Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Eldergays do you remember 1982

It was 42 years ago!!! I was 23!! I was in my first post college job in Clearwater Florida and would spend most of my time partying in Tampa!! Tuesday night 25 cent at the Old Plantation in Tampa and weekends at El Goya in Ybor City. I miss my hair, my 32 inch waist, my ability to drink on a weeknight and laying on the beach at Pass A Grille in St Pete using questionable sunscreen !! I remember most all the songs especially Gloria and Jump Shout for some reason. I survived someone was keeping an eye on me for sure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2024 6:59 PM

I was 3!!!!! Great year!! Poltergeist and ET!!!!I truly remember watching ET with my mom and dad in the theatre. My dad cried. He also died only 4 years later at the age of 40 from alcoholism. I know very little but i know that he had a very bad childhood. He was actually a lifelong democrat.. Only now can I appreciate that I had a great dad even though he died so young.

I do not know if this was 1982 (was it. 81?) I have never seen Raiders of The Lost Ark! The original or any sequel. I think I need to as I have always found Harrison Ford to be the most handsome man who ever lived.

by Anonymousreply 1October 20, 2024 1:00 AM

And even though I was 3, I vividly remember Gloria playing in my parents car when we would take my dad to the train station for work!!! I also had an obsession with these soft cherry cough drops- They tasted like candy. Brothers was in the name. Thats my recollection of 1982-

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2024 1:02 AM

I was born. You’re welcome, world!!

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2024 1:07 AM

R1 I am sorry for the loss of your father at at such a young age. R2 those were called "Smith Brothers" cough drops , many parents gave those to toddlers instead of regular cough drops because they had no medicinal value and were considered safe. I find it very fascinating that 2 younger data loungers were the first to post replies. 1982-1985 were tough years for the age aggregate that are Eldergays today. We lost people with no end in sight.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2024 1:30 AM

That was two years before I got sober so I don’t remember it at all.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2024 1:32 AM

Setting a new record for ourselves, fucking seven times overnight in a harbor view room at the Boatslip in Provincetown in early spring. Every once in a while I’d look up and see the ocean.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2024 1:34 AM

Atta boy R6 ! Was the "Dick Dock" active back then?

by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2024 1:36 AM

Don't You Want Me by The Human League. Still sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2024 1:39 AM

We're the same age. But I'm Canadian.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2024 1:41 AM

I do. I was 11 and it was somehow the worst year of my life which is quite the trick considering how awful previous years had been.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2024 1:42 AM

[quote]Eldergays do you remember 1982

Not every last detail.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 1:47 AM

I was 13. I do recall those films that came out

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 1:51 AM

ah yes, those films

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 1:54 AM

I was 16, and already a train wreck - ran away from home briefly, which then resulted in me changing schools (again), had a sorta bf who really was more of a fuck buddy, was convinced my acting on my sexual impulses caused God to create AIDS - but an awesome time for music, with much great stuff from may genres, and I got my first Walkman for Christmas that year.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2024 1:56 AM

ET? I saw that with my first boyfriend George who was an auto mechanic/drug dealer.

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2024 1:58 AM

Same age as you OP-bought house in Berkeley-AIDS was cranking up-death and fear of death everywhere-great music though.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2024 2:06 AM

I was 21 and came out of the closet that summer.

Spent considerable time at 42nd Street in Durham NC and the Capital Corral in Raleigh, among other places.

Great music. Great movies. Great times. It was a wonderful year. I have many great memories of that time.

Although news of GRID was out there, it was off in the big cities. Not way out in the provinces like North Carolina. At least that was the attitude people had. It would take a couple for more years before anybody I knew came down with AIDS. But when my friends and acquaintances started getting sick, it was a lot of them and it was really scary.

Luckily, I remain negative and healthy to this day, despite doing some things that we would now consider risky.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2024 2:09 AM

R4- I did not even think of that as I typed-- I did not even accept who I was until 1999 or so, and I have not given the attention that I should to folks older than me who lived through such horrible times with so much loss (and I know it goes beyond that- with fuckers like Reagan who could not give a fuck-it must have felt so lonely with all of this death and loss in a country that had not remotely accepted homosexuality) You guys who were born in the 60's and earlier (and 70's too) have been through a lot. And i thank you for reminding me of this-

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2024 2:32 AM

I was born that year

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 2:39 AM

I was 12 in 1982. Very late in the year, Tootsie premiered in cinemas everywhere. I really fell for Jessica Lange and actually went to the public library to learn more about her.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2024 2:57 AM

I was there. You can see a group of my fraternity brothers in the close/up shot of the student section. Did shrooms later that night as the entire Southside partied hard in celebration.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2024 3:13 AM

As a 14yo gayling, the moment I heard Gloria I pranced down to the record store to buy the 45!

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2024 3:32 AM

I remember I saw "My Favorite Year" and liked it. But 1982 was definitely not MY favorite year.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2024 3:48 AM

It was early in the season, DEG@60. There wasn’t much else to do.

