Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Gen. John Kelly comes out swinging against "fascist" Trump

John Kelly, a former four-star Marine general and former chief of staff to former President Donald Trump, hammered his old boss in a stunningly public fashion on Tuesday -- just two weeks before Election Day.

Kelly, who had previously refrained from discussing his time in the White House so openly, said in expansive interviews with The New York Times that Trump's discussion of using the military against the "enemy within" -- who, in Trump's words included Democratic foes -- pushed him to come forward.

"And I think this issue of using the military on -- to go after -- American citizens is one of those things I think is a very, very bad thing -- even to say it for political purposes to get elected -- I think it's a very, very bad thing, let alone actually doing it," Kelly said.

The former general held nothing back, arguing that Trump could fit the bill of a "fascist."

"Well, looking at the definition of fascism: It's a far-right authoritarian, ultranationalist political ideology and movement characterized by a dictatorial leader, centralized autocracy, militarism, forcible suppression of opposition, belief in a natural social hierarchy," he told The Times.

"So, certainly, in my experience, those are the kinds of things that he thinks would work better in terms of running America," he added.

Kelly went on to explain that Trump had said he wanted generals like those that Adolf Hitler had, a comment that Kelly found shocking and told the former president not to repeat.

The remarks from Kelly, while astounding coming from a veteran who attained such a high ranking in uniform, is just the latest to come from a former senior official in Trump's administration.

Mark Milley, a retired Army general and former chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under Trump, told journalist Bob Woodward that Trump is a "fascist to the core."

"He is the most dangerous person ever. I had suspicions when I talked to you about his mental decline and so forth, but now I realize he's a total fascist. He is now the most dangerous person to this country," he said.

Mark Esper, Trump's former defense secretary, said earlier this month that he feared Trump would use the military against his domestic critics and that he would likely have fewer guardrails in a hypothetical second term.

"My sense is his inclination is to use the military in these situations whereas my view is that's a bad role for the military. It should only be law enforcement taking those actions," Esper said on CNN.

"I think President Trump has learned, the key is getting people around you who will do your bidding, who will not push back, who will implement what you want to do. And I think he's talked about that, his acolytes have talked about that, and I think loyalty will be the first litmus test," he added.

Trump throughout his tenure has also praised authoritarians, including boasting of Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese leader Xi Jinping's intelligence, calling North Korean strongman Kim Jong Un "tough" and heaping praise on Hungarian leader Viktor Orban.

Trump's campaign has hit back at the former officials, including going after Kelly on Tuesday.

"John Kelly has totally beclowned himself with these debunked stories he has fabricated because he failed to serve his President well while working as Chief of Staff and currently suffers from a debilitating case of Trump Derangement Syndrome," spokesperson Steven Cheung said in a statement.

Harris' campaign is anticipated to seize on the latest comments.

"The people who know him best are telling us Trump is unhinged and pursuing unchecked power that would put us all at risk. We should all listen," Harris campaign spokesperson Ian Sams said in a statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2024 7:37 PM

Ana Navarro talking about the strength and impact of General Kelly's statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2024 3:05 PM

[quote] Mark Esper, Trump's former defense secretary, said earlier this month that he feared Trump would use the military against his domestic critics and that he would likely have fewer guardrails in a hypothetical second term.

[quote] "I think President Trump has learned, the key is getting people around you who will do your bidding, who will not push back, who will implement what you want to do. And I think he's talked about that, his acolytes have talked about that, and I think loyalty will be the first litmus test," he added.

I've been saying this for a long time.

2017-2021 was just a "test run."

Now that Trump knows he can shit on the Constitution, and pretty much do anything he wants as President - because Congress and the Supreme Court have ALLOWED HIM to do so - it's going to be much worse in a second Trump administration.

He will come charging in like a "bull in a china shop," now that he knows what kind of power he holds as President.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2024 3:20 PM

Yeah, whatever bitch. You gleefully fired Rex Tillerson by phone while he was ill, then bragged about how Tillerson was on the toilet with diarrhea when you called.

You have kept Obama on your weird hate list because when your son was killed POTUS didn't give you more attention than the other gold star parents.

Worse of all you caustically called Rep. Frederica Wilson and a grieving young Black woman "empty barrels" when they rightfully aired Trump out on the ugly way he treated them on the way to the young lady's Special Forces husband's funeral. That woman was a newly-minted Gold Star wife and you treated her worse than how you claimed Obama treated you. Fucking racist.

