Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What to do in Columbus, OH?

I’ll be in Columbus the last week of October, and I need your recommendations.

What are the must-see spots and things to do? What’s the gay scene like - if there is one? I’m one of those so-called coastal gays who’s never set foot in the Midwest, so I'm ready to explore! I’d also love some snappy day trip ideas, especially if they lead to the Great Lakes.

Help a homo out! Thanks, xoxo!

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2024 3:24 AM

I did COSI back in the 80s but they've changed it so much.

The Scioto River area was nice when I went there about 20 years ago.

The Columbus Zoo is world renown.

The Short North is talked about a lot as is German Village.

The local orchestra is popular among some (but not by me).

The state capitol is there if you want to meet a bunch of right wind politicians that have taken over the state.

Route 315 is a scenic & winding road by a creek (or a small river?) that has been built up every decade.

Delaware county (the one north of the Columbus city's Franklin county) has been the fastest growing place in the state for a while now. I was there about a month ago but not long enough to get out anywhere. It sure has changed from when I was there about a decade ago. Lots of traffic & houses with LGBT pride flags on them. I don't recall seeing any the last time I was there (if that tells you anything).

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2024 7:45 AM

[quote]What to do in Columbus, OH?

Leave.

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2024 7:48 AM

The Billy Ireland Cartoon museum at OSU.

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2024 12:28 PM

I was there in April. Surprisingly there was little to do outside of the OSU area. German Village was quaint, a good restaurant (Schmidt's). Everyone at the conference was astounded that in the area there was no ATM, CVS, etc. There was a place called Club Diversity that was fun, very gay in character, but also a lot of straight people.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2024 12:55 PM

The Columbus Museum of Art is worth a visit.

A friend who moved there years ago says that Columbus is the opposite of "It's nice to visit but I wouldn't want to live there"—i.e. if you visit you might be at a loss for interesting things to do; the real quality of life doesn't emerge unless you do the everyday things. But as posters above said, spend time in German Village and the Short North. I like Goodale Park, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2024 1:09 PM

Columbus has zero culture outside OSU football. Get in a car and head up to Cleveland where there is more to do, other than going to gay bars.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2024 1:12 PM

BDF IN COLUMBUS!!! - No not that BDF - Bobs Discount Furniture! Go to their new store at the Polaris Towne Center and eat all the candy, ice cream and cookies for free in their cafe! Fat whores rejoice!

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2024 1:38 PM

Club Columbus is actually a really nice bathhouse. A couple of great play areas. Steam room that actually gets up a lot of steam, the hot tub is huge. The sauna is opposite the showers so you can sit there and watch all the hot guys lather up. In seadon they have a good outdoor pool. Lots of free parking. Decent gym too. Newer club too. It’s a freestanding structure that the Club built and is very well maintained.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2024 1:55 PM

I agree with R8 about the bathhouse. I was surprised.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2024 1:58 PM

Jump over to Springfield and have lunch.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2024 2:49 PM

Go to the Short North and German Village as someone else noted; fall is beautiful in Ohio - winter, not so much

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 6:18 PM

I’m getting the impression Columbus is a larger version of Indianapolis. Is this assessment wrong?

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 6:24 PM

r12 Start by telling us why you've come to this conclusion.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 6:45 PM

I mentioned Route 315 for Autumn leave changes but as curvy as it is, someone might be able to suggest another road for better scenic views at this time of year.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2024 7:24 PM

There's a lot of cornfed dick around OSU.

And Club Columbus can get hot. + as others noted it's a great facility.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2024 10:05 PM

meth.

by Anonymousreply 16October 21, 2024 12:46 AM

[quote] I’m getting the impression Columbus is a larger version of Indianapolis. Is this assessment wrong?

I don't know much about Indy, but during the last election, Columbus was a little blue island in a sea of angry reds. As a person living in the mid-Atlantic & paying ridiculous rent, I wouldn't moving back to Ohio at some point (assuming they don't go full Nazi) because there are world class hospitals, *cheap* housing, and a surprising growing art/food scene. So it's nothing special, but I'd take Columbus over a sprawling hot mess of a place like Dallas

by Anonymousreply 17October 21, 2024 8:11 AM

Yes, without OSU Columbus would be Indunapolis. The native accent is a faint southern twang.

by Anonymousreply 18October 21, 2024 9:40 AM

I dunno. Soul food?

by Anonymousreply 19October 21, 2024 9:57 AM

Columbus is Indianapolis with a large university, but a worse downtown.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2024 11:25 AM

In Columbus, Ohio all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2024 11:31 AM

Suicide.

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2024 11:43 AM

R13 Most Midwestern cities are generic and interchangeable. They look the same and feel the same.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2024 11:51 AM

Columbus has more gray days than Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2024 10:54 PM

Probably the worst domestic art museum I've ever seen. The cartooning museum sounds like it might be interesting, though. They used to have one of the best glass art galleries in the US, but not any more. Other than Atlanta, I don't think I've visited a place with less credible online restaurant reviews.

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2024 10:58 PM

There’s probably a barbecue restaurant nearby. Ew.

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2024 11:07 PM

People in Ohio are overwhelmingly DULL

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2024 11:11 PM

OP, we have many outstanding Arby's restaurants in Columbus that one can enjoy.

Seriously, the Riverfront at sunset is a lovely place to view the skyline. Bryden Road in Old Town East has many beautiful old Victorian houses with creative Halloween decorations. Quite a few rainbow flags, too.

Seconding gay-friendly German Village and Merion Village, which make for beautiful walking in the fall--Schiller Park is pretty, too, though be careful about safety at night. Try a visit to the Franklin Park Conservatory.

Caution: Stay away from Linden, Whitehall, and the Hilltop. Not too safe. Also be aware that C-Bus has a strange and chronic problem with random people crashing their cars into buildings. I have no idea why.

Have yourself a whirl, OP!

by Anonymousreply 28October 21, 2024 11:14 PM

Exit it.

by Anonymousreply 29October 22, 2024 12:08 AM

When I went to Grad School at OSU there were three areas that were predominantly gay: German Village (affectionately known as The Swish Alps), Italian Village (The Via Vaselino) and The Short North (Homo Heights).

by Anonymousreply 30October 22, 2024 3:15 AM

Get a load Dorothy Parker at r30

by Anonymousreply 31October 22, 2024 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!