Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

TV arcs that made you think the writers must hate the actor

I was thinking about The Walking Dead and how they destroyed Andrea's character. They kept putting her in absurd situations like sleeping with the Governor. There was a ridiculous scene where he chased Andrea through a cornfield in a pick up truck. It made me believe the actress must have been a total cunt and the writers were making her stupid on purpose.

by Anonymousreply 78October 21, 2024 6:32 PM

Diana Muldaur

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2024 7:39 PM

Suzanne and Noel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2024 7:52 PM

That storyline on Knots Landing when they made Val go crazy after hitting her head in an accident. They put her in a proto-Kate Gosselin wig, had her dress like an extra from a Michael Jackson video, and then had poor Val fry up her kids’ pet crabs.

Joan Van Ark has gone on record saying she hated the storyline and didn’t like the direction the show was going-she quit the show the next season.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2024 7:56 PM

Samantha on SATC. She went from sex loving to being an actual sex addict to the point of nueroses.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2024 7:57 PM

^^I thought that was kind of realistic. And it gave Cattrall more to do.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2024 8:31 PM

They had to get rid of Andrea because the actress who played her had distracting nostrils. Might as well send her out with a bang.

That was such a shitty show. I can’t believe I stayed with it for several seasons.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2024 10:26 PM

Charlie Sheen 2 1/2 men.

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2024 10:43 PM

Killing off Andrea on TWD was a big mistake, and a departure from the graphic novels. The show was good (albeit formulaic) up until the arrival of Negan. That season destroyed the show for me, but I kept watching for another year or two hoping for a turnaround that never came. Then I threw in the towel. They continually killed off the likable characters and then introduced insufferable bores to replace them.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2024 12:47 PM

True Blood. They could have given Tara a better arc.

by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2024 2:07 PM

Emma Samms on The Colbys and her alien abduction story.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2024 9:26 PM

Joss Whedon was furious at Charisma Carpenter for getting pregnant and ruining his story plans on Angel. So he had her character become possessed by an evil entity, do some really unforgivable, disgusting things, then wrote her off the show by putting her in a coma. The next year, he asked her to come back for one episode to tie up her story lines. She didn't want to, but agreed on the condition that they wouldn't bring her back just to kill her off. They agreed. She came back for the one episode, and they killed her off.

by Anonymousreply 11October 20, 2024 8:47 AM

What an interesting topic. I've not watched most of these shows, but I've never really considered the idea of purposely torturing an actor with a bad storyline. Carry on!

by Anonymousreply 12October 20, 2024 8:54 AM

Sharon Case on Y&R has had some pretty lousy plots to play in her 30 years on the show.

I've come to view her character Sharon Newman as the "poor Val" of saytime soaps.

by Anonymousreply 13October 20, 2024 9:45 AM

Agreed OP. I really liked Andrea in the first 2 seasons. She was fearless, strong willed, an all-round badass. What she became after she met the Governor made zero sense. But again, anything after season 4 with TWD made zero sense.

by Anonymousreply 14October 20, 2024 9:54 AM

How Edie Britt was killed off.

Marc Cherry clearly loved putting Nicolette through this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 20, 2024 9:58 AM

[quote]Joan Van Ark has gone on record

Her lack of professional discretion is much appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 16October 20, 2024 10:08 AM

Joan, in Mad Men. They made her whore herself to an automobile executive as I recall, and it felt out of character and punitive. Maybe she knocked back a show runner, she was hot stuff.

by Anonymousreply 17October 20, 2024 10:10 AM

Didn't Ryan Murphy punish Chord Overstreet on Glee for wanting a raise or regular cast credit or something? I can't remember why but they did put him in humiliating situations on the show for awhile

by Anonymousreply 18October 20, 2024 10:16 AM

Deanna Troy (Marina Sirtis) on Star Trek, the time when her arc was boobs + tortured look on her face + "I'm sensing something"

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2024 11:07 AM

Shannen Doherty in her last episodes of 90210 when all the gang hated Brenda for one reason or another.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2024 11:36 AM

Lucy Ricardo in the wine vat stomping grapes. You know Lucy must've pissed off Desi.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2024 3:15 PM

[quote]They made her whore herself to an automobile executive as I recall, and it felt out of character and punitive

I think it was well established that Joan was not above using her sexuality to get ahead and didn't seem out of character at all. She became a partner and made millions.

