Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you have an aversion to white appliances and cabinetry?

I keep hearing people on design shows bitching about them. I think they are clean and neutral and easy to clean. I've heard "they show dirt". Well, no shit, and that's bad how? How filthy are these fuckers?

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2024 2:52 PM

The problem is that they show *every* little dirt. Am I supposed to scrub every single inch of my appliances after every time I've handled them? Hell no, I have better use for my time, I won't be around forever and I don't want my final moments in life just be images of me endlessly scrubbing my white appliances.

Also, they show scratches and get yellow over time, can't scrub that away.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2024 2:25 PM

Absolutely!

- Ta Nehisi

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2024 2:37 PM

Never noticed them yellowing R1 but repainting them helps. My beef with stainless steel appliances is, while sleek and modern, always show smudges and fingerprints.

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2024 2:38 PM

Not a fan. I prefer Stainless or Black. White cabinets scream grandma to me.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2024 2:39 PM

I just bought all white. Do not like stainless. I have a small kitchen space and stainless is just too over powering. And white isn’t always dirty unless you are not wiping up messes like a slob.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2024 2:44 PM

A white kitchen with stainless steel appliances reminds me of those two cunts, Christina Hall and Joanna Gaines, the biggest bores/no-talents in interior design history.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2024 2:49 PM

I'm an Oscar Madison-level slob and still have the white appliances that came with my pre-owned condo. They are easy to keep clean.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2024 3:29 PM

We have white painted cabinets and stainless appliances, we have the stainless that doesn't spot easily, we made sure of that, cabinets need wiping down whether white or other, you're a slob if you think it's not there because you can't see it, cabinets sprayed so they have an easy gloss finish.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2024 3:37 PM

My home had Whirlpool appliances in their bisque color when I moved in.

Over time I replaced every one with a white appliance.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2024 3:38 PM

Are white, stainless and black the only colors? No.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2024 3:40 PM

R8, I didn't say I had white cabinets. I said I have white appliances.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2024 3:40 PM

White appliances generally look less high end (there are exceptions), but not everyone has $100k to spend on a kitchen.

White appliances with white cabinets is hard to pull off. I like white painted cabinets at long as they tie in with the trim, windows, and maybe doors in the kitchen and adjacent areas. But white painted cabinets that are consistent with the other woodwork are not usually pure white. So they aren’t going to color match white appliances perfectly and the texture / materials are different. It’s an “almost match.”

Pure white thermofoil cabinets will match appliances better, but they are pretty cheap looking. I’d prefer inexpensive wood cabinets with white appliances and the cheapest possible white solid surface countertop if that were my budget.

I’m on the messy side and have never, ever had an issue with keeping white cabinets clean. I haven’t had white appliances, but they are plastic. How hard is it to pull out a Clorox wipe and clean the areas around handles?

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2024 4:04 PM

Appliances are plastic? Where? In the USA?

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2024 4:12 PM

I have a custom maple kitchen painted in Ben Moore CC40, a cloudy white shaker cabinet. I just replaced the hardware to update it since there no was 8 years ago and chose a champagne bronze theme.

Even after 8 years I still love my cabinets. They're easy to touch up and and clean - and the cleaning is minimal bc I am a clean person. Anything worth it takes some work and care.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2024 4:14 PM

I miss yellow and avocado appliances. I don’t see why we’re forced into the neutral zone of black, white, and stainless steel. I had to buy SS for my kitchen because even white wasn’t available and I find black overpowering in a space that I want to be bright.

One of my friends got a fridge with a changeable facade with front panels that snap on and off. I was jealous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2024 4:27 PM

When I was house hunting I kept seeing stainless steel and gray interiors. They would have been good enough but when I saw the condo I’m in now the white appliances seemed like a refreshing departure from the trend. It took me quite a while to realize that they were just old but I do still like ‘em.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2024 4:49 PM

Oh gurl, we all know my cultural impact resulted in the demise of white appliances. I said what I said!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2024 5:05 PM

Cabinetry, no. Appliances, yes. Though, if I purchased a new home with white appliances that were relatively new, I wouldn't rush to replace them immediately. I'd get a few years out of them, though maybe not keep them through their useful life.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2024 5:30 PM

I miss almond.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2024 6:01 PM

[quote]Cabinetry, no. Appliances, yes.

Whereas I'm okay with white appliances but not cabinets.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2024 6:03 PM

White appliances and cabinetry looks very 90s (sort of like oak furniture). It might come back, but now you look dated.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2024 6:04 PM

Hot take: it's okay to look dated - if you, the homeowner, like the dated look. Most people aren't going to rehab upon ever change in trend and styles.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2024 6:09 PM

Renter here. I think my unit was built and set up in the '90s. White Kenmore refrigerator and stove.

White thermofoil cabinets (thanks, R12, for putting a name to it).

I like the white.

Yes, the thermofoil seems somewhat budget. Plus, the foil part does start to peel in high-use areas (near the handles of cabinets that get opened a lot).

