Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ukrainian men dragged out of nightclubs by army recruiters

Ukrainian military recruiters launched targeted raids at restaurants, shopping centres and a rock concert over the weekend, detaining men and press-ganging them into the army.

“Get away from me!” one concertgoer shouted at three policemen as they pulled him towards a recruiting desk that had been set up on Friday outside the Palace of Sports in Kyiv, where Okean Elzy, a Ukrainian rock band, had been playing.

The man’s face contorted in fear as he strained against the policemen, video footage showed. Several women filmed the policemen on their smartphones, shouting: “Shame! Shame on you!”

Policemen also waited to intercept men at Goodwine, a nearby shopping centre, and Avalon, a popular restaurant, according to reports.

Eyewitnesses said the police checked all the men’s documents. Those who refused to show documents exempting them from military service, or whose documents were considered faulty, were dragged away.

Under Ukraine’s martial laws, all men between the ages of 25 and 60 are eligible for the army. Men between 18 and 60 are also banned from leaving the country.

Facing a severe shortage of soldiers, Ukraine reduced the mobilisation age to 25 from 27 and scrapped an “only partially eligible” loophole in April. Punishment was also stiffened for men who did not arrive at their summons. Ukraine has also followed Russia by mobilising its prison population.

Western intelligence analysts estimate Russian casualties to stand at more than 650,000 soldiers. The data for Ukraine’s war casualties have not been released, but its casualties are estimated to be a third or a quarter of Russia’s.

Fatigue and fear of being killed on frontlines have sapped Ukrainians’ enthusiasm for signing up to fight in a war that has now lasted for more than two and a half years.

Oleksandr Danylyuk, an associate fellow at the Royal United Services Institute in London, said: “Mobilisation has begun to be perceived as a one-way ticket, where the only way to end service is to die or become disabled.”

Some men are so desperate to escape mobilisation that they are risking their lives to break out of Ukraine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2024 9:44 PM

Scary.

War fucking sucks.

People today don't have the stomach for it.

The only ones who want it are the leaders, who don't have to fight in the war.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1October 15, 2024 9:19 AM

I wouldn't even walk on the street any more, if this is how Ukraine "recruits" soldiers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2October 15, 2024 9:21 AM

R2 They need soldiers to fight because of Putin’s punk ass. This shit is just sad. It reminds me that even with all the dysfunction in our country, this could never happen here. We have a lot to be grateful for.

by Anonymousreply 3October 15, 2024 9:38 AM

Wow! Now tell us how they do it in your country, Boris.

by Anonymousreply 4October 15, 2024 9:41 AM

How or when will this war end? The whole population must be Traumatized. I understand Ukraine is desperate to fight Putin off. Still how scary it would be to be suddenly forced to fight. The Ukrainian people are really up against it. Fucking Putin.

by Anonymousreply 5October 15, 2024 11:47 AM

This is Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine's territorial sovereignty, and the right of Ukrainians to decide their future. It's horrible, but I do not feel much sympathy for young men dancing the night away while others are fighting a necessary war. They are shirking their duty.

And, R3/Prince-Akeem, I assume you are being sarcastic, because I sure as hell can see it happening here.

by Anonymousreply 6October 15, 2024 11:57 AM

[quote]Wow! Now tell us how they do it in your country, Boris.

You think this is acceptable? You’re a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 7October 15, 2024 11:58 AM

R6 I wasn’t being sarcastic actually but who knows. I mean, I never thought an orange lunatic who looks like the Crypt Keeper on a plus sized diet while standing next to some good looking equally deplorable cunt saying all type of foul shit again the first black vice president while quoting John Wayne would be polling at 49%, while about 1/5th of the male members of my own race co-sign the shit. Who the fuck knows anymore.

by Anonymousreply 8October 15, 2024 12:09 PM

“They just take me off street!”

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2024 12:13 PM

r7 No, you're the fucking idiot. Their country is at war for their own land. What do you think would happen to American men in a similar situation? Look no further than the Vietnam draft, and that wasn't even about American territory. You can bet your ass you'd be dragged from a nightclub this way if Arizona was annexed by Mexico and you were losing the war. The problem is, you can't imagine that scenario because you're lucky enough that you'll never have to live through it.

But of course it's easy to moralise from the comfort of your own armchair a world away.

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2024 12:17 PM

I wish them the best in a tough situation. Sadly, all humans are literally born to be used by overlords in some way, whether that's parents, managers, politicians, drill instructors, slavemasters, or more subtle authority figures.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2024 1:00 PM

I think this is a little different from a regular draft when specific individuals could be arrested for not reporting. This is casting a wider net. But it’s certainly not unprecedented.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2024 1:26 PM

Maybe the U.S. should be providing aid to help young men escape from Ukraine. It’s a war of attrition, meaning Ukraine is committed to killing off all eligible men in the country.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2024 1:37 PM

Any one who tells me that this is not the most suffered and disadvantaged sex of the two, clearly is a either brainwashed by extreme feminism or has his own head inside his ass.

