Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Charles Dickens

Don’t get me wrong, he wrote many books that are held up as classics, but what is so great about them? The stories seem like nothing more than highbrow soap operas for the 1800s. Please enlighten me and tell me your favourites.

I like Great Expectations, but miss Havisham is as camp as all get-out

I should note I’ve also seen most of the film adaptations and although the stories are different, there’s often a lot of sameness with the characters and the dark humour… I mean he seemed to have a formula he stuck to much like a Ryan Murphy or Aaron Spelling in modern entertainment…

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2024 8:38 PM

1.2x speed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2024 7:51 PM

He wrote characters that stick with you. So did Charlotte Bronte, Mary Shelley, Jane Austen, and Louisa May Alcott.

Yes, they those authors all wrote soaps, basically. But well crafted soaps. Just like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2024 8:16 PM

I’m not sure I’d call Dickens “highbrow” anything, I think a big part of the appeal is how accessible they are - it’s all “what happens next!” and with a lot of broad humour and even broader sentimentality

His novels, to me, are quintessentially Victorian - obviously in their form, but also in how they are so “about” the Victorian age and its preoccupations.

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2024 8:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!