Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Andrew Garfield says Mel Gibson ‘Deserves to Make Films’ because ‘None of Us Are Infallible’

Andrew Garfield recently told People magazine that Mel Gibson “deserves to make films” and has “done a lot of beautiful healing with himself.” Gibson’s career in Hollywood nosedived after his infamous DUI arrest in 2006, which included the “Braveheart” Oscar winner making comments disparaging Jewish people. Gibson directed Garfield in the 2016 war drama “Hacksaw Ridge,” for which Garfield was Oscar nominated for best actor. The filmmaker landed a best director nom.

“I learned a lot, actually. I learned that people can heal. I learned that people can change, that people can get help. I learned that everyone deserves respect,” Garfield answered when People asked what he learned from making “Hacksaw Ridge” with Gibson. “And that people deserve second chances, third chances, fourth chances. That none of us are infallible.”

“He’s done a lot of beautiful healing with himself,” Garfield added. “And thank God. Because he’s an amazing filmmaker, and I think he deserves to make films. He deserves to tell stories, because he has a very, very big, compassionate heart. He’s the kind of director that would come from behind the monitors, just with his eyes wet. He knew when it was right and he knew when it wasn’t right. And I just really trusted him. And he’s a visceral storyteller so he can feel… He’s like he can’t help but feel everything. He’s a real empathetic guy.”

Gibson only recently returned to the director’s chair for the first time since “Hacksaw Ridge” with the upcoming thriller “Flight Risk,” starring Mark Wahlberg. The movie opens in theaters in 2025. While he continued to act in the years after his 2006 arrest, it was rarely in major Hollywood tentpoles or studio films.

Following his arrest in 2006, Gibson issued a lengthy apology for his comments about Jewish people and said “there is no excuse, nor should there be any tolerance, for anyone who thinks or expresses any kind of antisemitic remark.”

“I want to apologize specifically to everyone in the Jewish community for the vitriolic and harmful words that I said to a law enforcement officer the night I was arrested on a DUI charge,” he added at the time. I am a public person, and when I say something, either articulated and thought out, or blurted out in a moment of insanity, my words carry weight in the public arena. As a result, I must assume personal responsibility for my words and apologize directly to those who have been hurt and offended by those words.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2024 10:06 PM

I agree with Sugar Tits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2024 4:24 PM

"We should have let Hitler keep up on ruling because none of us are infallible."

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2024 4:25 PM

Those new hair plugs are rotting his brain away.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2024 4:25 PM

Isn't he Jewish? I just assumed.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2024 4:32 PM

Answering my own question, he is.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2024 4:33 PM

[quote] Isn't he Jewish?

He’s a Jewish artist.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2024 4:36 PM

"Andrew you're gonna be raped by a pack of n-----s."

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2024 4:50 PM

[quote]Isn't he Jewish? I just assumed.

He certainly looks it.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2024 4:51 PM

Is Mel no longer a conservative Catholic drunk who hates fags?

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2024 5:05 PM

Winona Ryder said Gibson didn't know she was Jewish and said "you're not an oven dodger are you" and he asked a gay man if he was going to catch AIDS from him.

But Andrew Garfield believes in redemption so it's all okay.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2024 5:42 PM

I can see Andrew's pussy from behind!

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2024 5:49 PM

Agree. He’s an alcoholic who was ranting. Can’t cross the Jews though in Hollywood. You can shoot at Kelly Preston and have a career but not drunkenly suggest Jews are responsible for all the wars.

Not saying Jews deserve to be bashed. Love the Jews. Have to admire their 100% ability to stick together but get real, Mel was drunkenly ranting. What’s he gonna really do to the Jews?

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2024 5:55 PM

[quote]Is Mel no longer a conservative Catholic drunk who hates fags?

Don't forget n-----s and Jews, too!

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2024 5:56 PM

Mel's dad was a Holocaust denier.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2024 5:56 PM

"I went over to Mel Gibson's house the other day. He tried to throw me in the oven."

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2024 5:56 PM

[quote]I can see Andrew's pussy from behind!

I HAD Andrew's pussy from behind!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2024 5:58 PM

Is Andrew's pussy green?

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2024 5:59 PM

Mel’s a second generation Nazi.

I don’t believe he has any interest in “healing.” Except to the extent that pretending to do so can let him work in Hollywood again.

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2024 6:01 PM

[quote]Agree. He’s an alcoholic who was ranting. Can’t cross the Jews though in Hollywood. You can shoot at Kelly Preston and have a career but not drunkenly suggest Jews are responsible for all the wars. Not saying Jews deserve to be bashed. Love the Jews. Have to admire their 100% ability to stick together but get real, Mel was drunkenly ranting. What’s he gonna really do to the Jews?

This poster is a second generation Nazi too

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2024 6:46 PM

Andrew looks mighty tasty, shirtless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2024 9:26 PM

It's too bad because Mel Gibson is talented but alcohol is poison to some people.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2024 10:10 PM

R21 Don't blame Gibson's words and actions on alcohol. He's an unabashed white supremacist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2024 10:20 PM

So is racism!

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2024 11:59 PM

Andrew Garfield deserves to make films again too.

by Anonymousreply 24October 19, 2024 12:01 AM

There is an enormous difference between making a single mistake, proving our infallibilty, and a decades long series of behaviors across a wide spectrum of situations.

