Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I do phone sales six months of the year. AMA! *

I actually find the people who call fascinating and can almost always guess what region they're from within 2 sentences (not because of accents) and if they order clothes I can guess their size about 80 percent of the time just by their voice.

AMA- except the company because while I suspect that I have actually spoken to a few of you, I don't want get harassed and I won't tell my name obviously.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2024 3:11 AM

I bet when you hear the sound of candy wrappers, you guess "FAT," but politely suggest "a larger size."

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2024 11:16 PM

How are things on kiwifarms? Have you hounded anyone to suicide lately for lols?

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2024 11:17 PM

Haha, r1 I actually do occasionally suggest a bigger size with a gentle reminder that cotton shrinks

r2, not during the holidays of course.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2024 11:21 PM

What does a fat voice or a skinny voice sound like?

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2024 12:24 AM

skinny voices talk really quickly, matter of fact and have everything ready. Fat voices never have their stuff organized and ramble. That's if they don't have a fat person voice which is kind of wet and gravel-y

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2024 12:33 AM

What type of phones do you sell?

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2024 12:46 AM

haha r6, I read that 3 times before I realized you were playing on the thread title.

I can say people from Texas, Arkansas, and other deep south states generally say 'I want' or 'give me' while east coasters generally say 'can I have' or 'I think I will get'

by Anonymousreply 7October 18, 2024 1:19 AM

What are the rudest cities/states and which ones are the nicest cities/states?

Scammiest areas - always wanting a refund or free stuff?

by Anonymousreply 8October 18, 2024 1:22 AM

rudest is Texas or Arizona and a certain subset of elderly ladies from South Carolina. Nicest is New Jersey or Brooklyn or the midwest.

We don't get a lot of scammers that I deal with because I don't do returns. I think I am supposed to but I just don't do them, I bump them up the line if it's questionable or has a hint of difficulty. Otherwise I just send a return label and let returns deal with it. The bigger problem is credit card fraud but that's not my problem either to deal with.

I had a guy yesterday that I was convinced was a D Ler or should be. I actually had to pause my inbound calls for a minute because I was laughing so hard and saying to myself 'that was some Norman Bates shit. mother indeed'.

by Anonymousreply 9October 18, 2024 1:38 AM

I worked in an American Airlines call center 25 years ago and it was a hoot. You get some real wackos. I worked the weekend late night shift and every Saturday late we’d get the same two prank callers.

One was a very deep, vaguely female, husky voice. The person would make a first class reservation from JFK to some other big city like London or LA. They would hem and haw about giving a name, then launch into this long drawn out story about being famous and not wanting to hand an ID to the ticket agent, but hold it up for them to look at. Then this person would claim to be DL icon and actress with all the FLAVAH, Lauren Bacall. When you got to asking for payment they’d hang up.

Another regular was less original. He’d call up and during asking about schedules he’d start yelling at kids in the background. He’d then joke that he was going to have to spank them. That would segue into asking you if your parents used to spank you and soon you’d hear obvious signs of him jacking off.

No one really minded, and typically you’d brag if you’d gotten one, or better both, that night.

by Anonymousreply 10October 18, 2024 1:40 AM

If anyone seems like they're going to get out of line (and frankly, I have only had a few because our normal customer base is elderly) I just say, can you please confirm your phone number is xxx xxx xxxx? because we have caller id.

by Anonymousreply 11October 18, 2024 1:53 AM

[quote]Nicest is New Jersey

Really? That's surprising.

by Anonymousreply 12October 18, 2024 2:03 AM

Oh, and fuck off, R2.

by Anonymousreply 13October 18, 2024 2:04 AM

This is inbound rather than outgoing right?

How does your company measure your performance, what targets do you have to meet?

by Anonymousreply 14October 18, 2024 2:06 AM

Inbound only r14, I would never be able to do outbound. My targets are making sure I say exactly what I was trained to say and be excessively nice. I don't have numbers, quotas or anything like that because I don't get commission and people know what they want when they call. I can make suggestions or mention sales we're having but there's absolutely zero pressure on the customer. I would never ever do that especially as most are elderly, that would be evil. Which is actually what I told them when they mentioned upsells and they understood that point of view.

by Anonymousreply 15October 18, 2024 2:16 AM

Whoops, hit enter too soon. At least once a week someone randomly audits 3 of my calls. I am expected to hit all the points, be extremely nice but not rambly or unprofessional and apologize for everything that could possibly need an apology. I get scored and we meet and discuss what I did right and what needs improvement. If someone doesn't get over 70 percent on multiple audits I think there's an issue but I don't know what it would be because I typically get over 90 (because it's fairly easy and we've had good training). It's actually a good company for phone work but seasonal pays for shit. Nice people though and I don't have to leave the house.

by Anonymousreply 16October 18, 2024 2:21 AM

Interesting, I did both inbound and outbound very briefly as a first job out of university twenty years ago. I lasted three days at outbound, I just couldn't do it, I felt so awful every time I pissed someone off which was pretty much every single call. We were selling an internet package that basically had no advantages over its competitors. I still managed to sell four of them, I think. Every time I made a sale the manager threw me a Mars Bar.

Then I spent three months taking calls for Sky TV (outsourced to our call centre company). That was ok, but it was 12 hour shifts. We did have one target, which was to type in numerical codes into our system while taking a call to register what the call was about, we were supposed to enter a code for 80% of calls. The flaw in their system was that they couldn't check we were inputting the right code, so I just inputted any random numbers and smashed the target each time hahahahaha.

We were also meant to promote the magazine with the offers, seems like we were not nearly as cuddly as your employers.

by Anonymousreply 17October 18, 2024 2:22 AM

What do you do if they can't speak English intelligibly?

by Anonymousreply 18October 18, 2024 2:27 AM

Is your company hiring?

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2024 2:29 AM

Yeah, I would die if I had to do outbound, likely from an ulcer or something. Last year I did 8 hour shifts on the weekends but I said this year I can only do 4 hour shifts. I am too much of an introvert to keep it up for 8 hours. if they forget and put me on 8 I just try to trade half a shift. I currently do 4 weeknights and one weekend day on average.

r18, I have no problem understanding probably 90 percent of accents so I may not be the best person to comment on that. I also get people with strokes or stuff like that and have no problem.

r19, yes! But I think you have to be in Vermont 😣

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2024 2:30 AM

Six months is a long time, I assume this is on top of a full-time gig? You've got more energy than I do.

by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2024 2:35 AM

Do you get any men buying women's clothes / lingerie that's clearly for them?

What is the most surprisingly popular item sold?

by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2024 2:38 AM

r21, it is. and I don't think I have more energy, just likely less money.

I would not assume r22 but I don't think I have and wouldn't judge if they did unless it was a creepy call (they're just clothes, I don't care who wears what).

I won't get specific r22 but some food items. I think it's because I am cheap and can't imagine paying that much money.

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2024 3:00 AM

What's the largest order you've ever processed?

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2024 3:11 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!