Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Brussels?

I’ll be spending a few days there in March. Impressions? Must sees?

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2024 12:21 PM

Very good restaurants. Very civilized city.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2024 10:47 PM

I was pleasantly surprised. We easily/quickly knocked out the touristy sites and had some great meals as well. Easy to hop on the train to visit Bruges and Antwerp as well.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2024 10:50 PM

In Brussels all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2024 10:51 PM

Beautiful city. The first place I visited was the Mannequin Pis statue. I hung out around the Gare Centraale (sp?) area. Even the most humble food truck will turn out excellent frites too. The first bar I went into to use the bathroom was a gay bar. I took me twenty minutes to realize that. I did strike up a great conversation with the bartender and another customer. This was twenty years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2024 11:24 PM

Don’t skip the sprouts.

by Anonymousreply 5October 24, 2024 1:43 AM

It's an absolute shithole. No European ever visits Brussels unless they have to for work. I genuinely don't know why anyone would go there.

If the greatest thing about a city is some frites from a van or a pissing statue, go elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2024 1:49 AM

20 yrs old -landed in Brussels -pomme frites with mayo in a paper cone - didn’t really know about true French Fries before that….fell in love …( 60 yrs ago)

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2024 1:50 AM

Sprouts!

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2024 2:00 AM

That boy peeing in the fountain.

by Anonymousreply 9October 24, 2024 2:08 AM

R7 Such valuable insight. Have you thought of writing a book?

by Anonymousreply 10October 24, 2024 2:11 AM

Lace!

Order a custom fitted lace caftan!

by Anonymousreply 11October 24, 2024 2:16 AM

Honestly, pretty boring. The Mannekin Pis is tiny and disappointing (cf, Little Mermaid). The food can be great. The Atomium is just a curiosity. The Grande Place is nice, especially when it’s filled with stalls where they sell stuff. Did I miss anything touristy? I don’t think so.

Bruges is more picturesque and lovely to walk around in. Antwerp is more interesting socioculturally.

by Anonymousreply 12October 24, 2024 2:25 AM

I am there a few times a year for work. It’s fun.

by Anonymousreply 13October 24, 2024 2:34 AM

Have you visited Nysa Ancient Town?

by Anonymousreply 14October 24, 2024 6:36 AM

Have some frites, moules in white wine, and chocolates, then head to Bruges and Ghent, a day trip each if you have time.

by Anonymousreply 15October 24, 2024 7:07 AM

I was there during the Christmas Market which was great as well. The way they had the food display laid out skeeved me out a bit, but it all was so beautiful. So there’s more to it than a pissing statue and frites, though I love those things too. And the Old World architecture was also beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 16October 24, 2024 12:17 PM

Had some delightful memories there. The Grande Place is wonderful

by Anonymousreply 17October 24, 2024 12:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!