Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jane Fonda and Sharon Stone throw shade at Barbra Streisand

Jane Fonda is being tacky here throwing shade at Barbra Streisand. The fact is that Streisand was offered all of those roles before Fonda. It was rude of Jane to say, "Can you imagine?" Barbra has never been rude to her.

Sharon Stone commented on the video on Instagram: “Let’s just say Ms S sometimes has a thin grasp on the truth 😮😮😮😮😮”

Sharon saying that is ironic since she lies about everything. Last I heard from her, she was claiming that unknown individuals had stolen all of her money and taken control of her refrigerator.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2024 3:13 AM

Sorry but all those roles were offered to Lucy first. Gary talked her out of them.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2024 9:10 PM

[quote]Barbra has never been rude to her.

For years Streisand would "joke" that she was responsible for Jane's career simply because she turned down Klute and They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

It's a tacky thing to even say, and most actors and actresses have the class not to mention what they were offered first. But Streisand always thinks she's being cute when she's just being an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2024 9:12 PM

tongue in cheek

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2024 9:16 PM

It's interesting since most of the roles that Faye Dunaway eventually cast as lead were first offered to Jane Fonda.

I get the impression that many of Streisand's peers don't care for her in the film and music business. Dionne Warwick threw some serious shade at Streisand years ago for dabbling in disco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2024 9:20 PM

They're all bitches!

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2024 9:25 PM

Hilarious - love Jane!

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2024 9:33 PM

R2, I cannot imagine an actress as limited as Streisand playing characters as complex as world-weary, cynical and despondent Gloria Beatty, or unstable, emotionally damaged and vulnerable as Bree Daniels. Streisand isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, but is extremely mannered and with the exception of Hello, Dolly! and Funny Girl/Lady, she's basically spent her entire acting career playing variations of herself. Moreover, she ALWAYS must include references to how hot and desirable she is, forgetting that it's not about her, but playing a character. She was utterly unbelievable as a crazy high end call girl in Nuts, and she would have ruined the films that went to Jane Fonda.

Jane isn't a great actress either, but she is light years ahead of Streisand who, in spite of what she'd like to believe, is a singer who acts.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2024 9:51 PM

I hate her but Jane is a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2024 10:04 PM

Streisand is enormously talented.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2024 10:29 PM

Barbra could have played Scarlett O'Hara in GWTW.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2024 10:30 PM

There aren’t enough posts about Sharon Stone’s contribution to this discussion. I’m feel like she’s being erased.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2024 10:44 PM

I love Jane in Julia but I could see Barbra in the role of Lillian Hellman. That’s the only one from that list.

Jane is so affecting and tragic in the unforgettable “They Shoot Horses, Don’t They?” that I really can’t even begin to picture someone else playing Gloria.

“I’ve got my eye on you.” “Oh yeah? Which one?”

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2024 11:00 PM

[quote]I love Jane in Julia but I could see Barbra in the role of Lillian Hellman.

It's obvious why Barbra wouldn't want Hellman comparisons, r12.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2024 11:03 PM

Who would pay good money to watch Bsrbra Streisand and Jane Fonda try to out cunt one another?

I know I would

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2024 11:05 PM

At least Babs wasn't making exercise videos

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2024 11:14 PM

Streisand is a marvel in terms of her talent but she has just about the worst taste of almost anyone in show business -- ever.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2024 11:14 PM

Barbra does movie star acting. It's *her*persona in every role. She was incapable of playing Gloria because of her vanity (maybe she knew that). Have you *ever* seen her be willing to look like this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2024 11:14 PM

OP, she's having some fun on stage. Lighten up you crabby old bitch.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2024 11:18 PM

[quote]Barbra does movie star acting. It's *her*persona in every role.

Jane Fonda also plays "Jane Fonda" in every role she's done. The only movie where she's even tried to play a different character is in 9 to 5, but even that was mostly the same Jane. She can't morph into different people in the way that Meryl Streep can.

Nothing wrong with movie star acting. It's worked for all of Hollywood's biggest legends. Just ask Bette Davis and Joan Crawford.

by Anonymousreply 19October 18, 2024 12:05 AM

I love Barbra's quip about Shoot Horses. She said she was exhausted just reading the script. She was editing a Star is Born which is why she turned down Julia. But she would have loved to work with Fred Zinnemann. Sydney Pollack tried to get her to play Lillian Hellman in the 1980s in a film with Redford that was never made.

by Anonymousreply 20October 18, 2024 12:15 AM

Bette transcended "movie star acting" (unlike Joan), r19. She wasn't afraid to "go there" if the role required it. Jane may have a narrow lane, but she delves deeper than Barbra. She doesn't have Barbra's vanity. No way would Barbra have snot-cried in Klute. Redford wouldn't permit himself to look anything but hunky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 18, 2024 12:41 AM

Jane, Stonie, Dionne,

how are your spouses doing?

Love Barbra

aka Mrs James "Sadie" Brolin for 26 years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 18, 2024 2:47 AM

I know how Jane feels. For years I had to deal with a certain actressy actress claiming she was up for several of my roles -- King Kong, Postman Always Rings Twice, Sweet Dreams...

by Anonymousreply 23October 18, 2024 2:59 AM

How would Sharon Stone know what Streisand has turned down or not… either way I can’t see Streisand in They Shoot Horses, Don’t They. Maybe Klute.

by Anonymousreply 24October 18, 2024 3:03 AM

Barbra would've been a disaster in Klute. She's too self-conscious of her celebrity as an entertainer to ever go that raw and gritty like Jane Fonda in the role.

by Anonymousreply 25October 18, 2024 3:06 AM

[quote] Bette transcended "movie star acting" (unlike Joan)

Joan only transcended "movie star acting" once, and that was in "Rain." Sadly, that movie was a huge commercial flop, and she never again attempted to go beyond her movie star persona.

by Anonymousreply 26October 18, 2024 3:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!