I do think the treatment of Betty Draper, going from sympathetic 'lost little girl in a world of grown ups' and wronged wife in season one to bitter, selfish (and for one season, tubby) in subsequent seasons would be an example of what OP refers to.

by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2024 3:34 PM

R15 - Nicolette again, but on Knots Landing when they hooked her character up as a sexy 20-something with that wizened, unwashed 50-something Greg Sumner. I loved Bill Devane on the show, but just ewwww.

Nicolette might have a proclivity for pissing off the wrong people. They also bounced her ass pretty fast from the Dynasty reboot.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2024 3:42 PM

Mary Ingalls (Melissa Sue Anderson) in various unpleasant storylines on Little House on the Prairie, including at least two hostage situations, rape attempts, and her baby being burned alive.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2024 3:43 PM

Fifi suddenly getting three baboons as roommates. Helen Lawson must've really pissed the writers off.

by Anonymousreply 25October 20, 2024 4:00 PM

[quote] Nicolette again, but on Knots Landing when they hooked her character up as a sexy 20-something with that wizened, unwashed 50-something Greg Sumner. I loved Bill Devane on the show, but just ewwww.

They did that pretty early on, but also, Greg and Paige were a very popular couple and their pairing pretty much made Sheridan on that show. I doubt she was complaining.

by Anonymousreply 26October 20, 2024 4:11 PM

Lindsey has one of those jammed up her cunt.

Dump enjoys zapping her pussy while she’s on the air on Sunday morning, that’s why she’s so erratic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27October 20, 2024 4:15 PM

Betty on Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 28October 20, 2024 4:22 PM

[quote] Agreed OP. I really liked Andrea in the first 2 seasons. She was fearless, strong willed, an all-round badass. What she became after she met the Governor made zero sense. But again, anything after season 4 with TWD made zero sense.

She was a Frank Darabont loyalist, along with Jeffrey DeMunn.

We all know how that ended up.

Darabont was at war with AMC at the end of season one, so AMC fired Darabont (who actually brought the Walking Dead to television), and DeMunn sided with Darabont. So DeMunn's character Dale got his guts ripped out by a Walker at the end of season two.

Andrea got eaten by zombie Milton at the end of season three.

Both Laurie Holden and Jeffrey DeMunn were brought to the show by Frank Darabont at the very beginning of season one.

But I feel the character the writers REALLY hated the most was Sarah Wayne Callies who played the Lori Grimes, Rick's wife.

In season one, she was a whore who slept with Rick's best friend Shane. When she discovered that Rick was alive, she then turned on Shane and treated him like shit for the rest of season one.

Then in season two, it was found out she was pregnant (probably with Shane's kid).

So they made her try to abort her baby (which we know will turn the audience against her), and she sent Glenn (one of the most loved characters) to get the abortion pills for her and he almost got killed by a zombie because of it.

She also acted like the Queen Bee around camp, ordering the other campers around, while doing jack shit.

Then Lori tried to turn Rick against Shane, to get him out of the picture. This led to Rick killing Shane at the end of season two, ALL BECAUSE OF LORI.

When Lori found out that Rick killed Shane, she then turned against HIM at the end of season two!

Her whole story arc was so confusing, because it seems like they purposely made her character the absolute WORST person in the world.

Read the online comments about Lori Grimes. The fans HATE HER.

They call her a whore, they call her manipulative, they call her lazy, etc.

And so what happens in season three?

Early in the season, a very pregnant Lori is forced to give birth early because of a pregnancy complication.

At the same time, they are being chased by zombies in a surprise attack.

So while hiding in one area of the prison, Maggie is forced to cut the baby out of her stomach with a dull knife (no anesthesia), the baby is yanked out from her, at which time she dies from blood loss.

And the coup de grace is when 11 year old Carl has to shoot his mom in the head so that she doesn't turn into a zombie.

Oh, wait. There's one more final insult to her character.

When Rick goes searching for her later, he finds that a zombie ate Lori, all the way down to her bones! The zombie is sitting next to her bones, and he can't stand up because his stomach is too full after eating all of Lori.

Lol, I seriously think that the writers did all of this on purpose.

