Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

1,200 Walgreen's Stores will soon be DEAD TO ME !

Walgreens Boots Alliance (WBA) announced more store closures Tuesday, as the retail pharmacy giant continues to face pressure from the growth of online prescription delivery platforms and ongoing retail constraints.

Walgreens will close 500 stores next year, toward the end of the year, and reach a total of 1,200 store closings in the next three years, according to company executives on a fourth quarter earnings call today.

The number had not been previously announced, but Walgreens indicated up to 2,000 store closures coming during an earnings call in June. Walgreens stock jumped more than 12% in trading Tuesday on the news — signaling the move was no surprise, and even welcome, to investors.

The company announced fiscal fourth quarter earnings in line with expectations, with a loss per share of $3.48 compared to $0.21 in the same quarter in 2024. Revenues, meanwhile, increased 6% year over year to $37.5 billion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2024 5:50 PM

Thanks Kamala.

by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2024 11:39 PM

Their prices are too high - not enough sales/discounts. I go to CVS only because of their deals and discounts.

I think Walgreens is a better store than CVS - but they're not competitive.

by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2024 11:41 PM

Oh shit

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2024 11:45 PM

In my area, the Walgreens is better than the CVS. Better prices, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2024 11:49 PM

I have never been to a Walgreens or a CVS and I don't know why anyone would go.

It's very strange they fill prescriptions but also sell beer and wine and greeting cards.

It seems like a free for all for meth addicts.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2024 11:50 PM

I only go to Walgreens for flu shots and other shots, not to shop, not for prescriptions. An indie pharmacy near me is so much better than the chain pharmacies. Lower prices, they’ll order stuff they don’t stock, service is friendly and warm, and they’re the insurance whisperers - fix any Rx problem fast.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2024 11:55 PM

CVS no longer sells cigarettes. Walgreens still sells cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2024 11:57 PM

R2 I find just the opposite. I find them much cheaper than CVS. I find CVS marks way up on their retail prices just so they can issue those 'rewards coupons' and 'sales' on the product - which only brings the price down to the every day price at Walgreens. I've comparison shopped both stores many times this summer, and this is what I found in my area.

[quote[I have never been to a Walgreens or a CVS and I don't know why anyone would go.

Because in my area , they're the only game in town located conveniently. All the independent drug stores I grew up with on every corner in my neighborhood were all pushed out / shut down by CVS before the 2000s. They targeted these locations, bought land close by / across the street and built a mega-store with a drive-thru. The corner drugstores had no choice but to close - they couldn't compete with the brand new CVS across the street. (Walgreens did this as well, but CVS was the one which always was a few steps ahead of the competition). The only way the independent stores profited in the end was selling their prescription customer base to CVS.

Drugstores can't sell liquor in my state, and CVS dropped cigarette sales about a dozen years ago.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2024 11:58 PM

Years ago, there was a great thread on here about how surly the cashiers were at Duane Reade. Since Walgreens purchased them, are the cashiers still surly?

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2024 11:59 PM

This will be huge blow in the Midwest such as Illinois and Wisconsin. You can find a Walgreens almost on every corner in Milwaukee.

by Anonymousreply 10October 16, 2024 12:00 AM

CVS and Walgreens over-saturated the market years ago. There are so damn many in my city, it's ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 11October 16, 2024 12:02 AM

I remember about twenty years ago, Walgreens bought all the Rite Aids in my state. They promised they wouldn't close any of the Rite Aid Stores - they would be run separately. They kept that promise for about three months.

by Anonymousreply 12October 16, 2024 12:02 AM

Weren’t Walgreen's pharmacists the ones that reserved the right to withhold medication if it conflicted with their moral values? Boo 👻

by Anonymousreply 13October 16, 2024 12:13 AM

The CVS stores here are the old school dirty carpet dumps. I get prescriptions filled there and that’s it. You can buy meds much cheaper at Kroger or even Ollie’s. Walgreens, ugh, it’s like being in a hospital with the same bright lighting.

by Anonymousreply 14October 16, 2024 12:17 AM

This is what happens when you allow shoplifting.

by Anonymousreply 15October 16, 2024 12:17 AM

Yes, R13, and that's why I stopped going to Walgreens. I switched all my Rx to another pharmacy. (Not CVS; I hate them. I actually like Walgreens much better but made the slight sacrifice not to give them my business anymore.)

by Anonymousreply 16October 16, 2024 12:17 AM

[quote] I have never been to a Walgreens or a CVS and I don't know why anyone would go.

Where do you go then?

by Anonymousreply 17October 16, 2024 12:18 AM

[quote]I have never been to a Walgreens or a CVS and I don't know why anyone would go.

