Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

14-year-old boy kills self after falling in love with AI chatbot simulating Daenerys from Game of Thrones.

Dear parents,

Stop having children if you aren’t gonna start raising them instead of having the internet raise them. The end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2024 12:56 PM

What kind of "weak-ass Gay faggot mother-fucking teenagers" are these parents raising?

GO OUT AND PLAY, RIDE A BIKE!! TURN OFF THE INTERNET, TURN OFF UR CELL.

by Anonymousreply 1October 24, 2024 12:58 AM

R1 was born too late.

by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2024 12:59 AM

Born in 1961. You are correct, too late. But my 6 children didn't kill themselves over an AI chatbot?

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2024 1:24 AM

Pretty sure “faggots” wouldn’t kill themselves over a girl, faggot.

by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2024 1:30 AM

When you're 14 years old, who knows what you would do. It's a Tic Tok AI world now!!

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2024 1:41 AM

I’m 71 and a few months back I was very persuasively flirted with by a bot that claimed to be a standup comedian I liked. Drove down to Sacramento to see his show there and, because the bot had slipped up and I had realized what was happening, I showed him my phone in person and asked if he had written what we were looking at. He said no.

I know all too well how easy it was for that bot to hook that kid. It’s a damn shame.

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2024 1:51 AM

This is fucking sad. Poor boy.

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2024 1:54 AM

OP, stop attacking people for no reason. Like 99% of teens use the internet. Don't be an asshole

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2024 1:56 AM

Ugh, what a sad story. Can't summon snark for this one.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2024 1:57 AM

[quote] Like 99%

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2024 2:03 AM

R8 using the internet and living on the internet are two different things.

And a 14 year old that deep in GOT? There is no parenting happening

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2024 2:06 AM

Bullied? Horrible home life? Something more to this I would say. Family start a GFM or lawsuit?

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2024 2:12 AM

Phillywhore has 6 kids?! How the hell did that happen?

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2024 2:12 AM

Very sad ending. How did he access the gun? Having guns in the house greatly increases the risk of suicide.

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2024 2:23 AM

R6, do tell more. How does a bot start a conversation with you and then you continue to the point you are driving to meet it?

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2024 2:28 AM

Fuck off r1 you dumb trash

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2024 2:31 AM

R1 see r6, asshole. You will rot in hell.

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2024 2:32 AM

It began in what appeared to be, and probably was, a group chat on Facebook, R15. “He” invited me to pm him directly. He suggested that I use an app (I forget what its name was) to text with him, and I did, thinking it made sense that he’d be hesitant to share a phone number with just anybody, and then “he” proceeded to ask far-ranging good questions (“What quality do you wish everyone had?”) and agreed with everything I said.

I finally caught onto the game when I coyly said I had a ticket to a show in Sacramento tomorrow that was going to be really good and “he” responded in so leaden a way that I realized “he” didn’t know his own tour schedule.

The dumbest part may be that I don’t like his comedy very much now. I fully realize it was not his fault but I just — it’s not there now.

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2024 2:42 AM

God I hate The NY Times. There is no such thing as “mild Aspergers Syndrome.” Aspergers is by definition, the mild form of autism spectrum disorder. He had type one Autism Spectrum Disorder.

A couple of things: the important thing to look at is the age. 14. Adolescence is when mental health problems begin to manifest and neurodivergent people are more prone to them. I developed insomnia and obsessive compulsive disorder in adolescence. Other mental health problems include eating disorders, substance abuse, depression and anxiety disorders. So he was likely dealing with one or more of those.

The other thing I want to talk about is that something that’s kind of hard to explain so I’m using examples from film. Look at the work of both the Nolan Brothers and the Wachowski Sisters. The unifying theme in their work (Memento, Inception, Westworld for the Nolans; the Matrix films for the Wachowskis) is the questioning of the nature of reality. Autistic people question the nature of reality constantly. This is due to several factors, but the major factors at least from my experience are the presence of ADHD and hyperfocus. Hyperfocus is very hard to explain but it can have a dreamlike or opiatelike effect. When the movie Inception came out , many critics found the movie odd in that it was ostensibly about dreams but the dream sequences did not feel dreamlike (think of Cocteau’s dreamlike imagery.) That’s because Inception is about hyperfocus. The immersive dream worlds are hyperfocus. The multiple levels of dreaming represent ADHD.

