Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Scared for fate the of western democracy

I was just reading about Russia's interference in Canadian politics - using disinformation to spread right wing lies. They were using both Jordan Peterson and Tucker Carlson as proxies. Putin has used disinformation for years to destabilize democracy in the west. Both Brexit and the first (hopefully last) Trump administration would not have happened without Putin's disinformation campaign.

Now the same gruesome campaign is being waged against Harris/Walz. It is INSANE to me that so many on the right and far left support Putin. We are in great danger of losing our democracy and some people don't even seem to care. In fact almost 50% of the public and large swaths of young people won't even vote. I am freaking that their ignorance and apathy many lead to the end of democracy in America.

How the fuck did we get here?

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2024 12:52 PM

Social media.

by Anonymousreply 1October 19, 2024 12:29 AM

Race. That’s how. If Russians looked like Somalian people, the stupid ass crackers here in the states wouldn’t love it.

by Anonymousreply 2October 19, 2024 12:32 AM

Jordan Peterson and Tucker Carlson being laid by Russia discussed here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3October 19, 2024 12:33 AM

There must be something in the water. How the hell does someone like Trump become President? He'll do whatever Putin wants.

by Anonymousreply 4October 19, 2024 12:34 AM

Jordan Peterson and Tucker Carlson being Paid by Russia discussed here:

(Probably laid too)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 19, 2024 12:34 AM

Today on NPR they were interviewing some "undecided" voter frau and she said "I know we might lose some of our rights under Trump, but gas and groceries were so much more affordable when he was in office."

Unfuckingbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 6October 19, 2024 12:38 AM

I'm really sick to death of feeling like I can't believe most of the news. People like that jerk Tucker Carlson, and others, too. It's hard to tell who else is putting out disinformation as well. I also wish actors like George Clooney would stfu, too. Yes, I know Putin has done a lot of serious meddling in elections around the world. It's disheartening and plants doubts, and I guess that's his objective. To destabilize countries, but I don't believe he's the only one. It'll never end, and it's hard to know who to believe about anything.

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2024 12:52 AM

[quote]Scared for fate the of western democracy

Why set your sights so low, when the the sky's the limit? Maximize your drama and be scared for the fate of the planet, the solar system, the universe, alternate dimensions...

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2024 12:55 AM

[quote]Yes, I know Putin has done a lot of serious meddling in elections around the world.

How do you feel about the serious meddling in elections around the world done by the US over the decades?

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2024 12:57 AM

I'm scared for OP's word order, R8.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2024 1:25 AM

Kamala will save us!

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2024 1:27 AM

Have a drink, OP 🍸.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2024 1:29 AM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2024 1:30 AM

[quote]OP: It is INSANE to me that so many on the right and far left support Putin.

Who on the "far left" supports Putin?

Bothsides much?

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2024 3:24 AM

It’s easy to ridicule the OP for being histrionic but I’m actually scared too. There is a possibility she will win the popular vote and lose the EC. I could tell by the mainstream media’s narrative lately, that’s what they anticipate will happen. But what does it all mean. It means a lot actually. If Trump wins law & order is out the window. It also validates January 6th. He cannot win. It’s not being a Mary or scary liberal at this point. If he wins America is over.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2024 4:03 AM

Russia fucked with Canadian politics?

Not even Canadians care about Canadian politics.

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2024 4:06 AM

R15 If it really is that bad I’m sure the CIA could take him out.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2024 4:13 AM

Don't blame your shitty candidate on Putin. He didn't pick her.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2024 4:26 AM

Agree with OP.

by Anonymousreply 19October 19, 2024 4:35 AM

It’s xenophobic but maybe tying them to disinformation will make it harder for their crap to be noticed.

by Anonymousreply 20October 19, 2024 4:44 AM

The disinformation campaign is being actively helped and amplified on social media by owner oligarchs like Musk and Zuckerberg - particularly Musk.

by Anonymousreply 21October 19, 2024 8:51 AM

I’m scared as shit too. But to save what is left of my sanity I had to stop watching the news , even morning Joe and all the rest.

I will vote. All I can do. When I get multiple emails a day from Act Blue etc., I delete and report junk.

I fantasize about starting to drink if Trump gets in, but I’m already so old … why rush it???

by Anonymousreply 22October 19, 2024 10:33 AM

Ha! I first read this post as “Scared for fat in the of western democracy.” Still true.

by Anonymousreply 23October 19, 2024 10:39 AM

And we should care about your inability to parse words, why exactly?

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2024 10:56 AM

OP then do something other than bitch on the Internet to people that already agree with for the most part 100%. Get off your ass, do something, enlist, and be ready to fight Putin when the time comes. Or stay on DL and talk a lot.

We can assume you are ready to do your part and be ready to fight?

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2024 11:11 AM

[quote]be ready to fight Putin when the time comes.

You know, Red Dawn is just a movie, not a prophesy.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2024 12:33 PM

R16, maybe have a think.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2024 12:36 PM

R26 and yet we have 10000s of US troops training hard so they can kick Putin’s ass when the time comes. Other Americans sit on their ass and whine and bitch on the Internet.

Despite posting on DL life is not totally someone’s movie.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2024 12:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!