Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lesbians are going extinct: truth or fiction?

Some lesbian commentators on YouTube have been saying lately that “lesbians are going extinct.“ In other words, lesbians are no longer identifying as lesbians, but rather as “queer“ or “nonbinary” or “trans.” Even Katie Herzog mentioned in one video that she knew a group of lesbians who lived together in the same house who all transitioned.

I’m curious to hear from the lesbians of DL. Are there still a lot of young lesbians who are identify as lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2024 2:06 AM

There are lesbians on DL?

by Anonymousreply 1October 21, 2024 1:59 AM

Hi r1!

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2024 2:06 AM

I don’t think so.

A lot of the young “queer” girls today aren’t actually homosexuals but see queer identity as a scene like being goth or punk.

So no.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2024 2:07 AM

There are, R1.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2024 2:07 AM

Oh no! I need to dump my Subaru stock. Subito!

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2024 2:10 AM

I could see that - I'm not a gay woman, but I'm a gay man.

It seems like people are twisting themselves into mental pretzels to avoid being called gay men or lesbian women.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2024 3:19 AM

I just listened to a ftm YouTuber who literally said that they hated being a female because it was hard. They decided to transition after they watched YouTube videos of trans people. Social contagion is real and people will be forced to deal with the reality.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2024 3:23 AM

Oh, and she/he was originally living as a regular lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2024 3:24 AM

NOT FUNNY, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2024 3:34 AM

That's one of the things JK Rowling claimed was happening to children in her "why I hate trans people" essay, r7. It's the anti-trans version of the "gay marriage means people will marry their dogs!" mass hysteria we saw 10+ years ago.

One person making YouTube videos for money≠real data

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2024 6:03 AM

No. We're still here. The "queer lesbians" of today are just confused straight girls who can't reconcile playing second fiddle to men. And liking it.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2024 6:58 AM

Chaz Bono and Elliott Page both came out as lesbians before transitioning.

Here in Australia it's remarkable how fast the 'Q' word has gained traction in mainstream media. I pin that down to gay marriage which was legalized in 2017. It was suppose to be about "equality", not mainstream irrelevance.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2024 6:59 AM

[quote]lesbian women

This is redundant.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2024 7:00 AM

No it’s not, r13. Men are claiming to be lesbians too. They’re all over the apps.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2024 8:13 AM

r14 We don't count the mentally ill and perverts.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2024 8:18 AM

"... avoid being called gay men or lesbian women"

Remember, "That's so GAY"? Boomer mommies were NOT going to have homosexual children! So they splintered off into 'non-binary' 'Woke' 'questioning' 'fluid' 'omni-sexual' and 'Qwear'.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2024 8:39 AM

If the lesbians are going anywhere, OP you can find them very easily. All you have to do is look for a 300 UHaul caravan heading to the same house after a first date.

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2024 9:15 AM

[quote]R10 That's one of the things JK Rowling claimed was happening to children in her "why I hate trans people" essay, [R7]. It's the anti-trans version of the "gay marriage means people will marry their dogs!" mass hysteria we saw 10+ years ago.

There’s this (bi) actress named Caroline Easom who was really into the Harry Potter books when she was young. She’s made some videos about how - looking back - some of the messages in the books are very bigoted and disturbing. And how the author doesn’t seem to like women in general.

I find this girl so funny!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2024 5:53 PM

R18 - she's ridiculous and on a mission to find offense with everything. She's counting out how many non-white characters there are.

Would she do the same with an Indian author or Chinese author?

Searching for offense - that's what is wrong with Gen Z. Anybody who has read JK's actual replies would know she is not a bigot and is defending biological women.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2024 6:17 PM

At first I read this as lesbians who were all house trained. I’m like WTF. I had to grab my glasses.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2024 6:23 PM

Gallup which has been following this for ages shows that for both gay men and lesbians the numbers are just about the exact same as they have been. No real increase or decrease.

It’s the Bi and Trans and Queers that have seen their numbers or % go up. Especially the younger you go like the GenZ.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2024 6:34 PM

r11 No they are bisexual women.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2024 6:36 PM

No one can go extinct. Just self loathing lesbians calling themselves "queer" and bisexual women who prefer men calling themselves "queer." Most global studies show even in the most progressive nordic countries than less than 2% of women are lesbian. For whatever reason there are slightly more gay men than lesbians. Bisexuals are hard to point down.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2024 9:49 PM

R5 - don’t forget your shares in U-Haul.

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2024 9:51 PM

Is it the lack of good blue collar employment opportunities? The economic base is not there?

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2024 10:02 PM

What if we stopped talking about sexual orientation, proclivity or gender expression and just let anyone live the way they wanted to, with minimal discussion? Just accept and move on and talk about your next project or Your Latest Trick? I'm hoping this is the lesson of the next generation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2024 10:30 PM

R26 - because Christians and other religious groups and Republicans don't want to see anything besides straight M-F married couples?

That's always been the group we have to fight against - and they've slowly and begrudgingly started to treat us like humans with rights - but they still have contempt for us and want to roll back our rights at the first opportunity.

Look at Project 2025. That's their plan. So yes - we have to keep talking about it, educating people and protect ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2024 10:41 PM

Fiction. I would think the reverse, OP.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2024 11:26 PM

r23 Lesbians number 2% of the self-reported population in the most liberal areas of the world? Do you have a source on that?

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2024 11:30 PM

When Dinah Shores Ruled the Earth

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2024 11:32 PM

Lesbians are always under the radar. Often not even illegal practice.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2024 11:33 PM

It’s the term—it just sounds so abrupt or savage, like “Bavarians” or “Bubonic.”

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2024 11:37 PM

I actually know a lesbian who used to date a tranny. It seemed like quite an anomaly to me, because I don’t know any other lesbians who did this. But last time I saw her at a party, it looks like she dumped the tranny and upgraded to a real woman.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2024 11:45 PM

r29 Nordic countries. I don't know, I don't save links. You can look it up. If it is 5% that is including bisexual women. I am talking about exclusively attracted to women.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2024 11:51 PM

I'm here, OP, but then you already knew that.

And if I were still teaching, I could easily answer that. But I stopped teaching college students in 2012, before all the "non-binary" and "queer" shit kicked in.

Back then, the gay/lesbian students flocked to me because I was out and they just wanted an adult to talk to. Seemed like there were enough of them then.

And the last data I saw, admittedly from awhile ago, was 4% lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2024 11:58 PM

r34 2% sounds legit then.

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2024 11:59 PM

Op, I think lipstick lesbians are becoming extinct. Butch ones are increasing in numbers.

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2024 11:59 PM

r37 increasing?!? If anything they're the ones going "transmasc" or "non-binary".

by Anonymousreply 38October 22, 2024 12:01 AM

Simon Doonan says that we are all lesbians now, anyone who wears polar fleece or eats whole grains.

by Anonymousreply 39October 22, 2024 12:03 AM

^That sounds about right. I'm morphing the natural way.

by Anonymousreply 40October 22, 2024 12:07 AM

Assuming there are as many lesbians as gay men, I can say that in my social circle I know more gay men than I can count and exactly one lesbian couple. I know a whole bunch of former lesbians who now look like hobgiblins with wide hips, a flimsy beard and yeti body hair who talk with vocal fry.

by Anonymousreply 41October 22, 2024 2:00 AM

R41 So it is true!

by Anonymousreply 42October 22, 2024 2:06 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!