM

On AW, Russ's daughter Olivia left town pregnant with Dennis Carrington Wheeler's child. So, she could have returned at any point with the young child that joined the Matthews and Cory families.

Likewise, Michael and Marianne Randolph, the twins that Pat Matthews Randolph had, likely had children off screen who could have returned at any point to also help revitalize the Matthews family.

by Anonymousreply 275November 22, 2023 5:25 PM

I think the quads should have arrived in Oakdale during ATWT’s final week.

by Anonymousreply 276November 22, 2023 6:04 PM

It was 60 years ago when that terrible unpleasantness with the President interrupted Nancy Hughes, who had given it a great deal of thought.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277November 22, 2023 7:08 PM

Didn’t Rosemary Prinz get in trouble the week after the assassination for adlibbing “after all the country has been through in the past few days” in a scene?

by Anonymousreply 278November 23, 2023 2:58 AM

She did get in trouble

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279November 23, 2023 3:10 AM

The NYT article referenced in r279

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280November 23, 2023 3:11 AM

My grandmother was watching World Turns at the time. I was in 7th grade in Catholic school. The principal announced the shooting over the intercom, and we were shepherded across the street to the church "to pray for the immortal soul of our president, John Fitzgerald Kennedy." Our parish was the Irish parish in town, so the announcement was fairly bursting with subtext.

by Anonymousreply 281November 23, 2023 6:10 AM

Posted on the Locher Room's FB page this morning. Interesting. It seems to be from somewhere in the 1985-1987 era. I don't see Reva Bend (unless I'm missing it?)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282November 23, 2023 6:33 PM

^

Love this!

Reva bend debuted early 1986.

H.B. Gave it an upgrade soon after.

by Anonymousreply 283November 23, 2023 6:52 PM

R283 Thanks. That was my thought, that this must be a very specific time on the show based on when Reva Bend appeared.

by Anonymousreply 284November 23, 2023 7:29 PM

Today is officially the anniversary of the debut of Reva Shayne Lewis.

Let's CELEBRATE!

40 Years of this unique character.

by Anonymousreply 285November 28, 2023 5:08 PM

Kim Zimmer's audition for Reva in October 1983.

She auditions with both Jordan Clarke and Robert Newman.

No wonder she got the part. The chemistry was there with Newman from the audition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286November 28, 2023 5:20 PM

I wonder if Nick will come to Springfield again this year?

by Anonymousreply 287November 29, 2023 4:20 AM

Colleen's back, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288November 29, 2023 10:46 PM

It's certainly good to see Colleen back on screen.

Also good to know that she took notes while in all those scenes with Anthony Herrera hamming it up as James Stenbeck.

by Anonymousreply 289November 30, 2023 12:46 AM

Uber Hot Gregg Marx wins the Emmy. Never married. Cabaret performer. Never understood why he didn't come out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290November 30, 2023 2:45 AM

If you are bored.......1990 Daytime Emmy Awards.........Tom (Scott Hughes) singing some of the opening number. Hosted by Oprah.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291November 30, 2023 3:42 AM

Gregg was never really in. He's not shy about it in interviews now.

by Anonymousreply 292November 30, 2023 3:45 AM

anything exciting in Coleen's locher room?

by Anonymousreply 293December 1, 2023 12:14 AM

Vincent Irrizary was in Locher Room today in honor of his 40th anniversary of starting on GL.

He revealed that when first started, there was an actor who took a dislike to him and/or Lujack. The actor, who he didn't name, assaulted him on several occasions by being too aggressive or too physical in their scenes together. When Vince confronted him about it, the actor said he was "Tired of this Lujack bullshit."

Vince had to go to the hospital once after the actor got too aggressive during rehearsal. Soon after, TPTB got involved and gave the actor a warning.

Vince never named the actor and said he never will name him.

So, we have to figure out who it was.

The talk about the actor starts about 22:00 in the video below.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294December 1, 2023 1:19 AM

Did Grant smack him with his pendulous dong?

by Anonymousreply 295December 1, 2023 1:35 AM

Watch the video and see who you think it is.

by Anonymousreply 296December 1, 2023 1:40 AM

That Charita Bauer had a mean streak, I'm telling you ...

by Anonymousreply 297December 1, 2023 2:08 AM

Was Vincent asked why he doesn't thinK GH has ever hired him? He is Anna Devanes ex husband and lots of past. I hated VI on AMC but thought he was great on GL when he joined in 1991 as Nick McHenry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298December 1, 2023 2:44 AM

R296, maybe Greg Beecroft?

Hate to think it was Grant — as I adore him

by Anonymousreply 299December 1, 2023 4:13 AM

No. Alan did not ask about GH.

by Anonymousreply 300December 1, 2023 4:15 AM

Grant was the first one to come to mind, I'll admit, because Lujack's rise would most directly impact him. And they had a lot of scenes together.

But I could see Greg Beecroft or Michael Woods, perhaps, too. Unless it was some member of the Galahads?

by Anonymousreply 301December 1, 2023 4:16 AM

It has to be Beecroft. Beecroft always seemed like he could be quite the envious bitch thug when triggered. And Irizarry was originally a day player as Lujack and I bet Beecroft resented the hell out of someone going from a day player to a contract player who was younger and hotter than he was.

by Anonymousreply 302December 1, 2023 4:22 AM

I heard Beecroft once threatened a soap reporter pretty much over nothing

He has a brother IRL who was on Falcon Crest

by Anonymousreply 303December 1, 2023 4:26 AM

[quote]I bet Beecroft resented the hell out of someone going from a day player to a contract player who was younger and hotter than he was.