So to me it seems like this unfortunate young man simply got lost in hyperfocus and could no longer distinguish fantasy from reality. Unfortunately society does not really train parents about dealing with these aspects of neurodivergence. The fact that the article says he had a”mild” case of Aspergers (which is no longer used as terminology) suggests among other things, there was a degree of shame in his neurodivergence which may have pushed him even further into his hyperfocus attachment, as well as make him more depressed about dealing with reality.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2024 3:18 AM

I’m glad I had an abortion!

by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2024 3:25 AM

[quote]The unifying theme in their work (Memento, Inception, Westworld for the Nolans; the Matrix films for the Wachowskis) is the questioning of the nature of reality.

Clearly, r19 is also "neurodivergent" and questioning the nature of reality because in THIS reality, that's not remotely the unifying theme of those movies if there could even be one articulated for them.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2024 3:31 AM

[quote]Born in 1961. You are correct, too late. But my 6 children didn't kill themselves over an AI chatbot?

Is it because you rule your family with an iron fist, Phillywhore?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 24, 2024 3:44 AM

Wow r21

You abject stupidity impresses me

Let me go through your posting history to see how stupid you are

by Anonymousreply 23October 24, 2024 3:55 AM

Figures. Self loathing autistic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24October 24, 2024 3:59 AM

Is that the "Heat Miser" in the Christmas show whose name I can't remember?

by Anonymousreply 25October 24, 2024 4:11 AM

i'm reminded of the fedex guy who shot up his workplace and wrote about wanting to be with one of the my little ponies in the afterlife. i think at this point there should be some kind of regulations or potential charges associated with neglecting to pay attention to your child's online behavior. it's more dangerous than letting your kids ride their bike around town or whatever it is that they don't do anymore.

by Anonymousreply 26October 24, 2024 4:28 AM

Same creepy poster here repeatedly

by Anonymousreply 27October 24, 2024 4:29 AM

Poor little guy. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 28October 24, 2024 4:53 AM

R26, how are parents supposed to do that? Their kids have private time and have their phones with them.

by Anonymousreply 29October 24, 2024 5:08 AM

Why did he kill himself? Did it stop talking to him?

by Anonymousreply 30October 24, 2024 5:31 AM

Poor lonely child. People used to let TV raise their kids, now it's unbridled internet access.

r13 Sperm donation maybe? Phillywhore can you confirm?

by Anonymousreply 31October 24, 2024 5:32 AM

I didn't know you had a half-dozen ass-babies, Phillywhore. ;)

by Anonymousreply 32October 24, 2024 5:48 AM

I can’t read the article. Paywall.

by Anonymousreply 33October 24, 2024 5:54 AM

[quote]I didn't know you had a half-dozen ass-babies, Phillywhore. ;)

Someone must have fed him after midnight 😱

by Anonymousreply 34October 24, 2024 7:18 AM

[quote]Phillywhore has 6 kids?! How the hell did that happen?

I'm not PW, but: A lot of older gay men tried to convince themselves (or the rest of the world) that they were straight. Sometimes this included marriage and children.

by Anonymousreply 35October 24, 2024 7:44 AM

Personally, I'd love to have a delusional fake online romance with a manipulative lovebot. Where do you find these AI gigolos? Do you have to pay them up front, or is it more a matter of charming the mark into giving up account numbers?

by Anonymousreply 36October 24, 2024 7:52 AM

R29 you can monitor as a parent. You can set rules as a parent. You can put parental controls as a parent.

Maybe stop giving smart phones to anyone under 16.

by Anonymousreply 37October 24, 2024 8:07 AM

14 is a baby.

I don't understand why people take their own life. That poor child. I was thinking about legal euthanasia yesterday and the catch-22 it presents. That to choose to have your life ended you must be of sound mind, but you can't have a sound mind if you want to die. He had a fabulous existence waiting for him and he didn't know it. X for you mother, X for you father.

by Anonymousreply 38October 24, 2024 11:54 AM

[Quote] R30 Why did he kill himself? Did it stop talking to him?

It asked him to "come home". Shudder.

by Anonymousreply 39October 24, 2024 12:19 PM

R35 not anyone born in 1961–ridiculous or a fool. Or married someone who had the kids.

by Anonymousreply 40October 24, 2024 12:38 PM

You cannot control every single thing your teen does online, but the best way to prevent a tragedy like this is to do enough to ensure your kid has enough ongoing real-world friendships and connections, and a good relationship with you. This boy killed himself in large part because he was so psychologically isolated and this AI Danerys-bot became his Everything.

Sadly some parents can’t, or won’t, or don’t have what it takes, to put in the time and effort and caring. That skinny ghostlike kid who killed all the schoolchildren in Sandy Hook elementary… he was a bedroom hermit with deep mental health issues and no treatment. the mom may have been similar or unable to deal with him and she just let it worsen and worsen.

by Anonymousreply 41October 24, 2024 12:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!