Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Rufus Wainwright calls Donald Trump playing 'Hallelujah' cover during rally 'the height of blasphemy'

Can I agree with him and think his screechy cover is blasphemy, too?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2024 1:40 AM

Does Rufus realize that few people know who he is?

by Anonymousreply 1October 17, 2024 6:14 AM

Europe knows him very well and he still sells out concert tours.

by Anonymousreply 2October 17, 2024 6:16 AM

Every time I saw this story posted anywhere on social media today, the comments were 99% “who”? And “never heard of him”.

by Anonymousreply 3October 17, 2024 6:19 AM

You're smart and important, r3, but it's still anecdotal to your experience.

by Anonymousreply 4October 17, 2024 6:21 AM

That guy is kinda hot. Who is he.

by Anonymousreply 5October 17, 2024 6:31 AM

He used to be a lot hotter, to be fair.

by Anonymousreply 6October 17, 2024 3:41 PM

Dollar store Jeff Buckley.

by Anonymousreply 7October 17, 2024 4:01 PM

I don’t think, if the venue Trump was at had a current ASCAP license, Wainwright and his record label can do anything about him playing the song. Using it in an ad, no, but if I’m correct, the ASCAP license allows them to play anything they want.

by Anonymousreply 8October 17, 2024 4:42 PM

No, R8. From the story below: "BMI said in a statement to CNN that the Trump campaign has a “political entities license” authorizing the public performance of more than 15 million musical works in BMI’s repertoire at campaign events.

“There is a provision, however, that allows BMI to exclude musical works from the license if a songwriter or publisher objects to its use by a campaign,” BMI said. “BMI has received such an objection and sent a letter notifying the Trump campaign that the Rolling Stones’ works have been removed from the campaign license, and advising the campaign that any future use of these musical compositions will be in breach of its license agreement with BMI.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 17, 2024 5:00 PM

Somewhere along the way this relatively previously unknown song from a marginally successful songwriter/singer has become an anthem of sorts for the cognoscenti. It’s dreary and boring, very much like the monotone Wainwright.

by Anonymousreply 10October 17, 2024 6:14 PM

One of the most misunderstood songs of all time.

by Anonymousreply 11October 17, 2024 6:35 PM

Rufus looks almost exactly like my partner. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 12October 17, 2024 6:45 PM

The song gets a lot of its musician fans because of the musical theory behind the cord progressions and how they relate to the lyrics. The line about the secret chord that pleased the lord is retold by the chord progression later in the song.

This video dissection explains the musical theory behind the song if you’re interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13October 17, 2024 6:56 PM

Rufus needs a good shave. If he puts on any weight he'll end up looking like a gay post-plastic surgery New Age Kenny Rogers.

by Anonymousreply 14October 17, 2024 7:14 PM

His Wikipedia is interesting. It says he spent a week doing meth, partying with George Bush’s daughter when he realized he truly needed to get help and enter rehab.

by Anonymousreply 15October 17, 2024 8:47 PM

I always confuse him with Russell Brand.

by Anonymousreply 16October 17, 2024 9:01 PM

I don't once I hear the purse coming out of his mouth.

by Anonymousreply 17October 17, 2024 9:18 PM

[quote] His Wikipedia is interesting. It says he spent a week doing meth, partying with George Bush’s daughter when he realized he truly needed to get help and enter rehab.—Prince-Akeem

He's an amateur compared to you, you useless piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 18October 17, 2024 10:02 PM

[quote]a marginally successful songwriter/singer

Bitch, please.

by Anonymousreply 19October 17, 2024 10:16 PM

[quote]It says he spent a week doing meth, partying with George Bush’s daughter

I had assumed heroin was his thing based on his songs, but apparently meth was his true love.

Look up some old photos, he was quite the pretty young thing. Still handsome, of course -- as R12's partner must be as well.

by Anonymousreply 20October 17, 2024 10:19 PM

Rufus as Judy!

With the spoken intro and explanation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 17, 2024 10:27 PM

R18

Yall see what I’m talking about. This person is relentless and mentally ill. So yall see this right?

by Anonymousreply 22October 17, 2024 10:28 PM

R22 Please don’t start the stupid (fake) talk. Just ignore someone if you don’t like it.

by Anonymousreply 23October 17, 2024 10:30 PM

R23 Nothing fake about me. I’m just pointing out it’s obsession.

by Anonymousreply 24October 17, 2024 10:32 PM

Teacake, no one likes your bullshit. If you're looking for allies, you'd better make a few more up.

by Anonymousreply 25October 17, 2024 10:46 PM

[quote] I’m just pointing out it’s obsession.

There's that Ivy League education again.

by Anonymousreply 26October 17, 2024 10:47 PM

Good for him. But I remember him as a bratty, dirty looking little snot when he passed through the library where I worked in the 1980s. His mother was great though.

The workers in the children's section despised him. His sister was the opposite.

He was always dirty looking and dripping mucus. His mother and aunt were local celebrities.

by Anonymousreply 27October 17, 2024 10:52 PM

[quote]This person is relentless and mentally ill. So yall see this right?

Yes, I see it. I F&F it to no avail.

by Anonymousreply 28October 18, 2024 12:03 AM

His mother is not a local celebrity; she’s a very successful songwriter and musician.

by Anonymousreply 29October 18, 2024 1:25 AM

Not so much these days, R29. His mother is neither.

Kate McGarrigle, Rufus's mother, has been dead for the last 14 years.

by Anonymousreply 30October 18, 2024 1:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!