Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mysterious white blobs washing up on Canadian beaches stump experts

Beaches across Canada's far northeast Newfoundland and Labrador province have increasingly been littered with mysterious white blobs. Their appearance has so far befuddled scientists, and led Canadian officials in the region to launch an investigation.

Beachgoers first noticed the unusual blobs on the shores of Newfoundland and Labrador in September. People quickly started sharing photos of the gelatinous clumps on a Facebook group with more than 40,000 members that is dedicated to exploring the region's coastal areas.

"Anyone know what these blobs are. They are like touton dough and all over the beach," wrote Philip Grace on the Beachcombers Facebook group, comparing the finds to a regional dish. "These were in sizes ranging from dinner plate size right down to a toonie [Canadian 2-dollar coin]."

Some people speculated online that the mystery blobs could be the result of ships dumping substances into the ocean. Others suggested they could be whale sperm, whale vomit or even ambergris, a byproduct of sperm whales that's valued for its use in perfumes and other products.

But the experts weren't to be dragged into the speculation.

Environment and Climate Change Canada, the government agency responsible for investigating the mystery, simply referred to the blobs as "a mystery substance" when asked by CBS News on Tuesday.

Newfoundland resident David McGrath told The Guardian newspaper that he'd seen hundreds of the items scattered across his local beaches.

"They looked just like a pancake before you flip it over, when it has those dimpled little bubbles. I poked a couple with a stick and they were spongy and firm inside," he told the newspaper. "I've lived here for 67 years, and I've never seen anything like this. Never."

"They sent the Coast Guard over and I asked them how bad it was. They told me they had 28 miles of coastline littered with this stuff and had no idea what it was," McGrath said. "Is it toxic? It is safe for people to touch?"

Samantha Bayard, a spokesperson for Environment and Climate Change Canada, told CBS News the agency was first informed about the "mystery substance" on beaches on Sept. 7. Environmental emergency officers visited sites at least three times to assess the situation and collect samples.

"To date, ECCC has conducted several aerial, underwater and manual surveys of the beaches and shorelines in the area to determine the extent of the substance, what it is and its potential source," she said. "At this time, neither the substance nor its source has been identified."

Bayard said a preliminary laboratory analysis by the agency suggested the material "could be plant-based," but stressed that additional analysis was required "before a final determination can be made on the substance and its potential impacts."

Stan Tobin, a local environmentalist, told CBS News' partner network BBC News that he'd found "hundreds and hundreds of blobs — big blobs, little blobs."

"Somebody or somebodies know where this came from and how it got there, and knows damn well it's not supposed to be here," Tobin told the BBC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2024 12:42 AM

Freshly ejected ambergris is black and smells like shit. Ambergris used in perfumery is old and grey beige, hard, not spongey.

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2024 9:05 AM

What r1 said. There's actually a quick test for ambergris where you poke a hot needle inside it and determine from the pleasant scent that it is, in fact, ambergris. Ancient Egyptians and others used it as incense and probably came up with that test themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2024 10:31 AM

The drowned remains of trump supporters, they have realized their mango messiah won't be returning to it's throne.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2024 12:01 PM

[quote] Mysterious white blobs washing up on Canadian beaches stump experts

This could easily describe Canadian beachgoers

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2024 12:34 PM

boiled jellyfish!

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2024 12:47 PM

The Arctic’s nacreous layer of permacum is breaking up!

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2024 12:52 PM

The logical answer is mashed potatoes with chives.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2024 1:14 PM

My grandparents had a cottage at the beach and we’d spend most summers down there. My grandmother and her best friend were walking the beach very early one morning looking for shells after a storm and found a big chunk of ambergris. My grandmother had a hunch that what it was and they took it home. It supposedly smelled like death and my grandfather always said he could smell it still on calm days out on the screen porch where they kept it.