Irrizary was [italic]never[/italic] hotter than Beecroft.

by Anonymousreply 304December 1, 2023 4:28 AM

Did Tony have an issue with Lujack? I know Lujack lived at the Boarding House, maybe he didn't like Bea's cooking? Later, Tony and Anabelle seemed to champion Beth and Lujack, so I do bet it was Grant. Phillip and Lujack had some confrontations. I also think Phillp went from leading man to villain to accomodate Lujack/Beth and we know GA was an ass to Judi Evans, so I'm thinking it was him.

by Anonymousreply 305December 1, 2023 6:06 AM

It would have to be someone who was already on the show before Lujack started. And it would seem most likely that it would have to be someone in Vince's age range. I can't see Chris Bernau doing that. Can't see Peter Simon doing it either. Or Don Stewart. Or Bill Roerick. Or Jerry ver Dorn.

Even though he is not in Vince's age range, I can see Jordan Clark possibly doing it. Jordan comes off as a hothead. However, Lujack was not taking away any air time from Billy. So, Jordan seems unlikely

Michael Woods started shortly after Vince did, so even though he is in that age range, Lujack wasn't taking away air time from Jim Reardon..

So, that gives us Grant Aleksander, Michael O'Leary, John Wesley Shipp, Robert Newman, Greg Beecroft and Tom Neilsen.

Michael O'Leary and Robert Newman both seem too easy going and passive to be the culprits. And I don't really recall Lujack stealing their airtime.

Likewise, JWS seems too calm and easy going to be the culprit. JWS left in late 1984 but show barely used him for hist final year. So, he might have felt threatened by Lujack's airtime. However, I don't recall any Lujack-Kelly Nelson scenes.

So, seems like the most likely candidates are Grant, Greg and Tom.

by Anonymousreply 306December 1, 2023 6:36 AM

Grant's known to be a perfectionist but I'd never heard anything about him being aggressive. Then again, two actors getting into their roles could have flare ups.

Beecroft, on the other hand, had a rep as an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 307December 1, 2023 4:58 PM

Coming up in the Locher Room - Jamey Giddens

by Anonymousreply 308December 1, 2023 6:20 PM

Full VIDEO.....2001.....Barbara marries Craig (played by DL Fave Hunt Block). Bryant was pretty hot. Frosty tips for men were really in back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309December 2, 2023 6:50 AM

R306, solid analysis. One note: JWS left GL in late 1983 -- not 84.

The show was putting Kelly and Claire together, unsuccessfully. He and Morgan were synonymous with each other and never the same after Kristen Vigard exited. NuMorgan and Amy were interchangeable it seemed.

It looked as if JWS talks with the shows went down to the wire as his exit seemed abrupt.

Phillip and Lujack had a lot of conflict. Can you imagine you find out the guy who's 'stolen' your girl is also your cousin? And HE's a blood cousin; YOU're the adopted one?

Early Lujack was a thug and I think he clubbed Tony over the head when he went to steal $ from Company. That would mean they had scenes together that got physical.

That knock on the head developed into something worse the following Feb. Tony collapsed at the gala that introduced Alexandra and he had to have emergency surgery. Lujack felt horrible. Tony forgave him.

Beecroft's character was a Marland creation and most of those characters were gone within two years of Marland's departure.

Vanessa and Henry were two of the rare holdovers. (Maureen stayed; Bea, too.) The new GL team was smart enough to hang onto Maeve and William Roerick,

Tony and Annabelle just left in the middle of a party in June 1985 to move to Calif.

I think Kobe and Long were wrong to lose Hope, Amanda, and even Hillary. The Bauers took some huge hits after Bert died and Mike was written out and Ed was recast.

I agree Grant's a perfectionist; I don't see him bullying a fellow actor. I don't think there's any love lost between Grant and Vincent but my money's on Beecroft.

Grant and Vincent did the Beverlee Locher room tribute together. I

by Anonymousreply 310December 2, 2023 7:23 AM

I forgot about what pets the Reardons were, of Marland's and of course the Texas cast imploding into Springfield was pretty obnoxious. Annabel and Jim were on Texas and became a couple and Tony was the dupe, if I recall, so that probably further muddied things.

by Anonymousreply 311December 2, 2023 4:23 PM

I went down a Texas rabbit hole recently. Pamela Long Hammer and Gail Kobe really turned that show around. If they just had a little more time, I think Texas could have been a hit. Can totally see why they were drafted for Guiding Light, even though - some fans called it Guiding Texas.

On another note, not PG related, I went down a 1980s The Doctors rabbit hole. Ralph Hunt and Eugenie Ellis made that show very watchable and Kim Zimmer is just killing it.

by Anonymousreply 312December 2, 2023 4:31 PM

[quote]One note: JWS left GL in late 1983 -- not 84.

Thanks. That's what I was recalling that he sort of vanished in late 1983. But the website below said JWS's last scenes were in Nov. 1984.

i trusted they were right, figuring maybe JWS had a scene or two here and there sprinkled throughout 1984, but those scenes were so insignificant I couldn't remember them 40 years later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313December 2, 2023 11:14 PM

[quote]On another note, not PG related, I went down a 1980s The Doctors rabbit hole. Ralph Hunt and Eugenie Ellis made that show very watchable and Kim Zimmer is just killing it.