And you don't get a cookie for speaking up now when you could have spoken up years ago and torpedoed Trump's political career.

by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2024 3:35 PM

And yet 80 million voting age adult American citizens think Trump is God's chosen person to lead America to "greatness."

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2024 3:40 PM

Probably would. But I've always had a thing for well built Irishmen with strong noses.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2024 3:48 PM

You have some good points, R3.

But none of that changes the fact that Gen. Kelly was Trump's Chief of Staff, and worked in close proximity with him day and night.

The bottom line is that he knows Trump personally, and everything he said is true.

And none of what you wrote will change that.

Trump is a demon from hell.

by Anonymousreply 6October 23, 2024 3:50 PM

Of course Trump is trying to play this down by claiming that Kelly was terrible and blah blah blah.

But "I only hire the best people!"

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2024 3:50 PM

Better late than never...

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2024 3:50 PM

[quote] "John Kelly has totally beclowned himself with these debunked stories he has fabricated because he failed to serve his President well while working as Chief of Staff and currently suffers from a debilitating case of Trump Derangement Syndrome," spokesperson Steven Cheung said in a statement.

If I ever met this little self-loathing, oriental lapdog for Trump, I swear I would punch him in the face so hard and knock him the fuck out.

I'm sure he has NEVER served in the military, or anywhere else for that matter.

Disgusting fat, ugly cunt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2024 3:53 PM

[quote] Of course Trump is trying to play this down by claiming that Kelly was terrible and blah blah blah. But "I only hire the best people!"

Trump should take ownership of having hired a lot of terrible people. It’s his fault that his administration was so full of bad people.

by Anonymousreply 10October 23, 2024 3:54 PM

We have to remember that Trump asked a mob to hold Congress hostage until they declared him president, and the mob tried it as Trump watched approvingly.

And tens of millions of Americans want him in the White House anyway.

Does anyone really think this comment from Kelly is some kind of devastating move? Like that’s so much worse than a literal attempt to overthrow the government? We have to face facts.

by Anonymousreply 11October 23, 2024 3:59 PM

"Nazi" is sticky, R11.

by Anonymousreply 12October 23, 2024 4:00 PM

Nazi is so overused it’s virtually meaningless, r12.

by Anonymousreply 13October 23, 2024 4:03 PM

Huyen "Steven" Cheung is an American political advisor serving as former President Donald Trump's campaign spokesman in the 2024 United States presidential election. He previously worked in Trump's 2016 and 2020 campaigns. He also worked in communications for the sports organization Ultimate Fighting Championship based in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Cheung was born in Sacramento, California, to Chinese parents who had immigrated to the U.S., and was raised in Sacramento. He was a high school football player. He attended California State University, Sacramento, majoring in computer science and political science.

As a college student in 2003, Cheung became an intern in then-Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's communications and speechwriting office in California. He moved to Washington, D.C. in 2008 to work on John McCain's presidential campaign. Cheung has served on the campaigns of Steve Poizner for California governor, Sharron Angle for U.S. Senate, and Texas Lt. Governor David Dewhurst for U.S. Senate.

In 2013, Cheung transitioned into a career with the Ultimate Fighting Championship in Las Vegas, Nevada, as "a director of communications for public affairs at the UFC". He was involved in the UFC practice of banning reporters critical of the organization from live events.

Before then-candidate Donald Trump was nominated as the Republican presidential nominee at the Republican National Convention in 2016, Cheung left his job at the UFC and joined the Trump campaign's communications and press team as Director of Rapid Response.

Cheung was involved in a statement disavowing support from the Ku Klux Klan and a white supremacist newspaper, who endorsed Trump's campaign. He said, "Mr. Trump and the campaign denounces hate in any form. This publication is repulsive and their views do not represent the tens of millions of Americans who are uniting behind our campaign."

After Trump's victory over Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton, Cheung was named as an advisor to the presidential transition team. According to media reports, he was at one point considered for the role of White House Press Secretary. That job ultimately went to Sean Spicer.

On June 11, 2018, Politico reported Cheung left the White House, amid a contentious period with Chief of Staff John F. Kelly making changes to Trump's White House communications staff. Amid leaks and infighting, Kelly overhauled the communications team, which led to additional departures.

