Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

York Theater artistic director shitcanned for "hurtful" diversity comments

I KNOW one of you bitches must know what he said that the NYT refused to print for whatever reason. How bad was it??

-------------

The longtime leader of the York Theater Company, a small New York nonprofit known for its emphasis on musical theater, is acknowledging making “hurtful” comments about diversity that he says prompted his abrupt departure from the organization.

James Morgan, who has served as producing artistic director of the York since 1979, and who has been with the company for 50 years, issued a letter on Monday saying that he had suffered a stroke in 2022, and attributed his behavior to that medical incident. “During a recent staff meeting, I responded to a colleague’s concerns about the diversity of our audiences in a way that was inappropriate and hurtful,” Morgan wrote in the letter. “The words came out — at a raised volume that has been one of the side effects of the stroke — differently than I intended them.”

The York is a niche company, founded in 1969, that operates out of a church on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. During fiscal 2023, it had an annual budget of $2.2 million, according to a filing with the Internal Revenue Service; Morgan was paid a salary of $95,000. On Friday at 5 p.m., the company issued a news release saying that Morgan had “resigned from his duties, effective immediately.” Jim Kierstead, the board’s president, raised the diversity issue in his statement in the news release, saying, “We will soon be announcing plans for a future filled with diversity, talent, and musical theater in order to continue our long legacy of supporting artists of all backgrounds.”

It quickly became clear that Morgan’s departure had been preceded by the resignation of Gerry McIntyre, the theater’s associate artistic director. In a resignation letter circulated to board members and posted on Facebook, McIntyre said he had raised concerns about a lack of audience diversity during a video meeting, and that Morgan “started to yell at me.” About one of the theater’s recent shows, he quoted Morgan as saying: “I want you to find anyone who would like this except this audience.” McIntyre said, “His comment immediately struck me as racist.” He added, “The tirade and venom was horrible.”

Neither McIntyre nor Morgan immediately responded to requests for comment, but in his letter, Morgan said: “There’s no question I was being defensive. I’ve tried to make diversity a consideration in everything we do — our programming, our outreach, our hiring, our everything. Were we late coming to the table? Yes. Could we — should we — have been doing more? Always. So, I am heartsick that the words that came out of my mouth reflected the exact opposite of how I feel.”

He added, “I’ve also learned that my aphasia, an after-effect of the stroke, has caused hurt and misunderstandings among the staff. I should have realized that sooner. Whether because of ego or stubbornness — or maybe just cluelessness — I didn’t. And I apologize.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2024 12:15 AM

He’s worked there for 50 years and makes 95k a year. And they couldn’t even give him a graceful exit after all those years. Nice.

by Anonymousreply 1October 14, 2024 11:47 PM

That tie though. Lawd 😱

by Anonymousreply 2October 14, 2024 11:49 PM

He’s fat and unattractive; accordingly, we do not absolve him.

by Anonymousreply 3October 14, 2024 11:49 PM

What did he say. I canceled my NYT subscription weeks ago.

by Anonymousreply 4October 14, 2024 11:56 PM

[Quote] —Prince-Akeem

So did one of your other cosplays get red tagged, fat nose?

Maybe I should create an Italian American cosplay and pepper it with every negative stereotype out there.

Nah, what a total waste of energy — I have a life, unlike certain people I could name.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5October 14, 2024 11:56 PM

O Nvmd I see you pasted the article lol. I thought that your commentary at first.

by Anonymousreply 6October 14, 2024 11:57 PM

He guffawed at the idea of an all-black version of South Pacific.

by Anonymousreply 7October 14, 2024 11:57 PM

He looks like the Chris Farley character who lives in a van by the river.

by Anonymousreply 8October 14, 2024 11:59 PM

What is his datalounge handle

by Anonymousreply 9October 15, 2024 12:01 AM

R2 Teafake for the love of god, how many usernames do you need??

by Anonymousreply 10October 15, 2024 12:03 AM

OP, Sis, get a life out of DL.

The fall leaves are starting to turn…step out of Mother’s basement and enjoy them.

by Anonymousreply 11October 15, 2024 12:19 AM

These people should have been put out to pasture years ago. When was the last time anyone went to that "theater" in the 5th sub basement of the Citicorp Building on the East Side, The few times I went it was like riding an elevator to the ninth circle of hell. Then when you get down there they push those nine dollar cookies on you relentlessly and you're trapped! You also get yelled at by some fat, green and pink haired thing of indeterminate gender to "Stay in line! The house isn't open yet!" "Sorry, the restrooms are out of order, you're on your own ". I did see "Yank" there. Morgan insisted on doing every curtain speech, begged for money and talked about the cookies. Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 12October 15, 2024 12:19 AM

R10 He must be paying DL at least $20 a month by now.

by Anonymousreply 13October 15, 2024 12:20 AM

R3, you savage beast, did you not see

[Quote] known for its emphasis on musical theater,

She’s obviously HERE reading this!!!

by Anonymousreply 14October 15, 2024 12:37 AM

[quote]He guffawed at the idea of an all-black version of South Pacific.

