Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Historic 82% second week drop for Joker Folie à Deux signals career ender for Joaquin and French idioms in film titles

He won’t get leads anymore, especially coupled with his unprofessionalism with the Haynes movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2024 3:59 PM

This is only her 2nd motion picture right? Everything else has been television right?

by Anonymousreply 1October 13, 2024 3:23 PM

The dumbing of Amurka... People go to the cinema and look for a 'scurry' movie. Or cartoons.

by Anonymousreply 2October 13, 2024 3:25 PM

They courted all these alt-right guys with the first sorry film, just to shit on them with this sorry sequel. But what was the larger purpose of it all lol?

by Anonymousreply 3October 13, 2024 3:25 PM

Gaga will not be blamed because her scenes were cut to 10 minutes. An ironic act of mercy.

by Anonymousreply 4October 13, 2024 3:26 PM

Yeah he's over. Don't forget he had the Napoleon flop last year too.

As for Gaga, love her or hate her this won't end her celebrity but thankfully it does end her film career.

I guess a lot of the straight bros that watched the first film felt that this one was too gay and Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 5October 13, 2024 3:30 PM

Phoenix is talented enough but he needs to take a break for a few years. On the other hand, I can't imagine a studio writing a check to Todd Phillips ever again.

by Anonymousreply 6October 13, 2024 3:35 PM

I’ve asked a question.

by Anonymousreply 7October 13, 2024 3:58 PM

No r1 her second starring role was House of Gucci

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8October 13, 2024 4:00 PM

R8 o ok.

That movie made over 150mil and got a best makeup Oscar nod. Gaga is a STAH.

by Anonymousreply 9October 13, 2024 4:03 PM

Yikes. Everyone involved is to blame for this disaster

by Anonymousreply 10October 13, 2024 4:18 PM

I offered to write, produce, and star in 'Gypsy' last year, but they wrote the check to Phillips instead. I hope they're happy now.

by Anonymousreply 11October 13, 2024 4:22 PM

r1 Right?

by Anonymousreply 12October 13, 2024 4:23 PM

So I did see this on Friday. I did not remember what had gone on in the previous movie so I went in with an open mind.

Whilst watching, I remembered that Arthur was prone to confabulation and fantasies. They continued to showed he was just imagining things.

The songs were cool, and sung expertly, at least by Gaga, but there was too much of it. You don’t go to a purported DC comics movie for song and dance!

The last seconds were the only 🤯😳 parts.

by Anonymousreply 13October 13, 2024 6:36 PM

[quote]The dumbing of Amurka... People go to the cinema and look for a 'scurry' movie. Or cartoons.

Why the fuck are you assuming people aren't going because they have "bad taste"? "Joker 2" is one of the worst, and most bizarre, superhero movies ever, and not because it lacks actual heroes. On a core conceptual basis, the only film idea in recent memory that was even more ill-conceived is the legendary "Cats" movie flop.

It's a perfect example of an excessively lauded director given final cut and not merely squandering the film, but possibly his entire career. DC fanboys have about as little interest in watching a musical as DLers do watching "Duck Dynasty."

[quote]Yeah he's over. Don't forget he had the Napoleon flop last year too.

AND he already pissed off a huge chunk of Hollywood by dropping out of his role as a gay man in Todd Haynes' newest movie only five days before filming started. Even by Hollywood standards that was batshit and megadiva, and it resulted in hundreds of crew members being shitcanned as a result.

by Anonymousreply 14October 13, 2024 8:09 PM

Lady Fuckface fans before the movie came out: She’s going to win an Oscar for this so suck it. She is going to be a huge move star now with the biggest box office success in years. She’ll likely win TWO Oscars. Ahahahahahahaha

Now: ummm ohhhh she is only in it 10 minutes (because her other scenes sucked). This won’t hurt her at all. It wasn’t like they didn’t plaster her name all over this. Derrrrrrr

She is not a movie star. She had one success 8 years ago because of Bradley Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 15October 13, 2024 9:34 PM

The movie is a disaster. Making it a musical was a mistake. But so many plot elements were awful, it turned off the core audience.