Going down a 1980s rabbit hole of the Doctors wouldn't last all that long since there are only 8 months worth of episodes available -- from January 1980 to September 1980.

Last I head, the company putting the Doctors episodes online discovered that NBC stopped saving copies of the episodes after it took ownership of the series from Colgate Palmolive in Sept. 1980.

So, the episodes from Sept 1980 to Dec 1982 when the show was canceled no longer exist.

Or did they find an archive of those last two years worth of episodes somewhere?

But yes, i agree, Kim Zimmer was astonishing as Nola.

by Anonymousreply 314December 3, 2023 12:25 AM

Kelly Nelson at our breakfast table in a dripping wet Speedo!

It put dew on my lily, I confess.

by Anonymousreply 315December 3, 2023 12:33 AM

A little Christmas cheer from Kelly Nelson. The setup had me thinking he was going to sing "Silver Bells," but no, it's a JWS original, apparently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316December 3, 2023 12:38 AM

I think we're *all* the little gayling at 16:55, who's imagining what Kelly looks like naked.

by Anonymousreply 317December 3, 2023 12:43 AM

[quote]But yes, i agree, Kim Zimmer was astonishing as Nola.

All three Nolas were great … Kathryn Harrold, Kathleen Turner & Zimmer.

by Anonymousreply 318December 3, 2023 12:49 AM

I was actually talking about 1980 and 1980 alone - not the "80s". I think Ellis and Hunt were fired soon after NBC purchased the show and, apparently they wiped the tapes after that. But I was 11/12 during the final 2 years of The Doctors, so I actually saw some of the mess the show became - even though I wish I could have seen the Lemay years again through adult eyes.

I had sort of written off the last two years of the show, but, again, Ellis and Hunt, were not bad at all. To bring this back around to PG Ellis and Hunt also wrote Search for Tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 319December 3, 2023 1:46 AM

R317 kudos to the director for staying on that kid

I swear sometimes I feel I never outgrew that confused gayling phase

by Anonymousreply 320December 3, 2023 1:52 AM

Kelly gave Morgan a framed Polaroid of the two of them for Christmas from this gathering.

Nola stole it and made sure Kelly thought that Morgan discarded it. He was crushed. She nearly got him into bed.

by Anonymousreply 321December 3, 2023 1:58 AM

Am reading the Ryan's Hope book.

The general content and structure of the book is interesting.....but there are so many spelling errors, it's gotten kind of distracting.

by Anonymousreply 322December 5, 2023 1:28 PM

[quote]but there are so many spelling errors, it's gotten kind of distracting.

Yikes! That's always so distracting. Cheapens the overall quality of the book.

Is this book self published? Quite often self-published authors don't wan to pay for a copy editor to proof the book.

by Anonymousreply 323December 5, 2023 5:29 PM

R322 what was done to Sarah Felder was criminal, the author should have reached out to her. This Jackie Smith cunt deserved to burn in hell.

And frankly I heard enough from closeted Richard Backus (Barry Ryan) to last a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 324December 5, 2023 5:33 PM

It was a solid attempt and had some good content, but the author dedicated way too much time to small figures on the show.

We did not need to hear from the child actor who played little Johnny or his mother eleven hundred fucking times.

by Anonymousreply 325December 5, 2023 6:19 PM

In his Locher Room session, the Ryan's Hope book guy indicated there were a lot of people he couldn't get interviews with.

Both Kate Mulgrew and Marg Helgenberger, probably the two most successful RH alum, turned down his interview requests.

Others he simply couldn't find to put in the interview request.

by Anonymousreply 326December 5, 2023 6:42 PM

He must have been working on it for a while, as he had lengthy comments from both Michael Levin and Roscoe Born.

by Anonymousreply 327December 5, 2023 7:26 PM

It was interesting to read comments about Helen Gallagher. Half of them were complimentary, the other half insinuated she was a cold cunt.

Much like fellow soap matriarchs Mary Stuart and Helen Wagner.

I think only Charita Bauer was known to be as nice offscreen as on screen. She had a ribald sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 328December 5, 2023 11:51 PM

Elevera Roussel told a story in a defunct magazine (I guess they all are now -- sad) that she had [italic] one [/italic] line on her first day compared to Jerry verDorn who also started on the same day and had tons of dialogue with his accused rapist client Roger Thorpe -- and she flubbed it in rehearsal.

She apologized and she said Charita said, "That's okay! We're just glad you're here!"

I would haven't killed off Maureen back in early 1993. Of course, have her find out about the affair with Ed and Lillian and then divorce Ed and fight for custody of Michelle with backing from Roger.

But no, they had to open up the budget for FOJ's. The show would have been smart to rehire Roussel and plant her in the Bauer kitchen as the new matriarch.

It was really tough watching GL and ATWT go as they felt most like family. ATWT kept so many people but still felt unfamiliar; GL LOST so many people and did not feel familiar. The endings for both were painful. Everytime ATWT highlighted a newbie in the final weeks it hurt. It also hurt watching Kim give Katie a 'kiddo' special over a dying Chris knowing that we wouldn't have those anymore.

GL brought back a slew of favorites in its final weeks and months -- Phillip, Ed, Nola, Holly, Dylan, Fletcher, Mindy -- it was tough watching that show go.

by Anonymousreply 329December 6, 2023 4:47 AM

R329 Kim Zimmers book is fun if you haven't read it. I got it at the library. I think KZ was really honest in the book. She talked the End Days at GL and the ridiculousness of filming a soap opera on location with basically no sets. She talked about how everyone thought she was making a million dollar paycheck when she left GL in the early 1990s. etc etc...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330December 6, 2023 9:00 AM

The RH book was sad to read but in the end the story was/is the same as so many other shows.

