Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The oldest person you've met.

And what did you chat about.

My great aunt died at 102, Everyone in that line lives to 90-105. She talked about money until she keeled over. I liked her, though. She was a fast-living party gal for half a century, until she slowed down.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2024 10:04 PM

My great-grandmother lived to 101 and was in good shape physically and mentally until a few months before she died. She was weary of life, though.

Once when I was about 12, she and I were sitting in the day room of her nursing home watching something on tv and she turned to me, eyes wide and nostrils flared, and said to me, “Son, the worst thing in the world is to live forever.” She then turned back to the tv and we sat in silence.

It scared the shit out of me.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2024 7:52 PM

My great aunt is still alive at 99. That reminds me. I should visit more often. We chat and play cribbage.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2024 8:16 PM

The conductor of my university’s wind ensemble lived to be 101, and when a bunch of us returned to campus to celebrate his 99th birthday he was very full of life and remembered most of us who had graduated about thirty years earlier

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2024 8:25 PM

My mother. She's in her 103rd year.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2024 8:46 PM

What’s that old man got bouncing in the bag?

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2024 8:49 PM

I’ve shared this story before on DL.

My great grandparents on my mother’s side of the family both lived until 105. They lived in their own home with one of their 14 children. They were both mentally sharp and could carry on long , deep conversations. My great grandfather was mobile, and drove into his mid-nineties.

When I graduated from college, they sent me a $100 savings bond (remember savings bonds?) They were sweet, wonderful people.

My great grandfather died first, and his wife died three months later. We all assumed she died from grief. There’s was an 86 year love story.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2024 8:58 PM

It's nice they had each other r6. My ex bf's mother is 97 and all of her friends are dead. She was widowed at 65 and never remarried or even dated again.

My friend's father is 103. He just went into a nursing home because he's a fall risk but mentally he's still all there.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2024 9:04 PM

My maternal grandmother, who lived to 102.

When she was about to turn 100 her youngest daughter asked, "Ma, how does it feel to be 100 years old?"

Gramma looked at my Aunt J sadly, shook her head, and said "That's too long for anyone to live."

Her entire life she hid the fact that her big brother had been brutally lynched in 1911, but when she made 100, all the memories came tumbling out. Her husband who'd volunteered to fight in WWI two years before the US entered it, fighting under the French flag and was gassed at Ypres only to come home and have the local Klan threaten him and his fellow Black GIs with death if they didn't stop wearing their uniforms; and who died in 1947 of constant seizures brought on by the chlorine gassing he'd taken 30+ years earlier. Her father, who she said was "shot down like a dog" outside his own church, the babies she'd had to bury, and so much more.

Made all of us family members see her so very differently. What a strong woman she was.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2024 9:32 PM

A grandmother who lived to 105.

She had the same thing where she didn’t understand why she was still alive towards the end.

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2024 9:51 PM

my landlady died this year and was 102

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2024 9:55 PM

My great Aunt Kate lived until 105 yrs old. Her only health issue was dry skin.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2024 9:55 PM

My grandmother was 98 when she died. She was still quite 'with it' up until the end. A few months before dying she just randomly told my mom and me that she did not want to be buried in her family plot/area. She wanted to be cremated. She said "I have to admit, the thought of even my skeleton being surrounded by my horrible family is too much for me." It was shocking, but funny. So, we respected her wishes and had her cremated.

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2024 10:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!