Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What if Joe Biden was the better candidate all along?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2024 2:57 PM

He is too old. The Hill is a right wing rag. Move it along toots.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2024 9:21 PM

I already said that this was going to start and OP is starting this shit already.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2024 9:27 PM

Let's not play this game.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2024 9:30 PM

[Quote] What if Joe Biden was the better candidate all along?

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2024 9:31 PM

Yes, R3, they’ll be plenty of time for recrimination post-November 5th.

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2024 9:32 PM

By the way, for a little context, I remember the author of this opinion piece, Harlan Ullman, writing a few weeks before the Ukraine War began that Russia invading Ukraine would be crazy and they’d never do it — it was all a bluff.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2024 9:34 PM

Are you posting from 2016 OP? Because I know you aren’t posting from 2024 if you have a brain in your head.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2024 9:49 PM

[quote]What if Joe Biden was the better candidate all along?

Then he should have proven that at the debate in June. And he failed to do that. He failed miserably.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2024 9:53 PM

The polling has been clear that Biden was headed to defeat but Harris has a chance. She also engenders a lot more enthusiasm. She’s without question the better choice for the Democrats between the two.

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2024 9:54 PM

Nope. I don't think so, OP.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2024 9:54 PM

It's too late for all that.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2024 10:06 PM

Sexist bullshit. Fuck you Harlan.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2024 10:12 PM

He would not be able to campaign. Harris did 3 states yesterday. She will visit 6 states this week, doing multiple events every day. Biden would be able to do 2 per week at most. They would not be well attended unless he shared the bill with Obama/Clinton. Meanwhile Trump would be out there flooding the media with shit, winning every news cycle.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2024 10:14 PM

What Michelle Obama had won by a landslide in 2016 and we were waiting for her VP Oprah to sweep the election?

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2024 10:16 PM

Notwithstanding Obama, this is still a racist country. Misogynist, too. If Harris loses, on the heels of Hillary’s defeat, it’s not a no-brainer to think that Biden, a white man who, alone, had the secret sauce to win over enough non-college educated white Rust Belt voters, could have done it again.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2024 10:16 PM

Seriously? "We're gonna beat Medicare?" Referring to Kamala as "Vice-President Trump"? Referring to Zelensky as "President Putin"?

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2024 10:20 PM

R13, since we’re presupposing that Harris has lost for purposes of this thread, of what moment was it that she was able to campaign more exhaustively than Biden could have?

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2024 10:22 PM

Seriously, r17?

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2024 10:25 PM

[quote] Seriously? "We're gonna beat Medicare?" Referring to Kamala as "Vice-President Trump"? Referring to Zelensky as "President Putin"?

It made Biden more relatable to the voters living in memory care facilities, which Harris wouldn’t be able to do as well.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2024 10:28 PM

I’m not saying definitively that Biden would’ve won in this counterfactual, R18, but he sure would’ve had some advantages, perhaps dispositive, over Harris. I don’t know where you live, but I live in a swing state, & I’m besieged with ads about how liberal Harris is, dating back to her DA days. The campaign reminds me much of the successful campaign against Dukakis. Biden would not have been as vulnerable to this line of attack.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2024 10:33 PM

So? What is the point of that now?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2024 10:39 PM

How does one campaign exhaustively?

by Anonymousreply 22October 22, 2024 10:45 PM

Yes!! Irling Haaland is Team Father Sir.

⚽️

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2024 10:47 PM

R8 Furthermore even if he wanted to redeem himself afterwards, the week following the debate he was gaffing like crazy AND looking crazy in the face. He called Zelensky the President of Russian. It was non stop gaffes and nonsensical rhythm of speech. Enuff with this bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2024 10:48 PM

Any truth to the claims of some lip readers that Biden told Obama at the Ethel Kennedy memorial service that his numbers would be better than Harris? Let's not forget that Biden & his political team always thought he'd do better against Trump than she would.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2024 10:58 PM

If Biden would be doing so much better why did her poll numbers go down after she stated she would not have done anything different from his administration.

EXACTLY.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2024 11:27 PM

One critical advantage Biden would have is that he wouldn't be the undefined candidate. Being the undefined candidate allows the opposition to define you in the most negative way.

by Anonymousreply 27October 23, 2024 12:53 AM

One critical advantage Biden has is that he is a white straight man. I doubt Elon Musk would come up to support Trump avidly if Biden was still the candidate.

by Anonymousreply 28October 23, 2024 8:13 AM

R28 Isn't Elon's motivation (supposedly) that Biden didn't invite him to some WH gathering about electronic vehicles? Seems he'd be an avid supporter and wantonly cruel about Biden's physical decline.

by Anonymousreply 29October 23, 2024 9:42 AM

But he wasn't a better candidate, was he? Even if he'd won, he's clearly not up to four more years of the Presidency, whereas Harris has surprised everyone with just how suitable she is.

If people vote for Trump, it's because they want to vote for a racist fascist. Neither Biden nor Harris can give them that.

by Anonymousreply 30October 23, 2024 1:58 PM

[quote] Remember: voters are more likely to see Harris 2024 as too liberal vs. Biden 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 23, 2024 2:15 PM

What absolute horseshit.

Harris’ numbers vs Trump are still way better than Biden’s on his best day. She raised a fucking BILLION dollars in two and a half months!! Biden was failing there. She is filling large venues packed with enthusiastic supporters. Biden was absolutely failing there. She has generated a surge in new D voter registration since July 21, again, prior to that, Biden was not. And apples to apples, their debate performances against Trump speak for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 32October 23, 2024 2:20 PM

R29 Elon was pissed about not getting an invite to a WH meeting on vehicular tailpipe emissions. Bret Baier mentioned it in an interview with Secretary Pete who had to remind Baier that Musk makes Teslas that don’t have tailpipes.

by Anonymousreply 33October 23, 2024 2:20 PM

What stands out for me are the huge lies people on DL and elsewhere told about Biden appearing mentally sound, when there was already abundant evidence to the contrary just from his public appearances. The hyper-partisans will say anything that furthers their political goals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 23, 2024 2:45 PM

[quote] At a Chevy Chase fundraiser in June 2023, Bill Reichblum tells Woodward of Biden: “He never completed a sentence….He told the same story three times in exactly the same way and it meandered so much…Frankly, my impression was there were times…it was as though we didn’t exist. He was just rambling and talking as to what came into his head.”

Somehow the country is surviving with a president in this condition. I think we can also survive other difficulties in the future.

by Anonymousreply 35October 23, 2024 2:55 PM

What r1 said

by Anonymousreply 36October 23, 2024 2:57 PM

Two weeks to the election, OP. Be here now.

by Anonymousreply 37October 23, 2024 2:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!