The actress Sarah Wayne Callies seems cold and aloof, and I can only guess that they didn't like her, and purposely made the audience hate her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 20, 2024 4:29 PM

Sorry that was meant for the Kristen Welker thread, although it sort of works here.

by Anonymousreply 30October 20, 2024 4:29 PM

Jesus, R29, that sounds BRUTAL. I was not a fan of the pilot for TWD so I never bothered to watch past the first episode, but your description was more savage than actually watching a horror movie. Nice job.

by Anonymousreply 31October 20, 2024 4:33 PM

Jan fucking Brady

by Anonymousreply 32October 20, 2024 4:59 PM

Every single one of the characters on And Just Like That.

by Anonymousreply 33October 20, 2024 5:03 PM

R24 Also her being blind. In her book, Alison Arngrim mentions how bitter Melissa Sue was about being given that storyline.

by Anonymousreply 34October 20, 2024 5:31 PM

The real sister of Laura Ingalls did go blind, IIRC.

by Anonymousreply 35October 20, 2024 5:38 PM

In the soap world it had to be Laura Weber........ The actress/character that brought soaps back to life and they ended up treating the actress/character like shit.

by Anonymousreply 36October 20, 2024 5:41 PM

Jessica Biel on 7th Heaven

by Anonymousreply 37October 20, 2024 5:47 PM

Supposedly Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey) was upset that the actors who played Matthew and Sybill did not renew their contracts.

Matthew's last scene was with his dead, bloody head under the wheel of car.

Sybill (pregnant, sweaty, and in bed) looked absolutely horrible in her final episode. She was actually the most conventionally good-looking woman in the cast and he managed to make her look horrible.

by Anonymousreply 38October 20, 2024 6:08 PM

[quote] Supposedly Julian Fellowes (Downton Abbey) was upset that the actors who played Matthew and Sybill did not renew their contracts.

I feel like if you really have plans for characters, you shouldn't let an actor leaving derail them. Why not just recast? It's not like either one of those actors was a big star, and audiences these days are far less attached to a particular actor than they were years ago.

by Anonymousreply 39October 20, 2024 6:12 PM

My first thought upon reading the thread title was Betty Draper. I had the feeling Matt Weiner loathed January Jones. That gross storyline with his creepy son! Betty calling the housekeeper the N word! BETTY BECOMING FAT.

Yeah, somebody despised the actress, all right.

by Anonymousreply 40October 20, 2024 6:14 PM

[quote]Samantha on SATC. She went from sex loving to being an actual sex addict to the point of nueroses.

Was that a case of the writers hating Kim, or just Secretariat—er, Sarah Jessica Parker doing so?

by Anonymousreply 41October 20, 2024 6:37 PM

Nancy's on-the-run season (4 ?) On Weeds. It was really weird that for three seasons her intimate scenes were relatively tame and there was no really nudity, then we have her getting spanked in a really aggressive way in the back of a limo, and the worst, the scene where her brother-in-law sucks milk out of her breasts in a public restroom. Just really bonkers plus that seemed to indicate someone wanted to humiliate Mary Louise Parker.

by Anonymousreply 42October 20, 2024 6:47 PM

[quote] I feel like if you really have plans for characters, you shouldn't let an actor leaving derail them. Why not just recast?

That's a good point. I think that the Downton audience may have had a hard time with a new Matthew. The actor wasn't famous, but I think it was a good love story between him and Mary. The Sybill character was kind of superfluous (1 of 3 sisters) except that she was married to a popular character (driver/servant who snagged Lady Sybill). I guess she could have been re-cast.

by Anonymousreply 43October 20, 2024 6:59 PM

I vaguely remember that too, R18. Chord Overstreet had been on for a while, and they were setting up a Sam & Quinn pairing. When Sam returned, he was working as an underage stripper to support his family, then they moved him onto Mercedes. I'm still not quite sure what was going on there. Was it to keep Chord in line? Or Dianna Aragon? Was it to ensure that Lea Michele and Cory Monteith would remain the romantic faces of the show?

by Anonymousreply 44October 20, 2024 7:01 PM

I don't think Mary Louise Parker was humiliated by getting her tits out or pretending to fuck hot actors, r42. That says more about you and your attitude towards sex than anything else. It's not like they gave Nancy Botwin a raging scat fetish.

by Anonymousreply 45October 20, 2024 7:41 PM

Kim Cattrall got sick of SJP never having to go topless. Meanwhile, Kim was always tits-out.

