Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

THEATRE GOSSIP #573: The "How Are Things in Ricamora?" Edition

Blah, blah, blah ... worst title ever ... blah, blah, blah ... never enough real gossip ... blah, blah, blah ...

by Anonymousreply 119October 22, 2024 3:22 AM

Here's the previous thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2024 3:04 PM

Great thread title, OP!

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2024 3:10 PM

Ricamora is the worst part of Oh, Mary. Screaming at high-decibel level and he brings nothing to the role.

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2024 3:29 PM

I hope Erivo is better as Elphaba than she was as Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2024 3:57 PM

Will SUNSET get across-the-board raves?

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2024 4:07 PM

[quote]Will SUNSET get across-the-board raves?

I dunno. I was talking with a friend earlier today and we both commented that, so far, people seem to either love it or HATE it, with no real middle ground.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2024 4:25 PM

[quote]How Are Things in Ricamora

Moist and welcoming, one hopes.

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2024 4:31 PM

R5 I loved the show and, if I were rich, I would go many times. I expect the reviews to be mostly positive and a few negatives. I hope NS gets the Tony though.I know that there are many shows yet to open but I doubt we will be able to attend an exciting performance as SB is, at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2024 4:32 PM

OP, the request was to fashion the comment into a thread title, not copy and paste it.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2024 4:34 PM

It's only October. The only sure thing so far far is Frances Jue's Tony for Best Featured Actor.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2024 4:37 PM

From the New York Times obit for Mitzi Gaynor:

[quote]The role of Nellie Forbush, a World War II Navy nurse and (in the words of a song lyric) a “cockeyed optimist” in Rodgers and Hammerstein’s hit 1949 Broadway musical, had been originated and defined by Mary Martin. But when it came time to cast the 1958 movie of “South Pacific,” some considered Ms. Martin too old (she was in her 40s) and perhaps too strong-voiced for any actor who might be cast opposite her. (Ezio Pinza, her Broadway co-star, had died.)

No. Martin was unquestionably too old for the tole by the time the movie was made, as it's a major plot point of SOUTH PACIFIC that Emile de Becque is considerably older than Nellie, who is realistically supposed to be in her very early 20s. And that bit about her being "perhaps too strong-voiced for any actor who might be cast opposite her" is utter nonsense, especially considering that opera star Giorgio Tozzi wound up dubbing Rossano Brazzi's singing in the film..

I'm sure the real reasons why Martin wasn't cast in the film were (1) her age, and (2) though she had made several films when she was younger, she really was not very photogenic (and was certainly less photogenic in 1957-58 than she had been when she made those earlier films).

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 4:37 PM

R9, shut the hell up.

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 4:39 PM

Too old?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 4:40 PM

Everything is relative, R13 :-) That said, Close was WAY too old for the role by any standard.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2024 4:44 PM

R10, in what?

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2024 4:46 PM

I would love to see Francis Jue win a Tony. It's great when true theater stalwarts get rewarded (like Deidre O'Connell) for giving decades of excellent performances, even though stardom (and recognition) somehow escapes them. It's better than seeing someone like Scarlett Johansson win one.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2024 4:49 PM

Alyssa Milano seems to be out of Chicago quite a bit during her very limited run. What's the dirt?

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2024 4:51 PM

She still needs three days a week to bitch on the internet about Shannen Doherty.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2024 4:53 PM

It’s a low bar, OP. But you managed to reach it.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 5:05 PM

I'm considering seeing Oh, Mary! but not at extortionist prices. I'm not feeling any rush to see it.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2024 5:12 PM

I only paid $138 for my “Oh, Mary!” ticket a couple of weeks ago which is nowhere near an extortionist price. Slightly obstructed view but it didn’t hamper my enjoyment at all.

Where are you looking for tickets, R20?

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2024 5:15 PM

Honestly, R21, I haven't started looking. I used to be on TDF and should probably rejoin. Otherwise, I'm happy to hear where you got your tickets. That's a fair price.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2024 5:18 PM

R22, I used vividseats.com. I purchased my ticket three weeks in advance.

Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2024 5:24 PM

Francis and Randy are lovely people

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2024 5:28 PM

Thanks, R23!

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2024 5:28 PM

I’ve read a lot of posters saying they didn’t like Conrad’s performance. The off broadway award committees are nominating though!

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2024 6:19 PM

Isn't Francis Jue's play YELLOW FACE closing next month? As deserving as he might be, I can't imagine he won't be mostly forgotten by Tony voters by June. Unless it's a really slim category.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2024 9:54 PM

I’m just so glad to see a modicum of order restored here with the restoration of THEATRE in the title. Thanks, OP.

Now if only the wider DL population can get it through their thick skulls that the correct title format for those who’ve croaked is (insert name here) is DEAD to me!

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2024 10:18 PM

YELLOW FACE is the best play so far this year.

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2024 10:44 PM

Not much competition though, eh?

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2024 10:55 PM

That not being the point, but go on…

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2024 10:59 PM

Add me to the chorus of people who didn't care for Conrad's very shouty performance in Oh, Mary! It's already... basically... an 80-minute sketch comedy scene (once you accept that, you can sit back and just enjoy the silliness), but having Conrad shout constantly is annoying and loses any comic impact it should have. He's been indulged (or poorly directed), because I've seen him give fine performances elsewhere.

I also agree with R21 - the far side orchestra seating, while, technically partial view, is absolutely fine for this show. You barely miss anything. I also got a ticket for an otherwise completely sold out performance in the 'partial view' orchestra side and paid $140. Note: I was on house right. I ASSUME that if you're 'partial view' on house left you will miss some of Cole while he's burying himself into a chaise lounge that's placed far up stage right.

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2024 11:08 PM

Though I have my doubts whether or not OPERATION MINCEMEAT will attract NY audiences, there's that male actor who plays the older female secretary (as well as a slew of other roles) who could be a leading contender against Jue for Best Featured Actor come June.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2024 11:34 PM

I was just thinking....there are relatively few British/Irish plays coming to Broadway this season compared to earlier seasons. But then thinking back on what I've seen in London in the past year or two, there aren't any that I think should transfer to Broadway. I wouldn't have even thought Hills of California deserved a transfer.

Not a play, but I did love Old Friends, the Sondheim revue in the West End, and I'm thrilled it's coming to NY. I might need to see that one again. Big surprise, I went in not expecting it to be such a joyous experience and I think with NY actors replacing most of the British actors, it'll be even better.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2024 11:40 PM

Well, of course another Sondheim revue is coming to Broadway.

r34: How is this any different from the many others?

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2024 11:50 PM

Please don’t compare the Brits and the Irish.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2024 11:53 PM

I'll probably see Old Friends because I love Sondheim and, although her voice is diminished, how many more opportunities will we have to hear Bernadette sing on a Broadway stage? But, I'm glad that they're casting mostly American actors along with her. I was not a fan of most of what was captured on the Old Friends broadcast. I don't know what it is, but British actors just seem to be more 'miss' than 'hit' when it comes to Sondheim. Everything's so... underlined and hammy.... must be all the pantomime they were raised on. I want that wry, knowing, Manhattanite sensibility reinfused into these songs when it plays NY.

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2024 12:05 AM

[quote]Now if only the wider DL population can get it through their thick skulls that the correct title format for those who’ve croaked is (insert name here) is DEAD to me!

Wow! I don't think that most DL-ers were aware of the most tiresome and overused trope on this site!

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2024 12:20 AM

You’d be surprised, theze dayz…

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2024 12:35 AM

R33 Operation Mincemeat is a musical....

by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2024 1:29 AM

Theatermania is the first SB review out:

From the first moment Jamie Lloyd’s sensational new production of Sunset Boulevard, when antihero Joe Gillis unzips himself from a body bag to sing the opening number, to the curtain call, when the actors receive a thunderous standing ovation completely stone-faced, you get the sense that the British auteur director absolutely hates this show. Every single choice is made with a wink and a twinkle, all in service of exposing how ridiculous it is. In doing so, Lloyd has somehow managed to create a giddily thrilling revival, with star Nicole Scherzinger delivering one of the greatest performances I’ve ever seen as a psychotic Norma Desmond for the TikTok era.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2024 1:55 AM

Thanks, mom

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2024 2:01 AM

Good for her!