Corporate influence came in, didn't understand what they were making and ruined everything people liked about the show, and then starved it and/or left it to rot until it ended.

by Anonymousreply 331December 6, 2023 2:02 PM

Actress Ellen Holly has died.

She is best known for playing Carla Gray on OLTL, but she also had a recurring role playing Judge Collier on GL in the late 80s, early 90s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332December 7, 2023 9:39 PM

I have NO recollection of her at all

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333December 7, 2023 11:03 PM

R333 Me neither, but the language Locher used on his FB post was hilariously OTT.

Her iconic performance......LOLOLOLOL

by Anonymousreply 334December 7, 2023 11:42 PM

On "The Doctors" who beside David O'Brien was gay? The sister of a friend was David's nurse at the end of his life.

by Anonymousreply 335December 8, 2023 12:37 AM

R335 Peter Burnell, Mike Powers 68-73 was gay. I always wondered about Patrick Horgan who was great as the wicked Dr. John Morrison. And lest we forget Glenn Corbett(Jason Aldrich) who was Dr. Steve's brother. In real life Glenn married while on the Drs., a union that lasted a month before the bride got an annullment. Daivd O'B was his best man.

by Anonymousreply 336December 8, 2023 6:55 AM

Peter Burnell was stunningly beautiful. Sad that he died by suicide - speculation that he may have done so after learning he and his partner both had HIV/AIDS.

Glenn Corbett was handsome too, in a very different way.

by Anonymousreply 337December 8, 2023 11:58 AM

Today in soap history

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 338December 8, 2023 4:57 PM

I really miss these shows.

by Anonymousreply 339December 9, 2023 3:13 AM

Another World 60th Anniversary gathering on May 4 in Tarrytown New York.

Cast reunion, fan luncheon, silent auction and more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340December 11, 2023 8:50 PM

Will Lady Eyes a Buggin make an appearance?

That estate looks like the Cory mansion. LOL

by Anonymousreply 341December 11, 2023 8:52 PM

Daytime Confidential podcaster and Days scriptwriter Jamey Giddens was in the Locher Room.

Very intersting conversation hearing about his history.

He started off as a NBC fan, loving Santa Barbara and AW in the 80s. He gradually added more soaps over the year.

He was a journalism major in college, with the hope of eventually getting into soap writing. He ended up working as a media spokesperson for the CDC for about a decade before moving over to write OWN's "Ambitions" and then Days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342December 11, 2023 9:36 PM

Someone really used to make fun of Giddens here. But bless his heart, he's turned his fandom of soaps into a successful career.

Based on his "casting fantasies" he'd write on Daytime Confidential, his concepts and take on soaps in general was a little too over the top/Dynasty for me. But good for him for getting out there and making his ideas happen!

by Anonymousreply 343December 15, 2023 9:29 PM

I'm really surprised Roger Newcomb didn't end up doing the same. I thought he would be the next Doug Marland.

by Anonymousreply 344December 16, 2023 12:44 AM

Was disappointed that the In Memoriam Reel at Friday's Daytime Emmys failed to include Nancy Frangione. Also failed to have Lisa Brown.

Elizabeth Hubbard was included but they identified her as Althea on the Doctors. No mention of Lucinda, a role she played longer than Althea. However, the Lead Actress Emmy that she won was for Althea, won back at the very first Daytime Emmy ceremony ever held.

by Anonymousreply 345December 17, 2023 12:25 AM

R345 I didn’t see the Emmy’s but those are all HUGE misses. They are all very iconic figures in daytime (including Lucinda the character).

by Anonymousreply 346December 17, 2023 9:39 AM

They forgot Peter White, too. He'd been on at least 5 soaps.

by Anonymousreply 347December 17, 2023 10:53 AM

Lisa Brown died in 2021. Might they have had her on an In Memoriam an earlier award year?

Definitely a shame to have forgotten Nancy Frangione.

by Anonymousreply 348December 17, 2023 12:56 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349December 19, 2023 4:17 AM

"I never did care for Vicky Wyndham."

by Anonymousreply 350December 19, 2023 9:37 PM

[quote][R345] I didn’t see the Emmy’s but those are all HUGE misses. They are all very iconic figures in daytime (including Lucinda the character).

Problem is, it was just a production company putting together another awards show. The production companies know little to nothing about the soaps. All they're really interested in getting the show together.

For the In Memoriam reel, I suspect the soaps have to submit the names of people for the reel. And there's nobody there officially submitting names for canceled shows.

That's likely also why we also got people like Andrea Evans being identified as playing Rebecca on Passions rather than Tina on OLTL. She played both roles, but is certainly better known for Tina. No idea why the In Memoriam reel couldn't have listed multiple soap roles people played.

by Anonymousreply 351December 20, 2023 6:00 PM

Liz Hubbard would have been 90 yesterday.

Martha's birthday is today.

by Anonymousreply 352December 23, 2023 2:19 PM

Grant's pendulousness debuted on 12/22 in 1982.....still as pendulous as ever!

by Anonymousreply 353December 24, 2023 12:12 AM

R316: IMO, John Wesley Shipp's portrayal of stalker, Douglas Cummings on ATWT rank highly among the best storyline on daytime.

by Anonymousreply 354December 24, 2023 7:23 AM

The Edge of Night ABC 90 Minute Special from December 1, 1975.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355December 24, 2023 2:16 PM

What a Christmas present getting that full 90 minute episode of Edge of Night.