Politico reported that President Trump's 2020 re-election campaign retained the services of the firm Solgence, which is owned and operated by Cheung.

After the 2020 US presidential election, in which Trump was defeated by Joe Biden, Cheung was involved in the Trump campaign's efforts to overturn the election.

Cheung was named the spokesman of the Trump 2024 presidential campaign. After Trump was criticized in October 2023 for his statement that undocumented immigrants were "poisoning the blood of our country," echoing language of white supremacists and Adolf Hitler, Cheung responded:

That's a normal phrase that is used in everyday life – in books, television, movies, and in news articles. For anyone to think that is racist or xenophobic is living in an alternate reality consumed with non-sensical outrage.

After Trump was criticized in November 2023 for using language of fascist dictators by referring to his political opponents as "vermin", Cheung said:

Those who try to make that ridiculous assertion are clearly snowflakes grasping for anything because they are suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome and their sad, miserable existence will be crushed when President Trump returns to the White House.

Cheung was a senior advisor on the 2022 U.S. Senate campaign of former Missouri Governor Eric Greitens, who resigned amid allegations of sexual assault and campaign finance impropriety.

Axios reported that Cheung joined as senior advisor to reality star Caitlyn Jenner's unsuccessful gubernatorial campaign in California during the 2021 recall election.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 23, 2024 4:09 PM

Media outlets reported in 2022 that Cheung began advising cryptocurrency entrepreneur and philanthropist Brock Pierce, a former child star linked to Jeffrey Epstein and the DEN collapse & financial & sex scandal.

On August 27, 2024, an incident occurred at Arlington National Cemetery in which two Trump staffers, Justin Caporale and Michel Picard, shoved a cemetery employee who was trying to stop the Trump team from photographing and filming a campaign promotion in a heavily restricted area of the cemetery known as Section 60, a burial site that is primarily reserved for veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. A federal law prohibits the use of U.S. military facilities, cemeteries in particular, for political campaigns.

Cheung baselessly asserted the woman was "suffering from a mental health episode," which military officials said was false. He alleged the cemetery employee "initiated physical contact that was unwarranted and unnecessary" and said the campaign would release video to support its account, which it never did.

The cemetery employee filed an incident report with military officials, but declined to press charges, fearing retribution from Trump supporters. Cheung characterized that concern as "ridiculous and sounds like someone who has Trump Derangement Syndrome".

by Anonymousreply 15October 23, 2024 4:11 PM

ew

by Anonymousreply 16October 23, 2024 4:11 PM

Can you just imagine this ugly creature as the future White House Press Secretary?

There's no way anyone could look at this hideous monster, every single day.

Gross!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 23, 2024 4:17 PM

Cheung looks like that British actor in “3 Body Problem.”

by Anonymousreply 18October 23, 2024 4:17 PM

His face is like one of those “queen or old lady” illusions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 23, 2024 4:36 PM

I can only imagine what racist shit Trump says about this Cheung creature behind his back.

by Anonymousreply 20October 23, 2024 4:45 PM

Yes better late than never but it’s probably too late.

by Anonymousreply 21October 23, 2024 4:52 PM

Daaaaaaammmn, R14, I was NOT expecting that. That face! That head!

If he had a snout ring, he could pass for my late grandma's hog, Sister Judah.

by Anonymousreply 22October 23, 2024 5:04 PM

Yeah, ok, R6.

MY point stands; Kelly is an awful, awful person who should've come out with this long ago, but is being fellated by one and all for his "bravery." Milley, McChristal, and Esper deserve kudos for coming out way earlier, when it counted.

by Anonymousreply 23October 23, 2024 5:09 PM

NOW a warning!?...

by Anonymousreply 24October 23, 2024 5:18 PM

Do you wonder if current generals across the different branches of the military are quietly and as discreetly as possible conferring about what to to when Trump tries to issue orders to detain or attack U.S. civilians?

by Anonymousreply 25October 23, 2024 6:19 PM

I wouldn't be too surprised, R25.

But make no mistake just as Hitler had diehard-loyal generals even at the end, there is likely a large hard kernel of Trump loyalists in the upper echelon of the US military.

by Anonymousreply 26October 23, 2024 7:18 PM

A military coup or large-scale insubordination would be something to really worry about.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2024 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!