Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Prince Harry and Meghan eye "Golden Visa" with possible home purchase in Portugal

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are said to be laying down roots overseas.

The U.K.’s DailyMail reported that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex bought a vacation home in Portugal. The couple currently resides in the wealthy, coastal city of Montecito in California with their son Prince Archie, 5, and daughter Princess Lilibet, 3.

Several royal experts, who’ve heard whispers of the reported purchase, said that the location is an ideal choice for the pair.

"The number of people inside the royal family who are willing to proclaim their friendship for Harry and Meghan has dwindled to practically nothing," Christopher Andersen, author of "The King," claimed to Fox News Digital.

"No one wants to run afoul of the king and Prince William – it's that simple," Andersen claimed. "Somehow Prince Harry’s cousin Princess Eugenie, who has a home in Portugal, has been able to straddle the fence – to remain in the king's good graces but also not turn her back on the Sussexes. Obviously, Harry and Meghan are very grateful for the loyalty Eugenie has shown."

"Purchasing a villa in Portugal has more to do with being close to a royal family member who is still genuinely fond of them than it does with being geographically closer to Great Britain," he claimed.

According to the DailyMail, Eugenie and her husband, Jack Brooksbank, own a home in CostaTerra Golf and Ocean Club, a luxury development of 300 properties by the sea in Melides.

Jack, 38, works in marketing and sales for CostaTerra, the outlet shared. The couple and their two sons, August, 3, and Ernest, 16 months, split their time between Portugal and London.

"Eugenie has always been very close to both Harry and Meghan," said Andersen. "It comes as no surprise that the Sussexes would find the idea of owning beachfront property at the exclusive Portuguese resort appealing.

"It will be interesting to see if CostaTerra becomes the new Mustique, the Caribbean Island paradise that celebrities like Mick Jagger and David Bowie once flocked to after the late Princess Margaret took up residence there," he said. "That royal fairy dust is pretty heady stuff."

"Portugal is considered one of the safest places in Europe, which will resonate with Prince Harry’s paranoia that everyone is out to get them," said British broadcaster Helena Chard. "Many people are settling in Portugal due to tax breaks and quality of life. The stunning beaches will also appeal to Prince Harry’s surfing passion."

"Portugal is also a few steps closer to the U.K., which is a promising sign that they hope to work toward peace with the royal family," she pointed out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2024 11:29 PM

Andersen pointed out that there’s another perk Portugal offers to the Sussexes, specifically Meghan.

"I think a lot of people will find it hard to believe that Meghan was not automatically accorded British citizenship when she married Prince Harry in 2018," he explained. "She was informed that, for her to gain citizenship and a U.K. passport, she would have to apply like anyone else and that it would take at least a year."

"By contrast, Portugal offers a ‘Golden Visa’ to wealthy investors in Portuguese real estate," said Andersen. "The Golden Visa is more than just a status symbol, although it certainly is that. It enables the ultra-rich to travel throughout Europe unhindered… Not having to be dependent on a single passport is just another way for the wealthy to hedge their bets."

"Meghan, being an American, never completed the application for British nationality initiated before her marriage to Harry," said British royals expert Hilary Fordwich. "Purchasing a home in Portugal may well enable the couple to acquire a Golden Visa, which allows those who make investments in the economies of participating countries to gain legal rights there. It grants free access to the Schengen Area within the European Union."

"Portugal has a visa scheme where purchasing property above a certain threshold allows the owner to apply for a visa without a long residency requirement," Fordwich added.

On average, non-stop flights between Portugal and England take between 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours, the outlet shared. Sources close to Harry also indicated that he had expressed a strong desire to travel to his home country more frequently to visit family and friends, as well as support several charities he’s still closely connected with since his royal exit.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2024 2:46 PM

That coast is dry and if you're lucky has some scrub pines. Devoid of interest. Not a paradise.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2024 2:51 PM

Now I get why Eugenie is trying to stay on everyone's good side.

Her husband is basically a real estate agent, and he's just trying to make a sale.

I don't think that either Eug or Jack really care about the royal drama at all.

They just want to stay in everyone's good graces, for the sake of making money.

And it looks like they found the right suckers in Harry and Meghan.

Cha-CHING! Jack just made a commission!

So Harry basically just took the money he inherited from the Queen Mother, and handed it over to Jack and Eugenie.

What a dummy.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2024 2:59 PM

Or, maybe...

they've decided to divorce and have agreed to establish legal residency in Portugal so they will be under the jurisdiction of their family law instead of California's.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2024 3:07 PM

It looks like the British press has finally nailed down the location of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s vacation home in Portugal. It should come as no surprise to anyone who follows the Sussexes that they are going to be very close to Princess Eugenie and her husband, Jack Brooksbank, but it’s the price of their new residence that might send their critics into a tailspin.

