Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump Spews Profanity and Bizarre Insults at Catholic Charity Dinner

The Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner, a decades-old annual event in New York City, is typically an evening of lighthearted fare, with political and cultural leaders taking turns poking fun at one another and themselves.

But former President Donald Trump landed like a bomb onstage at the charity event on Thursday night, delivering a profanity-laden speech that saw him alternate between raging about the unfairness of his legal situation and taking hostile swipes at his enemies.

Trump lashed out at President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, and the transgender community over the course of roughly 30 minutes.

The white tie dinner, in which money is raised for Catholic charities, has customarily marked the last time both major party presidential candidates appear on the same stage before the election. Harris said last month that a conflicting campaign event would keep her from attending the event, something that Trump repeatedly seized on in his speech.

“But I must say, I was shocked when I heard that Kamala was skipping the Al Smith dinner,” he said. “I’d really hoped that she would come, because we can’t get enough of hearing her beautiful laugh. She laughs like crazy. We would recognize it anyplace in this room.”

He was frequently economical with his words, jabbing at Harris and Biden with a single insult. “We have someone in the White House who can barely talk, barely put together two coherent sentences, who seems to have mental faculties of a child, is a person that has no intelligence whatsoever—but enough about Kamala Harris,” Trump quipped.

The former president suggested he couldn’t wait to wash his hands of the vice president after Election Day. “When we hopefully win, dispose of her, I’ll like her a lot, but right now I can’t stand her,” he said.

Trump’s speech veered into transphobia as he speculated on Harris’ election chances. Addressing Schumer, he said, “He looks glum. But look on the bright side. Consider how woke your party has become, if she loses, you still have a chance to become the first woman president.”

The former president cracked another transphobic joke later in targeting Harris’ running mate. “I used to think the Democrats were crazy for saying men have periods, but then I met Tim Walz,” Trump said.

He and Schumer were photographed together by the Associated Press as the dinner ended, speaking while seated at a table. The New York Post reported that Schumer and Trump had been assigned seats close to each other, “with only Cardinal Dolan between them.”

Dolan was in the audience as Trump swore up a storm onstage.

“I don’t give a s--- if this is comedy or not,” he said.

But the most important person who figured into Trump’s speech was, of course, himself. “I’m supposed to tell a few self-deprecating jokes,” he told the audience. “So here it goes,” he said, pausing for effect. “Nope. I’ve got nothing. I’ve got nothing!”

Trump added, “I guess I just do not see the point in taking shots at myself when other people have been shooting at me for a long time.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2024 9:03 AM

"Waaaaaaah!! Poor meeeeee!!!" wails grifter.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2024 8:40 PM

It's too bad nobody uses vaudeville hooks any more.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2024 8:51 PM

Sisiter MARY Agnes!!!

Get her the vapors!!!

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2024 8:51 PM

He's acting like something from another tax bracket.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2024 9:03 PM

Who writes his "jokes"?

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2024 9:04 PM

Kamala should have been there. Bad form. Of course, that gave Trump his opening but I would have liked to see how she handled that.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2024 9:05 PM

I acknowledge it's tradition, but it's about as far from real life as you can get. White tie, old school power structures, elitist, a splash of Jesus with an altar boy chaser... 99.9% of Americans will never be invited into that room. (And I say this as someone who wishes the whole country was the mirror image of Greenwich, CT.)

She did herself no harm whatsoever by skipping that dinner.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2024 9:19 PM

[quote]Trump added, “I guess I just do not see the point in taking shots at myself when other people have been shooting at me for a long time.”

But they miss, Donald.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2024 9:23 PM

But Dump, it is your OWN "supporters" trying take you out!

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2024 9:27 PM

[quote] But former President Donald Trump landed like a bomb onstage at the charity event on Thursday night

While some of the fun for him was telling off a captive audience, like at Schumer, I’m sure it was mostly for the social media audience and not for the (presumably hostile) audience in the room. Looking at X this afternoon, there was a lot of cheering by his supporters for his questioning of Schumer and Walz’s manhood, for example. It excites the base.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2024 9:45 PM

[quote]It excites the base.

