Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Toxic, dysfunctional family backgrounds

There's no genuine recovering from one, is there? I want the cold, hard truth from you ruthless bitches. Mwah!

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2024 3:14 AM

Religious guilt, even though I have turned my back on a lot of what I was raised on I am still afraid of going to hell.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2024 10:20 PM

Hoarders. Too damn many of them - both sides of my family. I’ve lived more than a lifetime of hell just putting up with their metaphorical bullshit and their literal bullshit.

I can’t suffer hoarders at all because of my prior times dealing with them.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2024 10:25 PM

It seems to be true: it doesn’t get better, you just learn what your issues are and try not to repeat bad situations. But there’s no moment of redemption etc.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2024 11:25 PM

Depends on how bad your "bad" was OP.

by Anonymousreply 4October 18, 2024 2:21 AM

[quote]There's no genuine recovering from one, is there?

No there isn't OP. But it is possible to lessen the effects of a dysfunctional family over time. You can learn from it and improve and try to forgive. You can make sure you don't repeat the learned behaviors. You can work on dulling the effects of the dysfunctional childhood and lessening the "go to" behaviors you learned as a child due to the situation.

I came from a childhood with a screaming, nasty, manipulative, drama filled alcoholic mother and a terrifying, violent, nasty, raging gambling addict father who began beating me when I was 4 years old onwards. The authorities got evolved when I was 12 and described me as "a very badly mistreated child". I'm 55 now and things are better yes - they lessen with time - but the damage my parents inflicted has shaped me and left me with serious bahavioral issues to this day.

Obviously recovery depends on the situational specifics of the dysfunction and the level of dysfunction.

by Anonymousreply 5October 18, 2024 2:56 AM

My mother thought Mommie Dearest was a how-to video.

by Anonymousreply 6October 18, 2024 3:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!