Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greatest true crime book you’ve ever read

Let’s exclude two books — In Cold Blood, and Helter Skelter, as they are widely acknowledged to be the two greatest true crime books written in English in the 20th century.

With those two icons excluded, what is your choice?

by Anonymousreply 96October 22, 2024 2:24 AM

The Executioner’s Song.

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2024 9:51 PM

The Stranger Beside Me

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2024 9:56 PM

R2 my mum and I always liked Ann Rule

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2024 10:01 PM

Until the Twelfth of Never: The Deadly Divorce of Dan & Betty Broderick by Bella Stumbo

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2024 10:01 PM

What r1 said.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2024 10:02 PM

Ann Rule’s best is actually Small Sacrifices, but her connections to Bundy are what make Stranger Beside Me stand out.

But for my money, the GOAT of true crime is Dave Cullen’s Columbine. That’s just a masterpiece.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2024 10:03 PM

Lost Girls by Robert Kolker and Sandy Hook by Elizabeth Williamson

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2024 10:05 PM

EVIDENCE OF LOVE by John Bloom and Jim Atkinson, about the grisly ax murder of one suburban Texas housewife, Betty Gore, by another, Candy Montgomery.

Truly chilling and fascinating page-turner and if you don't know it, you should. Unfortunately, there've been at least a couple of terrible TV movies based on the book that don't come near the bizarre and complex emotional ride of the source material.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2024 10:10 PM

Indecent Exposure. The David Begelman story. Captures as well the coldest winter I can remember in New York, 1978.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2024 10:16 PM

[quote] Ann Rule’s best is actually Small Sacrifices, but her connections to Bundy are what make Stranger Beside Me stand out.

It stands out because it's the better book.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2024 10:17 PM

Murder among friends : how Leopold and Loeb tried to commit the perfect crime

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 10:28 PM

Whut the Bellz did to me wass a true krime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 10:30 PM

Happy Like Murderers about Fred and Rosemary West. I couldn't read it a second time because it goes into great detail about how they abused their children.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 10:33 PM

Until the 12th of Never by Bella Stumbo. It’s about Betty Broderick. I actually got the recommendation from a Betty Broderick thread right here at the DL.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2024 10:37 PM

Fatal Vision may’ve been the first one I read — I was young, and it captivated me.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2024 10:38 PM

R9, did you read it that winter, or is that when the story takes place?

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2024 10:40 PM

Blood and Money

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2024 10:42 PM

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2024 10:43 PM

My Life for the World to See, by Liz Renay.

Liz in Terminal Island Prison!

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 10:44 PM

Perfect Poison and two I read about Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo. Both were good but one writer had clearly seen the tapes and violated the gag order. I had to stop myself from reading and watching too much true crime. I thought it just couldn't be good for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2024 10:46 PM

Mikal Gilmore's book about his brother, Gary Gilmore: Shot in the Heart.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2024 10:48 PM

"Serpentine" by Thomas Thompson

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2024 10:52 PM

[quote]It stands out because it's the better book.

See, I don't agree. Bundy, although unusual in that his crimes were committed in multiple states, and his Florida rampage was certainly dramatic (and his love of the spotlight up until his execution certainly helped), was just another serial killer praying on women. It works because not only did Rule know him, but she had other connections to the story, such as being a sister in Chi Omega herself.

By contrast, Diane Downs is a female family annihilator. Those are incredibly rare, and the only other one I can think of is Susan Smith.

Anyway, while my pick is still Columbine, I will also throw in for Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven, which talks about murders in a fundamentalist Mormon branch (not the same one that Warren Jeffs lead).

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2024 10:54 PM

People Who Eat Darkness, by Richard Lloyd Parry, about the disappearance and murder of an English girl working as a hostess in Japan. I also really liked Underground, about the Tokyo subway gas attack, by Haruki Murakami.

