Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why in the world was transgenderism removed from the DSM?

I actually asked this question to AI, and it said that transgender ism was removed from the DSM to reduce stigma. This can’t possibly be correct, can it? That would be like removing bipolar disorder from the DSM. Sure, you want to reduce stigma, but it’s still a mental disorder.

Adults have the right to live their lives however they want, but how can transgenderism not be considered a disorder? You literally believe that you’re the opposite sex, and that you were born in the wrong body, and you take hormones and have surgery to turn your genitals inside out. How is that not a mental disorder?

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2024 4:04 PM

People who use the word "literally" have a mental disorder, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1October 16, 2024 1:53 AM

Why was idée fixe removed from the DSM?

by Anonymousreply 2October 16, 2024 1:54 AM

OP - why in the world was homosexuality removed from the DSM incrementally from 1975 and 1987?

by Anonymousreply 3October 16, 2024 1:54 AM

This is just a wild guess, but I would say that they were probably pressured by trans activists to have it removed. Another example. Everyone knows that “nonbinary” is a load of crap with no medical or scientific basis, but activists got the federal government to go along with it and issue non-binary passports. You can legally be classified as something that literally does not exist. So it’s not a big stretch to see how this happened with transgenderism.

They were just riding the coattails of the gay movement.

by Anonymousreply 4October 16, 2024 1:56 AM

r4 "literally"

Oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 5October 16, 2024 1:57 AM

R3 Homosexuality and transsexualism is not the same thing. Gay men aren’t mutilating their genitals.

by Anonymousreply 6October 16, 2024 1:58 AM

People are nuts.

by Anonymousreply 7October 16, 2024 1:59 AM

You all do realize that literally is a word right? If you say “her head literally exploded,“ that’s incorrect because that’s not literal. But if you say R1 literally looks like Kaitlyn Jenner on crack, that’s accurate.

by Anonymousreply 8October 16, 2024 2:01 AM

It's been renamed gender dysphoria.

by Anonymousreply 9October 16, 2024 2:10 AM

BORIS!

Such a place wow which to waste on the homosexual when The Trump man is failing in the down.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2024 2:12 AM

I’m curious to see one of those tranny snatches that shoots out poo.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2024 2:13 AM

I think you’re Boris R10. What translator did you use?

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2024 2:14 AM

R10. Mr. Saint Putins has only so much options to give.

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2024 2:17 AM

^^^ Also iis will be superior to the western innovations I am promised.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2024 2:19 AM

R10 I wish I could hood swarm your ass right now.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2024 2:33 AM

Here comes homophobe R3, comparing natural attraction to an obsession with a man made concept.

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2024 3:41 AM

Fuck you R16. Be smarter and think more deeply.

The answer to my question at R3 is that homosexuality was removed from the DSM incrementally between 1975-1987 because medical experts, medical scientists, psychiatrists et al, eventually came to realize and concur that homosexuality is [bold]NOT[/bold] a mental disorder or mental illness or a personality disorder.

But the same language and claims OP is using about trans people - that they're all mentally ill and worthless "less than" psychotics - is EXACTLY the same language and claims which were made about about us and still are by hard right wing religious gay haters who want to see us all dead.

Does that make my post clearer for you R16?

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2024 4:05 AM

You can sure tell that the election is coming up. OP, next start a thread on a caravan of transgenders coming up from Venezuela.

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2024 4:11 AM

The trillions of invading illegal trans wall jumping criminals are ALL eating the dogs and the cats and the geese and taking all the "black jobs" and polluting the blood of Americans R18! TRILLIONS OF THEM!

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2024 4:17 AM

r17 They are mentally ill, though. Gender dysphoria is literally a mental illness. It has an ICD-10 diagnostic code. It's no different than major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia. Maybe if we stopped stigmatizing mental illness you wouldn't find the very factual statement "gender dysphoria is a mental illness" offensive.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2024 4:20 AM

All of the mental, behavioral, and neurodevelopmental disorder codes range from F01-F99. Gender dysphoria is F64.9. If it has a diagnosis billing code, it's a medical or mental disorder of some kind.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2024 4:24 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2024 4:26 AM

Gender dysphoria is a sex identity disorder. It causes stress & depression. Yes, it’s a mental health issue and mental disorder. It is up to us to destigmatize the disorder.

