Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Harris and Cheney on the campaign trail

I've been seeing clips of the Harris / Cheney campaign which hit three red states today. As much as I don't agree with Cheney (on just about anything) I'm so happy and impressed with her sticking by Harris' side and making the case for Harris as President. Never thought I'd see these days.

You can tell Harris and genuinely appreciative and fond of Liz Cheney. Cheney knows this is NOT her campaign, so she sits quietly a few feet away from Kamala. But when she is asked a question by a conference host, or when it's time for her to speak on behalf of Harris, she says what's needed to be said. She's really selling Harris to 'traditional Republicans' who would never vote for Trump (but would probably not vote for Harris either - until they hear Cheney). Bravo to both women !

(Yes, I know she's probably worked out a deal with Kamala to secure a space in her administration - and I don't mind those two doing this at all. I trust Kamala will give her a position which uses her talents best.)

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2024 2:20 PM

Actually, I don't believe she's doing it for a position. I think it's genuinely for the country.

by Anonymousreply 1October 22, 2024 2:55 AM

R1 I think it's for the country as well, no doubt. I was just saying she probably worked out a deal with Harris, as everyone has commented in the past - but I do believe it's in her core for the love of the country.

Everyone is playing these clips and just about everyone (except the pro-Trump commentators) have praised Cheney for this move. The ones who are not praising her are saying 'she can't be trusted' (oh no! lol).

by Anonymousreply 2October 22, 2024 11:48 AM

Liz seems to have morphed into one of the actual socially moderate/economically conservative republican that so many claim to be. She’s made some good comments about abortion rights and acknowledged that she’d been wrong in her gay rights oppositions, which I truly believe are genuine.

I don’t mind her having a position in a Harris administration. I just don’t want her near economic policy. But a high profile ambassadorial role or something else in the State Depadtment, sure.

by Anonymousreply 3October 22, 2024 12:00 PM

[quote]Liz seems to have morphed into one of the actual socially moderate/economically conservative republican that so many claim to be.

I’m not so sure that she’s socially moderate, but I think she understands that public opinion has shifted on many issues and she’s evolved on some of them.

And this year, electing Harris is the only option for her in terms of saving the Constitution. So if that means she has to accept some moderate or even liberal positions for now, she’s probably fine with it.

by Anonymousreply 4October 22, 2024 12:12 PM

[quote]I’m not so sure that she’s socially moderate, but I think she understands that public opinion has shifted on many issues and she’s evolved on some of them.

Perhaps, but I'd also say that I do think she legitimately seems to regret the way her stances on gay rights damaged her relationship with her sister.

by Anonymousreply 5October 22, 2024 12:22 PM

She voted with Trump 93 percent of the time. Some of you are very naive.

And whats with this need a lot of democrats have of wanting Republicans to love them?

by Anonymousreply 6October 22, 2024 12:23 PM

[quote]And whats with this need a lot of democrats have of wanting Republicans to love them?

I don't need Republicans to love me. I do need Republicans to realize that being an American is ultimately more important than being a Republican, and Liz Cheney really seems to get that.

She has a crappy voting record. I'm not going to deny that. But she's been doing the right thing for a few years now, at great personal cost. No matter what I think of her policies, that shows a great deal of courage that the vast majority of her fellow Republicans lack.

I guarantee you there were enough Senators at either of Trump's impeachment who would felt that he should have been convicted, but none of them had the balls to stand up to the cult. She did. I appreciate that strength of character.

by Anonymousreply 7October 22, 2024 12:29 PM

Trump put all of the racism, misogyny and homophobia of the Republican Party out on full, butt naked display. The Republicans despise him for that, because they used to hate in a classier manner. Plus Cheeto has never really been one of “them”, so it’s easier to distance themselves from him than it would be a more established, Republican politician. This is not about what’s good for the country. This is about the rehabilitation of the Republicans and “see we’re not all hateful fascists” even though the last forty years disputes that greatly. And her father was one of the worst, BTW.

R7 She really “gets it” but voted 93 percent of the time WITH Trump when he was in office.