The Stranger Beside me was tighter crime writing, but Small Sacrifices the more interesting story.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2024 11:01 PM

[Quote] Anyway, while my pick is still Columbine,

A fantastic book that dispels myths and clearly explains why the massacre happened.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2024 11:07 PM

[quote]Jon Krakauer's Under the Banner of Heaven, which talks about murders in a fundamentalist Mormon branch

Andrew Garfield stars in the Hulu miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2024 11:10 PM

R16, that's when it takes place.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2024 11:11 PM

Killer Clown: The John Wayne Gacy Murders

I just finished it last week... Terribly sad and gruesome. I couldn't put it down. I finished it in like two days.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2024 11:14 PM

[quote] was just another serial killer praying on women.

You yourself wrote an entire paragraph about the unusual aspects of the Bundy case and then conclude it was just another anodyne serial killer story? Makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2024 11:32 PM

I remember enjoying Echoes in the Darkness but barely remember any details.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2024 12:04 AM

thank you

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2024 12:09 AM

American Kingpin by Nick Bilton is a great true crime book if you like to read about technology related crimes.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2024 12:12 AM

Killer: A Journal of Murder. By Thomas Gaddis. About notorious serial killer Carl Panzram.

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2024 12:16 AM

R30, I grew up in the vicinity of that story. For a short span I was pen pals with William Bradfield, Jr.

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2024 12:18 AM

33 replies and no one mentions Helter Skelter?!!! It freaked me and all my teen friends out. A close second is In Cold Blood.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2024 12:19 AM

[R23], Chris Watts comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2024 12:27 AM

R35 Read the OP not just the headline. All will be explained.

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2024 12:28 AM

Thanks, R37, for pointing out my stupidity and doing it very kindly.

- R35

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2024 12:34 AM

Fatal Vision as someone already mentioned is a really good one.

It’s funny, but I’ve read that book several times now and somehow I missed just how miserable Jeff and Colette’s life was. McGinniss quotes Jeff extensively describing his life with Colette, but it was only when I re-read the book a few months ago that it penetrated fully. He just kind of dragged her and their first born around like a U-Haul. He wanted to live his life as a single man from the college years on so he basically did.

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2024 12:55 AM

Fictionalized but a page turner all the same

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2024 12:57 AM

I really liked LAST CALL, by Elon Green.

As well as R40's choice, which I know is fictionalized but was interesting to me.

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2024 12:57 AM

Fatal Vision by Joe McGuinness

Devil in the White City by Erik Larsson

Final Cut by Steven Bach about how Michael Cimino murdered United Artists

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2024 1:07 AM

Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe. It's mainly about the disappearance and murder of young mother but there's a lot of detail about what it was like to live in Belfast in the 1970s. I thought the Irish-American Keefe was a little too credulous and understanding when it came to the sectarian violence but it's still very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2024 1:15 AM

Compulsion by Ira Levin. Fictionalized but compelling take on Leopold and Loeb gay teenage thrill killers.

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2024 1:17 AM

Shanna Hogan wrote some great books: Picture Perfect (about Jodi Arias), Dancing With Death (about Marjorie Orbin), and The Stranger She Loved (about Dr. Martin MacNeill)

The Perfect Father by John Glatt. It's about Chris Watts and made Shanana look like a controlling, evil bitch.

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2024 1:32 AM

R45, I haven’t read Glatt’s book, and Chris Watts is obviously about as vile as one can get…but I wouldn’t have lasted one day with his wife.

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2024 1:38 AM

R15, agree on Fatal Vision. I first read it in high school in the 80s, then again this year. It holds up. Joe McGinnis was very unjustly pilloried by Janet Malcolm for his relationship with Jeffrey McDonald.

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2024 1:38 AM

R43, I just started that one. Apparently it's going to be a Netflix series next month.

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2024 1:42 AM

Embarrassingly, I seem to conflate McGinnis and Wambaugh… were they both accused of planting evidence?

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2024 1:43 AM

I finally read Compulsion earlier this year and found it rather plodding and boring.

