Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The DEFINITIVE Marsha P. Johnson biography is coming!

This piece of scholarship will add so much to the "who threw the first brick?" discussion.

[quote] it wasn’t just anti-blackness and transphobia that saw Marsha not foregrounded in this story, but also neuro-normativity.

[quote]“It seems reasonable to conclude that Marsha Johnson was almost undoubtedly among the first to be violent that night and may possibly have even been the first. [bold]Marsha's inability to speak with any coherence and focus[/bold] is no doubt the reason we do not have a clear account of our own recollections.”

This important revelation about Marsha's incoherence, lack of focus, and neuro-abnormativity is bound to be groundbreaking scholarship. Sad to see it's Penguin Random House publishing this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2024 12:37 PM

This thread will end in tears and recriminations...

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2024 2:45 AM

According to the author of the book, the quote about Marsha in OP's post actually comes from David Carter, which I find hard to believe. Has he bowed to pressure to rewrite history?

(Also, I've heard Marsha discuss it on tape several times. She sounds pretty clear about the situation.)

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2024 3:02 AM

Is it true she wasn’t even really trans but just a big ol drag queen? Respect her. She threw the first stone lol.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2024 3:05 AM

I couldn’t understand any of that gobbledygook after the thread title.

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2024 3:15 AM

He was a big old drag queen who took drugs, liked to wear dresses, drink, and fuck men while in drag.

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2024 3:36 AM

I AM NOT RETARDED!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2024 3:49 AM

Thanks for the heads up OP.

I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2024 3:50 AM

That interview with the author is eye-rolling.

How do you become an expert on a street person? Just because you hung out at the piers a decade after she died?

And she was a drag queen - not trans.

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2024 4:06 AM

I’ll say this. It’s a testament to the transgender community that their biggest and most revered heroes are prostitutes, drug addicts, and petty criminals. That speaks volumes about the moral character of the average tranny. The blacks chose Martin Luther King, the gays chose Harvey Milk. The trannies chose a junkie sex worker who was in and out of jail.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2024 4:45 AM

On the seventh day, she rested.

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2024 4:47 AM

[quote]On the seventh day, she rested.

On a bench in a subway station, with a needle in her arm.

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2024 4:52 AM

The tenor of this thread is not how the world thinks. This is how assholes think. This is how self indulgent racists think. It's like some of you (or one of you with sock puppets trying to control the tone around here) are taking the chance to be the bully you couldn't be in high school. Get some fucking therapy and stop polluting the goddamn world.

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2024 6:03 AM

R12, what the fuck are you even defending? The narrative that Marsha P. Johnson was some sort of Stonewall pioneer has been debunked over and over and over. And guess who debunked it alongside historians and participants- Marsha herself.

Do you even know what the fuck it is you're arguing or do you just need to be outraged 24/7?

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2024 6:15 AM

The Stonewall theory being debunked on one thing, but heaping abuse and bigotry on her fucking memory is a racist, classist, ableist bullshit. You know what you're doing.

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2024 6:49 AM

R13 loves polluting this place by perpetuating the Teacunt drama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2024 6:51 AM

R14 I bet she died with a cock in her mouth. Probably a white one.

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2024 6:54 AM

[quote] The Stonewall theory being debunked on one thing, but heaping abuse and bigotry on her fucking memory is a racist, classist, ableist bullshit. You know what you're doing.

Please point out the bigotry, for one, in this thread. Oh, you can't, because there isn't any.

As far as abuse, Marsha would have likely agreed with every statement made about her in here. She *was* a transvestite prostitute who did drugs. Are we supposed to just pretend she was a prim schoolmarm because people like you can't handle the truth? If anything, you thinking there was something wrong with it says more about you than any of us or Marsha.

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2024 7:08 AM

[quote]If you know anything about the legendary activist Marsha P. Johnson, chances are you’ve been touched by the work of Tourmaline.

Oh, brother. A one-namer.

[quote]Widely recognized as our community’s preeminent Johnson scholar

I too consider myself a scholar of johnsons.

[quote]the real Marsha — the fullness of her — is readily available to understand and calibrate to.

What?

Marsha sounds like she would have been a laugh. This writer, though, sounds humorless and pompous.

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2024 7:35 AM

The r13s and r14s of DL are best ignored. They are delusional.

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2024 7:35 AM

To quote Aunt Bee, “Fiddle Faddle!!!!”

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2024 8:06 AM

Or we could believe Fred Sargeant who attended the riots and has written fairly extensively about them. Marsha wasn’t there and didn’t throw a single brick. This book is another sad attempt by the Trans lobby to highjack gay history and claim it as theirs.

Stormé DeLarverie was instrumental in starting the riots - a black lesbian. As she was put into the back of a police van she challenged the gay guys - when are you going to fight back? As often as the Trans lobby try to assimilate our history we simply reply with the facts.

The Stonewall Riots have nothing to do with the Trans Community.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2024 9:06 AM

I can’t wait to see the scene of Marsha dining at Tavern on the Green and reading them all to filth. 🙄

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2024 9:19 AM

Not missing much when you block that one, folks. 🚫

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2024 9:25 AM

R9 I want to like your comment but I can’t because that ho likely face prosecutorial discrimination. MLK was jailed a few times too. My annoyance with this altering of history is that most gay men are not trans or even drag queens and this ho wasn’t even trans. And she’s become the face of LGBT rights. It’s sickening. But I guess she does have a story that deserves to be told. 🤷‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2024 9:26 AM

More Teacunt shit disturbing from this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2024 9:40 AM

R25 There you go again. I did not make those threads nor this one.

MURIEL.

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2024 9:48 AM

R25 You gon stop lying on peoples names.

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2024 9:48 AM

If you can’t process that there are ignorant ass trolls coupled with people who might comment on said troll threads saying shit you disagree with, then you need to learn how to be a motherfucking adult.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2024 9:51 AM

Teacake, for someone who likes to bandy about the word "faggot" at people on here when you can't handle the truth, you really have no business in here deciding what is or isn't gay history. So take your incessant need for attention to another thread and get the fuck out of this one.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2024 11:00 AM

MPJ was a gay man who liked wearing feminine attire.

He later admitted the throwing the first brick story was nonsense.

Marcia & Sylvia Rivera were two drug-fucked hookers with mental issues, they couldn't organize breakfast, let alone a gay revolution.

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2024 11:30 AM

What you need to know, if you don’t already, is that this is all deliberate. Groups like GLAAD have actively worked to twist this narrative in order to help mainstream trans. If trans people were instrumental in Stonewall, then their movement is as valid as gay rights. If their movement is as valid as gay rights, then it deserves the same funding marriage equality received. If it gets the same funding, it gets the same public support and our once-gay groups get the same civil rights bona fides they got for achieving gay rights victories.

It’s all deliberate. People like Tourmaline (who used to go by another name, which I can’t remember) and Janet Mock and Raquel Willis and a host of other trans activists were trained and promoted by GLAAD to push these narratives. Nothing is coincidence.

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2024 11:41 AM

Transing dead gay men is no different to Mormons baptising Holocaust victims. Johnson wasn't one of you, you'd be mortified by the messy reality of who he was and the circles he ran in.

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2024 11:44 AM

It's exactly like the Mormons. And they trans all kinds of dead people, not just gay men. Joan of Arc, Kurt Cobain, etc.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2024 12:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!