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2024 1:41 PM

This is deeply sad to see. It means they're rapidly running out of Ukrainian men *willing* to fight to save their nation. They had so many in 2022-2023.

One grim sign of hope here is that the situation is similar in Russia:

"In recent months, the Russian military has reportedly been forced to dramatically increase the bounties on offer to new recruits. According to investigative Russian news outlet Vyorstka, those who do agree to sign up to fight in Ukraine are now often in very poor health, with the average age of volunteers rising from forty at the start of the invasion to around fifty.

Other signs that Putin is being forced to scrape the bottom of the barrel to replenish the depleted ranks of his army include recent reports that sailors from Russia’s only aircraft carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov, have been withdrawn from naval service and deployed to Ukraine as infantry. Russia is also in the process of passing new legislation that will allow defendants to sign military contracts and avoid prosecution. Tens of thousands of Russian prisoners have already been released from jail to fight in Ukraine."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2024 1:46 PM

[quote]War fucking sucks.

Fucking in wartime actually is rather intense and wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2024 1:50 PM

Could u imagine being 59 and fighting in a war? I’m 36 and my knees and back is fucked.

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2024 1:52 PM

R17 it's grim and sad but a significant % of those age 50-65 who are signing up for that bounty are doing it as a high-probability they'll die or be permanently injured, but at least their surviving family will be a bit better off financially.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2024 1:57 PM

Horrible

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2024 1:59 PM

Maybe the young men should be asked do you mind if your country is taken over by Putin? If they don’t mind they can stay home-simple.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2024 2:04 PM

Can I marry an ukranian man and help him get out of there? I have both American and Spanish citizenship.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2024 2:05 PM

Why is the lonely, mentally ill troll using a different name now?

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2024 2:06 PM

If they don't want to fight, they can cede 1/2 their former country to Russia and hope for the best that Putin doesn't return for the last 1/2 in a couple years.

Them're the rules.

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2024 2:09 PM

R21, Ukrainians are not the most progressive people. They’re homophobic and antisemitic. Leave them be.

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2024 2:10 PM

[quote] [R21], Ukrainians are not the most progressive people. They’re homophobic and antisemitic. Leave them be.

I want Ukraine to win but I checked out early on when its main appeal for aid was to remind the rest of the world that many of them were "blond with blue eyes."

by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2024 2:14 PM

The THOUSANDS who came as refugees/exiles to Switzerland have assimilated quickly into society. They are not going back, no way. They ask for nothing. Switzerland set up large reception processing centres filled with those pleasant little mobile home - emergency shelter units, and restaurants and what not. They cleared out of them within a few months and the centres closed. Within ONE month I saw the mothers standing with their kids in the morning at the bus stops in my neighbourhood to send them to public school. In French, of course! Within a few months the kids were independent. I hear them on public transport nowadays and kids can speak French with each other. These are not stupid people. The adults are invisible in the crowd unless you hear their language. They got jobs and assimilated because they want to stay. Groups who have done this in the past: Balkans, Sri Lankans, Rwandans. The born in Switzerland Sri Lankans and Balkans are in my university now, all grown up. Clever clever clever. And handsome! Maybe it's the smart ones who escape?

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2024 2:23 PM

I bet those Minsk Accords are looking pretty good right now.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2024 3:06 PM

I want Ukraine to win also but realistically we can’t keep funding so much forever.Putin is willing to tactical nuke parts of Ukraine-I believe we will see this. Putin/Zelensky future depends on who wins US race.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2024 3:17 PM

And then you have THIS douchebag.....

[quote] Maksim Chmerkovskiy Details Harrowing Escape From War-Torn Ukraine: "I Feel Guilty"

Dancing With the Stars' Maksim Chmerkovskiy says he is overcome with guilt and trauma after safely escaping war-torn Ukraine.

I feel guilty," the dance pro confessed in a remote interview on Good Morning America March 4. "I feel bad. I feel shame. I feel upset."

The 42-year-old dance pro had shared gripping video dispatches on Instagram while stranded in his native country after Russian began its invasion Feb. 24. "This was not me trying to publicize the situation," he said on GMA. "This was me trying to cry for help. I literally, I was just screaming out, 'This is what I just saw. I just want you to see it, whoever you are.'"

