Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Another colleague dies soon after retirement

I just heard the news that one of my favorite colleagues died last night, just two years after retirement. I don't have details yet--but I think it was cancer. She couldn't wait to travel all over after retirement. I'm so sad she never go to fulfill those dreams.

This is the third person from work in about 5 years who died soon after retirement.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2024 1:51 AM

That’s a lot of death, OP. I hope you’re okay.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2024 4:35 PM

I'm sorry for the loss of your former co-worker, OP. I hope it's not a true cancer cluster.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2024 4:56 PM

I'm sorry for your lose, OP.

People have to make time for what they want to do while they are young. You don't want to be one of those 60 or 70 year olds stumbling across the Acropolis, or, worse, never getting there because they're dead.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2024 5:03 PM

So, this means that all I have to do is retire?

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2024 5:09 PM

I also retired two years ago, then about six months ago, I got a prostate cancer diagnosis. I had prostatectomy surgery a few months ago, and I'm praying I'll remain cancer free.

But I'm also going to start traveling more and enjoying my life, because who knows how long I'll be around? It was a big wakeup call.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2024 5:29 PM

don't drink the water at work OP.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2024 5:44 PM

I know a couple who retired to Palm Springs - late 50's and really looking forward to their lives after being in tech world for so long. One of them got pancreatic cancer - dead 3 months later.

Do it NOW. Traveling when you're older is more difficult. I've been doing bucket-list trips every other year for awhile now. Yeah, it's a little pricey - but I did it.

I have never (well, almost never) regretted traveling - despite the monetary setback at the time.

And even some trips that had a lot of frustrations (rain, travel delays, bad sleep, etc) - you do NOT remember that. You remember the best parts of the trip.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2024 5:50 PM

Meh. For every sad sack story like this there are a plenty of stories of along golden retirements. I just joined my aunt and uncle who are in their 80s on a tour of the Alps. They been traveling for 25 years and they were yachting into their 70s, too. They are in fine form.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2024 5:53 PM

OP Call Jessica Fletcher. I suspect foul play!

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2024 6:04 PM

OP is writing from HR to perpetuate the myth that working until you fucking drop dead is the only thing that keep you alive (unless of course your salary and benefits become a drag and which case HR fires your old ass.)

Those people who say that 'Oh, I wouldn't know what to do with all that the free time!' The ones who worry how the TPS reports will ever get done without them...they probably deserve to die.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2024 6:10 PM

[quote] And even some trips that had a lot of frustrations (rain, travel delays, bad sleep, etc) - you do NOT remember that. You remember the best parts of the trip.

Speak for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2024 6:13 PM

It's crazy that the GOP wants to extend retirement age to get Social Security and Medicare from 65 to 70. The average mortality for American men is 74. The GOP only wants you to get benefits for 4 years and then die.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2024 8:12 PM

When I worked for a big company back in my 20s, there was a sales manager who’d been there 30 years.

They laid him off. As he was exiting the building, he went into cardiac arrest and collapsed to the sidewalk. Dead.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2024 8:55 PM

Get away from me you jinx!

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2024 9:15 PM

Way too many people give work their all, delay healthcare, do everything for everyone else, and then don't get to enjoy their retirement.

I'm not saying anyone should be a selfish boor, but if you don't have work/life balance, no employer will willingly present it to you.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2024 9:17 PM

Willingly present hole to you?

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2024 9:19 PM

Sorry for your lost OP. Have you called Erin Brokavich?

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2024 9:25 PM

R12, full retirement for people born from 1960 and later is currently 67 and has been for quite awhile. People still can start collecting at 62, but the monthly amount is substantially reduced. The Republican proposal is to raise the full benefits age to 69. The argument is that changes need to be made to keep SS fiscally solvent, who knows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2024 11:03 PM

I had a teacher from high school die about 3 months after retirement. He was a bit of a dud as a teacher and didn’t get much respect, but he was an okay guy. He got hit by a car while riding his bike and apparently died instantly. Or quickly. He should have enjoyed his retirement not having to teach a bunch of shitty students on a daily basis, and here the universe had other plans.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2024 11:10 PM

I am 18 months into retirement ( am 64) , yikes! There is not a day that goes by that I don’t that God I retired when I did. Holy shit, I have heard of this phenomena of folks dying right after retirement, makes me sad. Hope i’m not next. i have too much going on right now and not ready to hang it up

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2024 11:26 PM

Never stop working

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2024 11:31 PM

All of the people I know who completely retired at 65 lived for 15 or 20 years, none of them did anything special. I might work part-time after turning 67 in three years, it's very possible with my profession. The mistake people make is saying they'll do something when they retire. Do it now, even if in a minimal form. I'm very glad I made international travel a priority all my life. I'll spend my golden years exploring the US.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2024 11:42 PM

I am about to turn 64 an didn't plan on retiring for several years. I was having so much fun at work and loved my job. But lately it has become nightmarish with restructuring, new idiot leadership, etc. I don't know what to do. I want to stay until max benefits, etc but not sure I can take it. My net worth is 2.7 million but I know I'll die if I stop working.

by Anonymousreply 23October 22, 2024 1:25 AM

A co-worker retired at 55, looking forward to a long retirement. And why not, her mother was then in her late 80s & her father was in his early 90s. She loved The Amazing Race & talked about applying with a friend to be a contestant. But within three weeks of retirement this lifelong non-smoker was diagnosed with lung cancer. She was dead not even twelve months into her retirement.

by Anonymousreply 24October 22, 2024 1:34 AM

The theme of this thread:

They retired, then they died.

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2024 1:45 AM

[quote]The mistake people make is saying they'll do something when they retire. Do it now, even if in a minimal form. I'm very glad I made international travel a priority all my life.

That was definitely my approach. My studies and later my work were in a profession that would never be especially lucrative and further I passed up opportunity for freedom to travel for many years. I might have been more ambitious, not have retired early,and have put more aside for a more comfortable future, but I did okay and I bargained for loads of leave time along the way so that my travels wouldn't all be delayed until retired and old.

Everyone makes his own decision and some people have much less choice in the matter than I did, but I'm glad to have to spent months travelling each year for many years before retiring a few years earlier than might have been ideal. It's been a happy result or me, and to my mind better than had I been super cautious and nose to the grindstone for all those years and more -- and with no certainty of having the time or good health to enjoy my retirement. But of course chance has its hand in these things.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2024 1:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!