by Anonymousreply 16October 13, 2024 9:58 PM

R15, is Gaga *literally* in that little of it – but excessively hyped, a la Zendaya in the first "Dune" movie – or is that hyperbole? (Considering it's a musical, it seems like she'd be center stage for it, unless Joaquin has singing abilities no one knows about.)

by Anonymousreply 17October 13, 2024 11:04 PM

Audiences today don’t like musicals. It stood no chance period.

by Anonymousreply 18October 13, 2024 11:12 PM

R18, it hasn't been THAT long since "La La Land" was a massive hit with both critics & audiences. "A Star Is Born" isn't a literal musical, but it's at least similar and obviously has one of the same stars. It's not that audiences don't like musicals; it's that every musical film in recent years had sucked ass. And not in a good way. "Cats" alone may have killed the musical for a decade.

by Anonymousreply 19October 13, 2024 11:26 PM

Oh yes like Ishtar ended Hoffman and Beatty’s careers. I remember when that happened.

by Anonymousreply 20October 13, 2024 11:35 PM

[quote]Audiences today don’t like musicals. It stood no chance period.

Nonsense! I have an appointment with Paramount Studios in the morning, to finally get the greenlight for 'Sunset Boulevard : The Andrew Lloyd Webber Musical'. We'll start filming on Wednesday.

by Anonymousreply 21October 13, 2024 11:37 PM

We need another “West side Story”… oh, wait.

by Anonymousreply 22October 13, 2024 11:56 PM

R19 many people went to see La La Land and A Star is Born but did they like the movie or were they well-hyped. They both sucked as far as I'm concerned.

by Anonymousreply 23October 14, 2024 12:01 AM

R17 Hyperbole, but they did cut her scenes because she was awful as HQ.

“I maka da pizza” and now this? She’s over.

by Anonymousreply 24October 14, 2024 12:28 AM

[quote] Audiences today don’t like musicals.

Ahem

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25October 14, 2024 1:54 AM

$600 million ... groundbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 26October 14, 2024 1:56 AM

[quote] $600 million ... groundbreaking.

My movie grossed that too....if you put a minus in front of it!

by Anonymousreply 27October 14, 2024 1:20 PM

Is it so bad not even the maladjusted Incel fanbois from the first movie can save it, then? Wow. Must be utter shit.

by Anonymousreply 28October 14, 2024 2:09 PM

Heaven’s Gate vibes

by Anonymousreply 29October 14, 2024 3:04 PM

The straight bros who are the core audience for these films wanted action and psycho behavior and explosions. They did not want to watch a courtroom drama and Lady Gaga singing standards. It was an unbelievably tone-deaf creative decision for this type of genre.

by Anonymousreply 30October 14, 2024 6:10 PM

[quote]He won’t get leads anymore, especially coupled with his unprofessionalism with the Haynes movie.

I think he'll be all right.

He's married to (and has kids with) Rooney Mara, who comes from NFL royalty -- mom's family Rooney founded/own the Pittsburgh Steelers, Dad's family Mara founded/own the New York Giants.

by Anonymousreply 31October 14, 2024 6:14 PM

The decision to have it be a musical with Lady Gaga certainly was a tone-deaf, bad decision all around when it comes to pleasing the genre fans.. But it does say something about Gaga’s appeal as well. Her appeal is overestimated . The general public just ain’t that into her. Yes she has her core fan base, but even her last album sold only 25k in its first week and about 5k in its second week. This will not bode well for her leading lady prospects going forward.

by Anonymousreply 32October 14, 2024 7:21 PM

Gaga is 38. If she wants to be a real movie star, she better get movin'.

by Anonymousreply 33October 14, 2024 8:11 PM

Phoenix and Gaga are known entities. I think they'll survive this relatively unscathed. The problem is Warner Brothers gave Phillips a shitload of money and told him he could do whatever he wanted, and ultimately he made all the wrong decisions.

by Anonymousreply 34October 14, 2024 9:23 PM

Damn! Paul Schrader didn't hold back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35October 14, 2024 11:02 PM

Gaga will be fine. I don't see anyone specifically blaming her performance. Yes, she was marketed as a lead, but she's a huge star and household name. Of course they were going to do that.