Harry and Meghan’s second home is in Comporta, which is about an hour south of Lisbon, according to Express. And yes, it is in the same complex where Eugenie and Brooksbank own their home — it’s a part of the luxurious CostaTerra Golf and Ocean Club. Eugenie’s husband handles marketing and sales for the Discovery Land Company, which is developing the resort property — and attracting some A-list estate owners. Once the oceanside community is completed, there will be 300 swanky homes in the area that are a modern farmhouse design.

Exclusive residences also cost quite a bit of money, and that’s where the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s haters might lose their minds. They always seem to think that the couple is going broke, but these Portugal homes have a starting price of $4.6 million. That certainly isn’t an entry-level housing price, and this is in addition to the couple’s $14.65 million Montecito mansion. Let’s just say, Harry and Meghan are doing fine financially.

Meghan gushed about their dream Southern California place in a 2022 interview with The Cut.

“One of the first things my husband saw when we walked around the house was those two palm trees,” she explained. “We did everything we could to get this house. We were looking in this area, and this house kept popping up online in searches.” However, the hefty price made them hesitate to even take a tour.

“We didn’t have jobs, so we just were not going to come and see this house. It wasn’t possible,” she added. “It’s like when I was younger and you’re window shopping. It’s like, ‘I don’t want to go and look at all the things that I can’t afford. That doesn’t feel good.’” After their Netflix and Spotify deals came through, they were able to take the plunge.

Meghan described their home as the place where they feel “joy,” “calm” and “free.” Now, they will also have a residence closer to Harry’s family that also avoids their U.K. security issues. It will be a European home where the young cousins can get to know each other and, perhaps, where Eugenie can bridge the gap between King Charles III and his youngest son to end a family feud that’s been brewing for far too long.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2024 3:12 PM

I've long predicted the Sussexes divorce, it's just a matter of when. I'm sticking to that.

But man, given all the issues- choice of law, citizenship, custody, physical placement, not to mention $$$$$, if they go to Defcon Zero with each other, that divorce will make the War of the Roses seem like a skirmish.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2024 3:12 PM

While Portugal has been known for it's Golden Visa opportunity, I thought it had been cancelled because it was driving up home prices. I'm sure exceptions would be made from Harry and Meghan, however.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2024 3:17 PM

A modern farmhouse in a golfing community? Sounds like that place is full of tasteless douchebags.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2024 3:35 PM

R8 exactly.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2024 3:39 PM

R6 is correct. They will divorce.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2024 3:52 PM

I don’t think they are ever going to divorce actually. I actually think their love is more genuine than Prince William and Kate. Kate was groomed to be his wife because obviously he will be king someday. With that being said these two are cunts, Prince William and Kate aren’t.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2024 3:55 PM

If this turns out to be true, I will be stunned.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2024 5:12 PM

PRINCE Harry is 'keeping a door open' to the Royal Family buying a Portugal home, as it "could be a very nice way in", claimed a royal expert.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2024 8:15 PM

They really do seem like the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, more and more as time goes on.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2024 8:18 PM

[quote] A modern farmhouse in a golfing community?

I was wondering the same thing.

A farmhouse on a golf course sounds like a gross contradiction.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2024 8:21 PM

[quote] part of the luxurious CostaTerra Golf and Ocean Club. Eugenie’s husband handles marketing and sales for the Discovery Land Company, which is developing the resort property — and attracting some A-list estate owners. Once the oceanside community is completed, there will be 300 swanky homes in the area that are a modern farmhouse design.

r15 From the sounds of it a gated tacky mcfarmhouse villa community with a golf and boat club.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2024 8:28 PM

[quote]"It will be interesting to see if CostaTerra becomes the new Mustique"

I wouldn't hold your breath.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2024 8:32 PM

Let’s all agree: they’re up to something 🧙🏼‍♀️

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2024 8:44 PM

Portugal's Golden Visa program did not end. It was reworked in 2023 to require direct investment - not simply buying a personal residence over a certain value. There are various adjustments to tighten the financial requirements. The program benefits, however, have become somewhat more generous.

Citizenship is available after 5 years and the residency requirements are minimal.

A summary...

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2024 8:46 PM

The link for R19

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2024 8:46 PM

FASCINATING

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2024 8:49 PM

You cannot receive a golden visa by purchasing a home in Portugal.

You have to make an financial investment in the country of at least $500,000 that does not include real estate.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2024 11:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!