They sold it for $10,000, back in the early 60s! My grandmother and her friend used some of the money to buy themselves matching, shell-shaped diamond brooches that they always wore when they were going to be dress up together.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2024 1:17 PM

Whale snot?

by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2024 1:27 PM

R8, that’s a great family story. I wonder if any of it is true.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2024 1:27 PM

Ozempic waste byproduct.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2024 1:43 PM

Human flesh

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2024 2:29 PM

If only they could test it and find out…

by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2024 2:34 PM

The fact that it gives me the creeps is probably not exactly scientific, but yuck.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2024 2:53 PM

Has anyone seen Chrissy Metz lately?

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2024 3:31 PM

I’m not gonna touch it. You touch it.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2024 3:33 PM

If they sold the ambergris of 10K in the 60s one assumes it was good ambergris and would not have smelled like death. Ambergris is sweet, earthy, sea like and woody. It can be a bit challenging raw, in quantity, of course, but would not smell death like.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2024 4:27 PM

Does it come with a dipping sauce?

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2024 4:35 PM

R17, ambergris smells like feces until it dries out. Then it smells better. It’s not used as a scent in perfume, but as a emulsifier to keep the essential oils and alcohol in solution.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2024 4:48 PM

Natural ambergris and civet are fixatives of fragrance pyramid, not emulsifiers of solutions. Natural ambergris is most DEFINITELY used for its aroma, in fragrance. Synthetic cousin Ambroxan is also used a fixative, not an emulsifier.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2024 4:58 PM

Obviously a cargo ship of Chinese-made instant mashed potatoes went down in a storm. Expect the ocean level to drop in the North Atlantic as the thickening process continues. I

And, for the record, R19, ambergris is used as a fixative, not so much as an emulsifier. It also is used for its fragrance, about which "smells better" is not concept helpful in perfume construction.

When you're copying and pasting it's good to use a better source, not just the first Google hit.

by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2024 5:00 PM

Thanks, R20. I became redundant!

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2024 5:01 PM

It’s because Trump is the fucking Queen host of a pod of alien creatures slated to invade Earth.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2024 5:13 PM

They come from away.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2024 5:26 PM

Wikipedia says “Ambergris has been highly valued by perfume makers as a fixative that allows the scent to last much longer, although it has been mostly replaced by synthetic ambroxide.”

And “ Ambergris has been mostly known for its use in creating perfume and fragrance much like musk. Perfumes based on ambergris still exist.”

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2024 5:34 PM

Dick cheese.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2024 5:38 PM

This would be a fantastic opening to a horror movie. Those mysterious white blobs aren't as benign as they seem.

I guess it could simply be an update of The Blob called The Blobs. Or Los Blobs.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2024 6:13 PM

Newfoundland and Labrador are close enough to Stephen King's Maine, right?

by Anonymousreply 28October 17, 2024 9:46 PM

[quote] This would be a fantastic opening to a horror movie. Those mysterious white blobs aren't as benign as they seem.

Not quite horror, but eerie and far from innocuous, Doctor Who gave us The Adipose years ago....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 17, 2024 9:59 PM

It looks like raw dough with poppyseeds in it.

What the hell is Canada up to?

by Anonymousreply 30October 17, 2024 10:25 PM

Has Dawson's ass been accounted for?

by Anonymousreply 31October 17, 2024 10:26 PM

You rang.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32October 17, 2024 11:13 PM

White chocolate with sesame and poppy seeds? Perhaps needs some lemon.

by Anonymousreply 33October 17, 2024 11:23 PM

We have a surplus of African immigrants here now so maybe it’s a boatload of that dumb bland yam shit that they eat

by Anonymousreply 34October 17, 2024 11:53 PM

[quote] Mysterious white blobs

Since it hasn't been identified yet, can we just call it the "Sam Smith?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 17, 2024 11:55 PM

I'd like to know more about your understanding of ocean currents, geography, and shit, r34.

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2024 11:57 PM

Hey, at least they're not dismembered feet, which is what washes up ashore on Canada and PNW's west coast beaches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2024 11:59 PM

Meanwhile, on Sydney beaches, it’s black balls:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38October 18, 2024 12:23 AM

Whale cum.

by Anonymousreply 39October 18, 2024 12:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!