The dance pro was born in Ukraine in 1980, when it was part of the U.S.S.R. He emigrated to the United States with his parents and brother and co-star Valentin Chmerkovskiy in 1994—three years after the Soviet Union fell. Last year, Chmerkovskiy returned to Ukraine to film a local version of the reality show World of Dance in the capital of Kyiv.

He remained there for six months before he flew back to Los Angeles for a surprise Valentine's Day visit to see Peta and Shai. He then returned to Ukraine to resume his work. On Feb. 23, Russian President Vladimir Putin issued an order for "a special military operation" to demilitarize the country and Russian forces invaded Ukraine. Chmerkovskiy was stranded and began releasing video dispatches on Instagram.

He recorded one of his videos from an underground parking lot converted to a makeshift bomb shelter. In another clip, air raid sirens were heard.

"There's air raid alarms everywhere, literally right now, and constant," he said at the time. "This is now no drills. It's no joke. It's non-stop for about a minute, two minutes, three minutes now and it's all around Kyiv."

Back home in Los Angeles, Peta called for prayers. "Please pray that he comes home soon," she wrote on Instagram. "Please pray that he has a swift, safe exit. I have FAITH. I have HOPE and I have PRAYED so hard."

On day two of the violence, Chmerkovskiy said on his Instagram Story that he felt it was too dangerous to try to leave Ukraine, adding, "I have a passport and a way out. A lot of people here do not."

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has declared martial law in his country, which bars Ukrainian male citizens aged 18 to 60 from leaving the country.

On Feb. 28, Chmerkovskiy said in another video that amid the fighting, Ukrainian forces arrested him for breaking curfew. He recalled the experience on GMA.

"They're like, 'Passport.' I pull out my American passport," he said. "[The officer] starts speaking English with me. I'm like, 'I speak Russian.' Then I regretted saying that, I thought maybe I was wrong. But then, the guy next to him goes, 'Oh, that's the judge from Dancing With the Stars. That's Maks. I know him. He's from TV.' He goes, 'Get inside, right now.'"

In an Instagram video posted at the time, Chmerkovskiy told his followers that the moment marked a "reality check" for him and that he was going to try to leave Ukraine. That day, he boarded an overly crowded train and 31 hours later, he made it safely to Warsaw, Poland, and checked into a hotel. He recalled seeing fleeing women and children bid tearful goodbyes to the men who were forced to stay behind, with some families forced to shelter in the freezing train station.

"I felt embarrassed the entire ride back," he said on GMA, "because I was the only man on the train amongst all women and children."

He said he later "realized that all the people that didn't get in have to now sleep right there, in that train station," adding, "There's kids everywhere. Babies everywhere."

Chmerkovskiy soon boarded a flight home to the United States. He landed in Los Angeles on March 2 and had an emotional reunion with Peta at LAX.

Now Chmerkovskiy is beginning to process his personal trauma from the past week, telling GMA he still has "crying moments."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2024 3:41 PM

OP and r3 are Defacto talking to himself.

The very definition of pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2024 3:44 PM

[Quote] I want Ukraine to win also but realistically we can’t keep funding so much forever.Putin is willing to tactical nuke parts of Ukraine-I believe we will see this.

Who are the idiots who keep claiming we are handing Ukraine money?

We are either giving them US surplus weapons that are sitting around unused (which cost us money to maintain), or we are “giving” them weapons or ammo which are bought from US arms manufacturers, bought with the aid money and sent to them. So the money is stating in the U.S. (weapons are bought here) and U.S. jobs are created or maintained by it.

This comment smells like defacto concern trolling. “Why are we giving so much to Ukraine but not to hurricane victims?????” He hears this on Fox “News” and vomits the talking points back up here.

It’s not either/or. Money meant for hurricane victims is not being snatched away and sent to Ukraine. And hurricane victims are aid — despite the fact that the same republicans saying the aid isn’t enough … VOTED AGAINST IT.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2024 4:01 PM

Oh and where is the evidence that the Russians will use tactical nukes in Ukraine? Evidence please.

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2024 4:02 PM

r26 makes me wish we had thousands of Ukrainian refugees in the US instead of the pieces of shit we're actually getting.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2024 8:48 PM

I wonder if they rounded up our little mountain friend yet . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 15, 2024 8:56 PM

[quote]I want Ukraine to win but I checked out early on when its main appeal for aid was to remind the rest of the world that many of them were "blond with blue eyes."

You know what motherfucker? You would do or say whatever you had to get aid when you were in a fucking war zone.

by Anonymousreply 35October 15, 2024 9:04 PM

If only he had enough money to get a DR to say he had bone spurs.

by Anonymousreply 36October 15, 2024 9:38 PM

Exactly. Trump is a disgrace to up proud veterans.

by Anonymousreply 37October 15, 2024 9:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!