Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Woman of the Hour" on Netflix, based on The Dating Game serial killer

Hoo boy. This really wasn't very good. Anna Kendrick is fine as star and director and the guy who plays Rodney Alcala, the Dating Game contestant who turned out to be a serial killer, is excellent.

But the script is bad — a LOT of 21st-century feminism uncomfortably layered over the 1970s swingers' sensibility of The Dating Game. (Very mild spoiler: Anna's character throws away the prewritten smutty questions during a commercial break and ad-libs questions to show these men as dumb misogynists, which of course didn't happen in real life.)

The truth is that the real-life character never saw the killer again because she told the producers he was creepy and forfeited the date. That also doesn't happen in this.

And I have no idea what the title means vis-a-vis the actual movie.

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2024 1:53 AM

One of those cases where the real life people looked better than the actors portraying them.

by Anonymousreply 1October 23, 2024 12:17 AM

I usually can’t abide Anna Kendrick, but this was a good movie. She did a good job directing it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 23, 2024 1:49 AM

R2 I agree. Can't stand Kendrick's perkiness but she does a goof job in the film and I was surprised at how well the film was directed. The only connection to Bundy that I got was the Dating Game. Otherwise it was just another serial killer movie. The Bundy movie with Zac Efron was truer to details...plus we got to see Zac's butt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 23, 2024 2:41 AM

R3 Of course, I meant GOOD JOB not goof job!

by Anonymousreply 4October 23, 2024 11:37 PM

Kendrick is just synonymous in my mind, with the character she played around 2008-ish with Clooney where they fly around and fire people. I just don’t like her and don’t want to see anything she’s in. She’s always the same character.

by Anonymousreply 5October 23, 2024 11:59 PM

I guess this is the only movie I've seen her in (not kidding), but I liked it and her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 24, 2024 12:29 AM

Thanks, OP -- I thought it was just me. I got to about the 20 minute mark and abandoned it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 24, 2024 12:46 AM

She's a great character actress, but she's too unusual looking to be the lead.

by Anonymousreply 8October 24, 2024 1:53 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!