Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Joanne Woodward On The Dick Cavett Show- January 22, 1973

She looks like a version of Maude here.

Does the datalounge agree?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60October 22, 2024 2:05 AM

Travilla gave Woodward glamour in From the Terrace and Signpost to Murder, and also The Stripper and WUSA. Plus a couple of Oscar gowns and several personal wardrobes.

This was after that.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2024 12:57 AM

Joanne was pushing 43 at the time of that interview, but the hair, makeup, and outfit ages her by 10-15 years.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2024 1:20 AM

Joanne Woodward was a HOMEWRECKER!

by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2024 1:22 AM

Never really got her. But I am sorry that she has been suffering from Alzheimer's for a long time. Any suggestions on which movies of hers I should watch first?

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2024 1:32 AM

R2- Totally. She looks so fuckin old here and she's only 43 years old.

by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2024 1:57 AM

R4 - Rachel, Rachel. She won the Oscar for The Three Faces of Eve but I like Rachel better.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2024 2:43 AM

She looks fit and that dress isn't so bad for the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2024 2:50 AM

She was amazing in Sybil and wonderful in Philadelphia. Love her.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2024 3:00 AM

She was very effective stuck in the garage in Mr and Mrs Bridge.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2024 3:39 AM

Did she get a lot dick?

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2024 5:39 AM

I was never very enamored of her. She lacked pizazz.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2024 6:18 AM

She was married to Paul Newman. He liked her.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2024 6:45 AM

He was always saying how sexy Joanne was.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2024 11:43 AM

Loved her in "The Effects of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds"

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2024 1:02 PM

Always liked her but here she seems like a defensive cunt-Huh?

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2024 9:15 PM

I like them both.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2024 9:29 PM

She might have been filming Summer Wishes Winter Dreams at the time and she looked middle aged in it. Sylvia Sidney was great in it.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2024 9:33 PM

Joanne and Paul were great believers in nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2024 1:26 AM

She has great skin here, supple and dewy. I kind of like her dress and shoes. Ladylike and dignified. But the hair screams MAUDE. Terrible hair!

Paul Neuman was šŸ„µ though.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 2:00 AM

This makes me want to dive into a Dick Cavett fest.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2024 2:02 AM

According to IMDB production on Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams was from Oct 22, 1972 to January, 1973 including locations in New York.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2024 2:05 AM

I actually saw that movie on the big screen when it came out. As a previous poster said, Sylvia Sydney was great.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2024 2:08 AM

It's crazy she's still alive, more then 17 years after receiving her Alzheimer's diagnosis. Average life expectancy of an Alzheimer's patient post-diagnosis is about 6 years.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2024 2:21 AM

No. Their daughters were not actresses. Except Nell that two times.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2024 8:19 AM

Terrible disease. Worst part is the beginning when you know somethingā€™s wrong but you canā€™t do anything about it. Later stage you donā€™t care anymore, youā€™ve lost what you no longer remember. I read smarter people get it more.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2024 8:31 AM

Horror stories. I worked in an upscale nursing home in the 1980s before real understanding of this dementia. It was still treated like a mental illness and/or bad behavior so restraints and Thorazine and Geri chairs. A man brought his wife in and left her there without explanation. She was locked in a a Geri chair and completely shell shocked by it. She was still half with it and outraged by the treatment. I sat and talked with her. She wasnā€™t the only one just brought in and dumped there. They have come a long way since then, if you dont look too closely.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2024 8:44 AM

R24 - Lissy was in Sometimes a Great Notion, See How She Runs, Mr. and Mrs. Bridge, and two TV guest spots.

by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2024 9:47 AM

Their kids must have beautiful eyes.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2024 9:55 AM

Joanne was good at playing virgins but sluts not so much.

by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2024 10:55 AM

R29, yes, proving she was a fine actress!