On the Sopranos, the more esteemed actresses never had their tits out (EG, Edie Falco was never shown topless). The lesser-known actresses were always topless (e.g., Tony's girlfriend in the last season or so, Valentina).

by Anonymousreply 46October 20, 2024 7:44 PM

[quote]I don't think Mary Louise Parker was humiliated by getting her tits out or pretending to fuck hot actors

Didn't MLP get to have a hot sex scene with Mark Paul Gosselaar? Talk about loving your job. Plus she had a smoking body herself so she had nothing to feel shame about.

by Anonymousreply 47October 20, 2024 9:11 PM

[quote] Kim Cattrall got sick of SJP never having to go topless. Meanwhile, Kim was always tits-out.

DL would have a complete melt down if SJP went topless. She’d be ripped to shreds and then the jokes…🐴

by Anonymousreply 48October 20, 2024 9:16 PM

Rumor has it SJP was keen to show off her implants and performed the first sex scene topless (where some ex is eating her box). Word is that as soon as they saw the rushes, the producers were so horrified they demanded a reshoot and hastily added a no-nudity-ever stipulation into her contract!

by Anonymousreply 49October 20, 2024 9:56 PM

I heard she always had no nudity in her contract.

by Anonymousreply 50October 20, 2024 10:08 PM

Sarah never wanted to do nudity. She even discussed her no nudity rule on Howard Stern’s show.

by Anonymousreply 51October 20, 2024 10:18 PM

SJP made that up afterwards to save face. Word is he boob job was botched and her nips look like they were seen on by a drunk epileptic

by Anonymousreply 52October 20, 2024 10:29 PM

You can always tell by the way Shonda "writes" a character out of a show what she really thinks about the actor. Sometimes I didn't blame her for the pettiness even enjoyed it. Other times it was like WTF.

The way she wrote off Katherine Hiegel was just laughable. but somewhat deserved. I don't think the Izzy character had any fans left after she had Izzy cheat with George, get cancer, have sex with a ghost while married to Alex, and then leave Alex with a Dear John letter.

Oh and Don't get me started on how she just fully stopped writing for TR Knight for basically an entire season and then have his character join the military and get hit by a bus and die all in the span of one episode.

She pulled similar stuff with Patrick but if I am not mistaken he admitted he was being an ass after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 53October 20, 2024 11:06 PM

Priscilla Presley on Dallas.

by Anonymousreply 54October 20, 2024 11:08 PM

[quote]Priscilla Presley on Dallas.

Pardon me but that would be Priscilla BEAULIEU Presley.

Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 55October 20, 2024 11:24 PM

Shirley on her last season of Laverne and Shirley.

by Anonymousreply 56October 20, 2024 11:26 PM

In context at the time this episode aired, KH was acting a bit full of herself about her movie career and had only shown up to work sporadically. It was obvious to me that this speech Alex gave was Shonda speaking directly to KH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57October 20, 2024 11:28 PM

Brad Carlton's (Don Diamante) character arcs on The Young and the Restless. He was very hot when he came on the show. Somehow, Victor Newman could be the only "attractive" guy on the stupid show. Even handsome (but wooden actor) Jack Abbott had a shitty arc due to Victor Newman. Was Eric Braeden fucking somebody?

by Anonymousreply 58October 20, 2024 11:30 PM

I wanted to eat Don's ass more than anything. Especially during his thick ass daddy days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59October 20, 2024 11:32 PM

Reba

by Anonymousreply 60October 20, 2024 11:46 PM

Former restaurant worker here. I served Don Diamante a drink. He was very nice. He was sitting down, but I remember thinking he was smaller than I thought he'd be. Small head. Very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 61October 20, 2024 11:58 PM

[R24], I came here to post the same thing. It began in the first Christmas episode when everyone received beautiful gifts, and Mary, in contrast, received a quilted pelt shawl made from the fur of local varmint. It was then and there I thought someone on LHOTP had it out for MSA. When an older MSA appeared onscreen in that horrendous wig it confirmed my belief. Someone was out to play down her looks

by Anonymousreply 62October 21, 2024 12:17 AM

Apparently, Michael Landon was got involved with an 18-year-old on set that he later married. The teen grew into a full-fledge, bleached-blonde bimbo.