That image is enough to make a maggot gag.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2024 9:47 PM

I’ve never even heard of this event. Harris was smart to skip it.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2024 10:05 PM

In other news ... SKY = blue. WATER = wet.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2024 10:06 PM

[quote] Trump Spews Profanity and Bizarre Insults at Catholic Charity Dinner

The only thing missing from Trump's speech, was him spewing green vomit.

Someone should have called an exorcist to cast this demon out!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2024 10:10 PM

R6 Trump made note that the last Democrat not to attend was Walter Mondale. Trump didn’t attend in 2020. I think it was smart for her to be on the campaign trail.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2024 10:17 PM

[quote]“I used to think the Democrats were crazy for saying men have periods, but then I met Tim Walz,” Trump said.

Said the man who wore a tampon on his ear.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2024 10:22 PM

[quote] I’ve never even heard of this event.

And somehow you’re proud of that ignorance and want everyone to know about it?

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2024 10:29 PM

Dumb prick

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2024 10:31 PM

Did he try to sell Trump Bibles?

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2024 10:47 PM

Chuck Schumer sat there thinking WTF? Cardinal Dolan needs to apologise to one and all re TFG.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2024 10:52 PM

This is in New York City? Isn't Dump a convicted felon there? Why isn't he in custody?

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2024 11:04 PM

For R5:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2024 11:12 PM

It didn't all go his way:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2024 11:31 PM

He hasn't been sentenced yet, r21.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2024 11:38 PM

I wish someone had donated a bucket of pigs blood.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2024 6:12 AM

He's vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2024 6:46 AM

Sorry to say and don't want to say it. But it seems like Trump landed a couple of those jokes.

Trump added, “I guess I just do not see the point in taking shots at myself when other people have been shooting at me for a long time.”

I mean, a clever person wrote that.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2024 7:05 AM

[quote]“I guess I just do not see the point in taking shots at myself when other people have been shooting at me for a long time.”

Self-pity isn't clever, in an old supposedly super-rich man it's contemptible and pathetic. A more sane mature and witty man would win over the room by self-mocking some known peccadillos. But as Trump is all peccadillo and worse, he has no core of merit to make that work. And sociopaths don't do self-deprecation. All the deprecation is for everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2024 1:18 PM

Harris didn't miss a thing. And fuck these rich fucks who just sitting there enduring this because they think Trump can get re-elected and protect their wealth.

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2024 1:23 PM

[quote]He's vulgar.

He's a short-fingered vulgarian

by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2024 2:07 PM

I love this story from Graydon Carter. Happy Saturday morning reading!

[QUOTE]Like so many bullies, Trump has skin of gossamer. He thinks nothing of saying the most hurtful thing about someone else, but when he hears a whisper that runs counter to his own vainglorious self-image, he coils like a caged ferret. Just to drive him a little bit crazy, I took to referring to him as a “short-fingered vulgarian” in the pages of Spy magazine. That was more than a quarter of a century ago. To this day, I receive the occasional envelope from Trump. There is always a photo of him—generally a tear sheet from a magazine. On all of them he has circled his hand in gold Sharpie in a valiant effort to highlight the length of his fingers. I almost feel sorry for the poor fellow because, to me, the fingers still look abnormally stubby. The most recent offering arrived earlier this year, before his decision to go after the Republican presidential nomination. Like the other packages, this one included a circled hand and the words, also written in gold Sharpie: “See, not so short!” I sent the picture back by return mail with a note attached, saying, “Actually, quite short.” Which I can only assume gave him fits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2024 2:28 PM

If he wins, I wonder how many important people will leave the country? I mean, I'd be nervous as fuck I'd be knee deep in IRS audits, hassles at customs, etc. etc. He's spiteful, he's amoral and he'll be packing the system with his toadies. If you've got the money, the rest of the G7 is probably looking pretty good right now.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2024 2:54 PM

I should clarify when I say important people I mean prominent people who've been critical of him, like Carter @ R31, like so many journalists etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2024 2:55 PM

Sorry to be linking to ***trigger warning*** Piers Morgan (whom Richard Dawkins called a moron), but his recent guest, MAGA Vincent Oshana, has the most insane message for liberals:

"If only you idiots had voted for Trump in 2020, YOU'D BE RID OF HIM NOW!!!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2024 3:02 PM

And he wore the wrong tie!

