Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Middle Aged Elder Gays: Question

Was The Golden Girls something you watched when it was on air, or was it something you gradually watched/discovered since its release as you became more immersed in the culture?

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2024 10:17 PM

Never got into it and not ashamed to say it.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2024 1:08 PM

I’m 61, and I watched it whenever possible. I worked evenings in the 80s. A good friend once left my party, just to watch show on a Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2024 1:23 PM

I had better things to do in my twenties on Saturday nights than watch an unfunny sitcom about 4 old women.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2024 1:33 PM

We used it as background noise getting ready to go out on a Saturday night.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2024 1:53 PM

Caught a couple episodes as an 80s teen. Watched it end of day as a comfort thing in my 20s

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2024 2:51 PM

Only once when male friends took me to Uncle Charlie’s (?) and it was playing there.

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2024 4:59 PM

Yes-watched before going out Saturday nights.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2024 5:21 PM

Never seen a minute.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2024 5:22 PM

I was ten years old when it first premiered, My grandmother didn't know why I liked watching those "old whores"

by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2024 5:37 PM

Op get therapy

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2024 6:31 PM

I’ve never watched it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2024 6:49 PM

R11, turn in your gay card.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2024 8:00 PM

I used to watch reruns on lifetime after school. It didn’t occur to me until I was in my teens that the show was long over.

I’m 36.

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2024 8:11 PM

I watched it with German dubbing. It was awful. Especially the Rose jokes did not translate well. Still it was huge in the Schwulenszene.

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2024 8:30 PM

It was a high point of the television week when new episodes aired (although it could be disappointing to find out that it would be a clip episode).

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2024 8:36 PM

I was in elementary school when the Golden Girls were originally on and I watched it from the beginning. It was one of the earliest signs I was going to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2024 10:14 PM

I was a child in the 80s. I saw some of the episodes when they were brand new when my mom watched it. I think it aired on Friday nights if I remember correctly. And then, of course I watched them in reruns all the time in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2024 10:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!