I'm okay with it.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2024 7:53 PM

I went with blue cabinetry in my kitchen. I regretted it immediately.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2024 8:00 PM

I would love to have one of those refrigerators with the color panels. Not sure which color I'd select.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2024 8:02 PM

I love white appliances and cabinets but it’s old school-no good-not cool- not what ‘’Martha’’ would have in her cunt-kitchen. Can’t even find white appliances anymore and I hate having a refrigerator/full-lenth mirror in my kitchen. Yes yes paint-panels and wraps but such a hassle and expense.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2024 8:12 PM

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2024 8:19 PM

I have white applilances. I prefer them to stainless that gets fingerprints.

As for "showing dirt" more readily, I'd rather be able to see the dirt and grab a sponge to wipe it than not be able to see it and let it get crusty before finally cleaning it, especially on the stove where baked on foods and spills are so much harder to clean once they dry.

You're deluding yourself if you think that not seeing the dirt equates to it being clean or cleaner than when you can see it.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2024 8:21 PM

I thought the stainless steel refrigerators were harder to keep a clean look on, due to fingerprints.

The only thing that I end up wiping down (white refrigerator) is the very top part (dusty) and the handles.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2024 8:35 PM

I couldn't match my oven/stovetop and dishwasher which were almond, so I went with stainless, and like with the above poster, and the fingerprints drove me mad!

So I bought some patterned contact paper, which I'm happy with, though I know not many would like. A swirling marble type patter, in light brown and tan.

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2024 9:53 PM

* pattern

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2024 9:54 PM

Cheap stainless shows finger prints, why do you buy cheap stainless? It costs more, shame for you poor folks.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2024 10:04 PM

My condo had all white appliances when I bought it a couple of years ago.. Even though I don’t really like them, they are all still really nice (I love the Bosch dishwasher) and work fine. Maybe one day I’ll replace everything..but I doubt it. I hate the cabinets though…it’s that yellowish tan with the dark grooves you see in a lot of kitchens. I hate them and they are hard to keep clean.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2024 10:37 PM

Are you handy with a screwdriver ? Remove exterior panels and take the to a metal finishing shop and tell them what color you want.

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2024 10:54 PM

As far as finger prints - The fingerprints have to be pretty narrow in their location and they're really not hard to wipe down quickly unless you have children. Yes, annoying, but driving people crazy?

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2024 11:16 PM

What’s a metal finishing shop? I was thinking shop that paints cars?

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2024 11:27 PM

I think cream is lovely. Stark "polar bear" white is best suited for the walls.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2024 11:29 PM

White appliances look cheap and dated. They remind me of the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2024 11:43 PM

[quote] Stark "polar bear" white is best suited for the walls.

Not really, unless you want to drive someone insane.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2024 12:19 AM

I have all white appliances. Love the clean look.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2024 12:55 AM

I can't believe that kitchen fashion/forward DLers haven't discovered refrigerator and appliance wraps. During COVID, I was trying to spruce up a dated white refrigerator whose side faced my dining room. My kitchen doesn't have a built in refrigerator cabinet. I had a moment of genius, when I said to myself, "I should invent a refrigerator magnet that covers the entire side of front of a refrigerator". Before I applied for a patent that would have earned me $10,000,000, I googled refrigerator magnets that cover the entire side of a refrigerator and, lo and behold, someone beat me to the idea. The nice thing about them is that you can change them out according to the season or your mood. They are not terrible expensive. I'm lazy and not particularly imaginative, so I settled for a gorgeous photograph of the Keukenhof Gardens in the Netherlands. Year-round I'm looking a field of beautiful tulips and other bulbs, but especially in our dreary winters, it's a very welcome sight. . I suspect there are other brands, but I'm linking one website below. I don't think I'd use this material for a stove/oven, but you could also cover your dishwasher. "

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2024 1:17 AM

This is another company that makes a similar product, and I'm pretty sure it's the one I used

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2024 1:35 AM

There is nothing wrong with white appliances, you puffed up kweens.

But I do have a problem with white cars and I'll never have one. To me they all look like fleet cars for businesses.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2024 1:37 AM

I like white cars.

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2024 1:40 AM

Just realized that the top picture of the website load for best appliance skins is the exact match of the one that I have on the side of my refrigerator.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2024 1:40 AM

For me, Just like paint, it depends on the white for cars.

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2024 1:43 AM

R42

I have a cheap stainless fridge in my Galveston house and these would be absolutely perfect. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2024 1:57 AM

Hi NoPalm. Be sure to test out your refrigerator with a small refrigerator magnet. Not all stainless appliances are magnetic, although many are. But if a small refrigerator magnet sticks, these large ones should be just fine.

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2024 2:01 AM

Yes-you’re all a bunch of puffed up Kweens on a 1.99 a month message board-ground yourselves for Christ's sake.

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2024 2:21 AM

Op is Sunny Hostin

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2024 2:24 AM

My refrigerator, stove, dishwasher and microwave are white. My cabinets are light wood and they look good together.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2024 2:28 AM

r42 Surprised that isn't more popular. Seems cool. I would buy it. Great way to change up your home.

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2024 2:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!