What’s coming in 25-26?

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2024 2:11 AM

The Queen of Versailles and the Waiting for Godot revival with Keanu Reeves & Alex Winter.

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2024 2:16 AM

I wasn’t actually asking…

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2024 2:25 AM

Tonight's performance of Shit.Meet.Fan. was cancelled due to a "non-Covid related illness". It should be interesting to see how MCC deals with this situation, given the show is pretty much sold out.

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2024 2:33 AM

THR review:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2024 2:40 AM

NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2024 2:42 AM

Green is decidedly mixed.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2024 2:44 AM

No Critic’s Pick?! OUCH.

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2024 2:53 AM

I know there are months left in the season, but I'm curious. As of right now, there are four Shubert theaters that are going to be vacant this winter-spring (Imperial, Jones, Lyceum, and Music Box). There's also five shows promised to Shubert theaters that still need a house (Glengarry Glen Ross, Good Night, and Good Luck, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Real Women Have Curves, and Smash).

The Booth, Broadhurst, Barrymore, Golden, Majestic and Schoenfeld already have their next tenants lined up. The Belasco and Longacre have shows that could last the season. That just leaves the Ambassador, Broadway, Jacobs, Shubert, and Winter Garden.

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2024 2:56 AM

Whatever happened to the show must go on. I remember seeing an early preview of Death and the Maiden where Glenn Close's standby went on with the script. Canceling back then was out of the question. A Chorus Line played a performance during flu season with key cast members missing and not enough understudies so some roles were cut and others were combined. Why? Because the audience must not be disappointed. Shit. Meet. Fan has understudies. Why cancel?

by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2024 2:57 AM

The theatre landlords have gotten wise to Stro after Left on 10th began those horrible previews and are not giving her a theater for Smash. They all want something that will run for more than 2 months.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2024 3:01 AM

Well, r52, the play is no longer the thing. It's all about the stars and if the stars aren't in these days, the audiences want their money back. Pretty simple actually.

by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2024 3:02 AM

Wow—a scathingly brilliant review. It won’t impact the box office or other critical commentary; but, as a stand-alone piece, the writing is great. Better than the show deserves. He hoists this version on its own petard. A good read.

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2024 3:10 AM

I would characterize Green's review as decidedly a pan, not decidedly mixed.

Not that it will matter for all those who want to see this tripe at ridiculous prices.

by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2024 3:19 AM

[quote]Is the music bombastic? Bomb the audience’s ears with it. (Adam Fisher’s sound design seems to include microphones lodged in the actors’ intestines.)

by Anonymousreply 57October 21, 2024 3:21 AM

[QUOTE] Wow—a scathingly brilliant review. It won’t impact the box office or other critical commentary; but, as a stand-alone piece, the writing is great. Better than the show deserves. He hoists this version on its own petard. A good read.

Which review? Several have been posted.

by Anonymousreply 58October 21, 2024 3:25 AM

Mole on the ballsac!

by Anonymousreply 59October 21, 2024 3:27 AM

^ for the naked men on this site folks

by Anonymousreply 60October 21, 2024 3:30 AM

Tracy Letts is on The Simpsons.

by Anonymousreply 61October 21, 2024 3:43 AM

I still maintain that Tammy Faye will flop and The Queen of Versailles will get the theater it wants-the Palace. I think it’s looking more and more that Kristin Chenoweth could indeed win the Tony over Nicole, Idina, Audra and Megan.

by Anonymousreply 62October 21, 2024 4:20 AM

Has the rest of the Old Friends Broadway cast been announced?

by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2024 4:26 AM

Mitzi! They may recast the role.

by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2024 4:28 AM

R62, I thought THE QUEEN OF VERSAILLES delayed till next season not because the theater they wanted wasn't available, but because the creators recognize the show needs more work. Am I wrong about that?

by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2024 4:31 AM

R63 - No. No one other than the headliners (Bernadette and Lea Salonga) have been confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 66October 21, 2024 4:41 AM

From the NYT review of SUNSET:

[quote]The revival is not, like “Cats: The Jellicle Ball” this summer, a completely new way of looking at a Lloyd Webber musical; it’s a completely new way of not looking at one.