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2024 4:29 AM

R17, trans keep telling us that they will kill themselves unless they mutilate their bodies and the entirety of society doesn't go along with their bizarre idea that they are literally (yes, literally, not simply metaphorically or through identification) the opposite sex. They are the ones telling us that they have a psychological disorder that will lead to suicide unless "treated" through the destruction of healthy physical organs.

They would say that their psychological disorder is due to a gender dysphoria, whereby their outside doesn't match with their inside, but what the fuck does that even mean? Yes, they have a psychological disorder, but it's not because they were born in the wrong body - being born in the wrong body is not a thing. Being so detached from one's body that they want to try to turn it into the body of the opposite sex - something that is not possible - suggests they have some kind of psychological disorder. In my opinion, it's externally caused and not "inate". Whatever the cause, they have serious mental health issues.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2024 4:45 AM

R17 : logical fallacy - false equivalency

So what you’re implying is that we shouldn’t claim that any other category of people could be mentally ill because a bunch of stupid losers (probably religious people i.e. actually mentally ill people) used to claim that we were mentally ill.

We can’t claim that a serial killer is psychotic because we used to be deemed mentally ill etc.

Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2024 4:51 AM

Why was homosexuality removed from the DSM?

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2024 5:35 AM

R6 No, but they are putting them in another man’s ass.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2024 5:38 AM

r26 Apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2024 5:44 AM

R28 Not really. Homosexuality isn’t the norm either. However, there have always been gay people and there have always been transgender people.

My guess is that they will find a cause. Perhaps it’s brain anatomy, genetic predispositions or hormonal exposures. I won’t live to see it.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2024 7:42 AM

r29 Just because something is rare, doesn't make it a disorder. Red hair is rare and present in less than 2% of the population, but it's not a disorder.

Same-sex attraction is not a disorder. Believing oneself to be the opposite sex and experiencing debilitating mental and emotional distress over one's biological sex (gender dysphoria) is a disorder. The treatment is to transition.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2024 7:47 AM

The word "literally" is to be used to distinguish a phrase or term from being used metaphorically. Someone's head exploding is (almost always) a metaphorical expression. Most of you who indiscriminately use the word "literally" would be better served by using the word "actually," although in most cases even using that word would be superfluous.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2024 7:48 AM

Because Carmen SanDiego retired as Camacho and stopped traveling.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2024 8:06 AM

[quote] My guess is that they will find a cause. Perhaps it’s brain anatomy, genetic predispositions or hormonal exposures. I won’t live to see it.

Because it will never happen. Sexuality is based on SEX which is a concrete thing that has always been around. Transgenderism is based on sexual stereotypes which are abstract concepts. There is no “genetic predisposition” involved.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2024 12:12 PM

"However, there have always been gay people and there have always been transgender people." - No, there haven't always been people who believed themselves to be the other gender/sex. Are you seriously suggesting that in the days when women didn't have the vote and had very few property rights that there were men who wanted to be legally declared women?

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2024 1:08 PM

[quote]Are you seriously suggesting that in the days when women didn't have the vote and had very few property rights that there were men who wanted to be legally declared women?

r34 Yes. They're actually correct. In spite of this, there were, indeed, men who wanted to legally be declared women. If anything, that historical fact gives further validity to its categorization as a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2024 6:26 PM

R35, transgenderism is a mental illness, but it's the result of psychological traumas that aren't anything to do with gender/biological sex in itself. It's simply the vehicle that people with mental health issues have been presented as the solution to the their problems in the 21st century.

Any actual examples of men wanting to be legally declared women prior to the late 20th century?

by Anonymousreply 36October 17, 2024 8:28 AM

[quote]Any actual examples of men wanting to be legally declared women prior to the late 20th century?

A few.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 17, 2024 8:57 AM

Haha. Kind of, r37.

by Anonymousreply 38October 17, 2024 9:22 AM

This is simply one of those issues that has become so engrained in society that everyone is subconsciously afraid to question it. It’s like in those African societies where people put a bone in their nose or flat iron their teenage girls’ tits. It’s insane but everyone has to convince themselves that it’s normal so they don’t piss anyone else off.

by Anonymousreply 39October 17, 2024 3:12 PM

Transgenderism jump the shark when they came out with some article stating that the first tranny was a slave. I kid you not. It was on gawker or something. And they lowkey had the receipts because the guy they claimed looked like Billy Porter on the set of Mandingo. 😂

by Anonymousreply 40October 17, 2024 4:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!