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2024 2:34 PM

Trying to follow ā€˜ā€™Mr & Mrs. Bridgeā€™ā€™ but not easy-Boring and canā€™t believe this was such a ā€˜ā€™ must doā€™ā€™ for the Newmans -willing to take pay cut and other concessions. Admitting I did not read book.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2024 2:46 PM

newman is VERY tan

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2024 2:52 PM

Woodward should have won Miss Homely of 1955. Maybe she was a good actress but she was lacking in any kind of allure and sounded like she was gargling with mashed potatoes. And to think at some point Fox even considered her for Cleopatra.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2024 3:01 PM

[quote]Terrible disease. Worst part is the beginning when you know somethingā€™s wrong but you canā€™t do anything about it. Later stage you donā€™t care anymore, youā€™ve lost what you no longer remember. I read smarter people get it more.

I couldn't have put it better, R25.

My brilliant, kind, beautiful, giving, loving mother suffered from vascular dementia AND Alzheimers for 12 years.

I've told this story on DL before, but late one night as I was checking the house before bed, I saw Mother's bedroom light was on.

I knocked and entered; Mother was sitting at her vanity, just looking intently at her mirrored image. I said "Are you OK, Mommy; it's past bedtime."

Still gazing into the mirror she said sadly "Hi, Mow (she and her sibs called my grandmother "Mow", pronounced like the act of cutting grass, but more nasally-- its a Carolina thing I guess). Seeing her reflection she realized how much she looked like her Mow, and how much she missed her. So touching and bittersweet.

But what gutted me was she kept looking at her reflection like she was trying to find the puzzle piece she'd lost, she turned to me, grief and confusion in her face, and asked

[quote]I used to be smart, didn't I?

DL, that took me out.

Now I'm dealing with my ancient old Dad who has post-stroke dementia, and man it is HARD. Even so I dread the morning he doesn't rise at Reveille. I just love him so much, and I know after 6 years he still grieves for her; sometimes he'll ask me where Wife is, and we tell him "You know she went out shopping with Mrs. X, right?" Or some other lie to keep him from retreating into that dementia hole that's hard as hell to get him out of.

Tl;dr: dementia is evil.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2024 4:21 PM

R34, I am so sorry. I too have a parent with Alzheimer's. In prime years, brilliant professional and university professor; now cannot follow a movie plot.

Horrifying disease; if I end up with it, I hope I pass quickly through the phase of agonizing self-awareness you so poignantly describe.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2024 4:34 PM

[quote]In prime years, brilliant professional and university professor; now cannot follow a movie plot.

Thanks, R35; I do feel your pain.

My parents had all these plans for their elder years: travel to all the places where Dad had been stationed in WW2 (Navy) and Korea (Army), as well as Japan because he took his R&Rs there during the Korean Conflict--he wanted her to see the places he had been, and how they shaped the man he became. They also planned to expand the community help group they'd founded in the early 60s.

But Dad was struck with Retinitis Pigmentosa, which developed so rapidly there was no way he could navigate Europe and Asia. Then Mother was felled by vascular dementia, and the dreams were dashed. They were still able to build their community chest, that is still working today.

I have no idea how it would feel to have sat side by side, holding hands on the den sofa for 60 years, only suddenly to wonder who is that stranger sitting beside me.

Today, like R35 my Dad cannot follow a story plot or news broadcast--and he was always a news and movie/TV Western junkie. Gets fixated on one word or phrase he hears, and keeps asking the same question about it until you want to pull your hair out.

Datalounge friends, do EVERYTHING you possibly can to avoid surgery of any kind (including dental) after age 70 that involves general anesthesia.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2024 7:03 PM

And to think at some point Fox even considered her for Cleopatra.

That was only because she was a Fox contract player at the time.

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2024 7:42 PM

She does look frumpy. And that music that was played when she walked on stage, some kind of marching band song (Yellow rose of texas to a marching band).

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2024 7:48 PM

[quote] That was only because she was a Fox contract player at the time.

Regardless. Even Ethel Merman would have been a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2024 10:45 PM

R33, Miss Woodward inherited the lead role in "The Stripper" (1963) after its star Marilyn Monroe died. I tried watching it some time ago when it was on TCM, but I was utterly bored with the story and I found Miss Woodward unconvincing in such a role. She is not unattractive, but when the film opens with Woodward being mistaken for Jayne Mansfield, you expect a star with a little more va-va-voom!

