Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anita Bryant, bully, closet case

With the right-wing bullying amped up these days, I’m reminded of the bully Anita Bryant.

I’ve always wondered if she is deeply closeted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2024 12:03 PM

She was a bully. People who are narrow minded and think their way is the only way aren’t the kindest in my experience. Luckily she was seen as a self-righteous bigot fairly quickly.

She has not had an easy life. After her Orange Juice gig was taken from away her husband left her. She remarried and started a Ministry. She’s filed for bankruptcy twice.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2024 3:23 AM

She promoted Florida orange juice in tv commercials and sales plummeted.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2024 3:35 AM

WHET that cookie-sniffing little Orange Bird?

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2024 3:41 AM

Closet case? GTFO with all of that, OP.

I don’t understand the compulsion to speculate that every anti-gay lunatic zealot is secretly gay. Like the only way that a horrible person could be so horrible is because they’re so deeply closeted? 99.99% of gay people have at least a shred of dignity and self worth. Shitfucks like Anita Bryant and basically every MAGAt (my own parents included) are homophobic because they either (a) hate gay people on some visceral or religious level or (b) just want to feel superior to some Other because they themselves are low-class, unsuccessful pieces of shit.

It’s idiotic and incredibly insulting to insinuate that every villain is gay. I’m gay and I’m not a villain. This isn’t junior high. I got bullied when I was a kid, sometimes by closeted 15 year olds. The anti-gay bullies in my life today aren’t 15 and they’re not closeted, let alone gay. Anita Bryant isn’t gay, she’s just a spiteful cunt. If it were practical, I’d bring a truckload of earthworms to her gravesite when she finally kicks the bucket.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2024 3:44 AM

Remember that time she went to Des Moines and got a pie in her face?

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2024 3:50 AM

SUCH a fucking cunt. Even a lot of straight people thought she was a fucking cunt.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2024 3:53 AM

If you want a good laugh, search for a clip of her singing "Mame" on an old Lawrence Welk show. She was hilariously awful. And that's being kind.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2024 4:05 AM

She’s 84 now. I wonder what her days are like.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2024 4:20 AM

They named a street after her in Oklahoma City - it doesn’t look like many attended the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2024 4:25 AM

^^ sorry!

VIDEO:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2024 4:26 AM

Who remembers the "silent witness' sunglasses she was selling in the early 80s? I understand she was a regular performer at Branson too.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2024 4:30 AM

[quote]WHET that cookie-sniffing little Orange Bird?

She lost her endorsement deals and her career went down the shitter. She filed for divorce and got a taste of the judgmental wrath of the born-again Jesus crowd that used to adore her until they turned on her. To top it off she got hooked on Valium. She filed for bankruptcy twice and ended up moving back to Oklahoma with her second husband and has kept pretty quiet since then. Her lesbian granddaughter married a woman a couple of years ago. Here's a piece from ten years after the whole Florida debacle chronicling one of her comeback attempts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2024 4:38 AM

Here's an article from 2002 about the people she screwed over in her last business venture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2024 4:40 AM

Better link for R13

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2024 4:44 AM

I remember that pie to the face. Me and my brothers cracked up about that. My mom couldn't stand her.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2024 4:55 AM

All this happened to her AND she found a pubic hair in her Long John Slivers’ fountain Coke???????

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2024 5:37 AM

[quote]All this happened to her AND she found a pubic hair in her Long John Slivers’ fountain Coke???????

She could never resist that BBC.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2024 5:50 AM

Stop being mean to my mentor!

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2024 2:22 PM

R4 is a closeted MAGA.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2024 2:23 PM

I hope it burns when she pees.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2024 2:24 PM

Sounds like she got the life she deserved.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2024 2:25 PM

Nancy Grace was all up in arms when the anniversary of this happened. She went nuts saying it wasn’t funny and how wonderful a person she was.

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2024 2:29 PM

In 2021, Bryant's granddaughter, Sarah Green, came out publicly on an episode of Slate's One Year podcast series by announcing her pending marriage to a woman, although she was having difficulty deciding whether she should invite her grandmother to the ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2024 2:30 PM

“In 1996, Bryant said she was happy to be out of show business.”

Like she had a choice.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2024 2:31 PM

She can't even go back to Tupperware now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2024 2:37 PM

[quote]R4 is a closeted MAGA.

More likely, that person is just someone with a smattering of insight and some life experience. The reasoning that "anti-gay = closet case" all of the time is overly simplistic. Tempting and reassuring to think otherwise, maybe, but no. If you want to get into dime-store psychology, the idea of male homosexuality is more likely to offend straight women than closeted lesbians, anyway. Before people knew any better, before it was widely accepted that homosexuality was simply a variant of human sexuality that has always been around and is hard-wired, people would say that male homosexuality was a "rejection of women" or an "insult to women."

In 2020s language, Anita Bryant is said to have targeted the "LGBT+ community," but her implicit target was really only ever gay men.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2024 2:43 PM

[quote] I’ve always wondered if she is deeply closeted.

Not all ignorant bigots are closet cases. Anita Bryant was just a vile, hateful woman.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2024 3:10 PM

After that bitch was pied, she said “at least it was a fruit pie.” She’s a vile cunt.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2024 3:34 PM

[quote]In 2020s language, Anita Bryant is said to have targeted the "LGBT+ community," but her implicit target was really only ever gay men.

It almost always is. Gay men have always been the main targets of homophobic abuse.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2024 3:58 PM

R22, I thought you were lying but nope. WTF Nancy. I never liked her anyways but this just makes me dislike her even more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2024 4:06 PM

R26 How dumb are you?

Her efforts hurt lesbians, bisexuals & trans.

Employment hurdles, adoption hurdles, openly out as public figures, etc.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2024 3:48 AM

OP, I think you're on to something. She has that Jane Russell vibe; I see the closet there.

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2024 5:59 AM

R31, trans was barely a thing then. It was all about gay men. Period.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2024 12:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!