Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you have a wikipedia page?

I was surprised when a swarmy consultant guy who gave a presentation at our work had a wiki page.

Then I found out you can pay someone to make them for you (helpful apparently because, to get it published, not only does it have to adhere to certain rules but the writer has to already have made a number of edits to various wiki pages).

I might actually pay for one for myself. I've had a number of accomplishments that have an online trail to cite. Is $600 worth paying for a write up and publication?

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2024 4:59 PM

You can’t pay someone, OP. I mean, you can, but the Wiki community will vote on if it meets notability guidelines. They’re very strict. The page will automatically be deleted if it doesn’t. You have to meet certain requirements. They will also trace IPs to people who start their own pages or if a person has paid someone - which I’ve never heard of before.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2024 3:38 PM

Hell no and if some bastard makes one I'll hunt the fucker down. No way in hell do I want a wikipedia page about myself up on the interwebs

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2024 3:43 PM

OP, all I can say is that if big piles of nothing like the creature linked below can have a Wikipedia page, then anyone can. Literally ANYONE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2024 3:59 PM

If Tanner from Sean Cody has a Wikipedia page (albeit Spanish Wikipedia), it stands to reason that you are equally deserving of such recognition, OP. Your numerous accomplishments and contributions to the world warrant similar acknowledgement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2024 4:12 PM

Fifteen or so years ago, I created a few Wikipedia pages for some super minor “celebrities”. I haven’t updated them since then. It’s funny, I just checked and both pages are still there.

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2024 5:15 PM

I don’t, but I had a narcissistic college professor who created one for himself and claimed that he invented an entire genre of art and I’m pretty sure that wasn’t true.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2024 8:49 PM

Years ago, in the late 80's when I was in college (likely Wiki was just starting), an English professor who was so full of himself had one. I was so impressed.

In retrospect, I'm sure he created it.

by Anonymousreply 7October 23, 2024 3:46 PM

I'm cited on a few but don't have one of my own and hope it stays that way. The pages of several friends, mostly physicians and STEM types, lacked much in the way of biographical details until after they died (because they didn't like talking about anything but work).

by Anonymousreply 8October 23, 2024 4:15 PM

AI will make wikipedia obsolete. Just type in a name and a full biography will show up

by Anonymousreply 9October 23, 2024 4:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!