Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Are your cabinets lined with contact paper? Worth the hassle?

I spent the entire weekend covering the cabinets in the kitchen and two bathrooms with contact paper. It looks great, but what a bitch to install properly.

And I still have the closets to do, fuck!

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2024 8:56 PM

Lined cabinets and drawers are wonderful.

Highly recommend.

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2024 11:27 PM

I did some of them for my mother back in the 70s during Christmas vacation in a hall closet (keep canned goods in there). She's long gone but I still live in the house. The shelves are still lined, in excellent condition. Easy to clean.

by Anonymousreply 2October 21, 2024 12:00 AM

No. Lacquer paint the wood. Or use glass shelves.

by Anonymousreply 3October 21, 2024 12:02 AM

No. I guess it depends on what your cabinets are made of. Mine have some kind of laminate on the shelves, so It's already easy to wipe down, if necessary. If it's raw wood, then maybe the contact paper would be worth doing.

by Anonymousreply 4October 21, 2024 12:06 AM

It’s one of those “Greatest Generation” habits that’s a pain in the behind for this lazier offspring. I can’t even begin to fathom how Mum found the time, much less the skill and the willpower. You can’t even hire someone off the TV for this chore. To paraphrase Charlie Brown: “Aaaugh!”

by Anonymousreply 5October 21, 2024 12:11 AM

R5 that's a great observation, very true. My bf is like, 'wtf, who cares?' But that's how my mom programed me, so do it.

by Anonymousreply 6October 21, 2024 12:24 AM

I just use the rubber/plastic webbing that is used in restaurants and bars under my glasses and dishes. Cut it to size and it's easy to remove if you wish to wash it.

I live in a highrise and don't want roaches attracted by the adhesive on contact paper.

by Anonymousreply 7October 21, 2024 12:26 AM

Some people put plastic or vinyl place mats down on cabinet shelves.

by Anonymousreply 8October 21, 2024 12:30 AM

R7 is that really a thing? Horrors!

by Anonymousreply 9October 21, 2024 12:35 AM

The webbing or roaches attracted to adhesive? Both are a thing.

by Anonymousreply 10October 21, 2024 1:14 AM

Not contact paper (I hate that stuff), but my shelves are covered with a thickish vinyl shelf liner.

by Anonymousreply 11October 21, 2024 1:26 AM

Kitchen cabinets, yes. You place glasses and cups upside down, so contact paper help keep them clean and ready to use.

by Anonymousreply 12October 21, 2024 1:28 AM

My cabinets in the kitchen are wood and not lined. They were installed thirty years ago and are still good as new.

by Anonymousreply 13October 21, 2024 1:37 AM

I believe this is something we picked up from our mothers and grandmothers. But back in their day they had to do this because the shelves and drawer interiors were usually unfinished wood. There's really no need to line shelves which are made of laminate or melamine.

If you store your glassware upside down then the rubberized mats protect the rims. (And nothing is worse than a rough rim.)

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2024 1:46 AM

The glue draws silverfish and roaches. So, no. Just another wasteful foofoo idea to separate you from your money.

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2024 1:48 AM

Ugh! Contact paper is gross. Marketed to clueless housewife’s back in the day as some sort of convince must have. My shelves are just fine without.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2024 1:48 AM

^^ convenience

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2024 1:50 AM

I like the lacquering idea, but I've always used a neutral colored contact paper. I sympathize with OP, as I'm currently updated my kitchen and the sticky contact paper is hard to apply. The cutting grid on the underside of the paper does help some.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2024 1:57 AM

I will get on it OP, just as soon as I finish churning butter.

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2024 2:05 AM

This seems like a Depression-era relic, intended to make sure your cabinets will last forever.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2024 2:25 AM

I used to use shelf paper, it came on a roll. Funny I haven’t thought of it in years.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2024 2:28 AM

and whatever is left I slapped on the cabinets and drawers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2024 2:42 AM

I use ribbed for my own pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2024 2:45 AM

R14 I love a rough rim, drives me crazy!

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2024 2:57 AM

I'm on a budget, so I just reuse the newspaper that Friday's fish was sold in.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2024 3:20 AM

I have wood cabinets but really some sort of pressed laminate wood -- it looks nice when new but there's some scuzzy or rough patches that develop that I can't get rid of - does anyone know what the hell it is? Can't be cleaned off, and they're not from a spill or abrasion although it feels a bit rough. It's happened inside one cabinet and on another shelf that's open. I didn't like the fake wood anyway but those patches make it look dirty and even less appealing

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2024 8:06 AM

The rubbery mesh works well to help dissipate water, the concern is any moisture trapped under washed glasses will inhibit bacteria and mold on the lip.

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2024 9:25 AM

Installed the laminate sheeting and it was a total waste of time. They get dirty, instead of the wood. You're either cleaning one or the other and there is no damage or impact to the cabinet when you don't line them. Complete waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2024 10:21 AM

Store your glasses upright and you won’t need to worry about this shit.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2024 11:31 AM

You can spray a plastic seal on the shelves, like a bed liner for cabinets. One and done.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2024 12:08 PM

R29 Even if you have good quality cabinets that have doors that close properly, dust will still get inside your glasses over a period of days/weeks.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2024 2:05 PM

I lined most of my cabinets and they are nice and clean. I didn't line the cabinets that hold the glasses because it's hard to slide the glasses in--as a consequence, the water dripping off the glasses has led to some warping unfortunately

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2024 3:33 PM

There was a shelf liner product…it wasn’t adhesive but if you wet the underside with water it would stick down enough not to slide around. Like thin vinyl but flexible, on a roll.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2024 8:27 PM

Christ on a crutch, do you people cut a scalloped front edge for your lining paper? Or contact paper,? Gingham? Little flowers? A jaunty plaid interwoven with little flowers?

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2024 8:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!