Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Restored 1884 Victorian townhouse in San Francisco’s Mission District listed for $2 million

Located at 1180 Guerrero St., the architectural gem retains its original grand facade, moldings, woodwork and decorative fireplaces. Over the past four decades, “a battalion of period craftspeople” has restored other elements to their original splendor, according to Joel Luebkeman of Compass, the listing agent.

“I’ve walked into hundreds of Victorian homes in my career,” Luebkeman said in an email to the Chronicle. “But when I first walked through the imposing front doors of 1180 Guerrero, I was awestruck by the feeling I had been transported back in time to a Gilded Age townhouse on 5th Avenue.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2024 3:24 AM

Trust fund! Tech bro!

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2024 9:38 PM

Paywall! Boo!

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2024 9:46 PM

It's only three pictures anyway.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2024 9:48 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2024 9:49 PM

Wish I had 2 million to scrape together for this

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2024 9:51 PM

Here you go.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2024 9:51 PM

Love it and love that area. Close to stuff but away from the noise. Not a bad price really.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2024 10:34 PM

Here’s a video tour I stumbled across. The algorithm is watching me today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2024 11:32 PM

Wow what a fantastic house! Its perfection, and a good manageable size too, along with a (just) manageable price. I cant see a thing I would change apart from the crap furniture its staged with Dont know why the estate agent couldnt be arsed finding something more appropriate for this house, but I'm guessing it'll sell on its own virtues regardless of what crap is put in the rooms temporarily. I love the lights, the colourful ceiling roses, the wallpapers, the business, the abundance of colours and patterns, its just outstanding in every respect. I like the kitchen too, and the back yard/ patio area is very pleasant too. Wonder what the townhouse on the other side is like inside?

If there was something on HGTV about decorating homes like this I'd be all over it - like HGTV, but from 1880.

[quote]Trust fund! Tech bro!

R2 Could be trust fund possibly, unlikely to be tech bro, they usually have less taste and more money. But if it is, I take my hat off to them for doing such a stunningly beautiful restoration

by Anonymousreply 9October 20, 2024 11:54 AM

I didn't even notice the furniture, I obsessed over the front door entrance. Stately. Impressive.

But yes, too close to the next door neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 10October 20, 2024 12:07 PM

For comparison here's another great house in the same general area although much bigger and more expensive. Also staged with much more appropriate furniture, this is how I'd furnish OP's home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 12:10 PM

Far too large. Corner lot, on a busy and shitty Avenue.^

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 12:20 PM

OP's house is very unusual in that the twin to the left is not really a twin but a rectangle. The one for sale is a trapezoid and flares out on the right side and gets wider as you progress to the back of the property.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 12:46 PM

The townhouse impresses me more than that mansion

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2024 1:05 PM

That’s cheap for that town-what’s wrong with it?

by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2024 1:45 PM

R11 That house is in the ghetto.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2024 8:12 PM

I hate it. A little Victorian goes a long way - but this is almost maximalist Victorian to the point of museum.

And what is up with the mid-century furniture - a Noguchi table and a Eames chair? You go all out on the wall paper and decor and then use mid-century furniture?

All that work - total waste of time and money. Very few people want to live in a time capsule - particularly one from over 125 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2024 8:20 PM

It's lovely and beautifully crafted, but I tend to agree with r17 about the ornateness -- except for the kitchen -- it's just so OTT busy from middle of ceiling to floor! I wanted to tell it to "Shut up" as I scrolled through pictures.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2024 9:41 PM

Meh. My ideal SF home would be in a garçonnière in a swanky small art deco apartment building, have views, and be decorated in film noir style - venetian blinds, Syrie Maugham upholstered furniture, maybe some Venini lustres, a bauhaus piece and an important chinoiserie piece. Of course I would have to smoke again as would all my friends.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 10:00 PM

It’s cheap because no one under 65, or not gay, wants that kind of interior in the City anymore. Nor pay a fortune to change it.

Reality bites, even in SF.

by Anonymousreply 20October 21, 2024 12:02 AM

It will sell for a lower $ per sq ft price…and twenty years from now, when the next R.E. cycle has run its course, someone will pay a premium for it. That’s how it it works in the big city…you roll with it.

by Anonymousreply 21October 21, 2024 12:05 AM

R12 yes that house is too large, I prefer OP's house for size. But it is correctly staged/ furnished which is why I posted it

R17 it is "maximalist Victorian to the point of museum" which is why I love it. Stuff it full of period furniture etc and move in and I'd be happy

And yes I dont understand the mid century furniture either, it is jarring and makes no sense. Maybe thats all the realtor could lay hands on at short notice

I want to live in a time capsule like this - especially one from over 125 years ago. In fact I want to live in this one, with the right furnishings I would happily pay a premium for it. The ornateness speaks to me, and I have this in my Dream homes folder

by Anonymousreply 22October 21, 2024 5:35 AM

You can almost smell the rusty pipes.

by Anonymousreply 23October 21, 2024 5:41 AM

Steiner street place posted at R11 is in the Western Addition, not in any of the Avenues. And not the safest area of SF. Hence, the price.

I also don’t like the Mission District. I always feel like I’m supposed to like it, but I just don’t. Prefer some other districts in SF.

by Anonymousreply 24October 21, 2024 8:08 AM

It sits on the corner of Golden Gate AVENUE

by Anonymousreply 25October 21, 2024 10:30 AM

No one said it was in the Avenues…

by Anonymousreply 26October 21, 2024 10:58 AM

R24 I’ve never understood the whole Mission thing. Much prefer North Beach or upper Fillmore. A trip to Alamo Drafthouse or Foreign Cinema a few times a year is plenty of Mission for me.

by Anonymousreply 27October 21, 2024 7:36 PM

Yeah, R27, I like Fillmore a lot. It's a good street for walking, shopping, getting coffee. I've lived in the Russian Hill and Nob Hill areas, which are nice, too.

by Anonymousreply 28October 22, 2024 3:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!