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2024 2:51 AM

If you read Fatal Vision, get McGinniss' sequel, an e-book called Final Vision (which also became a tv movie in 2017), where he answers all the crazy theories and charges that he made errors that had come up in the aftermath of the publishing and miniseries of Fatal Vision.

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2024 3:00 AM

Did McGinniss end up thinking that McDonald was guilty or not?

by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2024 3:20 AM

Not her best, but I really liked Bitter Harvest by Ann Rule. It was about a batshit doctor in Kansas City named Debora Green. When her husband filed for divorce, she slowly poisoned him with risin, and he almost died. Later, she set her house on fire with her three kids inside (only one managed to escape). Before she accepted a plea bargain, her trial strategy was to blame her dead 13 year old son for starting the fire.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2024 3:54 AM

If you like true crime AND 1960's / counterculture stuff, be sure to read these three excellent books:

The Unicorn's Secret: Murder in the Age of Aquarius by Steven Levy - about the murder of Holly Maddux by her truly evil boyfriend, Ira Einhorn, one of the founders of Earth Day.

For the Hell of It: The Life and Times of Abbie Hoffman by Jonah Raskin - the reason I am including this in a thread about true crime is because of the way Abbie successfully adopted a new public identity for years and years-- in leftist circles! People don't know what they don't WANT to know. Fascinating story.

Rads: The 1970 Bombing of the Army Math Research Center at the University of Wisconsin and Its Aftermath by Tom Bates - paranoid hippies on the run after accidentally killing someone.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2024 4:03 AM

In His Garden by Leo Damore and I third "Until the Twelfth of Never by Bella Stumbo.

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2024 5:00 AM

McGinniss was hired by Jeffrey MacDonald to write a book proving his innocence. He later became convinced that MacDonald was guilty and the book supported MacDonald's conviction.

by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2024 5:23 AM

My favorite genre after modern Presidential history. I've read, e.g., every book on the OJ case bar defense ones; every Jon Benet one; dozens of JFK assassination tomes; Lindbergh baby, Robert Marshall, Bundy, etc.

Without question my choice is "Fatal Vision" by Joe McGinniss. The definitive work on family-annihilator Capt. Jeffrey MacDonald.

by Anonymousreply 57October 21, 2024 5:34 AM

Well, r35, I am not kind. You are stupid.

by Anonymousreply 58October 21, 2024 5:39 AM

R53 I agree about Bitter Harvest. I did my High School English Literature project on this and several other books about crime

by Anonymousreply 59October 21, 2024 6:23 AM

Killing For Company by Brian Masters, an account of the murders of serial killer Dennis Nilsen. It was a serious attempt to understand the psychology behind the killings and was very engrossing, if disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 60October 21, 2024 8:17 AM

Autumn of Terror by Tom Cullen. All you need to know about Jack the Ripper.

by Anonymousreply 61October 21, 2024 10:19 AM

You should check out the miniseries Des if you haven't seen it, r60

by Anonymousreply 62October 21, 2024 10:32 AM

My recollection of Columbine - which left me depressed for weeks - is that Harris was psychopathic and Klebold an unstable and rageful borderline personality. And that it was the combination of those two disorders that produced the violence.

by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2024 10:50 AM

As a student in London in the 80s I was friends with a woman from North London and we once visited her mother for dinner, the mother was wracked with guilt as a young man had arrived at the shelter for homeless persons she worked at and she had not been able to accommodate him, I think due to lack of beds, and he ended up at Nilssen's home and was killed.

by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2024 11:05 AM

It's not a book but I'd say Pretty Woman. The depiction of prostitution really made an impression on me.

by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2024 11:11 AM

Yes, obviously you're not, R58. Have a blessed day.

by Anonymousreply 66October 21, 2024 11:17 AM

R58 here, r66. I am very sorry. I really don't know WTH I got on such a high horse, especially as if I mentioned all the ways recently I have owned the opprobrium you would change your post, deservedly, to "Bless your heart." (Unless it's the same?)