That sounds like a clever observation on first reading, but I think it's at least partly untrue, as "Cats: The Jellicle Ball" could also be described as a completely new way of NOT looking at a Lloyd Webber musical.

by Anonymousreply 67October 21, 2024 4:43 AM

[quote]r67 = but I think it's at least partly untrue

I don't.

by Anonymousreply 68October 21, 2024 4:47 AM

R67 and you’d be wrong

by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2024 4:54 AM

[quote]Because the audience must not be disappointed.

Ha!

by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2024 5:08 AM

Green's take on the movie "Sunset Boulevard" ("The 1950 film, directed by Billy Wilder, stands at a wry remove from these tawdry proceedings, with a cool appreciation but no embrace for human pathos and the hysteria of Hollywood dreams. Norma is a drama queen, Joe a gigolo, Betty a simp and Max a goblin. We know nothing of their emotions beyond what their actions show us.") seems very short-sighted to me. Wilder's direction, the cinematography, the score, and, particularly, the brilliant performances all work together to reveal much about the characters' emotions "beyond what their actions show us." Much of what is revealed very much embraces human pathos, and not "with a cool appreciation" or "a a wry remove."

by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2024 5:35 AM

It's a *very* cynical movie, r71. I actually don't find much pathos in it which is why I didn't think it would make a very good musical.

by Anonymousreply 72October 21, 2024 5:51 AM

[quote]The singing, too, is excellent and, even better, two of the tackiest songs (“The Lady’s Paying” and “Eternal Youth”) have been cut. I wish more were.

Hahahahaha!

by Anonymousreply 73October 21, 2024 5:57 AM

Is it true that Nicole leaves the theatre with the makeup on, too? A bit much, don't we think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74October 21, 2024 9:21 AM

R51, Dorian Gray is going to the Music Box.

by Anonymousreply 75October 21, 2024 9:57 AM

No, r74, I don't think it's too much.

by Anonymousreply 76October 21, 2024 10:18 AM

Is that even when she leaves the theatre? Seems more likely it's when VIPs come back and get their photo taken on the stage

by Anonymousreply 77October 21, 2024 10:23 AM

Groff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78October 21, 2024 11:41 AM

Before clicking on r78 to see more photos, just know that the only photo of Groff "as" Bobby Darin is the one you can already see.

by Anonymousreply 79October 21, 2024 1:05 PM

Conrad Ricamora takes temporary leave from ‘Oh, Mary!’ due to injury:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80October 21, 2024 1:28 PM

12 Broadway Stars' Favorite Restaurants In NYC:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81October 21, 2024 1:30 PM

[quote]I’m just so glad to see a modicum of order restored here with the restoration of THEATRE in the title. Thanks, OP.

If I recall, the very first gossip thread was spelled 'theater,' but it was changed to 'theatre' sometime along the way.

by Anonymousreply 82October 21, 2024 1:39 PM

[quote]The singing, too, is excellent and, even better, two of the tackiest songs (“The Lady’s Paying” and “Eternal Youth”) have been cut. I wish more were.

I don't understand the hate for those two songs.

Well, they're the same tune, but I've always enjoyed the witty lyrics.

And I thought they were essential to the story.