I guess someone in New York was cleaning out his/her mother's house and found the videotape. However, we came to have it, its fantastic to see it again 48 years later.

Show had to wrap up the CBS storylines and launch the ABC storylines and hopefully hook some new ABC viewers. It was a masterful episode. So glad to see it again.

by Anonymousreply 356December 26, 2023 1:15 AM

Adam Drake driving a Camero was cool.

by Anonymousreply 357December 26, 2023 3:09 AM

There was a thread about a year ago regarding fan letters. Have any of our Marvelous Midwestern regulars written to a favorite star?

by Anonymousreply 358December 31, 2023 12:25 AM

Happy New Year everyone!

I never wrote to a individual actor.

I did write a few fan letters to the shows in the early 80s. I think it was 1981 or 1982, I wrote some letters to AW, Texas and Days. Don't ever recall getting a response from any of them.

Also sent a post card to AW protesting the recasting of Julia Shearer when Kyra Sedgewick left the role in June1983. They replaced Julia with Joanna Lee who couldn't handle the part. Joanna was recast three weeks later with Faith Ford.

by Anonymousreply 359January 2, 2024 6:18 PM

I wrote to some GL and ATWT actors. I received a reply with a headshot from Parker Posey (we share a birthday). Wish I could find it.

Later I attended quite a few GL fan luncheons (ATWT actors often attended as well). The actors I interacted with were so nice and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 360January 2, 2024 7:00 PM

I somehow never wrote to many actors - I guess it never occurred to me.

I missed writing to Beverlee when she was Alex, but after reading a very well done article in Weekly about Marj Dusay, one where she spoke about the death of her son Randy, I wrote her a nice letter and received a reply.

Years later, I met Marj and several other GL'ers at a few events.

by Anonymousreply 361January 2, 2024 7:05 PM

I remember that interview with Marj talking about her son being gay and dying of AIDS. That was brave of her to do that interview. That was 1993 or 1994, within the first year of her joining GL.

That was at a time when few celebrities would talk about having relatives die of AIDS. And here Marj was talking about how much she loved her gay son and how sad she was that he had died so young.

Bravo to Marj for doing the interview and bravo to Soap Weekly for running it. Soap Digest would never have run that story in 1993.

by Anonymousreply 362January 2, 2024 7:53 PM

I participated in a MediaDomain-driven, postcard bombardment of CBS when Scott Bryce was fired by Chris Goutman on Christmas Eve.

Gosh, I loved MediaDomain. Wild times.

by Anonymousreply 363January 3, 2024 1:05 AM

Does anyone remember Dax from MediaDomain? He had some kind of inside access.

by Anonymousreply 364January 3, 2024 5:57 PM

I remember Dax - I think it was the same Dax I knew. He was part of a message board I was on that was kinda secret. I think he had an in at P&G for GL and ATWT.

by Anonymousreply 365January 3, 2024 6:14 PM

I can't remember Media Domain much, I think they'd frozen signups or something when I tried

by Anonymousreply 366January 3, 2024 6:15 PM

The arguments on the MD ATWT page were just insane, so vicious. Carly vs. Julia, Paul vs. Craig, Mike vs. Simon, Katie vs. Jennifer...

by Anonymousreply 367January 3, 2024 6:45 PM

Does anyone recall nutty danfling? He wouldn't acknowledge any of the West Coast soaps, lol.

by Anonymousreply 368January 3, 2024 7:30 PM

I think our looney troll was outcast from MD - we know he was outcast from other boards as well.

by Anonymousreply 369January 3, 2024 7:33 PM

Wasn’t Dangling also the poster who would become very upset about EON and GL having dropped the article the from their tiitles?

by Anonymousreply 370January 3, 2024 7:49 PM

Titles*

by Anonymousreply 371January 3, 2024 7:50 PM

R370 nooooo....don't summon the troll(s). The DL has been blissfully peaceful.....

by Anonymousreply 372January 3, 2024 7:52 PM

Has anyone here watched "Venice?"

I wasn't down with web soaps in the beginning but I keep seeing snippets of it and it looks well done, so I might have to pony up the big bucks and watch it.

by Anonymousreply 373January 6, 2024 1:52 PM

(I'm sure this thread is starting to drag so we'll have a new Marvelous thread soon, contemplating the next topic now....)

by Anonymousreply 374January 6, 2024 9:29 PM

Posted elsewhere - unconfirmed reports that Bridget Dobson has died

by Anonymousreply 375January 7, 2024 2:00 AM

Michael Logan is reporting it. She was a brilliant writer, and I think people overlook the Dobsons when they’re fawning over the equally brillant Doug Marland.

Look at the characters they created-Laura Spencer; Alan Spaulding; Phillip Spaulding; Rita Bauer; Ross Marler; James Stenbeck; Margo Hughes; Dusty Donovan…. and that’s before getting to Santa Barbata.

They created storylines that impacted their shows for decades-Holly’s rape by Roger; the paternity of Phillip Spaulding; James Stenbeck’s obsession with Barbara and their son; Lesley Webber’s search for Laura….

In Bridget’s honor, I’ll post the infamous clip of Santa Barbara’s first Emmy win for Best Daytime Drama. NBC had banned the Dobsons from the show , and the Dobsons were locked in a lawsuit with the network that helped kill the show. NBC replaced them with Jill Farren Phelps, but the Emmy win was for an episode made during the Dobson’s tenure.

