Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2025 Cruel World Festival lineup revealed

A gay boy's dream.....

Alison Moyet! The Go-Go's! New Order! Garbage! A reunion of 'Til Tuesday! OMD! Whatever Buzzcocks are still alive after Pete Shelley died! And more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2024 6:46 PM

I went to the one 2 years ago with the dream of seeing Siouxsie before she (or I) die. Fucking lighting bolt shut down the entire festival an hour before the headliner.

Found out too late that they played Sunday night instead - but I was out of town and had to head home for work Monday morning. Still bitter.

But I'll probably go to this one - SO many people I want to see. Alison Moyet, The Cult, Madness.

There was another great festival fall of 2022 in Huntington Beach - on the beach - that was actually better. New Order, Devo, Tears for Fears, Human League - just tons and tons of great bands.

The Cruel World location kinda sucks - really too big and it was hot in Pasadena when I went. Can't really walk there from downtown Pasadena. Although the weather apparently was ok this year. It's a crap shoot.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2024 5:46 PM

R1 I remember hearing that re Siouxsie and the whole lightning mess.

I probably won't go because big shows like this are not my thing, but it sounds like a blast.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2024 5:51 PM

Sorry - Darker Waves was Nov 2023 - just last year. God time flies.

It was Tears for Fears, New Order, OMD, B-52's, Echo & The Bunnymen, Devo, Violent Femmes, English Beat, Human League, Cardigans, etc.

R2 - the other major bummer for me was that Adam Ant (the #2 reason I wanted to go) canceled and was replaced with Squeeze. Squeeze is fine - but they don't really have energy. Adam Ant had a ton of bangers.

I will say this - it can be depressing to see the crowd and how old they are (some are still dressing like they did in the 80's which...just doesn't look good) and how old the performers are. Some of the performers still have a lot of energy - B-52's, Human League - others are huffing and puffing their way across the stage and look like they'd be better off sitting on a stool.

These concert lineups would have been a DREAM for me when I was a teen - they still are - but God damn everyone is old.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2024 5:57 PM

This lineup sounds fantastic! Usual caveat of “well yeah but they’re all 65 or 70 now.” But still, impressive. I can’t do this scene anymore (hearing-loss issues) but my past self would’ve jumped on this.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2024 5:58 PM

R2 - I hope they do Darker Waves in 2024. The beach location is ideal - mid Nov in SoCal is still good weather, but you need a hoodie. It was really easy to get food and drinks. Bathrooms

I can't say the same for Cruel World Festival. I bought clubhouse tickets - which was a total waste of money - but at least there was air conditioning and limited free food and some drinks. And private toilets - which were nice. But not worth 4x the price of a regular ticket. It also provided closing up viewing areas - which was nice, but with giant screens nowadays, you don't need to be that close. And to be fair, everyone is OLD and not exactly bopping around.

The entire festival was vegan - which was fine for me, but not for my meat and potatoes partner. It was mentioned anywhere and he was a little whiney.

My favorite sets of the 2 shows were DEVO - which had great visuals and a lot of energy; Human League - they still look great and are extremely appreciative of their fans; New Order - who also played some Joy Division (which they never ever do); and the B-52's, who really gave it their all.

I will say the festival setup of 40-60 minute sets actually work well, particularly for older musicians and singers - they focus on the energy and the hits and then they're off. No multiple encores - the next band has to setup.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2024 6:10 PM

I was hoping Alison would have a standalone show but alas.

Sadly I'm done with concerts.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2024 6:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!