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2024 11:54 PM

Thereā€™s one thing Woodward did that I thought was funny.

When Woodward proudly sewed her evening dress for the night she won an Oscar, Joan Crawford was horrified. ā€œShe is setting the cause of Hollywood glamour back twenty years by making her own clothes,ā€ Crawford sniffed to the press.

The next time Woodward attended the Oscars she wore a store bought dress, and said on the red carpet, ā€œI hope this makes Joan Crawford happy.ā€

by Anonymousreply 41October 21, 2024 2:13 AM

The offending dress:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 21, 2024 2:17 AM

"Maybe she was a good actress but she was lacking in any kind of allure..."

Not in real life, apparently. Paul said that when they met, she nearly drove him mad with lust. He went after her hard.

by Anonymousreply 43October 21, 2024 2:44 AM

Itā€™s sad that he was married, with three young children, when he started schtupping Joanne.

But then, Newman was a Republican - morally, the party of ā€œDo What I Say, Not What I Doā€

by Anonymousreply 44October 21, 2024 3:32 AM

Wife #1

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45October 21, 2024 3:39 AM

R44, not to mention, Woodward was "engaged" to Gore Vidal when she met Newman, and was even living with him at the time. But she later revealed that she was bearding for him.

by Anonymousreply 46October 21, 2024 4:09 AM

Oh boy. Wife #1 only agreed to divorce Newman when mistress Woodward became PREGNANT ? ?

How classy of the lovebirds.

[quote]Despite the ongoing humiliation happening in the public eye, Jackie refused to sign the divorce papers. It wasnā€™t until new events forced her hand. Word got out that Joanne was pregnant with Newmanā€™s baby (Claire Olivia Newman), which become the last straw.

by Anonymousreply 47October 21, 2024 4:20 AM

I bet you're still steaming over Liz stealing Eddie away from Debbie, r47.

by Anonymousreply 48October 21, 2024 4:44 AM

I thought Joanne agreed to be engaged to Gore to help his political career.

by Anonymousreply 49October 21, 2024 5:23 AM

[quote] Not in real life, apparently. Paul said that when they met, she nearly drove him mad with lust. He went after her hard.

Paul Newman went after every available pussy hard. It's a well known fact that the idyllic marriage image Newman and Woodward projected in public hid many, many indiscretions on Mr. Newman's part.

by Anonymousreply 50October 21, 2024 5:34 AM

Joanne was also said to have her flings, with the dancer Dennis Wayne and actor Dylan McDermott.

by Anonymousreply 51October 21, 2024 5:42 AM

We built her up as 'The New Shirley Booth'.

by Anonymousreply 52October 21, 2024 9:44 AM

In other threads, DLers said Paul Newman was gay.

I don't find Joanne Woodward sexy or attractive. Her speaking voice is not really feminine or attractive. Sort of like Doris Day's voice.

by Anonymousreply 53October 21, 2024 9:55 AM

full stream

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 21, 2024 10:00 AM

When Joanne was making The Stripper this was the only film being made at the studio since Fox at the time was being bankrupted by the excesses of Cleopatra.

by Anonymousreply 55October 21, 2024 7:17 PM

That film was originally planned for Marilyn Monroe.

Sexless eunuch Joanne W is an odd second choice.

by Anonymousreply 56October 21, 2024 7:35 PM

R23, she doesnā€™t have Alzheimerā€™s, she has a form of dementia. That means she knows her name but forgot everyone elseā€™s.

by Anonymousreply 57October 21, 2024 7:57 PM

[quote]r57 dementiaā€¦she knows her name but forgot everyone elseā€™s.

Iā€™d hope she still remember the name of the woman whose life she ruined. Just as a common courtesy.

It was Jacqueline Emily Newman (nƩe Witte)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 21, 2024 9:58 PM

^ You're a real pain in the ass, R58. You sound like my great grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 59October 21, 2024 10:08 PM

Iā€™m sure she was a lovely woman!

by Anonymousreply 60October 22, 2024 2:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!