Stop it.

by Anonymousreply 8October 22, 2024 12:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 22, 2024 12:44 PM

I prefer Republicans who believe government should simply spend less and tax less. That's always seemed sensible, but not always appropriate. But has any well-known Republican politician stuck to that mission in ~40 years? It seems the most popular Republicans are always the loudest most outrageously hateful people, either advocating in defense of bigotry or advocating in favor of more violence in the world, and the sensible ones are either voted out or they sell their souls to keep their seats and support a piece of trash like Trump, even after January 6th. Liz Cheney isn't a saint but she at least seems sensible and old-fashioned enough to realize that politics should be a negotiation, not a war.

by Anonymousreply 10October 22, 2024 12:54 PM

[quote]She voted with Trump 93 percent of the time.

She should be asking herself why she bothered. Her excellent Trump-voting record got her kicked out of office by her constituents in Wyoming.

by Anonymousreply 11October 22, 2024 1:09 PM

[quote]R7: I do need Republicans to realize that being an American is ultimately more important than being a Republican, and Liz Cheney really seems to get that.

This.

by Anonymousreply 12October 22, 2024 1:23 PM

What specific policies has Liz changed her mind on? What democratic proposals is she willing to back?

by Anonymousreply 13October 22, 2024 1:27 PM

[quote] And whats with this need a lot of democrats have of wanting Republicans to love them?

A very churlish R6 doesn't seem to have a grasp for math. With the inroads Trump has made with traditional Democratic constituencies, Harris needs as many Republicans as possible on her side if she's going to have any chance of winning. So I don't need them to love us, just vote with us.

by Anonymousreply 14October 22, 2024 1:35 PM

This is a HUGE mistake that is contributing to alienate Harris from significant sectors of the electorate. The Cheney family are a product of extreme privilege, as well as some of the most visible supporters of the neoconservative ideology and neoliberal economic model that have destroyed the American middle class and condemned the working class to abject poverty. Theirs is a legacy of war crimes, social devastation and economic decay. By not only accepting their endorsement, but flaunting it, Harris is signaling that she is part of the much hated establishment, which is only supported by a privileged minority.

Sadly for her, sending out Obama to tell people off from his pulpit of hypocrisy, arrogance and self-idolatry, isn't going to be enough to convince voters to support her after she's aligned herself with some of the worst monsters to ever emerge from the Republican party's anti-populist, pro-imperialistic, pro-Objectivist, anti-egalitarian war machine.

by Anonymousreply 15October 22, 2024 1:36 PM

I don't think Trump's inroads among minority men has much to do with his stance on endless wars, R15. It has more to do with the economy.

by Anonymousreply 16October 22, 2024 1:39 PM

R16, endless wars that are a constant drain on the exchequer and have caused public investment on infrastructure and social programs to practically disappear, is part of the reason why the likes of the Bushes, Cheneys and Clintons are hated. If Harris wants to win, she ought to keep her distance from the uniparty's establishment. Trump has concentrated on talking against war (well, with the exception of supporting Israel against Iran) and promising to rebuild the US economy by recovering its manufacturing and industrial sectors. Yes, he is lying, but at leas he is talking about these matters. Harris, on the other hand, is incessantly blaming everything on Trump, which makes her look weak. A good leader neutralizes his or her enemies by showing that they're better than their adversaries, not by saying 'no matter how bad things might be, my enemy is worse because I say so!'. That is NOT a winning strategy, especially now that the economy is underperforming and people are terrified of a third world war.

Personally, I dislike both Trump and Harris because I see them for what they are (more of the same), but it is undeniable that they're both running disastrous campaigns, even if Trump is doing things in a slightly less inept manner.

by Anonymousreply 17October 22, 2024 1:54 PM

I do appreciate all Cheney is doing BUT she is responsible for that orange pricks rise to power and it’s way too late to stop him.

by Anonymousreply 18October 22, 2024 1:58 PM

[quote] I do appreciate all Cheney is doing BUT she is responsible for that orange pricks rise to power and it’s way too late to stop him.

Don't forget about me.

by Anonymousreply 19October 22, 2024 2:20 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!