Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

81-year-old votes for 1st time, says it's 'never, ever' too late

[quote]ByYi-Jin Yu

[quote] An 81-year-old Georgia woman voted for the first time in Covington on Oct. 16, one day after early voting began in Newton County.

[quote]Betty Cartledge told "Good Morning America" she and her late husband had never voted before, but this year, things changed. She said her husband died in April 2023, and now that she was on her own, she had started noticing the high cost of living more and more, and felt motivated to vote for change.

[quote]As early voting starts in Georgia, judge rules to guard against rogue election officials When Cartledge's niece Wanda Moore suggested she help her register to vote, Cartledge said she jumped at the chance.

[quote]"I can't read and write," Cartledge explained. "I just thought, well, then I can't go in and do that. I ain't got nobody to help me. But now I have, I got somebody to help me, to read it, to make sure I'm doing the right thing."

[quote] Betty Cartledge, 81, voted for the first time on Oct. 16, 2024 at LifePointe Church of Nazaren...Show more Cartledge and Moore both voted at Covington Mills Precinct at LifePointe Church of Nazarene, and Cartledge said it went smoothly.

[quote]"We went in and she told the lady I couldn't read and write, and she told her what to do," Cartledge recalled. "And I went over there, and I done it on my own. I done my own voting. I had nobody tell me who to vote for or what. She just showed me, read everything to me, and then I voted."

[quote]"I thought it was amazing," Cartledge added. "I just feel so good doing something for America."

[quote]Nearly 9 million have cast ballots as early voting starts across the US [quote]Moore, 65, said she has been voting in every presidential election since 1976 but accompanying her aunt to vote for the first time turned out to be the most meaningful voting experience for her so far.

[quote]"It was very, very touching because I think that's something that she had wanted to do all of her life but never had the opportunity to," Moore told "GMA." "And once she got the opportunity to, she thought it was a great, great thing, and it was great watching her."

[quote]Both Cartledge and Moore said they encourage fellow Americans to vote, even if they are unable to read or write like Cartledge or have any disability.

[quote]"Talk to [friends and family] and see if they'll help you out and go out there and do it. Do it for America. Do it for your country," Cartledge said, adding that it's "never, ever" too late to vote.

[quote]"It's very important for people that don't have the ability to read and write to know that their vote counts too. It's not an impossible thing," Moore said. "It's a very easy process, and all they have to do is have someone that will go with them and read to them and let them check their own boxes."

[quote]Cartledge said she hopes to vote again in the future.

[quote]"If I'm here next year, four years from now, I will be back," she said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2024 4:35 PM

But who'd she vote FOR?

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2024 9:41 PM

R1 lol I'm guessing Trump, but she was probably advised by the niece to keep quiet.

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2024 9:42 PM

I'm guessing she voted for Trump. She got all fired up seeing Kamala Harris running for POTUS and had to put a stop to that shit.

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2024 9:47 PM

I registered to vote for the first time and I'm in my 60s. If that monster does get elected it's not going to be my fault.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2024 9:48 PM

Well, sounds like you didn't vote in the 2016 election when Trump DID get elected.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2024 9:50 PM

I'm betting the husband was a very conservative Christian who was opposed to women voting. Since she is unable to read or write, he figured she was never going to be able to register and vote behind his back.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2024 9:52 PM

Born in America and illiterate? She would have gone to school in the 40s or 50s.

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2024 9:53 PM

This woman is the same age as Biden and Pelosi is a few years older than her. This woman may have grown up in area where education wasn't prioritized.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2024 9:59 PM

R5. Honestly, I didn't think he'd win in 2016. Now I'm not so sure. And I'm scared. So I'm voting.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2024 10:00 PM

She looks like shit for 80. My great aunt is 101 and looks younger than that thing

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2024 10:40 PM

So the person reading her the ballot could have said anything and she wouldn't have known the difference. I know literacy tests are unconstitutional, but...

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 11:44 PM

quote] [R5]. Honestly, I didn't think he'd win in 2016. Now I'm not so sure. And I'm scared. So I'm voting.

But you weren’t scared in 2020 and decided to sit it out?

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 11:49 PM

Since she can’t read or write I have no doubt she voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 11:57 PM

[quote]Since she can’t read or write I have no doubt she voted for Trump.

Since she's a working class person, it's a good assumption.

by Anonymousreply 14October 21, 2024 12:01 AM

[quote] "I can't read and write," Cartledge explained.

You’re perfect! Welcome to MAGA!

by Anonymousreply 15October 21, 2024 12:04 AM

[quote] She said her husband died in April 2023, and now that she was on her own, she had started noticing the high cost of living more and more, and felt motivated to vote for change. [/quote]

She didn't notice the high cost of living until her husband died in April 2023, or at least that's what she said, so she'd blame whoever was president then and since, and that's Biden. So vote "for change" - the other party. Trump.

She's probably been watching Fox, too. Or listening to the folks at her church (Nazarene churches are definitely evangelical).

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2024 3:49 AM

I love the poorly educated!

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2024 3:56 AM

Lots of people are unaware of the low high school graduation rates in the early and mid 20th century. The high school graduation rate in Georgia for women in 1950 was 28%. Odds are this woman may have only gone to first grade if she went to school at all.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2024 8:13 AM

We'll never know if Trump actually won fairly in 2016. But he certainly lost bigly in 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2024 9:35 AM

Definitely voted for Trump. But considering her age, she probably tried to vote for Franklin Roosevelt.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2024 4:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!