It was probably something innocuous like that.

The radical "woke" liberals take mighty offense when you question "diversity" in any way and automatically brand you a "racist" for doing so.

by Anonymousreply 15October 15, 2024 12:46 AM

[quote]The radical "woke" liberals

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16October 15, 2024 12:49 AM

r15 =

*CNN: More Americans Identify As Republican Than Democrat*

[quote]It's because Democrats have gone too far-left in recent years.

[quote]Radical leftists tend to be anti-America but most Americans (i.e. Republicans and Moderates) are patriotic.

[quote]It doesn't help that so many "woke" liberals on social media, including here on DL, are constantly bashing the USA via posts or video edits.

[quote]People see and listen...

by Anonymousreply 17October 15, 2024 12:51 AM

R15 the article states what he said. All he did was say “do you think anyone would be interesting in seeing this shit besides the audience here” which kinda doesn’t make sense because that is what local, free theater is all about- niche audiences. Anyways, he said it with a raised voice which triggered some soft ass person.

by Anonymousreply 18October 15, 2024 12:53 AM

Completely off topic, but an interesting bit of trivia. York Theater Company was founded by Janet Hayes Walker. Her husband, Charles Dodsley Walker, was cited in The Art Of The Deal as the music teacher whom Trump punched when Trump was in school.

by Anonymousreply 19October 15, 2024 1:02 AM

R19 ahah. A stealth Trump thread. Sly one you are OP.

by Anonymousreply 20October 15, 2024 1:07 AM

I'm a huge fan of the Musicals in Mufti series. I've enjoyed every one that I've seen and my visits to that theatre have always been pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 21October 15, 2024 1:09 AM

I’d like to see an all black South Pacific. Happy Talk is my all time favorite Broadway musical tune! I’d love to hear it afrosized.

by Anonymousreply 22October 15, 2024 1:47 AM

What size?

Afrosize my fries!

by Anonymousreply 23October 15, 2024 2:13 AM

BIG as a HOUSE!!!

by Anonymousreply 24October 15, 2024 2:26 AM

[quote]Happy Talk is my all time favorite Broadway musical tune! I’d love to hear it afrosized.

Ask and you shall receive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 15, 2024 2:44 AM

[Quote] *CNN: More Americans Identify As Republican Than Democrat*

Jesus Christ Defacto, give it a fucking rest. That’s ONE FUCKING POLL.

Another poll in July found the democrats ahead by one point. You didn’t see people here saying GAME OVER REPUBLICANS LOSE AND ARE IRRELEVANT BECAUSE OF THEIR DUMB BADNESS.

by Anonymousreply 26October 15, 2024 3:00 AM

[quote]I’d like to see an all black South Pacific.

They would have to re-name it South LA.

by Anonymousreply 27October 15, 2024 3:08 AM

Sounds like he was over the hill. Too bad he has such a low salary--I wonder if he does other stuff to get by.

by Anonymousreply 28October 15, 2024 3:15 AM

R28 Of course he does. He probably has also produced some shows. Cunts like this usually marry up too. I’m pretty sure he wasn’t always big as a house and convince some Frau to marry, that is if he’s not gay.

by Anonymousreply 29October 15, 2024 3:21 AM

“Of course he does”

Translation

“I googled him and paraphrased the Wikipedia article in my reply”

by Anonymousreply 30October 15, 2024 3:26 AM

R30 I actually didn’t google this fucker. I don’t even get what that means in response to of course he does.

by Anonymousreply 31October 15, 2024 3:27 AM

No R28 these people think they are inviolable and live on party invitations and opening nights. He's fucked unless he married well which is highly unlikely. Things to ponder: would you marry that and have to listen to the trite theater garbage day and night? I'd reach for my shotgun!

by Anonymousreply 32October 15, 2024 11:37 PM

I'm betting they bring Gerry McIntyre back to replace him.

by Anonymousreply 33October 15, 2024 11:50 PM

as much as I enjoyed r12 and share his sentiments, in reporting on this story, I think it's incumbent upon the journalist to, if not explicitly state what the offensive comment was, to give a "censored" version. It makes it hard to evaluate whether I should continue to support this theater, albeit intermittently. I don't want to get in that elevator for a theater that fired a devoted longstanding leader for bullshit reasons.

by Anonymousreply 34October 16, 2024 12:15 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!