Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do so many trans women engage in prostitution?

Do they really have no other options? Are they looking for easy money?

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2024 6:48 AM

From what I understand - for those that end up in prostitution, it's because they have no other choice as they experience significant barriers and discriminations trying to gain normal employment.

by Anonymousreply 1October 18, 2024 6:01 AM

In most western countries workplaces have been completely rearranged to accommodation the trans, r1. You understood wrong.

by Anonymousreply 2October 18, 2024 6:08 AM

[quote]In most western countries workplaces have been completely rearranged to accommodation the trans,

Yes that's absolutely true R2. However, DEI workplace policies and warm corporate values and corporate platitudes are all firmly in place but it doesn't translate into actual employment. Just the illusion that it can happen for anyone because no barriers or discrimination are supposed to exist. In reality, 99.9% of trans people don't make it past the initial recruitment process.

I work in blue chip corporate P&C (HR) and this has been my experience for the corporate workplace where the good jobs and money are to be found. I can't talk to the academic, hospitality, retail and production workplaces. They may be very different experiences for trans people. I don't know.

Probably some of the trans women who go into prostitution enjoy the sex work too.

by Anonymousreply 3October 18, 2024 6:21 AM

This is a thorny subject.

As a gay man that’s had several trans friends, I would venture that many come from broken homes like I did, and didn’t really get a chance at a stable childhood, or the underlying support you need to be college bound and successful. Considerable resources are instead spent on survival, defining who you are, and finding a chosen family over blood relatives for support, sustenance, validation and to flourish. I know I did!

Many trans have already been jousted from home, have drinking or drug issues, and that they are trading on youth if not beauty as they come of age. The money you make with sex work is considerably more than minimum wage, is relatively low barrier low commitment, and the current pro sex worker attitudes only encourage at an even younger age.

I have been in “the life” where I sold my body, 98% of the time I did not enjoy it at all and quickly got out of it as soon as I had stable employment. I saw others completely grind themselves up with drug, drinking, and mental issues, and yes, a few die from “the life” because you cannot continue into old age doing so.

The trickiest part of the argument is that most trans are healthy- to argue they need special social advantages, considerations or protections like the elderly, disabled, or mentally ill is to completely deny this.

The final solution as a society should be live and let live stance of, “indifferent equality”, not to keep drawing attention to the shortcomings or uniqueness of the trans community or seeking reparations. That’s not how any of this works.

THIS is the underpinning issue.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2024 9:21 AM

Because they're whores, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2024 9:29 AM

Also by OP

[bold]Where have all the trannies gone?[/bold]

Has anyone else noticed this? From approximately 2016 to 2023, it seemed as though the entire world revolved around trans people. The news media wouldn’t stop talking about them, everything was deemed “transphobic,” everyone and their mother was accused of transphobia, and the mainstream media would have a meltdown every time Dave Chappelle had a new special on Netflix. Even the Biden administration got on board with nonbinary passports and protecting “trans kids.“

And then 2024 rolled around and it all seemed to stop. No one is talking about trans people anymore. Pride month this year was almost nonexistent, and the Harris campaign is only mentioning gay people but not trans or nonbinary. I’m not sure if it’s just because the general public got tired of it, or if the Harris campaign is encouraging the news media to lay off the trans stuff so they don’t lose the election.

[bold]My employer had a guest speaker this week for National Coming Out Month[/bold]

I’m sure you’re probably assuming that the guest speaker was a gay man or a lesbian, right? Well, you’d be wrong. It was a trans woman.

Is this really necessary? Like a trans woman needs to come out? Like everyone doesn’t know that someone who looks like Hulk Hogan in a Party City wig is really a man? Isn’t this kind of insulting to gays and lesbians? Many of us still have a hard time accepting ourselves and now we can’t even have coming out anymore.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2024 9:37 AM

this will be a nice thread where everyone treats each other like gold

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2024 9:42 AM

Because they're mentally ill and use drugs and surgery instead of getting treatment. They all have go fund mes too. All the "help, disabled, black, trans, queer woman" shit. They're grifters.

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2024 3:15 PM

The OP is a bigoted troll.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2024 4:00 PM

The up my ass players!

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2024 4:14 PM

From what I can gather from the OP, R1, and R2 there are two work options: Corporate entities and prostitution. OK, vastly oversimplified, and many companies are more enlightened but they also may have other "barriers" such as degree requirements, experience, and a level of stability that many who faced other forms of social pressure have not obtained. If you grew up where your home and school (and especially church) were hostile to you there may not be so many opportunities waiting for trans women once they become adults.

This is an oblique tangent, but when I watch RuPaul now I'm surprised how many former and present queens have transitioned and it's always the same vision of their new lives: to be taken care of by some rich sugar daddy.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2024 4:51 PM

OP Because these men come from a very low socio-economic underclass. Desperation, ignorance,poverty, addiction are strong motivators to turn to sucking cocks for cash. They learn early on that johns prefer hookers who present as female. Its not that big a leap from hooking in drag to living in drag. Then they delude themselves they are women. They are not very bright.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2024 5:44 PM

Some of them become First Lady.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2024 9:51 PM

Yes, First Lady of France.

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2024 10:47 PM

So r3, what you're suggesting is that highly skilled and educated individuals who would be snapped up by blue chip corporations if they weren't trans-identified are finding it so hard to get a job in their field due to prejudice that the only option left open for them is prostitution?

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2024 6:48 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!