...they are often conveniently located at major thoroughfares and intersections

...it is usually easier and quicker to go to them to pick up a few items than to go a grocery store or big box discount retailer

surely you have realized this.

are you autistic or something?

by Anonymousreply 18October 16, 2024 12:21 AM

[quote] Where do you go then?

where do i go for what?

I'm not dopped up on scripts

by Anonymousreply 19October 16, 2024 12:22 AM

[quote]CVS and Walgreens over-saturated the market years ago. There are so damn many in my city, it's ridiculous.

This is the problem. I've seen it from both chains. Where my parents live in Denver, there are at least 5 Walgreens within a 10 minute drive.

I lived in AZ and CA, and there was the same thing with CVS.

This doesn't even account for the pharmacies at Walmart, Costco, Kroger, Safeway, etc.

by Anonymousreply 20October 16, 2024 12:22 AM

CVS is is laughably more expensive for most things.

The only reason to go to CVS is the wide reach of their pharamcy. Your prescription can be sent to a CVS, but you can actually pick it up at any CVS without transferring the prescription - including pickups in different states.

I also was able to get a flu and covid shot in one state while traveling and have it covered by my insurance even though I live in another.

by Anonymousreply 21October 16, 2024 12:25 AM

[quote] I'm not dopped up on scripts

Oh, dear, and you’ve never been ill?

by Anonymousreply 22October 16, 2024 12:26 AM

I've had a cold, yes. But I don't need a Value Card from CVS for that

by Anonymousreply 23October 16, 2024 12:29 AM

I'm truly curious who the fuck on here is arguing that either Walgreens or CVS has "excellent prices." My area has both, and they are ALWAYS higher than Walmart or Costco, often far so. (Also more than my area's main grocery chain, and Target *used* to be cheaper until CVS took over their pharmacy operations.)

The one & only reason I go to CVS is for prescriptions, since they're the same price on my health plan and I definitely prefer their drive-thru than waiting 20 minutes in line.

by Anonymousreply 24October 16, 2024 12:31 AM

Costco Pharmacy for the win. Their rates aren’t marked up to hell and back like CVS. I use them exclusively because I’ve been without health insurance often enough that Costco drug prices are still reasonable paying out-of-pocket. Prices at CVS/Walgreens are completely outrageous. We’re just paying for their expensive, high-visibility commercial real estate.

by Anonymousreply 25October 16, 2024 12:36 AM

[quote] I'm truly curious who the fuck on here is arguing that either Walgreens or CVS has "excellent prices." My area has both, and they are ALWAYS higher than Walmart or Costco, often far so.

Costco doesn't sell everything that CVS & Walgreens sell.

I don't buy any rx drugs on a regular basis, so this is not my main point of comparison.

Also: convenience & stress factors. The Costco where I live is almost always crowded. Walmart and Target are further, in distance, and crowded.

The CVS and Walgreens are very close and not crowded. I can pretty much go at any time of the day and be OK.

I'm not retired, yet. So, if I do end up paying more for something at Walgreens, so be it.

by Anonymousreply 26October 16, 2024 12:39 AM

We actually had a few large, well-stocked, nice Walgreens close to our area. But then they halved themselves to make room for urgent-healthcare offices occupying their other side and dumped half of their inventory in the process. Believe it or not, meanwhile, our local huge Walmart actually has a fantastic pharmacy with attendant doctors and excellent staff/service.

by Anonymousreply 27October 16, 2024 12:40 AM

I go to an independent pharmacy. Excellent service.

by Anonymousreply 28October 16, 2024 12:52 AM

The Walgreen family was a hot mess in Lake Forest.

by Anonymousreply 29October 16, 2024 1:00 AM

In my small beach town we have a Walgreen's across the street from a CVS. All the local geezers go to CVS. Tourists go to Walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 30October 16, 2024 1:13 AM

^^^I was just about to ask if Walgreen's across the street from CVS at a major intersection is common in parts of the country. In the Dallas area, they do it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 31October 16, 2024 1:45 AM

Whenever I want to transported back to 1998, I visit one of my local Walgreens. The light is extra fluorescent, the floors appear to be white linoleum tiles and the shelves are hideous industrial metal painted white.

by Anonymousreply 32October 16, 2024 1:56 AM

R25 — I got my COVID shot today at Sam's Club. Excellent pharmacy, the pharmacist and his assistants are very nice and considerate to their customers. Whenever I go to Walgreens or CVS, it's like being in some kind of scary ghetto hospital. Sketchy as hell with bad service. You don't even have to be a member of Sam's to use their pharmacy. Warehouse club pharmacies for the win.

by Anonymousreply 33October 16, 2024 1:56 AM

r10 Milwaulgreens?

