Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Help! How do I clean a badly scorched heavy stainless steel pan?

I was searing a steak last night at a very high heat, when I turned away for what seemed like 20 seconds, only to come back and find it totally scorched. I tried cleaning it in the sink, but chunks of black flakes were going everywhere. So, I tossed it in the dishwasher on the 'heavy' cycle, thinking that would do the trick, but nope—still black.

Any advice?

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2024 2:17 PM

Throw it out and buy a new one. Problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2024 11:59 PM

A long soak and Bon Ami scouring powder.

by Anonymousreply 2October 20, 2024 12:10 AM

Coca-Cola and cigarette ashes.

How the hell should I know?

by Anonymousreply 3October 20, 2024 12:15 AM

R1. Can't, it's a top-of-the-line pan. I don't usually cook; my husband does, but he was out last night seeing some musical, Kimbo or something like that, so I was left to my own devices. He's going to kill me if I don't get this cleaned up.

by Anonymousreply 4October 20, 2024 12:15 AM

R4 Top of the line or not, buy a new one.

by Anonymousreply 5October 20, 2024 12:20 AM

I had an older but high quality stainless steel pan with a singed bottom interior. I restored it with a metal polish called Flitz and a Brillo Pad. I wore nitrile gloves and scrubbed moderately hard. It looks close to new.

by Anonymousreply 6October 20, 2024 12:22 AM

Rachel Cooks with Love has a video on this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7October 20, 2024 12:22 AM

OP get one of those degreaser sprays used for cleaning stovetops. Spray it on the pan and just use the back of a 🧽 the green Brillo side, or a regular Brillo pad. It will come right off. I’d let it soak in warm dishwater for about an hour first though. Makes the scrubbing easier.

by Anonymousreply 8October 20, 2024 12:22 AM

Bleach takes tea stains off my stainless steel pitcher - maybe worth a try? Just liquid Clorox and allow it to sit a few minutes.

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2024 12:48 AM

Barkeeper's Friend.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2024 12:59 AM

"He's going to kill me if I don't get this cleaned up."

JFC, OP! Are you Lucy Ricardo?

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 1:10 AM

Op, R10 is correct. There is now a kitchen version. You will still have to use some elbow grease and a metal scouring pad, but it should do the job.

It saved a stainless frying pan for me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 1:23 AM

I’ve never needed more than vinegar and baking soda for stainless.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 1:28 AM

Bar Keeper's Friend

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2024 2:02 AM

The Bar Keeper himself

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2024 2:11 AM

Scrape it with a sharp edged metal spatula after running through the dishwasher. Use SOS pads for any leftover bits.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2024 2:27 AM

I've used vinegar and baking soda. In the end, it needs a strong abrasive and a lot of elbow grease. But it won't hurt the pan. Stainless steel is a very sturdy material. If you go to youtube, there are a million videos of people cleaning their stainless steel.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2024 4:42 AM

Let it soak overnight with dishwashing machine detergent. Powder or a tab. If that doesn’t budge it. Easy Off oven cleaner. Spray and put in oven according to directions.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2024 5:54 AM

One of the youtube videos mentioned taking a tablet of dishwashing detergent and using a scrubber, scrub that tab all over the stain.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 6:46 AM

OP is just turned off by the amount of scorching and probably a bit of a drammatical ho. Brillo on stainless steel scrubs off easily. Just use a degreaser like Oxygen Orange. And OP don’t take offense, I call you a drammatical ho with love 😜.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2024 6:54 AM

I think you’ll just have to accept your impending death at the hands of your husband.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2024 8:42 AM

I've only ever used baking soda and steel wool. Eazy peazy.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2024 9:51 AM

Barkeeper's Friend. It also removes tarnish and scorching outside the pan edges too. I would soak the pan overnight first.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2024 9:57 AM

Boiling vinegar / deglazing it usually works.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2024 1:32 PM

I just boil water and Dawn in it a few times. Scrub it Barkeepers Friend

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2024 1:34 PM

I had an ex-roommate many tears ago that cleaned my saute pan with vim after I had left it out to cool overnight and I wanted to throat-punch her afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2024 1:40 PM

Another vote for Bar Keeper’s Friend, though if you scorched it deep black you’ll have to spend some time scrubbing and scrubbing. Try three deep scrub and rinse cycles with BKF, 5 to 10 minutes each, and at that point I’d give up if it’s not happening.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2024 2:00 PM

OP all of your posts are quite stupid.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2024 2:03 PM

You just need to soak it a day. Then use baking soda and lemon juice or vinegar. Use a synthetic scoring pad before you try the metal Brillo pad.

The ASSHOLE above how says scrape it with a sharp spatula should kill himself. Now.

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2024 2:14 PM

You order a new one-thanks for the reminder.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2024 2:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!