Anyway, as I find myself often saying, "Don't mind me."

by Anonymousreply 67October 21, 2024 11:25 AM

My top favorites (Fatal Vision, Evidence of Love, The 12th of Never, and The Stranger Beside Me) have all been named, so I'll give an honorary mention to Son of Grifter by Kent Walker - Sante Kimes' OTHER son.

It's a fascinating, behind the scenes look at a completely psychotic fantasist who even her closest family could not truly know.

by Anonymousreply 68October 21, 2024 12:08 PM

I read a ton of Anne Rule true crime books a few winters ago. They all blurred together for me but were all interesting.

by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2024 12:13 PM

Another vote for Under the Banner of Heaven.

by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2024 12:29 PM

So many really good books!

by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2024 12:33 PM

I have not read Say Nothing but I remember Patrick Radden Keefe looking rather handsome.

by Anonymousreply 72October 21, 2024 2:26 PM

I highly recommend it if you're interested in learning more about the conflict in Northern Ireland, r72. He manages to include a lot of information without becoming tedious or incomprehensible.

by Anonymousreply 73October 21, 2024 2:49 PM

I read "I'll Be Gone In The Dark" straight-thru one day, which I never do (I'm a slow reader). Every little sound I heard while reading made me twitch. I just knew the GSK had escaped and was crawling through the window.

by Anonymousreply 74October 21, 2024 3:05 PM

R62,

I have seen it. David Tennant was quite startling in the role.

I lived in London throughout the 90s, and Nilsen’s crimes were a recent memory. I had a friend who took crazy risks, getting stupefied on drink and going home with guys. He would wake up not knowing where he was. I was always scared he would end up coming to harm. No amount of nagging him made any difference. Thankfully he’s sober now.

by Anonymousreply 75October 21, 2024 3:18 PM

Mary J Blige: The Making of a Star

by Anonymousreply 76October 21, 2024 3:26 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of Ann Rule, mostly because of her gross inaccuracies in her Green River Killer book, but Small Sacrifices is a s good as a true crime book gets.

by Anonymousreply 77October 21, 2024 4:17 PM

A few of my favorites have been listed as well, but I'll two more, one older and one more recent:

"Remembering Satan" by Lawrence Wright, the longtime New Yorker reporter. A grim, fascinating look at the ritual abuse/recovered memory phenomenon of the early '90s, told through the story of a sheriff's deputy in Olympia, Washington who was accused of ghastly crimes by several of his daughters. Novelistic.

"Chaos" by Tom O'Neill, about the Manson family murders with a particular focus on all the conspiracies that have swirled around possible connections between Manson and the CIA. O'Neill spent decades reporting this story on an off, he makes his own story part of the narrative, and somehow it all works. One of my favorite reads of the last couple years.

by Anonymousreply 78October 21, 2024 4:55 PM

[quote]I'm not the biggest fan of Ann Rule, mostly because of her gross inaccuracies in her Green River Killer book

Green River, Running Red is exactly the reason I’m not her biggest fan.

by Anonymousreply 79October 21, 2024 4:59 PM

I can't remember the title but it stayed with me. Club kids, one was murdered and chopped in pieces and I think he got away with it.I want to say it had some connection with Studio 54.

by Anonymousreply 80October 21, 2024 5:04 PM

Ann Rule likes to lick the cops shitters to help her get details for her book. Normally that works out great for her. However, the truth is, the Green River Killer was able to kill a lot longer than he should have been simply because of the incompetence of the police.

by Anonymousreply 81October 21, 2024 5:11 PM

On Club Kids. Little known fact: son of the novelist Paul Auster, Daniel Auster, was in the apartment at the time of the murder - he was 18 at the time, and he died of a drug overdose in 2022