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2024 2:00 AM

The world will be unbearable with 5 retailers left.

by Anonymousreply 35October 16, 2024 2:01 AM

It feels like there is a Walgreens on every corner in my city. I can predict at least one closing—I stopped in one the other day that I’ve never been into since I’m rarely in that part of town. The shelves were really bare. I had stopped in for like 3 things, which they didn’t have. They didn’t even have Vaseline ! (No, it wasn’t for THAT) There are busier stores within a few miles in any direction. This one will surely close.

by Anonymousreply 36October 16, 2024 2:49 AM

R21: Walgreen does the same thing and has been doing longer than CVS.

by Anonymousreply 37October 16, 2024 3:30 AM

[quote] Whenever I want to transported back to 1998, I visit one of my local Walgreens. The light is extra fluorescent, the floors appear to be white linoleum tiles and the shelves are hideous industrial metal painted white.

I like Target, but it's offensive, also. Cornea-frying lights. Everything is primary-color red. I don't think the layout is that great. The store is kind of bisected and not in a good way.

by Anonymousreply 38October 16, 2024 3:46 AM

R25, just FYI, are you familiar with GoodRX.com? It's been a godsend for friends of mine who don't have health insurance. It's not as cheap as a copay, but you can get most generics (ones that aren't already $4 at Walmart or something) for under $50 for a month's supply.

R26, Costco obviously sells in bulk, but you can *definitely* find nearly everything at a Walgreens or CVS at the supermarket. Interestingly, I've had the opposite experience as you when I've had to buy something at Walgreens: there is ALWAYS a line, and only a single register open. At Target I can do a self-checkout in under two minutes. (It helps that the store is still nearly new and has a huge number of checkout stations.)

by Anonymousreply 39October 16, 2024 3:53 AM

[quote] you can *definitely* find nearly everything at a Walgreens or CVS at the supermarket.

R39, yes, probably. However, OTC drugs and some other things are cheaper at Walgreens / CVS.

When I say "crowded," I'm factoring in the parking lot situation. JMO, but the Costco and Target parking lots in my area can be stressful. If I can go to Costco at night, it's still somewhat crowded, but bearable.

by Anonymousreply 40October 16, 2024 4:12 AM

[quote]I was just about to ask if Walgreen's across the street from CVS at a major intersection is common in parts of the country. In the Dallas area, they do it all the time.

This has always been the strategy for both chains. Same as when Burger King / McDonald's always open up restaurants across the street from one another (or within a quarter mile on the same street). It's all their business strategy.

As for Costco or Sam's Club - none in my region. We just have BJs and there are no 'pharmacies' in our BJs. We just have 'health and beauty aids' sections, but who really needs to buy 12 tubes of toothpaste for $35 when you live alone ? That's when the drugstores come in - you can buy one tube of that same toothpaste for $4 at Walgreens, or for $8 at CVS (but use the 50% off coupon in their app to bring it down the SRP of $4).

by Anonymousreply 41October 16, 2024 12:12 PM

I stopped jumping through Walgreens and CVS price hoops several years ago. All the coupons, "extra bucks", points and gimmicks are tiresome. I just get my toiletries at Target at their everyday low price. Target frequently has the $5 or $10 gift card when you purchase $25 or some other amount on toiletries which is the only game I'll play at this point.

by Anonymousreply 42October 16, 2024 12:21 PM

Walgreens isn't as bad as CVS with the complicated promotions, but on the off chance that you actually have an eligible item, CVS is cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 43October 16, 2024 12:27 PM

way too many Walgreens out there and CVS too. to be profitable.

by Anonymousreply 44October 16, 2024 12:38 PM

R39. "At Target I can do a self-checkout in under two minutes. (It helps that the store is still nearly new and has a huge number of checkout stations.)"

They removed the self-checkouts at Target in San Francisco a number of months ago. This was done for "asset protection" which Target takes very seriously here. The store is loaded with security personnel and they don't let people just walk out with merchandise any more.

by Anonymousreply 45October 16, 2024 12:51 PM

" It's all their business strategy."

R41 obviously working well.🤣

by Anonymousreply 46October 16, 2024 2:36 PM

[quote] who really needs to buy 12 tubes of toothpaste for $35 when you live alone ? That's when the drugstores come in - you can buy one tube of that same toothpaste for $4 at Walgreens, or for $8 at CVS (but use the 50% off coupon in their app to bring it down the SRP of $4).

Why not get 6 tubes of toothpaste in one go? I'm still working (not retired) and this saves me from having to buy one tube of toothpaste at a time. I don't buy my toothpaste from Costco, but I do buy maybe 6 tubes at a time.

by Anonymousreply 47October 16, 2024 4:16 PM

$4 for toothpaste? I can get them at the Dollar store for $1.25.

by Anonymousreply 48October 16, 2024 5:50 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!