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2024 3:07 PM

Gaffigan was such a Trump bootlick, it was boring and unfunny and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2024 3:08 PM

of course he wouldn't dare offend the cardinal. He thought nothing of trashing Schumer though or Kamala. I tried to sit through it but it was such a yawn I wondered how Trump could stay awake.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2024 3:09 PM

Conservatives have no sense of humor. They think expressing contempt is humor. It isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2024 3:11 PM

Isn't Schumer Jewish? Why is he there?

by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2024 3:17 PM

[quote]"If only you idiots had voted for Trump in 2020, YOU'D BE RID OF HIM NOW!!!"

Which idiotically underestimates Trump's steamroller ambition. Anyone who could sponsor J6 and still be serene and proud of it would have had not the slightest compunction in doing everything possible, legality irrelevant, to bludgeon his way to a third term.

by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2024 3:23 PM

Let's write jokes for Turd:

"I'm not saying my wife was a prostitute, but on our first date she blew me in the car and stole my wallet".

by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2024 3:23 PM

[quote]Isn't Schumer Jewish? Why is he there?

Catholics like the use of gargoyles, and an appearance by Schumer works well for this purpose.

by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2024 3:25 PM

That story at R31 is fucking hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2024 3:35 PM

How are these old perverts still in business? Just this past Wednesday, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles agreed to pay out $880 MILLION to 1400 molestation victims.

No wonder they invited Donald Trump to their gathering of professional child molesters and their protectors. He fit right in.

by Anonymousreply 44October 19, 2024 3:46 PM

Lots of people there are not Catholic. Why shouldn’t Jews be there?

by Anonymousreply 45October 19, 2024 3:52 PM

It is actually the Catholic Church which puts iit on.

by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2024 3:55 PM

Trump knows he flopped. Afterwards, on Fox and Friends, he claimed that he had somebody at Fox write the jokes for him. Fox officially denied writing any jokes for him.

by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2024 3:59 PM

I try to understand. I can see how certain people could find him a little amusing? He made a couple of comments that were just nasty. Very negative energy!

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2024 4:06 PM

[quote]I try to understand. I can see how certain people could find him a little amusing? He made a couple of comments that were just nasty. Very negative energy!

Remember Michelle Wolf mocking Sarah Sanders' appearance at the White House Correspondents' Dinner? Certain people found that amusing too. Not unprecedented.

by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2024 4:13 PM

Can’t think of a single modestly self deprecating remark because the whole purpose of his politicking is to milk Musk, brag about himself, and put down anyone who doesn’t kiss his ass. Why is this senile felon not locked up and doing his time?!

by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2024 5:01 PM

Great take on the dinner from the NYT:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2024 5:24 PM

[quote]There he stood, the godhead of a populist revenge movement

[quote]You could see the ones who had submitted to Mr. Trump, sitting beside members of a gorgonized establishment still unsure how to treat him, much less stop him.

Excellent NYT piece @ R51, thanks for posting. The first quote is a perfect summary of Trump's squalid modus operandi, never seen it put better. Its chilling brute effectiveness is shown in quote two.

Small wonder the article concludes with mention of prayer. As in, it's manifest what half the room was praying for. And for the rest of us, it really can't do any harm.

by Anonymousreply 52October 19, 2024 6:07 PM

R47, TFG just lies so fucking easily, no shame. Faux Tales won't even stand for that lie.

by Anonymousreply 53October 19, 2024 7:41 PM

He knows he sucked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2024 7:44 PM

What sort of towel do you put down on someone's chair at a white tie event?

