Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What’s going on with my mother?

I went to visit her recently, and she is absolutely obsessed with Trump. I don’t mean obsessed like the people DL are. It’s way deeper than that.

She would spend up to eight hours a day watching MSNBC, and when she wasn’t doing that, she was either taking some kind of online class where they were complaining about Trump or talking politics, or she was talking on the phone to a friend about Trump. And then we would go out to dinner and she would start complaining to me about Trump.

I’m thinking maybe this is a way for her to channel her frustration about something else. At one point, I even said to her “if you hate Trump so much why do you want to spend 12 hours a day hearing about him?” And she just got this look on her face like she didn’t know what to say. Visiting her was a painful experience. I dislike Trump as much as anyone else but I sure as hell don’t want to hear about him all day long.

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2024 9:00 PM

Thanks for sharing, OP!

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2024 10:11 PM

The proper medical term for this is “Trump Derangement Syndrome.”

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2024 10:36 PM

I’m a 62 year old Mom and soon to be grandma.

And I guess you could say I’m obsessed with Trump.

I think it’s just fear. And regret. And guilt.

My generation knows how things are supposed to be.

We're the boomers who were born in the aftermath of Hitler, Mussolini and the horrors of WWII.

We grew up during the Cold War and lived to see it end. Or so we thought.

We supposedly learned the lessons we were supposed to learn and were prepared to inherit a world where fascism had been defeated and communism contained.

We were the generation that was supposed to fight for equality and against global warming.

We were supposed to leave a better healthcare system and a better standard of living for our kids.

Instead how many of us embraced the “greed is good” motto of the 80s and cast our votes for Ronnie Reagan, sending him, his harridan of a wife and his anti-union, deregulating cronies into the White House? (For the record, I voted for Carter).

We fucked up and started this ball rolling. And our one chance to stop it is to defeat Trump.

If your mom’s anything like me she’s terrified of what kind of world is being left for her kids and their kids, she regrets every choice our generation made that got us here, and she feels guilt for watching it all happen.

Because she knows what we were supposed to accomplish and how things are supposed to be.

Anyway, that’s the best way I can explain why I’m obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2024 10:36 PM

Old people still remember tyrants like Stalin and Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2024 10:38 PM

Seems perfectly normal to me. It’s like a nightmare we can’t wake up from. Invasion of the Body Snatchers level shit.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2024 10:38 PM

R3/R4 Those are good points, although I’m still not sure how watching cable news all day would solve anything. That would drive me mad. I just dropped my ballot in the mail with a vote for Kamala and that’s all I can do.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2024 10:40 PM

Sounds like she’s a lot smarter than you.

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2024 10:42 PM

I don’t know about that R7. OP didn’t say they aren’t worried about Trump. They just said there’s no point in thinking about him all day long. And I think that’s accurate. I’ve had a lot of therapy over the years, and I’ve learned that there’s no point in worrying about things you can’t control. I voted and I hope for the best, and that’s all I can do.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2024 10:48 PM

Trump Derangement Syndrome can be sonsidered a good thing.

Stopping this madman is a good thing.

Taking your eyes off him can lead to acceptance of his total ineptitude to lead the United States of America ever again.

Thank goodness of your mother realizing what a terribly unfit person Donald Trump truly is.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2024 10:53 PM

Oh look. Another Trump thread.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2024 10:55 PM

R8 i tried to hit back before the comment loaded as i noticed OP was being pretty reasonable so it is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 10:59 PM

24 hour news was a mistake. Lets just have multiple national new bulletins.

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 10:59 PM

Older people watch the news ALL DAY LONG. Your mother sounds completely normal. Before cable news, my father was obsessed with the news paper every day had to read the news paper, and then local TV news at the time.

Young people are out living their lives, working, dating, going out with friends, dinner, adventures, music, Youtube etc. If they catch the news it's by accident in their TikToK feed otherwise "whatever". Older people dont go out much, they care about what gowning on in the world, they see the big picture, and pondering their own mortality. They have seen with their own eyes the implications of putting judges on the Supreme court and living decades with that decision no matter how corrupt or partisan just one of those judges can be (cough, cough Clarence Thomas). Appointing 3 in one shot by a single president is a nightmare to them.

That's why seniors are the voting block with the highest turnout in every election. That's why your mom is obsess with Dump, she knows if he gets back in, it wont be just 4 years, it will be decades of damage to the American system of democracy.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 10:59 PM

Who gives a fuck? Let the old lady have her hobby. Things are tough for elder women since they cancelled their stories.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2024 11:05 PM

Trump is deranged and she's concerned about her county. Sounds right to me.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2024 11:07 PM

Beautiful post r3

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2024 11:08 PM

There is nothing wrong with your mother, it’s the people who live in denial there’s something wrong with.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2024 11:12 PM

I'm surprised she's watching MSNBC and not Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2024 11:22 PM

I think this is simply one of those cases of logical thinking versus emotional thinking. A logical thinker would understand that thinking about Trump all day long isn’t going to change anything, and the only thing they can do is vote. But an emotional thinker, especially one who spends all day in echo chambers, is going to believe that constant worry is going to make a difference, or that in order to be a “good“ citizen, they need to “show” that they’re worried about Trump.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 11:24 PM

Yes, R17, and the ones who come into your home/car/personal space, see you watching/listening to/reading new reporting of Trump and his minions, roll their eyes, sigh and are all "I can't stand that man--but I won't/can't watch that stuff every day."