Bridget ran to the stage to accept the award while Jill Farren Phelps stood behind her, fuming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376January 7, 2024 3:37 AM

Sad about Bridgett.

I always wondered why P&G didn't lure them back to ATWT after Marland died in 1993. That was just after Santa Barbara was canceled, so the timing would have been right.

Or back to GL circa 1994 or 95 when everything on that show was going to hell.

Or even to AW at some point in the 90s to see if they could turn the show around.

by Anonymousreply 377January 7, 2024 4:33 AM

I imagine the Dobsons' legal battles against NBC and New World might have made other networks think twice about hiring them.

by Anonymousreply 378January 7, 2024 2:16 PM

By the mid 90s the money for head writers was probably far less than it had been, particularly at the P&G shows.

by Anonymousreply 379January 7, 2024 6:36 PM

I think they made a TON of money off Santa Barbara.

I heard they were presenting at the Writers Guild Awards maybe 15 years ago and they looked terrific; rested, healthy, and enjoying life.

by Anonymousreply 380January 7, 2024 8:17 PM

R380 The Dobsons had some level of ownership of SB so yes, they must have made some $$ for sure.

by Anonymousreply 381January 8, 2024 12:40 AM

[quote]By the mid 90s the money for head writers was probably far less than it had been, particularly at the P&G shows.

They couldn't be paid lower than the WGA minimum, which was still a very nice salary for a working writer

by Anonymousreply 382January 8, 2024 12:49 AM

[quote]I imagine the Dobsons' legal battles against NBC and New World might have made other networks think twice about hiring them.

That likely left shows nervous about hiring them.

But the Dobsons didn't start the fight. NBC did by locking them out.

by Anonymousreply 383January 8, 2024 1:45 AM

I can’t imagine them going back to Guiding Light, with the odious Jill Phelps as EP.

Their ATWT stint wasn’t as successful as GL; the vets (especially Helen Wagner) complained about their storylines.

I could see them at AW; Cass and Donna feel like characters they would have liked using.

by Anonymousreply 384January 8, 2024 1:51 AM

Bridget and Jerome's GL was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 385January 8, 2024 2:22 AM

their writing wasn't nominated for a DT Emmy but their writing tenure earned GL its first Daytime Emmy win for Best Drama.

I remember a scene that must have been theirs in which Diane Ballard, played to bitchy perfection by Sofia Landon, talked about her childhood; how her dad went to jail for insider trading or something and how it changed her life; the shame, being poor.

it explained a lot about why Diane was the way she was. All that characterization in that one little scene that Y&R can't put forth in a month.

by Anonymousreply 386January 8, 2024 4:30 PM

Finally got around to watching the Soap Digest episode of the Locher Room.

I was startled to hear Stephanie Sloane say that she's going to be writing a Soap column for TV Guide starting in early 2024. Said TV Guide approached her about doing it.

Why are they having Stephanie Sloane do a soap column? Why not have Michael Logan revive his soap column?

She talks about the TV Guide gig in the last few minutes of the Locher Room session.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387January 9, 2024 7:31 AM

R387 Good question. Michael Logan is in his seventies now and may be retired.

But I know he didn't leave TVGuide willingly.....and after writing for TVInsider for a while, that seemed to peter out.

by Anonymousreply 388January 9, 2024 12:17 PM

I didn't realize Michael Logan was gone from TV Guide.

Once they canceled his soap column, I really didn't follow his career. But I would still see his byline on stories here and there, usually on articles dealing with sci-fi shows.

He'd been at TV Guide since the mid 1980s, hadn't he?

Was he fired after they canceled the soap column? And then he just did occasional freelance pieces? What are the circumstances about his departure?

by Anonymousreply 389January 9, 2024 6:48 PM

He was at Soap Opera Digest. I remember once he got a lot of hate from the fraus for writing that he preferred Robin Scorpio (who was still a child at the time) when she was comatose.

He also feuded with the woman who wrote the Marlena Delacroix column for SOW.

Such a bitchy queen, he must have been a Datalounger.

by Anonymousreply 390January 9, 2024 6:53 PM

I don't think Logan and Marlena had a deep feud.

But Nellie Branco said some rude shit about Marlena in print....they had a feud, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 391January 10, 2024 4:05 AM

From everything I’ve read and heard, it is astounding shows like DAYS, AMC, OLTL, and YR took off in the late 70s/early 80s. It must have just been they were the new, younger shows because they were largely horribly acted and stupid. ATWT, AW and some of the grand dames of Daytime were seen as old whereas GL avoided that label by the sheer quality and casting of the show. I can see why GH was considered must watch, but it barely survived because it was shit before it was saved at the last minute.

It is fascinating how GL went head to head with the phenomenon GH and other high rated game shows yet remained a top rated show. Those shows never really hurt GL’s ratings except maybe that GL would have been #1 had GH not dragged up the rest of ABC’s lineup.

by Anonymousreply 392January 10, 2024 10:49 AM

R392 Y&R took off like a thunderbolt in the early 70's. It had everything going for it, top notch writing/production and talented newcomers. Don't lump it in with those other shows. THEY all copied Y&R from that point on.

by Anonymousreply 393January 10, 2024 4:15 PM

Idk how anyone watches soaps now. The last few are dreadful. Dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 394January 10, 2024 5:18 PM

Y&R was visually beautifully but always dull as dishwater. A strange mix of Irna Phillips moralism and Bill Bell's kinky bedroom fantasies.