Is Joe no longer a gigolo and Norma no longer obsessed with being young?

by Anonymousreply 83October 21, 2024 1:42 PM

Bernadette's fave place is Orso, where she says she loves the pizza bread. Famous for eating almost nothing, this is hard to believe.

by Anonymousreply 84October 21, 2024 2:35 PM

If I had to lose one, I'd go with "Eternal Youth," but really, both it and "The Lady's Paying" should stay. They balance each other well, and also work alongside "Surrender."

by Anonymousreply 85October 21, 2024 2:50 PM

I don’t think Jesse Green’s review of “Sunset Boulevard” is wrong so much as beside the point. He as much admits is a really terrible show, so why not blow it up and enjoy the fireworks? I saw it in London, not here in NY (yet) but it won me over and it’s really a fun theatrical experience. It will be a word of mouth hit.

by Anonymousreply 86October 21, 2024 2:52 PM

NPH goes to Sardi's? WHY?

by Anonymousreply 87October 21, 2024 2:53 PM

His kids hate it

by Anonymousreply 88October 21, 2024 2:57 PM

The ticket prices for Groff as Bobby Darin are ridiculous. I saw Enemy Of The People for less.

by Anonymousreply 89October 21, 2024 3:01 PM

I declare that ‘Exit, Stage Right Even-The Snagglepuss Chronicles’ is the play to beat this Tony season! It’s the Cats meets Angels in America meets A Chorus Line trifecta we’ve all been waiting for!

by Anonymousreply 90October 21, 2024 3:05 PM

I have come to the decision to take a break from Broadway for at least a season. It's just like a drug--constantly searching for that great feeling, but being disappointed with each attempt. All the while, my bank account suffers.

The Bway advertising and shilling machine keeps on chugging: Not to be Missed!! Greatest EVER!!!

In reality, most of it is just meh, especially when one has seen so much Bway already.

Maybe a little break will allow me to enjoy some shows again.

by Anonymousreply 91October 21, 2024 3:06 PM

What Green got right was that Jamie Lloyd basically doesn’t give a shit about the material and actively discards, contradicts, and avoids it. And for those who think it is bad material, that’s either a good choice or a reason to pick another show.

by Anonymousreply 92October 21, 2024 3:06 PM

[quote] The ticket prices for Groff as Bobby Darin are ridiculous. I saw Enemy Of The People for less.

Honestly, casting Groff is that role is genius. Unfortunately, I don't care about either Groff or Darin

by Anonymousreply 93October 21, 2024 3:07 PM

R81 is posting from a 1988 Plabill back page.

by Anonymousreply 94October 21, 2024 3:29 PM

Your toupee is crooked.

by Anonymousreply 95October 21, 2024 3:48 PM

[quote]Whatever happened to the show must go on.

Good question! I never did find out how "Our American Cousin" ends.

by Anonymousreply 96October 21, 2024 6:12 PM

It ends with a BANG!

by Anonymousreply 97October 21, 2024 6:22 PM

Nancy Todd Lincoln- Sinatra: All-American girl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98October 21, 2024 6:24 PM

R33 I think I read somewhere that there is no guarantee that the British cast of OPERATION MINCEMEAT (some of whom created the show) will be allowed to perform it on Broadway. I just saw it in London last week and was blown away by it. The cast and the energy and the ingenuity of the script made it our favorite of the six shows we saw. Christian Andrews in a variety of roles (but especially as the elderly female secretary) was indeed the standout, but all of the cast members are great. We also enjoyed GUYS AND DOLLS, although I'm not sure much was added by making it immersive. The staging meant that some of the audience members in seats were forced to watch the backs of the actors for long stretches of time. We chose the standing room, and it was fun. The real revelation for me was Gina Beck, who was the first Sarah Brown I've seen who a knockout in the role. What a voice! Lovely soprano tones along the lines of Barbara Cook and Rebecca Luker, and she can belt too. George Ioannides was a very sexy Sky who revealed a nice fuzzy chest when Sarah ripped his shirt open. I wasn't crazy about some of Hytner's directorial choices, like having the Hot Box Girls use carrots as dildos during "A Bushel and a Peck" or having Sky dance with a group of openly gay guys in Havana. And I'm sorry we wasted an evening on A FACE IN THE CROWD. Mediocre book, score, and performances.

by Anonymousreply 99October 21, 2024 6:35 PM

Weren't some of the original cast of Operation Mincemeat also the creators of the show?