She wasn't a producer. She was just along for the ride. And she did her job well enough, by all accounts. And if straight bros think any film with Gaga in it is "too gay" just don't cast her in straight bro films. Easy enough. She'll continue to work in film if she wants to.

I don't think Phoenix will get much blame either. Again, no one is saying he sucked in the film. I do think he'll get shit for the what he did to the Todd Haynes movie, however. That was shitty.

Todd Phillips deserved - and I think will get - all the blame. This was all his creation. 100%. He wanted to piss off his audience and he did just that.

by Anonymousreply 36October 14, 2024 11:37 PM

Absolute disaster

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37October 14, 2024 11:44 PM

She will not be a lead in a movie after this. No one goes to see a film because of her. The general public is not that into her and never have been. She’s not attractive, is old now, and her “acting” is exposed as mediocre at best. You can see her acting from Pluto.

by Anonymousreply 38October 14, 2024 11:58 PM

Joaquin is a respected actor but not much of a draw on his own. He tends to stick with dark films like 'Beau Is Afraid' and 'You Were Never Really Here.' Gaga will be fine, her performance didn't get slammed or blamed. I think the only person in career jeopardy is Todd Phillips. He'll get the majority of the blame for it misfiring.

by Anonymousreply 39October 15, 2024 12:11 AM

And, the Terrifier movies are becoming a Halloween tradition. I think they're awful films and I LOVE horror but these don't have a plot and are just exercises in cruelty and gore but they are a success as a sort of an annual haunted house event.

by Anonymousreply 40October 15, 2024 12:23 AM

She paid for her reviews. Fine? She doesn’t have a career in film at least not as a movie star. She isn’t good enough. She doesn’t have the looks. She doesn’t have the charisma. She isn’t a box office draw. So yes, fine if only because she wasn’t a big movie star to begin with. But this stink will stick to her, too. She’ll go to streaming shows next.

The first Terrifier was great. The second was stupid. The third sounds stupid.

by Anonymousreply 41October 15, 2024 12:26 AM

When asked what he didn’t like about the musical aspect of the film, Schrader was equally as blunt – Joaquin Phoenix and Lady Gaga.

“I don’t like either of those people,” he said. “I don’t like them as actors. I don’t like them as characters. I don’t like the whole thing. I mean, those are people who, if they came to your house, you’d slip out the back door.”

Then why did Paul Schrader choose to see a film starring 2 people he can't stand?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42October 15, 2024 12:39 AM

I walked out halfway through; and I was on a plane.

by Anonymousreply 43October 15, 2024 12:44 AM

R42 He gave them a chance which is more than moviegoers were willing to give this turd and them.

by Anonymousreply 44October 15, 2024 1:11 AM

R31 Jamie Bell also married into that super rich family via her sister Kate, so he and Joaquin are brothers-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 45October 15, 2024 1:19 AM

[quote]Todd Phillips deserved - and I think will get - all the blame. This was all his creation. 100%. He wanted to piss off his audience and he did just that.

That kind of reminds me of when Julie Powell briefly became a frau fan favorite after her book JULIE & JULIA was turned into a hit rom-com starring Amy Adams as her and Meryl Streep as Julia Child, who was Oscar-nominated for her performance.

But then she went and royally pissed off her new frau fans by deliberately cheating on her husband (played by Chris Messina in the film) and then writing a tell-all, follow-up book, which, not surprisingly, flopped and she never had another success.

What possesses some people to self-sabotage like that?

by Anonymousreply 46October 15, 2024 1:34 AM

R44 Sounds like he had an axe to grind before he watched 20 minutes and left

by Anonymousreply 47October 15, 2024 2:28 AM

R47 I’d have an axe to grind watching Lady Fuckface trying to act.

by Anonymousreply 48October 15, 2024 2:57 AM

She can't have a solo hit song so she'll be begging some artist more popular than her which is 99% of them, to feature so she can try to save her career.

by Anonymousreply 49October 15, 2024 3:59 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!