Then again, the same can be said about most of Marland's writing. LOL

by Anonymousreply 395January 10, 2024 5:50 PM

I have to say, I watched the Jordan/Claire/Nikki scenes and a few of the preceding Jordan scenes on Y&R and it was the most interesting thing I've seen on soaps in years.

I have no interest in most of what these shows offer now, though. Y&R is all business BS and the personal affairs of about 8 leading characters who are neither young nor restless, but rather AARP ready.

B&B has played basically the same story for its 30 years - pretty foursomes ping ponging between one partner and the other every few weeks. I loathed it except for Stephanie and OG Sally, and once they left there was no reason to watch.

DAYS and GH - I just never got into the action-adventure, someone is wearing a mask of your face and pretending to be you kind of bullshit. Both occasionally have down to earth storytelling but you have to wade through a lot of feces to get to it. Sorry, but no.

by Anonymousreply 396January 10, 2024 6:06 PM

WTF did YR have that kept it #1 since the mid-80s? Aside from some really good years, it was so repetitive and dull a lot of times. Production values? A lot of soaps had, at one time or another, excellent production values. GL blew its budget on excellent, top notch production values. Hype? Mystique? I never understood why or how it remained #1 for so long. Time slot?

The ONE thing I can think of is, for all its flaws, it had consistency with its TPTB. A show like GL went from top notch quality in every area, to bottom of the barrel, back to top notch quality in the span of 10-12 years. GL never really recovered from late 85/86/early 87.

by Anonymousreply 397January 10, 2024 9:29 PM

Y&R stays at #1 because people watch it at lunch.

by Anonymousreply 398January 10, 2024 10:02 PM

[quote] GL never really recovered from late 85/86/early 87.

Maybe not back to #1, but it definitely firmed up (ratings and in quality) during Pam Long's second stint, and was on solid ground during the Curlee/Demorest years.

Something weird went down in 1993 - I think some corporate consolidation of some kind at CBS, and GL almost got cancelled. They kept the show, but '93 was when a bunch of markets started playing it in the morning, which was the beginning of death by a thousand cuts - it just took 16 years for the patient to bleed to death.

by Anonymousreply 399January 10, 2024 10:07 PM

Didn’t CBS lose a ton of affiliates to FOX in 93/94? R398 is right-Y&R is the perfect show to have on in the lunch breakroom in a workplace-the pace is glacial so you can miss days of the show and not really miss anything.

by Anonymousreply 400January 10, 2024 10:46 PM

Ed Trask, head of production for the P&G soaps, retired in 1993. He was a super strong advocate for soaps and without him there standing up for the soaps, the genre was hurt severely.

by Anonymousreply 401January 10, 2024 10:59 PM

R401 and 400 make sense

R399 of course, GL was superb from 89-93. 91/92 was epic.

by Anonymousreply 402January 10, 2024 11:03 PM

The name is Ed Trach, NOT Trask.

He was with P&G Productions for 35 years. After Ed Trach retired in 1993, he was ultimately replaced by MADD.

by Anonymousreply 403January 11, 2024 1:07 AM

The MADD cow.

by Anonymousreply 404January 11, 2024 2:04 AM

I believe Logan left TVGM in late 2017 so it's been quite a while.

One of his last interviews was with Jackie Zeman on her 40th anniversary with GH and Jackie died about four months after celebrating her 45th.

The magazine used to be more opinion and dish -- now, it's MOSTLY preview. So Logan's opinions e.g. "Danny and Cricket: Boring!" are a thing of the past. EVERYONE has an opinion now. Everyone. Having a platform to tout your feelings isn't special anymore because everyone has one now. The reality is that most anyone can write a preview; here's what's going to happen. blah blah blah.

I think the magazine is TRI-weekly now. That's a really long lead time. Soaps aren't going to want info getting out too early so whatever is in there will probably be from the first week it's on sale -- not the last two weeks; It'd be giving too much story away.

by Anonymousreply 405January 11, 2024 6:56 AM

MADD = Mickey Against Daytime Drama

by Anonymousreply 406January 11, 2024 7:29 AM

[quote]I believe Logan left TVGM in late 2017 so it's been quite a while.

What has Michael Logan been doing for the last six years? Is he writing for some other magazine? Or is he retired? Does he have an online soap blog? I

by Anonymousreply 407January 11, 2024 6:21 PM

R407 He seems to be largely retired - I used to see posts of his on Twitter/X but since I quit that site they generally are not visible to me.

by Anonymousreply 408January 11, 2024 6:42 PM

Thanks r408

by Anonymousreply 409January 11, 2024 6:43 PM

It’s a shame GL and ATWT were owned by who they were. Both were sabotaged. GL was starting to hit on all cylinders in its last year. The show was looking good. Some of the scenes outside were actually pretty spectacular. There was a scene with Otalia outside in an actual blizzard have an intense conversation and it was stunning. It didn’t look cheap, but actually could look the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 410January 11, 2024 9:31 PM

Natalia leaving the church after realizing she couldn't marry Frank and walking out into the snow towards the gazebo was like a movie.

Phillip was back. Jill Lorie Hurst had been there a long time and really new and loved the characters.

Those sets though...UG so small. Someone on maybe media domain quipped that Phillip couldn't be coming back because Grant's shoulders were too broad to go up that narrow spiral staircase.

by Anonymousreply 411January 11, 2024 10:02 PM

R410 yeah, I think sabotage is a good description.

