Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Making standard gravy

If you are all out of vegetable stock what can you use in the pantry to just make regular gravy I plan to pour over white rice.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 11:17 PM

You add one cup of water to a package of brown gravy mix. Boil for a minute or 2.

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2024 8:12 PM

earrings

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2024 8:18 PM

caftans!

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2024 8:18 PM

gin, regret. . . . .

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2024 8:18 PM

R1 I had just plan to use flour and butter. No packaged gravy mixes here. I could have sworn I had vegetable or soup stock but I don’t and already started cooking, don’t feel like running to the grocery.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2024 8:18 PM

Just use water in the roasting pan you used to roast your meat and then add something to thicken it and then season. I’m assuming meat is involved.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2024 8:21 PM

A packet you buy at the store

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2024 8:23 PM

R6 I’m baking chicken. Single chicken legs.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2024 8:26 PM

You should keep Bisto on hand, but Marmite or Vegemite will add an umami flavor. Soy sauce as well.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2024 8:38 PM

I love graxy over rice. Yes, butter and flour with the drippings should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2024 9:22 PM

How would you normally make gravy, using vegetable stock?

Just make a white sauce. Flour, butter, milk. Why do you have to have a gravy?

Or use the pan drippings from your "single chicken legs." Add flour, water, and soy sauce.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 9:49 PM

Heard about you brown the flour in the skillet-adds flavor then add butted/drippings to make roux then liquid.

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 9:54 PM

If you’re a modern cook you should have a jar(s) of Better Than Boullion in the fridge at all times.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 10:02 PM

Don’t make a bechamel. If you don’t have stock you use water for normal gravy plus whatever is in the pan. Salt, pepper, thickening agent. Cornstarch and/or flour in water or roux or whatever you want.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2024 10:27 PM

White or brown gravy?

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2024 10:33 PM

Standard is brown.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2024 10:48 PM

Easy easy, OP.

Equal portions oil/butter and flour. Unless you're making for a large gathering, 1/2 cup oil + 1/2 cup flour will do.

Pour oil/butter on a large cast iron skillet or heavy saucepan over medium heat, then add flour. Turn heat to HIGH (if you know what you're doing; Med High if not), and STIR STIR STIR STIR, CONSTANTLY. You want to make a roux, not burn one.

When your roux is the color you want for your gravy, IMMEDIATELY remove from heat. If you haven't any chicken or beef broth or pan drippings, slowly stir in water or water/milk mix, continuing to stir constantly until no lumps remain. Season with salt, pepper, and whatever spice twangs your buds; I like throwing a few whole juniper berries in, or a smidgen of nutmeg.

And there you have it. This will work whether you want blonde gravy, regular brown gravy, or dark-brown base for gumbo.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2024 11:09 PM

Do you have any Campbell's Cream of Chicken or Cream of Mushroom soup in your pantry?

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2024 11:14 PM

Dog.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 11:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!