I would think that those few performers, at least, would be permitted to transfer with the show to Broadway. Also, the story and humor are so particularly British, it seems only right that they tell the story. I loved it, btw.

But I watched the great Netflix film, also called Operation Mincemeat, as a primer before seeing the musical on the West End, and I advise anyone else seeing it do the same for ultimate enjoyment and appreciation of the musical. It's a very complicated story and the song lyrics whiz by so quickly.....

by Anonymousreply 100October 21, 2024 9:47 PM

Oh, really, R69? I'd be "wrong?" You don't think CATS: THE JELLICLE BALL could arguably described as "a completely new way of NOT looking at a Lloyd Webber musical?" In some ways, I think it's very similar to the new SUNSET in that both productions throw out so much of what was essential to the original productions.

by Anonymousreply 101October 21, 2024 9:51 PM

I'm not r69, r101, but here's how I interpreted it. Jellicle re-frames CATS, but stays true to its material. Sunset's re-framing is at odds with its.

by Anonymousreply 102October 21, 2024 10:16 PM

[quote]Bernadette's fave place is Orso, where she says she loves the pizza bread. Famous for eating almost nothing, this is hard to believe.

Translation: She loves the aroma of the pizza bread, but worries that sniffing too much of it could cause her daily caloric intake to soar into the two digits.

by Anonymousreply 103October 21, 2024 10:25 PM

And I think that's a perfectly valid interpretation, R102, but I also think Green's phrasing could be applied to both productions.

by Anonymousreply 104October 21, 2024 11:08 PM

Who’s going to see Mandy Gonzalez as Norma tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 105October 21, 2024 11:51 PM

Awwwwwww .. Mimi

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106October 22, 2024 12:15 AM

Oh no! First Mitzi and now Mimi.

by Anonymousreply 107October 22, 2024 12:23 AM

Mamie Van Doren next?

by Anonymousreply 108October 22, 2024 12:29 AM

With added weight and years, Mimi looked like Roseanne.

RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109October 22, 2024 12:40 AM

[quote] Oh no! First Mitzi and now Mimi.

Or - first Maggie, then Mitzi, then Mimi.

by Anonymousreply 110October 22, 2024 12:41 AM

One of my favorites...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111October 22, 2024 12:45 AM

Re: Bernadette and her diet. I remember reading an interview with her sometime in the past 10 years or so in which she was detailing her daily routine while living in LA and between exercising twice daily and having a VERY restrictive diet it sounded... not exactly joyful. Hopefully she's letting herself enjoy things a little more now that she's well into her mid-70s.

I adore this woman. She's been one of my favorites since childhood and I don't say this to be a typical Datalounge cunt, but, someone in her circle has to tell her its time to retire the skintight Bob Mackie gowns she's been wearing in concert since at least the early 90s. She still looks phenomenal for her age, but, time comes for us all and the bingo wings and the not-quite-as-svelte figure don't suit those truly unforgiving Mackie designs. She's looked fabulous in gowns by other designers -- like Zac Posen.

by Anonymousreply 112October 22, 2024 12:56 AM

Folliesch!

by Anonymousreply 113October 22, 2024 12:59 AM

Mamie Van Doren should probably make sure her affairs are in order.

by Anonymousreply 114October 22, 2024 1:34 AM

Well, get set to see a coupla form-fitting gowns in “Old Friends,” R112.

by Anonymousreply 115October 22, 2024 2:17 AM

Sadly, but not surprisingly, the BroadwayWorld obit for Mimi Hines is so poorly written that it's an embarrassment. So much so that I won't link to it here.

by Anonymousreply 116October 22, 2024 2:28 AM

I will.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117October 22, 2024 2:37 AM

Once Bernadette said that as a treat she shared half a Kind bar with her assistant. (!)

by Anonymousreply 118October 22, 2024 2:40 AM

But the thing about Bernadette, kidding aside, she's never looked gaunt or anorexic. She's just always looked healthy and lovely.

by Anonymousreply 119October 22, 2024 3:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!