I'm like "Bitch, this is MY home, MY vehicle, MY personal space, and YOU are a low information voter who could stand watching news about Trump--because if you did you would know it's not just about "that man"; it's Congress, your state legislature, your city council, your fucking dogcatcher."

They're the same types who'll point to your checkout items, and say "What is that? You eat that? Wow, do you really need all those pastries?" Like you know me and my family well enough to ask those dunderheaded questions.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2024 11:24 PM

Does she post on Datalounge? How many of the elevenseventybillion Trump threads do you think she is responsible for?

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2024 11:25 PM

Calm down R20. We know all of this. That’s why we vote.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2024 11:30 PM

[quote]But an emotional thinker, especially one who spends all day in echo chambers, is going to believe that constant worry is going to make a difference, or that in order to be a “good“ citizen, they need to “show” that they’re worried about Trump.

Totally disagree with that. It's not about "being a good citizen". When you have lived long enough to know how countries can change and elect dictators which lead to wars, it's not an "echo chamber" obsession, it's real concern to not return to the past like that. Its very simple minded to throw up your hands and say "all I can do is vote" and then pretend nothing bad is happening to this country and it's culture.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2024 11:42 PM

R23 I’m going to ask you a question. What else can you really do besides vote that’s going to make any meaningful difference?

You could worry. It won’t change anything. I think there’s a difference between being concerned for the future of the country and spending every waking moment thinking about it. Of course I’m concerned for the future of the country. That’s why I vote in every single election. At the same time, I fail to see how ranting on Facebook about Trump, watching cable news all day, etc. is going to make any meaningful impact.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2024 11:48 PM

You could start a 100 Trump threads a day. Lord knows that helps.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2024 11:49 PM

[quote]She would spend up to eight hours a day watching MSNBC

Your mother could be my mother, but add two boxes of wine a week. What REALLY bothers me, is she is watching a lot of Youtube (on the television through a Roku). I keep telling her that ANYONE can pretty much post anything on Youtube, but she keeps watching it.

I gave her an example - I could post a video on Youtube where I look straight at the camera and say "Hitler was right". Would it be monetized? No. Would it be taken down? I doubt it.

She just doesn't believe me. Youtube's algorithm feeds a person worst fears. At least MSNBC is more or less factual.

I'm tempted to password lock the app, but she is an adult.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2024 11:54 PM

Your mom is a total weirdo who thinks American democracy is worth preserving. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2024 11:56 PM

It’s sad. Older people, some of them, truly do not know what to do with themselves for the hours of a day.

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2024 12:00 AM

Poor lady is being victimized by the powerful interests that choose what is news and what is noise. They have chosen him because he gets their networks viewer attention. He has clearly promised to Lower taxes for the richest few. He's promised to do away with workers rights. He's promised to remove regulations to prevent them from looting and poisoning the country and the minds of the people. Thats why he's going to be squarely defeated on the 5th.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2024 12:05 AM

[quote]Your mom is a total weirdo who thinks American democracy is worth preserving

Getting drunk by 4 PM everyday watching the View, MSNBC, and Youtube, and bitching about Trump, but doing absolutely nothing else is not preserving democracy.

If she volunteered (even by phone) I'd be happy to listen to her bitch about Trump all day, but she doesn't. It is as bad as those people who watch Fox News all day and hold their gun in their hand in case "them immigrants" storm their door any moment.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2024 12:07 AM

How dare you judge your mother. If she was a foaming at the mouth worshiper of orange, you would not dare to criticize.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2024 12:11 AM

Maybe your mom cares very deeply about keeping our Democracy and maybe you don’t know what Democracy is?

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2024 12:40 AM

R32 or maybe OP’s mom (if she’s like my mom) just has nothing to do.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2024 12:42 AM

Obviously mom is bored and has nothing to do and no one to speak with, with a son like that? Obvious.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2024 12:44 AM

Cheer up, OP, she could have been a MAGAt, constantly oraculating the virtues of Trump and making you seriously consider euthanasia.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2024 12:48 AM

Your mother is obsessed and needs other interests and hobbies. She has let Trump infest her brain and is doing nothing productive. If Trump wins (God forbid], I’d sincerely worry about her mental health.

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2024 12:54 AM

(For maybe the first time in my life) Team Mom

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2024 12:59 AM

R36 you just described most of the people on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2024 1:19 AM

Do you love Trump OP?

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2024 7:31 PM

R39 What a strange comment. OP never said they like Trump.

by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2024 7:46 PM

Good, OP. Let her keep trying to convince her friends to vote against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2024 8:05 PM

R41 I can’t speak for OP, but I highly doubt their mom needs to do any convincing. Anyone that pathologically obsessed with Trump isn’t going to have Trump supporting friends.

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2024 8:12 PM

I guess it’s better than crying tears of love

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2024 9:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!