GL had the terrible awful luck of having its switch to the new production model happen in the early weeks of the 2007 writers' strike, so there were scenes with nothingness.....Jonathan driving around, Reva opening a jar of mayo.....it so badly squandered interest.

If they'd come out of the gate with legit story - like Otalia - maybe it would have lasted a few more years. I think both CBS and P&G were done by then, though.

The 2008 financial crash did not help.

by Anonymousreply 412January 11, 2024 10:14 PM

I used to love Michael Logan's "Logan's Outtakes" in Soap Opera Digest in the 80s. In those columns though, he always referred to his "wife." I shoulda known that nobody that obsessed with soaps was straight but I was 15 so what did I know. He ever come out?

by Anonymousreply 413January 11, 2024 10:49 PM

[quote] In those columns though, he always referred to his "wife." I shoulda known that nobody that obsessed with soaps was straight

Has Michael Logan ever come out? I've seen him in person a few times at various events and he was always putting on a straight act. One time he even had a woman on his arm.

by Anonymousreply 414January 11, 2024 10:55 PM

Marshall Hilliard is in the Locher Room tomorrow. He's looking good.

by Anonymousreply 415January 12, 2024 12:04 AM

Sister Mary Logan may have been playing the beard game but he was never, ever in.

by Anonymousreply 416January 12, 2024 12:04 AM

Yes, there were some really gorgeous, movie like quality for the outside scenes. I think it was starting to really work-story wise, looks, quality in writing, luring Grant back- it was interesting and looked fabulous. I actually thought some of the real homes and other structures looked good. Some of the built sets were bad. LOL. But the other was superb.

Of course, they wanted out of the soap biz. It sucked THEY had to have ownership when I think GL, had it been owned by another company, may still be around. Otalia was gathering a rabid fan base.

by Anonymousreply 417January 12, 2024 12:13 AM

I met Michael Logan once. He was really nice. I always loved his columns. I used to like his talk show.

by Anonymousreply 418January 13, 2024 2:20 AM

98-year-old Bill Hayes has died.

He played Doug Williams on Days since 1970.

Although he wasn't on a P&G soap, thought I'd mention it over here so P&G people could know.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419January 13, 2024 2:42 AM

Separate thread discussing Bill Hayes death.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420January 13, 2024 2:43 AM

Of course, we'll go to the Bill thread to discuss -

......but I will say that I was introduced to soaps by Mom, who was a big DAYS and Doug/Julie fan, and that was my getaway drug to AW, and Rachel and Iris, and my love for P&G.

Sad to see this news.

by Anonymousreply 421January 13, 2024 3:51 AM

A photo on the Locher Room FB page.

Grant at peak pendulousness, perhaps?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422January 16, 2024 2:40 PM

That photo would be circa 1987.

That was the hair that Grant had at that point.

by Anonymousreply 423January 16, 2024 5:05 PM

The very definition of BDF

by Anonymousreply 424January 16, 2024 5:37 PM

For our Andy Dixon/Defrietas troll, as seen on the Locher Room FB page today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425January 18, 2024 6:41 PM

We are fast approaching the 40th anniversary of the arrival of Beverlee McKinsey in Springfield!

Alexandra's debut occurred on February 10, 1984 during a party at the country club.

by Anonymousreply 426January 22, 2024 5:46 PM

Today, John Wesley Shipp turned 69 years old.

Sixty-nine!

Grant Aleksander is a mere whippersnapper of 63 (64 in August).

by Anonymousreply 427January 23, 2024 3:04 AM

This is GH but I was quite surprised to see Mulcahey's name here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428January 23, 2024 3:10 AM

What I said on the GH thread:

Patrick Mulcahey is a fascinating choice as HW.

He's good at working with a co-head writer and/or writing team but his real strength is writing dialogue. He wrote some of the most flawless dialogue for various actors on GL and during his time on Santa Barbara.

I loathe B&B but he wrote a few notable scenes there too, including the scene where Katie told slutty sister Brooke off after Brooke took Katie's husband......he just has a wonderful ear for it.

by Anonymousreply 429January 23, 2024 3:18 AM

Patrick Mulcahey is the best dialogue writer in daytime. Didn’t he write Maureen’s final monologue when she confronted Ed for sleeping with Lillian (the “you turned our life into a sick suburban joke” speech)?

He’s the one who said Nancy Lee Grahn’s nickname amongst the Santa Barbara writers was Nancy Lee Groan, because she was always bitching about one thing or another.

by Anonymousreply 430January 23, 2024 4:20 AM

I am pretty sure (but not 100 percent certain) that Mulcahey wrote the long monologue where Alexandra read Roger for filth at the Country Club.

There was a scene that he wrote for Marj Dusay as Pamela on SB which is apparently very memorable for SB fans.

by Anonymousreply 431January 23, 2024 3:37 PM

It will be interesting to see how Mulcahey's theatrical approach clashes with Valentini's insistence on quick, disposable scenes.

Though Mulcahey sublimated his style on the execrable Bold & Beautiful, so I guess he's willing to go along to get along.

by Anonymousreply 432January 23, 2024 8:36 PM

R430, yes, he wrote a similar line for Julia and Mason on SB.

Pretty sure he wrote Tracy handing her coat to Justus thinking he was the new Q butler; and then, a similar thing happened with Marcus on B&B.

by Anonymousreply 433January 24, 2024 2:15 AM

R432

I thought mulcahey wrote some great stuff on B&B

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434January 25, 2024 11:33 PM

A new thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435January 30, 2024 10:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!