Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hispanics and Latinos...the same thing?

Is this one big umbrella or are Hispanics and Latinos different cultures? Do Cubans, Mexicans, Spaniards, Portuguese, Puerto Ricans, identify as either group?

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2024 7:19 AM

I honestly think that the only person qualified to answer this question is Sunny Hostin. If that Nicaraguan bitch Ana Navarro tries to answer first, ignore her - she knows not what she speaks about.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2024 11:43 PM

OP, if you’re legitimately interested in the answer, John Leguizamo does a great job of explaining it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 24, 2024 12:30 AM

No -- my Brazillian ex-gf would say, "I am not Hispanic -- I am Latina."

Apparently, it was because she spoke Portuguese and not Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 3October 24, 2024 12:48 AM

Please see this Venn diagram:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 24, 2024 1:11 AM

That Venn Diagram is even more confusing.

When do you call the group in the middle (burgundy group) Hispanic, and when do you call them Latino/a ?

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2024 1:20 AM

The terms are rooted in political movements of the 50s and 60s. In Texas, Hispanic is preferred by Latin Americans.

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2024 1:23 AM

r4, if Hispanic includes Spain, why doesn't Latino include Portugal?

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2024 2:17 AM

r7 Portugal isn't in Latin America

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2024 2:20 AM

r8, so you're suggesting Spain is in Hispania?

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2024 4:13 AM

Hispanic means Spanish speaking. Latino means from Latin America. So Spaniards are Hispanic but not Latino while Brazilians are Latino but not Hispanic.

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2024 4:16 AM

R5 It really depends on where you live. There is a preference for Hispanic on the east coast and Texas while in California people definitely prefer to be called Latino. I've actually had people in California tell me that Hispanic is pejorative. Latino is a far newer term. It wasn't popularized in the US until the 1990s/early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2024 4:31 AM

In my experience, people who try to be relevant use “Latino”, people who are slightly out of touch use “Hispanic”, and if they’re old or very ignorant I’ve heard the term “Spanish people” but they didn’t mean people from Spain.

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2024 4:43 AM

Latino for everyone but Spaniards is the easiest thing to remember, OP.

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2024 4:44 AM

[quote] In my experience, people who try to be relevant use “Latino”, people who are slightly out of touch use “Hispanic”, and if they’re old or very ignorant I’ve heard the term “Spanish people” but they didn’t mean people from Spain.

As a “Hispanic,” your dubious “experience” makes you both irrelevant and out of touch.

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2024 4:46 AM

R14 I don’t think so. I’m no expert but I went to public schools through high school and community college. The town went from 10 to 80 whatever you want to call it. Hispanic was only used in the old days or by outsiders.

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2024 5:33 AM

The reason Hispanic is antiquated is because it assumes that everyone with Latin American heritage speaks Spanish, which is no longer the case.

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2024 6:28 AM

[quote] When do you call the group in the middle (burgundy group) Hispanic

Both.

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2024 6:33 AM

Latinx!

by Anonymousreply 18October 24, 2024 6:33 AM

I use this rule..since Hispaniola no longer exists I go with Latin.

by Anonymousreply 19October 24, 2024 6:48 AM

[quote] since Hispaniola no longer exists

?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 24, 2024 7:06 AM

R12 is probably from the western US (likely California) and R14 is likely from Texas or the eastern US. I live both places. I try to use the preferred term wherever I am at the time. Latinx is preferred by only a small number of people and they're usually, but not always, white.

by Anonymousreply 21October 24, 2024 7:19 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!