Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre of Blood (1973)

Halloween is among us, so let's have our annual discussion of a DL fav, Theatre of Blood.

Edward Lionheart was, in his mind, one of the great Shakespearean actors to grace the London stage. The critics, however, strongly disagree. After losing out of a Lifetime Achievement Award, Lionheart throws himself out of a penthouse window. Years later, his rivals start disappearing one by one...

Vincent Price leads a who's who of the London stage; Diana Rigg, Ian Hendry, Robert Morley, Jack Hawkins, Coral Browne, Dennis Price, Harry Andrews, Robert Coote, Arthur Lowe, Milo O'Shea, Eric Sykes, Joan Hickson, Diana Dors, Renee Asherson, Madeline Smith, and Sir Michael Hordern.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2024 9:31 PM

I don't think I've ever watched this. If I can find it I'll definitely watch it tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2024 6:17 PM

It made me fear clowns, hobos, hobo clowns, but not Dianna Rig. A leather catsuit forgives all sins.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2024 6:20 PM

R1 I think it is on Amazon Prime!

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2024 6:29 PM

I've always considered this more of a dark comedy than a horror movie. It's campy and hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2024 6:40 PM

I think there was a thread within the last year about this.

My favorite scene was when Robert Morley was forced to eat his pet poodle a la Titus Andronicus!

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2024 6:45 PM

This one was a lot of fun.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2024 6:47 PM

This is my guilty-est pleasure of all my guilty pleasure films. So much scenery chewing goes on I'm surprised most of the cast didn't succumb to plywood poisoning, with the lion's share of said scenery chewing laid at the feet of Mr. Price(who should've received an Oscar or BAFTA Lifetime Achievement award for all his consumption)

Added bonus: it has as part of the cast the actress, Coral Browne( the future Mrs. P, doncha' know) I highly recommend this flick to all.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2024 7:07 PM

Free on Tubi and Pluto.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2024 7:17 PM

Who was your favorite critic?

Sir Michael Hordern? Jack Hawkins? Robert Morley? Dennis Price? Arthur Lowe? Coral Browne? Robert Coote? Harry Andrews? Ian Hendry?

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2024 8:53 PM

Thanks R3, I have that!

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2024 9:31 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!