Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Washington DC

I’m in DC this week to do the museums. Any suggestions of shows or exhibits or really anything that I shouldn’t miss?

Thanks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2024 3:14 AM

You must see the African-American History museum. It is epic. I know that word is thrown around a lot but it truly is. You won’t even be able to soak it all in a day. Also hit up Ben’s Chilli Bowl on U street. It’s not too far from Howard University. In general I would take the metro to Chinatown and just walk, you’ll run into DuPont/Capitol Hill. Also any restaurant in Chinatown is going to be good. It’s not like New York’s Chinatown which is so massive and has a lot of meh, quick Buck type of establishments. All the Chinese restaurants in DC’s Chinatown are good.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2024 11:56 AM

The peacock room at the Smithsonian

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2024 12:08 PM

You may find this thread of interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2024 12:15 PM

Ben's Chili Bowl is a tourist trap---Oohs and Aah's down the street, a soul food takeout, is much better. Chinatown has mostly mediocre restaurants, Chinese and otherwise. You can get very good Chinese food at hole in the wall places in the suburbs, but you likely won't have the time.

The National Gallery is pretty overrated as art museums go, but you should see the exhibit on the Impressionists. DC has a surprising amount of theater ranging from the conventional (Kennedy Center, Arena to the more experimental like the Source and the Wooly Mammoth--check out the theater listings in the Post or the City Paper. The National Portrait Gallery is worth a look--an interesting mix of history, pop culture and art. They usually have good photography exhibits. The Phillips Collection is a "sleeper" among museums, the only museum of US modern art in the US.

The African-American Museum is worth a look as is the Holocaust Museum. The Museum of Natural History tends to be filled with children on weekends and best viewed on a weekday. The American History Smithsonian can be exhausting because the exhibits are so detailed, but you can see Julia Child's kitchen and other pop history. The Air & Space is probably the most popular and interesting for seeing the Apollo capsule---there's also branch on the grounds of Dulles Airport.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2024 12:21 PM

The weather’s nice, so a stroll around the national monuments is pleasant. Also, everyone needs a cheesy photo in front of the White House.

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2024 12:25 PM

[quote]I’m in DC this week to do the museums.

People do that?

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2024 12:25 PM

R4 I’ve never been to Ooohs and Ahhs but Ben’s Chilli Bowl half smokes are definitely worth it. Plus since the op is a tourist I’m sure he’ll want to check out all the cool photos and montages of the celebs and politicians who have come thru over the years. Another good soul food spot is Horace’s on H street. Its speciality is fried fish. Don’t go to the one in Takoma, go to the original on H street.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2024 12:28 PM

Going to see the photos? Not a good reason to go to U Street, which itself is pretty much a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2024 1:15 PM

Another vote for the African American History Museum - epic is a good word for it. It’s a stark reminder of what African Americans have been through in our country and also what they’ve achieved. I didn’t enter the Emmitt Till memorial - I didn’t think my heart and soul could take it. (There are warnings so you don’t just stumble upon it.) The National Portrait Gallery is wonderful, too, and I love the American History Museum. All right on the Mall.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2024 1:33 PM

I’m planning on seeing the Banksy/Basquiat exhibit at the Hershhorn and the National Portrait Gallery is on the list. I want to see the Hope Diamond, just because I’ve never seen it and might check out the Spy Museum Bond exhibit. The only dinner I have planned is trying St. Anselm for a big steak with a friend. I’m staying at the Hilton near the Mall so I’ll be close to all the Smithsonian museums.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2024 2:21 PM

Forget the Hope Diamond. This is the prettiest rock in the Smithsonian Natural History Museum.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2024 2:52 PM

I love the East Wing of the National Gallery. Numerous paintings by Rothko, Pollock, Mitchell. and other abstract expressionists.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2024 2:53 PM

The Holocaust Museum is incredible. I’m glad I went, but I was DONE for the rest of the day. It’s very emotionally draining.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2024 3:42 PM

The Spy Museum is just ok.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2024 4:10 PM

The National Zoo is quite awesome.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2024 4:15 PM

There are better zoos and if OP's main focus is the museums, the zoo would be a big diversion.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2024 4:30 PM

Op make sure you score some hot dick too. Be a whore.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2024 4:46 PM

I'm going to DC tomorrow, OP, to see the Impressionist show mentioned by another poster.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2024 5:06 PM

Go to the National Arboretum if the weather's nice. It is off the beaten path and not easy to find. Hidden gem.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2024 5:10 PM

OP, I'm going through the National Gallery website. They have an interactive floor plan that shows you what is in each gallery. I had no clue their collection was so rich and extensive, especially of Impressionists (West Building, Main Floor, Galleries 70s, 80s, and 90s). Even if you don't go to the special Impressionism exhibit, you'll see many incredible works in these galleries.

Their collection of Dutch and Flemish works isn't something to sneeze at either, several Rembrandts.

by Anonymousreply 20October 22, 2024 1:49 AM

The US Botanic Garden is located on mall and was a lovely escape from the cold when I visited DC in January 2020. You could duck in for a 30 minute break between museums.

by Anonymousreply 21October 22, 2024 3:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!