Does Frette make suitable towels - is there such a thing as "white tie" towels?

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2024 8:30 PM

Was Shady Vance there? Doesn’t he claim he became a Catholic?

No Biden or Pelosi, however.

by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2024 8:58 PM

[quote]Trump Blames Speechwriters for His Comedic Flops

Said the main who often boasts that he hires only the best people.

by Anonymousreply 57October 19, 2024 10:11 PM

The latest... a heart warming story about Arnold Palmer's dick:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2024 1:59 AM

[quote]Remember Michelle Wolf mocking Sarah Sanders

Yes, and it was hilarious. She didn't mock her appearance. She called her a liar and compared her to Aunt Lydia from The Handmaid's Tale. Just because the right took offense doesn't make it actually offensive. You know how they are. They get the vapors but only selectively.

by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2024 2:16 AM

That interview with Don Bagina was baaad. Trump seemed like he just rolled out of bed, stiff and foggy. Relying on the tired old whines, exaggerations and conspiracy theories. But this time sounding old and defeated.

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2024 7:46 AM

The media is all calling Kamala a no-show.

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2024 1:38 PM

[quote] The media is all calling Kamala a no-show.

The dinner is to “raise funds for Catholic charities supporting children of various needs in the Archdiocese of New York.” Maybe her people believe she doesn’t need the Catholic vote.

by Anonymousreply 62October 20, 2024 2:57 PM

She doesn’t need to pander for votes in New York.

by Anonymousreply 63October 20, 2024 3:16 PM

[quote] The media is all calling Kamala a no-show.

Next, they'll be calling her a "shit Vice-President."

Because we all know that they really want Trump to have a second term.

He keeps them in business, and that's all that matters to them.

by Anonymousreply 64October 20, 2024 3:41 PM

On the contrary, they are owned by billionaires who care not a whit whether they make any money in their business model. The number of people paid to spread lying republican propaganda runs into the millions because these bilionaires have too much money and care not one whit for "business."

by Anonymousreply 65October 20, 2024 4:00 PM

“I’m beautiful, you’re beautiful, we’re all beautiful. But not thing is more beautiful than January 6th. I’d do it all over again if I have to. I’ll never admit I lost the election!”

by Anonymousreply 66October 20, 2024 4:03 PM

1st, the dinner has changed.

2nd, the Catholic Church has changed.

3rd, the Republican Party has changed.

4th, Trump has changed.

Her handlers were correct in having her avoid this steaming pile of shit in the name of

5th, Catholic Charities, which may or may not have changed.

by Anonymousreply 67October 20, 2024 4:07 PM

National Catholic Reporter on the Al Smith Dinner:

"The real outrage is that Trump, given the public nature and extent of his repulsive record, should be invited to a fundraiser for an organization, Catholic Charities, that has long worked in the trenches to save and transform lives on society's farthest margins. It is tragic that the guest of honor this year will be someone whose personal example and policy wishes are in a collision course with the principles of Catholic social teaching."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68October 20, 2024 4:31 PM

Yet, they invite him, knowing full well what a prick he is and clutch their pearls about his behavior.

YOU are now covered in HIS stench.

by Anonymousreply 69October 20, 2024 5:16 PM

…its all so unbelievable… carrying on in PA about Arnold Palmer’s dick. It’s very vary hard to be optimistic about the future.

Does anyone remember when Howard Dean’s yelp when he won a primary ending his candidacy? How about John Edward’s extramarital affair and Gary Hart’s pic with a babe on his lap while in a fishing outing.

What the gell has happened to the level of events? Trump make Joe McCarthy look like milk and cookies!

by Anonymousreply 70October 20, 2024 5:58 PM

What would Roy Cohn look like in comparison to those two?

by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2024 9:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!