If it were one drunken "do you know who I am" moment, sure, we all make mistakes. But, the laundry list of crappy behavior is untenable.

by Anonymousreply 25October 19, 2024 12:05 AM

Is anyone stopping Gibson from making movies? I haven't heard of some ban outlawing him doing so, he just has to find people willing to finance his projects and work on his films.

by Anonymousreply 26October 19, 2024 12:05 AM

Uh, after everything was known about him he got a Best Director and Best Picture nomination for Hacksaw Ridge, so cry me a river.

by Anonymousreply 27October 19, 2024 12:13 AM

Besides the Jewish comments and telling his ex wife he hoped she got raped by a wild pack of niggers what else did he do?

by Anonymousreply 28October 19, 2024 12:15 AM

[quote] If it were one drunken "do you know who I am" moment, sure, we all make mistakes

Exactly!

by Anonymousreply 29October 19, 2024 12:16 AM

Actor brings cardboard cutout of co-star to red carpet

Andrew Garfield carried around a life-size cutout of his co-star Florence Pugh at the London Film Festival debut of their film “We Live In Time.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 19, 2024 3:32 AM

No-talent homely Garfield is an apologist for a rogue Xtian-Catlicker white nationalist who is a racist and offensive drunk?

Figures.

by Anonymousreply 31October 19, 2024 3:49 AM

R28, Gibson has made hateful comments about gays, Blacks, Jews, women and also refused to denounce his father's Holocaust denialism. As R25 said, it isn't just a one-time slip-up. It's a repeated pattern of behavior.

by Anonymousreply 32October 19, 2024 6:57 AM

[quote] Gibson has made hateful comments about gays, Blacks, Jews, women

Haven a lot of people done that? Just look who's running for President of the Republican party. Where is the outcry that he should not be allowed to even run? There is a siginifcant number of gays, blacks, Jews and woman who support that guy and that behavior. Millions in fact.

by Anonymousreply 33October 19, 2024 7:22 AM

What a particularly idiotic attempt at whataboutism

by Anonymousreply 34October 19, 2024 9:01 AM

Andrew Garfield is subnormal

by Anonymousreply 35October 19, 2024 9:31 AM

Actors will do anything for a good role. and Garfield worked with a racist and misogynist to get an Academy Award nomination.

Jodie Foster has repeatedly defended Mel Gibson and was happy to work with a convicted child rapist.

by Anonymousreply 36October 19, 2024 9:35 AM

A lot of people forget that Mel Gibson is American and was born in New York.

His racist, white nationalist, Nazi loving father, not wanting his family to be exposed to liberal ideology, moved them all far, far away to the Australian outback when Mel was a kid.

He was indoctrinated in the principles of hate long ago, and that kind of hatred doesn't go away.

by Anonymousreply 37October 19, 2024 12:59 PM

Oh please, many people are born in such circumstances and overcome and change them. The only issue if whether they're willing to improve themselves, and Gibson has chosen not to.

by Anonymousreply 38October 19, 2024 1:16 PM

R38 You misinterpreted my post. I'm simply pointing out that shitbag Gibson has been immersed in this hatred since his childhood. It's in his veins. It can't be blamed on anything like his alcoholism.

And yes, he could make an attempt to escape the hatred that eats up his soul, but he never will.

by Anonymousreply 39October 19, 2024 1:20 PM

Just remember, any time Mel points out a victim, he’s scouting for rubes.

These are the co-dependent ass lickers who protect his little bubble of hate.

by Anonymousreply 40October 19, 2024 1:25 PM

R37 the Patriots fled to avoid The Vietnam War

by Anonymousreply 41October 19, 2024 1:27 PM

[quote] Oh please, many people are born in such circumstances and overcome and change them

But he did not.

by Anonymousreply 42October 19, 2024 2:27 PM

Pinhead Andrew suffers from small face syndrome. Let's give small brains some grace.

by Anonymousreply 43October 19, 2024 2:50 PM

All Andrew is saying is that everyone deserves a second chance to prove themselves.

by Anonymousreply 44October 19, 2024 3:31 PM

R32 I see I see. What a maniac.

by Anonymousreply 45October 19, 2024 3:33 PM

r42 Which is exactly what I said in the next sentence, you moron

by Anonymousreply 46October 19, 2024 5:15 PM

r44 No, all he's saying is he'll defend anyone as long as they employ him

by Anonymousreply 47October 19, 2024 5:16 PM

Being famous is a privilege, not a right

by Anonymousreply 48October 19, 2024 5:19 PM

Mel's father was married to Quentin Crisp?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 19, 2024 5:25 PM

Well, I am.

by Anonymousreply 50October 19, 2024 5:39 PM

[quote] everyone deserves a second chance to prove themselves.

No, no they don't. And not because of moral or ethical reasons. This is why I think celebrity so-called cancel culture is complete bullshit.

This is a business, plain and simple. No one is owed anything, least of all tens of millions of dollars in studio or investor money.

As soon as you become a public liability, you're done. Costs are too. Risks even higher. Too bad.

No one is owed a Hollywood career, let alone a second one.

by Anonymousreply 51October 19, 2024 5:52 PM

So am I, Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 52October 19, 2024 6:21 PM

Apparently not, pope, because you misspelled my name.

by Anonymousreply 53October 19, 2024 6:21 PM

Also, the real Pope would probably not refer to himself as The pontiff.

If he were he to use the term at all, it would be “The Supreme Pontiff.”

by Anonymousreply 54October 19, 2024 9:54 PM

[quote] If he were he to use the term at all, it would be “The Supreme Pontiff.”

Pontifex Maximus!

Supreme Bridge Builder!

by Anonymousreply 55October 19, 2024 10:01 PM

[quote] Pinhead Andrew suffers from small face syndrome. Let's give small brains some grace.

Worse, he suffer from small nip.

That said i still find his sub bottom energy quite hot

by Anonymousreply 56October 19, 2024 10:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!