The Dick Dock was there as was the Love Canal out by the beach. That was the better known spot (to me, anyway) because the Superfund site was getting a lot of publicity.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2024 1:04 PM

This thread is just sad.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2024 2:25 PM

I turned 18 in 1982, and I happened to meet an older gay man who revealed to me a gay world that I’d been blind to until that year. We became best friends (no sex), and I finally had someone I could trust with all the questions, feelings, and fears that had built up inside me about what kind of future I might make as a gay man. He was kind, patient, and loving—but I was very sheltered at home, and naive about the real world. I helped him move to LA that summer, and I remember Santa Monica Boulevard lined with beautiful gay men in dolphin shorts, tank tops, or shirtless. We hung out in West Hollywood and Beverly Hills. We spent our nights dancing with friends at Club Odyssey (since I couldn’t get into Studio One), to the music of Human League, the Go-Gos, Soft Cell, and Flock of Seagulls. I really grew up that summer—but our friendship didn’t end well. In September, I went back to school and built strong friendships with people my own age, studied hard, and started all over again.

Even though I’m now happily married (nearly 30 years), fostered and adopted children, and have lived the life I’d only dreamed about back then, I sometimes think about that friendship. I also understand that, based on our age difference and life aspirations that would eventually split our paths, it was never balanced enough to last. I will always wish him well...

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2024 10:30 PM

I don't remember it since I was a newborn.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2024 11:38 PM

More sadness 26

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2024 11:56 PM

God, I miss the old El Goya. Melanie Migion, Kim Ross, Candy Kiss, Stephanie Shippe, Bobby Lake, Joey Brooks.

And of course, Rene's on Kennedy Blvd, right down the street from the OP.

by Anonymousreply 29October 21, 2024 12:57 AM

I do.

I'd been clean & sober for over a year, and I had a cute girlfriend who taught me how to ride her little 100cc motorcycle. It was hard to find work (the steel mills all closed down, so no one had work) so I got a job in a non-union meat packing plant. I cut sides of beef with a band saw and stood in puddles of blood in a giant building cooled to 40 degrees. I wore three layers of clothes and two layers of gloves. Work was hard and dangerous. So my gf showed me how to apply for a civil service test to work for the state government and by the next year I had a job where I worked at a desk. It was like heaven!

My dear friends, the guys from the gay AA meeting that I went to every week religiously didn't start to disappear until a year or two later. They were wonderful, funny guys, and they were very kind to me. May they rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 30October 21, 2024 1:17 AM

Ooops -- I got misty and messed up my moniker.

by Anonymousreply 31October 21, 2024 1:20 AM

We're the same age OP. As someone who was in the maelstrom of the emerging AIDS epidemic in downtown NYC, I was also fortunate to not only be one of the two survivors of our group of gays, I somehow managed to remain HIV negative. Being more selective and about who I hooked up with ended up working in my favor, as did quite a bit of luck. 1980s NY was vibrant with so many more creative and artistic and eccentric people than you have today because it was so much more affordable to live here then. Despite the tragedy of losing so many friends over the years, I still have fond memories of those days.

by Anonymousreply 32October 21, 2024 1:48 AM

Aren’t you special, said Church Lady.

Get over yourself…

by Anonymousreply 33October 21, 2024 2:00 AM

Only an a—hole would write “I somehow managed to remain HIV negative. Being more selective and about who I hooked up with ended up working in my favor, as did quite a bit of luck.”

Somewhere, people are laughing at you, —No o e likes an 80s jerk

by Anonymousreply 34October 21, 2024 2:03 AM

R30 Senior Lesbian you need to start a blog or a YouTube channel!

I read the comments about "survivors." TBH in my case " being selective" had zero to do with it. Staying away from drugs, reading as much as I could regarding medical data on transmission ,having guardian angels looking over me and just pure luck did. As with all gaylings in their 20s I had my share of emotional and mental ups and downs. But, I never slipped into major depression, alcoholism or drugs. I just felt what I needed to feel no matter how crappy it was , processed it course corrected and kept it moving.

by Anonymousreply 35October 21, 2024 3:43 AM

Stop with the cheap moralizing about luck, reading or being “safe” and “careful.” It is the most tiresome of 80s bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 36October 21, 2024 4:07 AM

[quote]This thread is just sad.

No it's not. We're still here!

by Anonymousreply 37October 21, 2024 10:17 AM

It's unfortunate you are overwhelmed with bitterness R36. Perhaps some "self care " is needed to brighten your day? Maybe a Mint Julep Mask or a quick rinse out with Summers Eve?

I know many long-term HIV survivors 30 to 40 years post diagnosis. One common trait they share is no bitterness. Take that for what it is worth R36.

by Anonymousreply 38October 21, 2024 2:55 PM

R38 since you can’t read between the lines: I’m a survivor, longer-term than you or anyone you know. Cheaply—offered sentimentality, not anchored in reality, is crude…especially on the DL. We know better.

by Anonymousreply 39October 21, 2024 3:37 PM

Turned 18 and had my first gay 3-way. One of the guys changed the lyrics of this to “Sit down on it…” while lowering his ass onto my cock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40October 21, 2024 4:15 PM

Rather vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2024 4:29 PM

I was 16 years old in 1982 and I loathed contemporary music and fashion. My favorite time period for music then was the mid 1960’s- especially liked the Beatles - Revolver / Rubber Soul era and the Byrds.

by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2024 6:06 PM

I was in the 5th grade in the fall of 1982. I was into Olivia Newton-John big time.

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2024 6:12 PM

She wasn’t into you—fyi

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2024 6:21 PM

I was a child you miserable twat r44

by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2024 6:33 PM

Still miserable til this day, are you?

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2024 6:56 PM

[Quote] This thread is just sad.

No one appreciated the pain of growing up Gen X. Unlike the whiny youth of today, our struggle was REAL, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2024 6:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!