Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: Yet Another Time Capsule in Boston suburbs

Or is it an exurb?

Why, just look at these photos!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2024 2:18 PM

My ghod. They sure knew what they liked, didn’t they?

Gives me the creeps but if the right person could find it, they’d always know they had one of a kind.

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2024 4:32 AM

New Bedford is not a suburb of Boston but Yikes anyway!

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2024 4:55 AM

The kitchen makes me smile.

It’s so Betty Crocker.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2024 5:42 AM

This belonged to a housewife who had the decorating budget. It was a corporate thing in the 70s.

Your entertainment venue had to keep step with the other wives - not too low, not too high.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2024 5:52 AM

Aside from the architecture, I see little from 1955 and much more from Better Homes & Gardens 1965-1975.

It's the foil wallpaper and blue in blue on blue color scheme that packs the most punch. The furniture is hard to love -- maybe a bold repainting of that awful Frenchy stuff would improve things. But most of the furniture is uninspired and unlovable. I do half like the odd collage effect on the ceiling if the Sitting Room (I think it is, with the fireplace).

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2024 6:18 AM

What! No turquoise cabinets and appliances in the kitchen? FAIL!

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2024 7:54 AM

The owners certainly like the color blue. I'm surprised the exterior isn't painted some shade of blue.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2024 7:59 AM

This house will be great once someone knocks down all the walls to make it open concept.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2024 1:11 PM

New Bedford is an old whaling town on the South Coast of Massachusetts. It was a thriving city in the early 19th century thanks to the whaling and textile industries, and as a result is full of beautifully preserved Federal-style architecture.

And, apparently, this house.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2024 1:18 PM

Needs a man cave.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2024 1:22 PM

Yes r5, that was my first thought, Better Homes and Gardens! It looked dated now obviously but this would’ve been right in style. I feel like I’ve seen the blue and green plaid bedroom in a magazine.

A long ago friend described New Bedford as the armpit of Massachusetts. Maybe it’s improved?

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2024 1:40 PM

A 10 foot x 10 foot laundry room and you could only find space for a stackable washer/dryer that blocks a window?

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2024 1:57 PM

Wow this is very cool! I like it, in fact I could live in this, its so dated. Particularly love the furniture, and the foil wallpaper in the front door area is quite something. If I couldnt have a Victorian I could settle for this

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2024 1:59 PM

It’s a suburb of Providence, not Boston. It’s what Massachusetts calls a “Gateway” city which means it’s poorer with more issues than Boston. The traffic to Boston on 24 and 140 is horrific. The state is building a rail line to connect New Bedford and nearby Fall River to Boston which will open someday - it’s a couple of years behind schedule now.

The dominant ethnic minority in the region has been people of Portuguese ancestry and this house would seem to represent that taste circa the Nixon Administration. It would cost twice as much - in the same shape - were it in a closer Boston suburb like Newton or Dedham.

I’d redecorate if I had to live there but wouldn’t live there if I had a choice.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2024 2:01 PM

IMHO, that whole area of SE Massachusetts, including New Bedford and Fall River seems kind of seedy and downtrodden.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2024 2:07 PM

The big Italian chandelier over the dining table is worth some money.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2024 2:14 PM

This reminded me of the home in Johnstown PA posted a few years back - this one also looks like some Italians owned it LOL.

And sorry for the mislabeling as a Boston suburb. It looked like it might be from the map but I didn't know it was considered a Providence burb.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2024 2:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!