[quote]Daniel’s role in the grisly slaying at Apartment 3K at the Riverbank West complex, however, has always been shrouded in mystery and little-known to the public. Daniel and Alig, who became known as the “Club Kid Killer,” had been lovers for a time before the Melendez murder, according to one of Alig’s former Club Kid friends, James St. James.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82October 21, 2024 5:23 PM

[quote] he truth is, the Green River Killer was able to kill a lot longer than he should have been simply because of the incompetence of the police

True for a majority of cases, not just this one.

by Anonymousreply 83October 21, 2024 5:42 PM

What was wrong with Green River Running Red please?

by Anonymousreply 84October 21, 2024 5:55 PM

Son: A Psychopath and His Victims by Jack Olsen. He has several good TC books, but this one stuck with me the most. About a serial rapist with major mommy issues.

In a rather different vein, Mr. Nice by Howard Marks, his memoir of life as an international marijuana/hash smuggler. Very gripping, reads like a thriller.

by Anonymousreply 85October 21, 2024 5:59 PM

No worries, R67. I really appreciate your apology. We all have our not so great moments. I have had mine especially lately. Take care.

- R66

by Anonymousreply 86October 21, 2024 8:01 PM

Jack Olsen is really good.

by Anonymousreply 87October 21, 2024 8:02 PM

I do not need to read about true crime when I can stand inside my home and look outside to see true crime. Thank you very much.

by Anonymousreply 88October 21, 2024 8:32 PM

R88, what do you read?

by Anonymousreply 89October 22, 2024 12:25 AM

I really like a lot of Jeffrey Toobin’s non-fiction. Talk about deep-dives.

by Anonymousreply 90October 22, 2024 12:39 AM

[quote]What was wrong with Green River Running Red please?

She spends an inordinate amount of time basically fellating the guy who just happened to be Sheriff when Ridgway was arrested and basically took credit for solving the case, even though most of the investigative work happened before he was in office. He also served a few terms in Congress (as a Republican, of course) whose platform was essentially "I caught the Green River Killer."

by Anonymousreply 91October 22, 2024 12:52 AM

R80 The title was Disco Bloodbath, by James St. James.

by Anonymousreply 92October 22, 2024 1:24 AM

R1 I came to say that. Still is my favorite true crime. Now his crimes seem so piddly and the fact he got executed is no big deal anymore either, but what a great book. Larry Schiller of course went on to do the JonBenet book.

by Anonymousreply 93October 22, 2024 1:59 AM

No "Oh dear" for R23? Preying on women, not praying. I agree, "Small Sacrifices" is the best Ann Rule book.

R39 Oh yeah, I agree about Fatal Vision too. I think about that case a lot. I was watching some murder show and the cops had taken evidence and were giving it back. It reminded me of the valentines Jeff McDonald's kids made him, for some reason they wound up with McGinnis after the cops released things back, Jeff didn't want them, he didn't want the last gift his slaughtered kids had made him. Yes, he hired McGinnis to hang out with him during the trial and write a book that he was sure would exonerate, unfortunately, McGinnis slowly realized Jeff was guilty and a psychopath.

The Chris Watts book mentioned was also great, "My Daddy is a Hero" or whatever it was called. Yeah Sha'nann was a big pain in the ass. I've been on a Chris Lilley kick this week and started with "Angry Boys" and ended with "Ja'mie; Private School girl" and every time any adult called her "Jamie" instead of Ja'mie, it reminded me of Sha'nann and her stupid affectation with her name, but her parents just called her Shanann.

by Anonymousreply 94October 22, 2024 2:13 AM

R94, Chris Lilley is the best! Which is the series where he plays the Asian skateboarder?

by Anonymousreply 95October 22, 2024 2:18 AM

R95 Angry Boys! I just bought it. Tim and Jen Okazaki are the skater and his mom. Yes, he's a genius. And drama teacher Mr. G on "Summer Heights High" is perfect.

"Say you Love Satan" was another great one, with Ricky Kasso, who hanged himself in jail after being arrested for the murder.

Enjoy this PSA from S'mouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96October 22, 2024 2:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!