Maybe Mary had a "bad attitude" about that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63October 21, 2024 12:53 AM

[quote]Kim Cattrall got sick of SJP never having to go topless. Meanwhile, Kim was always tits-out

Not to derail the thread and turn it into another Sex and the City Kim vs SJP debate but one of the HBOs was running the complete series last week and so I watched for the first time in years. Especially in the early seasons it looks like they digitally altered Kim’s nude scenes so she wasn’t nude anymore. In the episode where she goes to the plastic surgeon and he marks up her body wasn’t she fully nude when she opened her hospital gown to look in the mirror? In the version they aired it looked like they had (badly) CGI’d a black bra and panties on her. I noticed the same thing in several of her sex scenes although not all of them. This was HBO, not the edited syndication episodes; there was still nudity from Cynthia Nixon and other actors and actresses. It was specifically Kim Cattrall’s scenes. Did she have some clause that they would edit her nudity out or is HBO or SJP just being overly cautious about not upsetting her?

by Anonymousreply 64October 21, 2024 1:14 AM

R23 I never believed that story about Nicolette leaving Dynasty of her own accord. It sounded very PR. What about contracts? I believe there were rumours that Liz Gillies didn’t like her and wanted her written off. If true, that makes Liz playing Alexis post-surgery with a dead-on Nicolette impression even more juicy!

by Anonymousreply 65October 21, 2024 2:20 AM

R64, I'm guessing HBO wanted to change the rating of the show to PG.

by Anonymousreply 66October 21, 2024 3:23 AM

I suspect Cattrall would NOT want to have her nude scenes altered. This is why - she looked fabulous! But as she got older, it was probably more and more difficult to keep her body up, so to speak.

Thus, she wanted to stop doing nude scenes.

by Anonymousreply 67October 21, 2024 4:43 AM

R64, I thought I remembered she had a bra and panties on in that scene, so I went to my old DVD set and put in the episode. She was definitely not nude in the scene.

by Anonymousreply 68October 21, 2024 4:46 AM

R67 she was topless in her final scene of SATC where's she's riding former hottie Smith's cock. She didn't go fully nude in the movies though, bar the sushi scene

by Anonymousreply 69October 21, 2024 6:42 AM

Like I said it’s been year since I watched but a number of those shots just looked altered to me. Since it was just the Cattrall scenes I wondered if they had made changes for some reason. Eldergay faulty memory is more likely

by Anonymousreply 70October 21, 2024 11:59 AM

How did Kristin get away with so little nudity, when Cynthia and Kim had their boobs out often?

by Anonymousreply 71October 21, 2024 12:16 PM

[quote]Oh and Don't get me started on how she just fully stopped writing for TR Knight for basically an entire season and then have his character join the military and get hit by a bus and die all in the span of one episode.

Oh, I feel quite sure Shonda misplaced her anger and frustration onto Knight when her bigotry-spewing favorite clown trippled down in public and forced her to write Burke off the show.

by Anonymousreply 72October 21, 2024 5:19 PM

It seems that the relentless level of jokes about Dorothy's appearance which only increased and grew crueler as the series progressed (and new writers joined the fold) spoke to some latent hostility by some of the writers on the GG toward Bea.

by Anonymousreply 73October 21, 2024 5:37 PM

Tara Reid on Scrubs. Bill Lawrence said that he didn't think she was believable as anything other than Tara Reid so the character eventually became a chain smoking slutty party girl. I thought that was an unfair assessment and that she was actually pretty good in the role as originally conceived.

by Anonymousreply 74October 21, 2024 5:47 PM

Who is that hot man at R57?

by Anonymousreply 75October 21, 2024 5:58 PM

when Lucy got her ass beat by that kangaroo in a leather jacket

by Anonymousreply 76October 21, 2024 6:00 PM

Ana-Akicia & Susan Sullivan on FALCON CREST. Really stupid to be rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 77October 21, 2024 6:18 PM

Yeah, I used to cringe at some of the jokes made about Dorothy's appearance. Some of those had to hurt.

by Anonymousreply 78October 21, 2024 6:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!